Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2023, 18:09   #15571
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
My iPhone 14 stops charging every now and then after it crosses about 85 % saying 'Charging on hold and will restart once the phone cools down'.
Wireless charging causes heat building due to the charging coils inside the phone. I'd use a normal Apple wall charger if I were you.
Old 7th April 2023, 18:30   #15572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Wireless charging causes heat building due to the charging coils inside the phone. I'd use a normal Apple wall charger if I were you.
Yea, I did a bit of research and reached the same conclusion. Looks like many people have this issue even with MagSafe chargers. So it is nothing to do with the charging pad, but something to do with Appe's way of doing things.

It is very inconvenient though. My primary phone, S23U charges very quickly through wireless charging and it would have been great if the IPhone 14 also could use the same pad. Now I have to keep a separate wired charger on my desk just for my backup phone. That is too much of a hassle. I think I will just live with the fact that this thing can only charge up to 90%.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 7th April 2023 at 18:39.
Old 17th April 2023, 09:40   #15573
BHPian

I am in a bit of a dilemma and would appreciate any advice available:

I am an iPhone 14 Pro Max user, absolutely loving it after switching from Android. No going back to Android ever for me.

Now my wife has a Samsung S21, bought in UK a couple of years ago for a crazy good deal from Samsung UK, for about INR40,000 after exchanging an old worthless Android phone. She has seen ads for the Yellow iPhone 14 and absolutely loves it. I would like to buy it for her as a gift but have the following questions:

1) Would it really be a worthwhile upgrade from the S21, in terms of speed etc? Of course I know the UI is 100x better on iOS and that makes all the difference, but her S21 is no slouch either.

2) I am flying back from Singapore and can get the iPhone 14 128GB for INR66k. I believe that is a really good price, even cheaper than USA, but could someone let me know if I am right?

3) How would the iPhone 14 fare with regards to drops and being kept in a ladies handbag (with all the other sharpish stuff in there)? The S21 is pretty abuse friendly as it has a plastic back. She will have a case, most likely a flip cover. Of course I keep mine in my pocket so no issues but not so practical to do so for women.

4) Is the dual camera setup on the 14 better than the S21? I have the Pro Max with the triple camera setup so not sure what the differences would be with the regular 14. She needs a good camera for her work so this is very important.

5) Cashify gives me a combined price of 18k for her S21 and 12k my old S20 FE 5G (less than a year old). So the realistic price I will pay is just 36k for the upgrade. Worthwhile?

6) What is the battery life like on the 14? Any real world experiences?

Thanks in advance for the help, just need to bounce some thoughts to get some perspective.
s4ch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 10:25   #15574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Hoping she's not on the forum else the surprise goes away. I gifted a 14 Pro Max to my wife last year. Good fit will need to be acquired or will depend on the peripheral devices she already has like watch, tablet, door cams, ear phones etc.

Build - It's heavy & strong. Fell on my feet once and took a while for the pain to go away.

Camera - Amazing. We have had A3 size photos printed from photos taken with it.

Battery - Takes an entire day of heavy use.

No Samsung's at home.
vinu_h is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 11:02   #15575
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I am an iPhone 14 Pro Max user,
Do keep in mind that the camera, battery and display all will be inferior (relatively) in iPhone 14 that you'll get for your wife vis-a-vis your own 14 Pro Max.
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 11:46   #15576

Hi,
Planning to get an Iphone 14 Pro from the US. Any clue if the unlocked one will have any issue in India? Read somewhere that US and Canada Apple watches with Wifi+Cellular will have issues here, hence checking.
Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 11:54   #15577
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1) Would it really be a worthwhile upgrade from the S21, in terms of speed etc? Of course I know the UI is 100x better on iOS and that makes all the difference, but her S21 is no slouch either.
It is a newer generation, but how much of an upgrade the regular 14 will be – not so much I would say. Its effectively the iPhone 13 with a newer packaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch
3) How would the iPhone 14 fare with regards to drops and being kept in a ladies handbag (with all the other sharpish stuff in there)? The S21 is pretty abuse friendly as it has a plastic back. She will have a case, most likely a flip cover. Of course I keep mine in my pocket so no issues but not so practical to do so for women.
It will be absolutely fine. Just get a case + screen protector, which is kind of mandatory for any new phone with glass body all around.

Quote:
4) Is the dual camera setup on the 14 better than the S21? I have the Pro Max with the triple camera setup so not sure what the differences would be with the regular 14. She needs a good camera for her work so this is very important.
Standard iPhone setup – nothing fancy, and the output will feel more ‘real’ compared to the Samsung (closer to your Pro Max’s main camera + ultrawide setup). If she use the telephoto often, that will be missed in the regular 14.

Quote:
6) What is the battery life like on the 14? Any real world experiences?
Easily will last a whole day.

Understand the liking for the new yellow colour, but otherwise I don’t think the 14 will feel like a real upgrade from the S21. If she want to shift to iOS, maybe 14 Pro will be a better option. Or, have a look at the S23 base model – here in Singapore, the 256 GB one will be cheaper than the 128 GB iPhone 14. And that will feel like a real upgrade from the S21.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 12:21   #15578
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balboa View Post
Hi,
Planning to get an Iphone 14 Pro from the US. Any clue if the unlocked one will have any issue in India? Read somewhere that US and Canada Apple watches with Wifi+Cellular will have issues here, hence checking.
Thanks
Don't know about the watch since I dont have one, but I got my 14 from the US and it works flawlessly here.
Eddy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 13:22   #15579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Do keep in mind that the camera, battery and display all will be inferior (relatively) in iPhone 14 that you'll get for your wife vis-a-vis your own 14 Pro Max.
Absolutely right. 14 Promax or the Promax models are the flagship and real beasts of the line up. Every other iPhone will feel inferior in comparison.

Quote:

I am an iPhone 14 Pro Max user, absolutely loving it after switching from Android. No going back to Android ever for me.
Nice to know. Once hooked to Apple, it lands you with line and sinker (completing the sentence).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balboa View Post
Hi,
Thanks
No such issues. Unlocked iPhones work flawlessly in India and also with AW watches. I would however recommend getting the GPS version. The problem if at all might be due to the cellular version.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 21:05   #15580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Hoping she's not on the forum else the surprise goes away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
It is a newer generation, but how much of an upgrade the regular 14 will be – not so much I would say. Its effectively the iPhone 13 with a newer packaging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Absolutely right. 14 Promax or the Promax models are the flagship and real beasts of the line up. Every other iPhone will feel inferior in comparison.
Thanks everyone for all your feedback, much appreciated.

Just a question on the price. Is INR66k (SG$1084 / US$812) a good deal from Singapore Duty Free? I could also buy from the US or UK or India but not sure if it will be substantially cheaper anywhere else?

Many thanks.
Old 18th April 2023, 09:31   #15581
BHPian

Hello Friends,

I have a 2020 iPhone SE which I keep exclusively for CarPlay, but the battery is down to 82%, and the phone is heating up like an oven. The original battery replacement quote is 6K, but do you guys know a good reliable place (online or offline) where I can get it changed? any suggestions would be appreciated.

Quote:
Thanks everyone for all your feedback, much appreciated.

Just a question on the price. Is INR66k (SG$1084 / US$812) a good deal from Singapore Duty Free? I could also buy from the US or UK or India but not sure if it will be substantially cheaper anywhere else?

Many thanks.
Hello S4ch, I got my wife's iPhone 14 for 68,990 from Croma, which is after the HDFC card discount. IMHO, do not buy from abroad to use in India, as when it comes to warranty issues, it depends on the service center to take a call and either deny or give you a warranty. I know a case where an iPhone Pro model from Canada was denied warranty even though Apple products have a Global warranty. As long as the phone works well and doesn't face any issues, it's all good.

Probably it's only me, whenever I have got Apple products online, it always ends up with one or another issue, so off-late I buy only from Apple-authorized resellers like Croma or Imagine, as online stores have their own risks, yes, you get to save 3-4 grands, but really not worth the risk and gives a good peace of mind. (and don't forget to ask for freebies/cases for a combined deal in stores)
ThatCarGuy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 14:50   #15582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCarGuy View Post
Probably it's only me, whenever I have got Apple products online, it always ends up with one or another issue, so off-late I buy only from Apple-authorized resellers like Croma or Imagine, as online stores have their own risks, yes, you get to save 3-4 grands, but really not worth the risk and gives a good peace of mind. (and don't forget to ask for freebies/cases for a combined deal in stores)
Very true. I've also noticed that WRT Apple products. The ones purchased at online stores have themes issues. The ones purchased at local resellers are slightly better.

Apple products purchased from 1st world countries like USA, UK or Singapore seem to be at a different level of reliability. This speaking from trouble free ownership of MacBook, iPhone, iPad bought from abroad. Locally bought stuff look the same but do give more issues.

My personal opinion.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 19:19   #15583
BHPian

Quote:

2) I am flying back from Singapore and can get the iPhone 14 128GB
Do keep in mind that 128 GB will fill up very rapidly if she takes lots of pictures and its more so for high quality videos. I have been burnt more than once on this aspect.
NG_EV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 09:03   #15584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_EV View Post
Do keep in mind that 128 GB will fill up very rapidly if she takes lots of pictures and its more so for high quality videos. I have been burnt more than once on this aspect.
My personal recommendation is to always buy the "128GB" which is now the defacto starting size and not the higher storage versions. Initially, it used to be 64 GB.

I always buy the 128GB/64 GB version. Why?

Because there is something called "iCloud" by Apple which is seamless and is available across all your devices anywhere in the world.

Subscribe to that and you will never need any of those images/video on your phone storage.

Example : I have more than 800GB of stuff on iCloud and my 128 GB phone is filled only to 60GB.

Folks living in India are lucky that you can get a 2TB for INR 750/month. In US, it's $30/month.

Calculate the ROI of paying 10K or 20K more just for a larger size phone storage.

Personally, it does not make sense to me nor to all my friends who are heavily into Apple in India who use the iCloud for storage.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 09:36   #15585
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
My personal recommendation is to always buy the "128GB" which is now the defacto starting size and not the higher storage versions.
It will depend on the individual usage pattern as well. iCloud is good but you need mobile data / WiFi to get access to the content. As a habit, I keep one year of media saved in the local phone gallery for easy reference (handy when there is no 5G connectivity, or while on data roaming). My daughter’s 128 GB 13 Pro Max gets filled up very fast, especially when we travel (thanks to the Netflix shows and YouTube videos she download and keep. And with the 14 Pro/ Pro Max its really easy to fill up 128 GB, thanks to the 48MP camera and 4K ProRes video.

I think Apple will ditch the 128 GB option at least for the 15 Pro models and go with 256 GB as the starting storage option.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks