Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2021, 21:38   #14086
BHPian
 
Pequod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 119
Thanked: 422 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
OCD question.

Is the mute slider on the iPhones a bit 'wobbly' by design? I've noticed it on more than one device in my circle across models, and it's a wee bit annoying.
Yes, it is - and yes maybe I am a bit OCD about my gadgets too
Pequod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 22:30   #14087
BHPian
 
GautamJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: BOM
Posts: 119
Thanked: 426 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Is the mute slider on the iPhones a bit 'wobbly' by design?
As suggested by other BHPians, the mute/silent slider is rather affirmative. My conclusion is based on 7, 11 Pro, SE 2020, 12 and 12 Pro.

My dadís 11 Pro is ~2 years old and battery capacity IIRC is below 80%, just thinking to upgrade dadís device to 13 Pro. But, his device is performing as per his needs so scared not to make another impulsive decision.
GautamJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 23:04   #14088
Senior - BHPian
 
Cyborg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,341
Thanked: 2,736 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
I dont want to use any 3rd party apps for transferring my messages.
Since you have already set up your iPhone, donít know any easy way to transfer messages without a third party app. The link (third party app) I am attaching seems very solid for doing what you want. Maybe someone can chip in if there is an easy way in your circumstance without a third party app.

https://mobiletrans.wondershare.com/...to-iphone.html

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 23:40   #14089
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 890
Thanked: 1,621 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
I had the exact same thought process initially. However an important point we miss is the bezels around 6s. Its not just the screen, but the entire physical phone u hold and operate. So actual dimensions are to be compared. When I compared that the 12mini/13mini actually is smaller.

Attachment 2214966
Those are the physical dimensions. The 12 series have smaller side bezels due to the squared off edges. I measured the screen width of my 6s vs my wife's 12 mini with a scale and the 12 mini's width is only a shade lesser than the 6S's.
civic-sense is offline  
Old 5th October 2021, 00:37   #14090
Senior - BHPian
 
SoumenD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: India
Posts: 1,402
Thanked: 4,286 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Those are the physical dimensions. The 12 series have smaller side bezels due to the squared off edges. I measured the screen width of my 6s vs my wife's 12 mini with a scale and the 12 mini's width is only a shade lesser than the 6S's.
Physical dimension would matter when you hold the phone and try to operate with one hand, so I don’t see a point of just comparing display size and expecting the mini to be close to 6s.

I was talking about the top and bottom bezels which are huge in 6s. Anyways I have physically held the phone and checked before making the statement and suggest everyone to do that to check if the size works for them

Last edited by SoumenD : 5th October 2021 at 00:48.
SoumenD is online now  
Old 5th October 2021, 01:03   #14091
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 890
Thanked: 1,621 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Physical dimension would matter when you hold the phone and try to operate with one hand, so I don’t see a point of just comparing display size and expecting the mini to be close to 6s.

I was talking about the top and bottom bezels which are huge in 6s. Anyways I have physically held the phone and checked before making the statement and suggest everyone to do that to check if the size works for them
I may have mistaken, but what I understood from your post was you went for the 12 because the 12 mini was too small - in fact narrower than your 6s. All I was saying was, it is not. 12 mini has the same screen width as the 6s even though its overall width is lesser than the 6s, which is a good thing.

Anyway that is all water under the bridge, so enjoy your phone. The screen size of the mini is not big enough for media consumption and you will get used to the size in no time.

I was eyeing the 12 myself and the flipkart offer was tantalizing, but held back as I went for an ipad air 4 and didn't have the dough for a new phone. Also I couldn't have justified buying another phone after buying a edge 20 just weeks ago.

Last edited by Sheel : 5th October 2021 at 09:14. Reason: Typo.
civic-sense is offline  
Old 5th October 2021, 06:50   #14092
Team-BHP Support
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 6,737
Thanked: 10,257 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Pick up an Apple Watch and you don't have to key in password every time. The watch opens the phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Thanks. I have no real use for a smart-watch otherwise, so it would make for a rather expensive phone unlocking mechanism .
Yes, and you need to wear the watch to have this feature work. I find it very useful, as I have the watch on most of the time. Not much of a use if the watch is used just as a fitness device.

On a side note, I wonder how difficult it will be for Apple to have the fingerprint sensor (additional method to supplement face id) on the side button. They already have it on the iPad Air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Is the mute slider on the iPhones a bit 'wobbly' by design? I've noticed it on more than one device in my circle across models, and it's a wee bit annoying.
Never had an issue with the mute slider. In fact, happy that Apple retained that feature for so long Ė a bit like having physical buttons/controls in cars (compared to touch screens)
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 07:43   #14093
Senior - BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai/Bengaluru
Posts: 3,032
Thanked: 9,707 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

That's so cool. And one more thing, the 'watch unlocking phone' feature stopped working in ios15 update. Today I received the 15.01 update just to resolve this issue. Need to test that
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Yes, and you need to wear the watch to have this feature work. I find it very useful, as I have the watch on most of the time. Not much of a use if the watch is used just as a fitness device.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 08:12   #14094
Team-BHP Support
 
Chetan_Rao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,709
Thanked: 18,314 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Functionality question.

What are my options to turn off work apps en masse at the end of my work day, or when out-of-office (weekend/vacation etc.)? I'm used to the Android work profile, which means it's a single tap in the quick settings drop down to enable/disable the entire work apps container.
Chetan_Rao is offline  
Old 5th October 2021, 08:26   #14095
Team-BHP Support
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 6,737
Thanked: 10,257 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
That's so cool. And one more thing, the 'watch unlocking phone' feature stopped working in ios15 update. Today I received the 15.01 update just to resolve this issue. Need to test that
It did not stop; the feature was working well on my 12 mini after iOS 15 update. The 15.0.1 says 'Unlock iPhone with Apple Watch may not work iPhone 13 models'. I did face the second issue mentioned - Settings app incorrectly displaying alert that storage is full. This is now fixed with 15.0.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Functionality question.
What are my options to turn off work apps en masse at the end of my work day, or when out-of-office (weekend/vacation etc.)? I'm used to the Android work profile, which means it's a single tap in the quick settings drop down to enable/disable the entire work apps container.
I maybe wrong, but I think (in iPhone) there is no work-profile option as in Android.
vb-san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 08:45   #14096
Team-BHP Support
 
Chetan_Rao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,709
Thanked: 18,314 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
...
I maybe wrong, but I think (in iPhone) there is no work-profile option as in Android.
Yes, as far as I can tell from a few days of setting it up with the same apps as my Android and playing around with settings, Apple didn't do it because iOS natively containerises app data, so it's easier to isolate individual apps by applying policies.

The closest analogue is setting up various 'Focus' modes in iOS 15, but that's more notification management than actually disabling anything (my phone still chewed through its battery overnight).

My biggest peeve so far is the keyboard though. Native iOS keyboard is more accurate with click recognition, but when one types/edits as much on-the-go as I do, every unnecessary click gets annoying. I'm rather spoiled by the Android GBoard experience, one do-it-all view and slick editing (scroll, selective mass delete etc.). A shame the iOS GBoard app is nowhere near as good.

The iPhone Thread-screenshot_20211005084111.jpg

I like iOS, the polished UI and the intuitive features, but it can't get out of my way fast enough sometimes. Testing crossing the great divide goes on!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th October 2021 at 08:50.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 09:05   #14097
Team-BHP Support
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 6,737
Thanked: 10,257 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
My biggest peeve so far is the keyboard though. Native iOS keyboard is more accurate with click recognition, but when one types/edits as much on-the-go as I do, every unnecessary click gets annoying. I'm rather spoiled by the Android GBoard experience, one do-it-all view and slick editing (scroll, selective mass delete etc.). A shame the iOS GBoard app is nowhere near as good.
Oh yes, this was one area I found my old Pixel 2 XL vastly superior. But now kind of used to the GBoard experience in iOS

The iPhone Thread-file2.jpeg

All considered, the finesse offered by an iPhone is quite unmatched. My wife who was a loyal Samsung Note customer, jumped the ship last week for a 13 pro max (from Note 20 Ultra). I will try and hold on to my 12 mini for another year (and skip the 13 series), but not very sure if I will be successful at that
vb-san is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 14:57   #14098
BHPian
 
Turbo_anup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Delhi / Dublin
Posts: 95
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Finally, bit the bullet and got the 12 mini by exchanging my iphone 7. Great deal going on flipkart for the mini - got the 128 gb version. Coming from an iphone 7, the 12 mini feels from another generation all together. Am still not used to face id and find it not as intuitive as touch id.

However, performance, speed, display clarity and storage upgrades over 7 were too good to resist. Only qualm is that have heard that 13 series has better battery life than 12 series & that is where i loose on with a 12 mini.

A query to fellow Bhpians - there is also a great deal on 2nd gen air pods which are seliing @ 8,990/- and with credit card offer - this come to about 8,000/-. Is this a good enough offer for these to take a plunge?
Turbo_anup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 21:22   #14099
Senior - BHPian
 
Durango Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,865
Thanked: 4,689 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Biggest deal breaker for me is the camera..I find the 11 pro max quiet good and stick with it, since it's a 512 GB and move when I feel the camera upgrade is worth the change...few pics from my 11 pro max taken recently...at Phoenix Market City Chennai and Hamsa Chennai
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-img_8507001.jpg  

The iPhone Thread-img_8523001.jpg  

The iPhone Thread-img_9263001.jpg  

The iPhone Thread-img_9267001.jpg  

The iPhone Thread-img_9270004.jpg  

The iPhone Thread-img_9280001.jpg  

Durango Dude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 21:44   #14100
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Jaipur/Mumbai
Posts: 271
Thanked: 785 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post

A query to fellow Bhpians - there is also a great deal on 2nd gen air pods which are seliing @ 8,990/- and with credit card offer - this come to about 8,000/-. Is this a good enough offer for these to take a plunge?
I think this is the best deal ever on AirPods that Iíve seen. In the last BBD on Flipkart, Airpods 2 was available for 9999/-. However, it was a hoax because while ordering it said the Pincode is not serviceable. This time it was available for 8099/- and took the plunge. I got them yesterday and I think itís pretty cool and convenient to use. Go for it.
sahil624 is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks