Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2023, 11:33   #15586
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Folks living in India are lucky that you can get a 2TB for INR 750/month. In US, it's $30/month.
A question here:

What happens if we buy the storage plan when you are in India and then you travel to US for work? Does your Indian plan become defunct and you will be required to move to teh US plan?
Old 19th April 2023, 21:25   #15587
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post

What happens if we buy the storage plan when you are in India and then you travel to US for work? Does your Indian plan become defunct and you will be required to move to teh US plan?
It's tied to your Apple ID region/country.

You can 'technically' keep it tagged to India while traveling abroad, but it would also mean you can only access apps/services offered in India.

Doable for short stints, but if you intend to stay longer (or relocate) and need an app/service specific to your destination (e.g. a banking/payment/transportation app), you would need to update your region, cancel and re-enroll for subscriptions.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th April 2023 at 21:30.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 08:44   #15588
Team-BHP Support

How much does the battery for the 11 cost?

My phone is now ~3.5 years old and shows signs of heating: while charging, and when being used quite a bit continuously. The battery life isn't great either, and Battery Health has been showing "Service" for a while.

I'd like to keep this phone for another ~2 years; targeting 15/16 in late '24/early '25 so planning on rejuvenating the phone to last the distance.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 20th April 2023 at 08:50.
Old 20th April 2023, 09:19   #15589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I don’t think there’s any standard pricing. Earlier this year I changed battery of an iPhone X. When enquired in Bangalore apple service centre, they mentioned 8k, but in Kolkata service center they charged 5k. Got it changed there. Earlier as well I had changed batteries of our previous 6 & 6s in Raipur apple service and they charged lesser than bangalore.

So since X cost me 5k in January, I assume for 11 it should cost you ~6k considering prices have gone up post March.
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 13:31   #15590
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Apple India website shows an estimate of INR 8400. Interestingly, the battery replacement cost is same across iPhone 11 to 13 models (including 13 Pro Max). Though iPhone is expensive to buy in India (compared to say Singapore), the battery replacement cost doesn't look too far off. Here it is SGD 129 (~ INR 7950).

The iPhone Thread-capture.jpg
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 13:37   #15591
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
So since X cost me 5k in January, I assume for 11 it should cost you ~6k considering prices have gone up post March.
The prices of battery replacements have shot up since March '23. The cost for IP 11 and above is ~7k - 7.5k. Again depending upon the stores; some even charge as high as 8k.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 15:50   #15592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
It will depend on the individual usage pattern as well. iCloud is good but you need mobile data / WiFi to get access to the content. As a habit, I keep one year of media saved in the local phone gallery for easy reference (handy when there is no 5G connectivity, or while on data roaming). My daughter’s 128 GB 13 Pro Max gets filled up very fast, especially when we travel (thanks to the Netflix shows and YouTube videos she download and keep. And with the 14 Pro/ Pro Max it's really easy to fill up 128 GB, thanks to the 48MP camera and 4K ProRes video.
All I am saying is compare the 128 GB model vs. 256 GB and 512GB and see if it makes economic sense to get it.

A quick search shows that 128GB Promax is 99K and 512 GB is 150K. It's a ridiculous price difference just for storage option.

I would rather pay the 2 TB (750/month) or 1TB which is more than enough for 500/month.

If you keep the phone for 3 years, it would be still 18K in overall cost + the benefits of keeping the data in high quality which is available across the devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I think Apple will ditch the 128 GB option at least for the 15 Pro models and go with 256 GB as the starting storage option.
I'm eagerly waiting for 15 Promax. And, hope they launch it with 256 GB as starting storage option. But, in hindsight I don't like keeping things on phone (feels cluttered to have too much data like 300 GB or more on a phone).

I keep a year worth of data on phone and rest is available on my "beck & call" via. the iCloud.

Quote:
A question here:

Query is not clear. Is it just a short trip or you are relocating?

If it's a short trip, nothing changes.

If you are relocating. Then it makes sense to change the Apple ID to US region so everything functions as it should as per that region.
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 18:54   #15593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
It's tied to your Apple ID region/country.

You can 'technically' keep it tagged to India while traveling abroad, but it would also mean you can only access apps/services offered in India.

Doable for short stints, but if you intend to stay longer (or relocate) and need an app/service specific to your destination (e.g. a banking/payment/transportation app), you would need to update your region, cancel and re-enroll for subscriptions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Query is not clear. Is it just a short trip or you are relocating?

If it's a short trip, nothing changes.

If you are relocating. Then it makes sense to change the Apple ID to US region so everything functions as it should as per that region.
I will be traveling for 6 months to start, and whether it will be extended will be decided later. It is not a permanent relocation, though.

What are the services that I'd be missing if I do not change the region to US? By banking apps, do you mean my BofA account app will not work in my phone? Will Apple Pay work? And will my Indian Google pay continue to work if I do not change the region (I'd like this)?
Old 20th April 2023, 20:19   #15594
BHPian

Quote:
I will be traveling for 6 months to start, and whether it will be extended will be decided later. It is not a permanent relocation, though.

What are the services that I'd be missing if I do not change the region to US? By banking apps, do you mean my BofA account app will not work in my phone? Will Apple Pay work? And will my Indian Google pay continue to work if I do not change the region (I'd like this)?
If you are travelling for 6 months, I would highly recommend you change the region. A lot of apps such as local metro and Banks would not show up in your App Store if your region is India. Apple Pay will not work and is a major bummer in a country like the US where it is accepted almost everywhere. Google pay would work even if you changed your region (Tried this in SG and Dubai).
dheer4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 21:18   #15595
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

What are the services that I'd be missing if I do not change the region to US?
If you do decide to change your Apple ID region, I'd recommend you read what it entails carefully. From what I understood, it involves canceling all subscriptions (Apple One, iCloud+, Music etc.) and re-subscribing after updating your region settings. Caution advised so you don't end up losing your personal data in the process.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201389
Old 21st April 2023, 14:44   #15596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheer4 View Post
If you are travelling for 6 months, I would highly recommend you change the region. A lot of apps such as local metro and Banks would not show up in your App Store if your region is India. Apple Pay will not work and is a major bummer in a country like the US where it is accepted almost everywhere. Google pay would work even if you changed your region (Tried this in SG and Dubai).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If you do decide to change your Apple ID region, I'd recommend you read what it entails carefully. From what I understood, it involves canceling all subscriptions (Apple One, iCloud+, Music etc.) and re-subscribing after updating your region settings. Caution advised so you don't end up losing your personal data in the process.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201389
Thanks!

I have an iCloud subscription that I share with my family, co cannot cancel that. So would it be safe to create another AppleID for use in the USA and revert to the old one when I come back to India?
Old 23rd April 2023, 10:54   #15597
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
... So would it be safe to create another AppleID for use in the USA and revert to the old one when I come back to India?
Yes, probably be best to create a separate Apple ID with necessary region and payment settings to avoid the hassle on your primary ID.

If you have a backup phone, you can even skip the hassle of switching IDs back & forth, just keep one device setup for US (or wherever you travel abroad).
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2023, 15:55   #15598
BHPian

Hello everyone, I will be purchasing an iPhone 14 Pro Max in Dubai. Will the USA version (Dual E Sim) work properly in India?
Old 25th April 2023, 18:41   #15599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Travelling through Singapore this coming weekend. Thinking of picking up the 14 in the new yellow shade. With the ability to claim back GST when leaving Singapore, would it be worth it to buy it from there or better value to just get it in India?

I do have 2 phones that I am carrying with me that I would be happy to exchange if that is even an option in Singapore:

- S21 5G
- S20 FE 5G

Anyone know of any good places or shops to get a good deal in Singapore?

Thanks.
The prices in the apple store in the city are more or less same as in India. You can try the duty free apple store at Changi. I got my iphone 14 from there and cost me a tad cheaper than India, i think about 6K cheaper.

Regards
Diesel
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 13:15   #15600
Senior - BHPian

My sister and her husband recently settled back in India (Bangalore) and their iPhones (13 mini and xs) are apparently getting hot a lot even with general usage. To a point where it even switches off.

Any guidance?

Last edited by deathwalkr : 28th April 2023 at 13:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks