Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2022, 14:33   #14821
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_2401 View Post
My iPhone 8 Plus got devastated by this update, my battery life went from lasting one and a quarter/half days to needing to be charged twice a day even with minimum usage, went from taking 1.5 hours for a full charge to 3+ hours, and the phone was warm even when I wasn't using it. All this overnight, so I knew the update was buggy. Even my 6S Plus with it's almost 7 year old battery lasted longer than this between charges.

I did the only thing I could, updated to the iOS 16 beta and luckily that seems to have brought back some semblance of normalcy.
After any update always give it 2-3 days to normalise as a lot of background activity is going on with stuff downloading in the background (app updates for eg.), during this period the phone may appear warm as it’s working even with the screen off.

In my case, the 6S, 13 pro max and 12 mini all seem to work as smooth as before.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 20:42   #14822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_2401 View Post
My iPhone 8 Plus got devastated by this update
iOS 15.6.1 is put with a battery fix & some critical security updates. This will supposedly be the last iteration of the 15.

I generally refer to the reviews by Gordon Kelly on the forbes before taking the plunge. Somehow these have always proved reliable for me. He updates the performance after a week or so of usage too; so that kinda gives a fair bit of idea on the stability.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...ad-update/amp/
ashvek3141 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 06:09   #14823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
After any update always give it 2-3 days to normalise as a lot of background activity is going on with stuff downloading in the background (app updates for eg.), during this period the phone may appear warm as it’s working even with the screen off.
Yeah, I had it for a fortnight before I had the idea to upgrade to the iOS 16 beta. Didn't get any better in this period, and I realized this wasn't normal when I was reading on my iPad in the terrace under the sun(so full brightness), with music streaming via Bluetooth earphones, and my phone which was sitting in my pocket was losing charge more rapidly than the iPad in those 2-3 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
In my case, the 6S, 13 pro max and 12 mini all seem to work as smooth as before.
Good to hear, my friend mentioned that it was fine on his 13 Pro Max and iPhone X. iPad OS 15.6 worked well on my iPad 9th gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
iOS 15.6.1 is put with a battery fix & some critical security updates. This will supposedly be the last iteration of the 15.

I generally refer to the reviews by Gordon Kelly on the forbes before taking the plunge. Somehow these have always proved reliable for me. He updates the performance after a week or so of usage too; so that kinda gives a fair bit of idea on the stability.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...ad-update/amp/
Thanks for letting me know, I might roll back to 15.6.1 if I face any issues on this beta. I usually wait 3-4 weeks and check for battery/other related issues before updating, but I chose to do it quickly this time because they mentioned iOS 15.6 had a whole bunch of security fixes.
rkv_2401 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 12:49   #14824
BHPian

Guys I am gearing up for the iPhone 14 Pro or Pro Max. A few q's for you experts:

1) I currently use a Samsung S10+ and Samsung S20 FE. I like this size and don't really want to go smaller (or too much bigger), so which iPhone Pro should I go for?

2) I understand the release date is Sept 7th. I have a friend travelling down to India from USA on Sept 8th. Because prices are normally way cheaper in USA, do you think it would be possible for me to order it in time for them to bring it (or book it in an Apple store for pickup) or does actual deliveries take a bit longer?

3) The second option is I have family coming down from UK in October, could ask them to bring it, but understand that prices would not be as competitive as UK. If I buy Apple Care in the UK, would that be valid here?

4) I assume a USA/UK iPhone would work in India straight out of the box as normal?

5) My current setup is 2 Jio Sims in one phone (one main number and a second disposable-ish number). I understand with the iPhone I can use 1 physical sim and the second will need to be a virtual sim - does anyone have any experience with doing this on Jio? I plan to keep my main number as the physical sim and disposable one as a virtual sim. How easy/difficult is it to change the virtual sim to another provider when travelling abroad and then to change it back to Jio when I get back to India? Or should I keep the virtual sim as my main number and then swap out the physical sim as and when required?

6) I think I know the answer to this, but is there any way at all to have dual WhatsApp accounts on one iPhone (one for each number), like I can on Samsung with the Dual Messenger feature? Not a deal breaker but would be nice to have.

7) I need to install apps from both India and UK app stores, such as for banking etc. On my Samsung, I just change the account in the Play Store (one setup for India, other for UK), and then can find the app I need from that location's play store. Is there something similar I can do on the iPhone as well or does it require me to change my Apple ID location everytime?

8) I am a 100% Mac user, so can I take calls and respond to text messages on my Mac when I switch to iPhone?

Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 20th August 2022, 13:09   #14825

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Guys I am gearing up for the iPhone 14 Pro or Pro Max. A few q's for you experts:

1) I currently use a Samsung S10+ and Samsung S20 FE. I like this size and don't really want to go smaller (or too much bigger), so which iPhone Pro should I go for?

2) I understand the release date is Sept 7th. I have a friend travelling down to India from USA on Sept 8th. Because prices are normally way cheaper in USA, do you think it would be possible for me to order it in time for them to bring it (or book it in an Apple store for pickup) or does actual deliveries take a bit longer?

3) The second option is I have family coming down from UK in October, could ask them to bring it, but understand that prices would not be as competitive as UK. If I buy Apple Care in the UK, would that be valid here?

4) I assume a USA/UK iPhone would work in India straight out of the box as normal?

5) My current setup is 2 Jio Sims in one phone (one main number and a second disposable-ish number). I understand with the iPhone I can use 1 physical sim and the second will need to be a virtual sim - does anyone have any experience with doing this on Jio? I plan to keep my main number as the physical sim and disposable one as a virtual sim. How easy/difficult is it to change the virtual sim to another provider when travelling abroad and then to change it back to Jio when I get back to India? Or should I keep the virtual sim as my main number and then swap out the physical sim as and when required?

6) I think I know the answer to this, but is there any way at all to have dual WhatsApp accounts on one iPhone (one for each number), like I can on Samsung with the Dual Messenger feature? Not a deal breaker but would be nice to have.

7) I need to install apps from both India and UK app stores, such as for banking etc. On my Samsung, I just change the account in the Play Store (one setup for India, other for UK), and then can find the app I need from that location's play store. Is there something similar I can do on the iPhone as well or does it require me to change my Apple ID location everytime?

8) I am a 100% Mac user, so can I take calls and respond to text messages on my Mac when I switch to iPhone?

Thanks everyone for the help.
Will try and answer your queries as a Mac and iPhone user since past 3 years

1. iPhone pro 14 is suffice for need and max does become a bit large especially for pockets as far as screen size goes you get used to it in a couple of days

2. US prices are cheaper but I doubt you will be able to get the phone that fast usually it would take atleast 15 days before you can actually get hold of the piece in colour of your choice as in initial days the demands are way high

3. UK and Indian prices hardly differ besides in India you get offers and cash backs on certain cards bringing them at par with UK prices so better to buy it here than in UK

4. The phones of UK / USA work normally

5. You can keep virtual sim as your permanent one as you would have to visit jio if you want to convert it back to physical SIM card especially inconvenient if you want to change it frequently again it is not easy to use virtual international sims as all operators world over do not support the same

6. For WhatsApp you can have a normal and business account without having to download any additional software and they both work independently

7. That would depend on app to app and the support for international as even while using the app I use UK banking apps without any problems even other apps work fine barring a few country specific apps which might cause compatibility issues

8. Yes you can attend calls FaceTime all from your mac also you can airdrop files and other stuff to and fro u can start a conversation from phone and continue of Mac and vice Versa
savirbajaj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 13:13   #14826
BHPian

Guys!

My iPhone X just got a green screen of death. Probably liquid damage.
Could you folks please help me with the dilemma for a new display. I have been getting quotes for the display ranging as follows
1. 5k - 1st copy at a local shop - 10-15 days guarantee
2. 26k - Original at ASC . This is something that I am not willing to spend
3. 7.5k where the guy offered me to just change the "glass" and use my existing panel, thus retaining my touch and display quality ( that's what he said ). 3 months warranty
4. 11.5k -> 100% "original" display change, three months warranty

3 and 4 -> both of these at an independent service centre.

Which one of these to chose? If you think I should have got better deals, please help me with a store around Mumbai.
Please help. Thank you.
Old 20th August 2022, 16:10   #14827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jash2709 View Post
Which one of these to chose? If you think I should have got better deals, please help me with a store around Mumbai
Jash, I got my wife’s 8 Plus battery replaced from AVR Solutions at Bandra West on Hill Road sometime in May 2022. Don’t remember the charge but it was lower than the authorised service centre. They deal only with Apple merchandise and use genuine parts. Very satisfied with the work done by them.

It’s not an authorised service centre but recommended by the Apple Store (don’t remember the name) which is right next to Bandra Medical. AVR Solutions is in the same compound as Bandra Medical too but on the back side.

Get in touch with the owner Vikas Pandey on +91 97020 50576 or the store number +91 22-35908837 and take it from there.

Do update us on how it goes.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 20th August 2022 at 16:11.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 18:41   #14828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jash2709 View Post
Guys!

3. 7.5k where the guy offered me to just change the "glass" and use my existing panel, thus retaining my touch and display quality ( that's what he said ). 3 months warranty
4. 11.5k -> 100% "original" display change, three months warranty

Please help. Thank you.
I would go with Option 4.
Why? They replace your panel with the one from another stolen/imported(locked phone)

They are just reusing the components from another phone, which is unusable. This is basically salvaging of parts, except the board.

You will not face any issues with this option, if it is done as i said above. Check with him on how he is procuring the panels and other parts. If it is inline with what i said, you can safely go ahead. If not, proceed as you like. This works for all Iphones < 12. It wont work for iphone 13 or later.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 11:04   #14829
BHPian

Quote:

No question pro max, the bigger display and battery life alone are reason enough, and due to the larger display it makes the notch look smaller since that’s the same size be it a mini or pro max iPhone. I went from a 6S to a 12 pro max, takes only a few mins to get used to the size it’s no big deal (unless you have very small hands).
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 21:17   #14830
BHPian

I dropped my iPhone XS which has created a banding on the right side of the display but the touch screen is still fully functional underneath the banding. And the phone was due for a battery replacement as well. It will be 4 years in another 3 months for the phone.

Now the question is - if I should go ahead with a display (or hopefully only a cable as display is functional) and battery replacement or put this as loss and buy a new iPhone 13 if they end up getting discounted after 14 launch?
Old 22nd August 2022, 15:41   #14831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I dropped my iPhone XS which has created a banding on the right side of the display but the touch screen is still fully functional underneath the banding. And the phone was due for a battery replacement as well. It will be 4 years in another 3 months for the phone.

Now the question is - if I should go ahead with a display (or hopefully only a cable as display is functional) and battery replacement or put this as loss and buy a new iPhone 13 if they end up getting discounted after 14 launch?
Better to go with iPhone 13/12 which will be discounted pretty well after 14. There is pretty good tech change between XS and 12/13 selling the old one on olx/cashify will be good.
Old 23rd August 2022, 02:17   #14832
BHPian

Hi everyone, I have reset my iPhone 6 and now I am unable to download Google Maps from App Store. It says one needs to have iOS version above 13 to be able to download Google Maps. Any solutions?
Old 23rd August 2022, 02:25   #14833
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

2) I understand the release date is Sept 7th. I have a friend travelling down to India from USA on Sept 8th. Because prices are normally way cheaper in USA, do you think it would be possible for me to order it in time for them to bring it (or book it in an Apple store for pickup) or does actual deliveries take a bit longer
iPhone 14 or 14 Promax is releasing on Sep 7th. However, like every year they go on Sale after a week or two. This time, its going on sale on Sep 16th onwards.

If you place an order on Sep 16th, it will normally take a month for them to deliver (Speaking from historical experience as I order a new iPhone every year).

In short, the earliest to expect delivery in US is Mid-October.

P.S : On a lighter note, You can ask your friend to postpone his trip by a month and pay for his airfare difference.
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 10:21   #14834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
. Any solutions?
Since you reset the device, iphone does not know if you already had google maps on this device. So it tries to install the latest version of google maps. However the latest gmaps is only compatible with ios 13.5 or later. And iPhone 6 cannot go anymore than 12.5.1. So you need an older compatible version of google maps for your device.

Method 1 in this link should help you install a compatible older version of google maps on you iPhone 6. Btw, I am using a 1st gen iPhone SE and posts like yours remind me that it is not too long my device will hit the end of life .

Last edited by carthick1000 : 23rd August 2022 at 10:26.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 15:16   #14835
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Hi everyone, I have reset my iPhone 6 and now I am unable to download Google Maps from App Store. It says one needs to have iOS version above 13 to be able to download Google Maps. Any solutions?
Keep a complete back up of phone on your laptop before formatting. Upon restore, all softwares will be installed automatically.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks