Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2014, 11:07   #7321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
it is disabled now. however, how much of background refresh will happen to cause this much of data usage? it's not like i've installed SETI's app on the phone

I agree. Well, you can check for sometime and if this doesn't work, we'll try to figure what else we can disable.
Old 21st October 2014, 11:14   #7322
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
I agree. Well, you can check for sometime and if this doesn't work, we'll try to figure what else we can disable.
i installed an app called My Data Manager and have been keeping track of the data usage daily. after the 8.0.2 update, the data consumption is less. nevertheless, the phone is under quarantine

btw, the new iTunes looks awesome
Old 21st October 2014, 12:17   #7323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
Got a 6 plus 64 gig model. Anyone facing issues with 3G usage? Somehow 1.5 gb of my data got used up in a day when I barely downloaded stuff for 300-400 mb. Automatic update of apps was off. Any ideas?
Quote:
See, I told you I wasn't the only one!

Most of the time I use WiFi, either at home or office, but my 3G usage was showing more than 850MB (of my 1GB limit) within a couple of days of upgrading my 5S to 8!

Like you said, auto update was disabled, so what consumed the data?
After updating I have been monitoring 3G usage and did not find any additional data usage. This is by controlling individual apps in the cellular data settings. I keep only the apps I want turned on. Only additional usage observed was that of battery when 3G is turned on which is unbelievably fast battery drainage. With 3G off, it works fine, same as pre-update. However I will be updating to 8.1 soon. Have to update and see if any improvement on the battery consumption.
Old 21st October 2014, 12:19   #7324
BHPian

Updated to 8.1. Battery seems to last a wee bit longer than it did on 8.0.2.

Its at 89% now and was at 80% at the same time yesterday with the exact same usage.

Rohan
Old 21st October 2014, 12:29   #7325
BHPian

Quote:
i installed an app called My Data Manager and have been keeping track of the data usage daily. after the 8.0.2 update, the data consumption is less. nevertheless, the phone is under quarantine

btw, the new iTunes looks awesome
Ditto!! Downloaded My Data Manager to keep track of this. My data consumption has reached 2.6 Gb and my limit was 2 Gb

I think my shared photostream was the culprit for me as it probably synced over 3G. I am keeping close tabs on 3G usage though and have disabled whatever I think could've caused this catastrophe.

And my background app refresh is always off.
Old 21st October 2014, 12:56   #7326
Senior - BHPian

updated to 8.1 more than an hour back. WiFi and 3G is on, made a couple of short calls, sent couple of Viber, WA and SMS messages and battery is still at 100%.
Old 21st October 2014, 14:50   #7327
BHPian

Just updated to 8.1 from ios 7 (having wifi in office helps) and the initial impressions are good. Battery drain seems normal with the amount of data downloaded and the phone being on display mode the entire time.

P.S. - Love the suggestions on the keyboard (Not exactly new, but still missed it when I moved from android to ios).
Old 21st October 2014, 19:08   #7328
BHPian

I guess my 3G data usage was attributed to photostream sync. I monitored the usage whole day today and it was just over 20 Mb with moderate data usage. Upgrading to 8.1 could also have helped.

The battery is holding up impeccably. On moderate usage, I still have 64% left after 12 hours of use. Way to go apple.
Old 21st October 2014, 19:47   #7329
BHPian

Folks, What would be the ideal things to do before I sell my iPhone to a stranger. Will erasing all the datas and logging off Apple iTunes and iCloud account alone will help?

Cheers!

PS: Even in iPhone 6 can notice a significant improvement in battery consumption on iOS 8.1
Old 22nd October 2014, 00:31   #7330
BHPian

The iPhone Thread

I will need (yeah need... For wife, am sure most understand) to buy an iPhone 6 next month. I am hoping I can get some good deal through cash back or anything. Not wanting to buy from US or anything and would prefer an Indian warranty piece anytime. And yeah Gold color it has to be. She keeps asking for it but expects me to not buy for her and I am planning for a surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by raksrules : 22nd October 2014 at 00:32.
Old 22nd October 2014, 06:59   #7331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
Guess you could wait for a couple of days for 8.1 update and then check. I suspect it comes with 8.0.2?

The idiots at Imagine said this was because the backup data was corrupted !! They took more than 24 hours , but couldn't resolve this.
Finally , when I said I would share my experience on social media , the status changes to " phone is ready " within 5 mins of my last call with the customer care.

The problem still exists when I go there to pick up my phone. That's when I decided to do some troubleshooting and realised that this was a carrier issue as even sms' weren't going through.

I called up Airtel and for this resolved myself.
Old 22nd October 2014, 07:13   #7332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Folks, What would be the ideal things to do before I sell my iPhone to a stranger. Will erasing all the datas and logging off Apple iTunes and iCloud account alone will help?
First and foremost, turn off 'Find my iPhone' if you have enabled the same on your iCloud account. Then, go to :
Settings-> General -> Reset -> Erase All content and Settings

This will wipe your phone. Should be good to go then!
Old 22nd October 2014, 08:07   #7333
BHPian

After updating to 8.1, I still do not see the toggle button for EDGE and 3G. After researching a bit online, it seems that this could be a carrier related issue, Airtel in my case. Apparently, the new SIM cards that they issue are 4G compatible and hence this feature isn't activated while these cards are inserted in the phone. Anyone faced the same problem? Any alternate solutions?
Old 22nd October 2014, 09:13   #7334
BHPian

I am facing strange issue when connecting my iPhone 5 to OEM music system of Honda City (Gen 3). Music system detects it as iPod but doesnt plays music. But after rebooting my phone it works fine. Now if I disconnect the phone and connect it back, same situation arrives. Music system doesnt plays the songs. I am facing this issue after I upgraded my phone to iOS8 (8 to latest 8.1). I done have any other dock, so cant rule out whether the issue is with phone or music system.
Just sharing thoughts to know if anyone else is facing similar issues.
Old 22nd October 2014, 19:33   #7335
BHPian

Before updating to iOS 8.1 I remember reading that this new update "Adds an option to select between 2G, 3G or LTE networks for cellular data. Unfortunately I'm not seeing this after moving to 8.1

The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1413986596.692779.jpg

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks