Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2014, 22:31   #7231
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I read that iOS 8.1 is released for beta testing.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/apple-seeds...-links-1467774

This iOS 8.0.2 is still screwed up. Problems with wi-fi, signal dropping when on roaming, data connection dropping, ufff, am repenting updating to iOS8.
i hope they release it fast coz 8.0.2 is driving me nuts. anything to do with communications is messed up and communications is what i depend on mostly.

another thing i noticed is that my 5S is eating up my 3G data and i've no clue how. when at home and office, i connect to WiFi and mostly use 3G for Waze, Team-BHP app and mails. day before yesterday i got message from Airtel that i've consumed more than 850MB of the 1GB data plan i have and it's been just two weeks since the billing roll over (my 1GB usually lasts the whole month and then some).

right now my 5S is nothing more than a glorified camera and a gaming console
Old 7th October 2014, 22:58   #7232
Senior - BHPian

A colleague of mine bought the iPhone 6 from Australia with a 3 year Apple Care Warranty(which covers accidental damage as well). He claims it is an international warranty that he has purchased from the Apple store. I have never heard of this scheme. All in all it cost him INR 53000 which is a very good deal I feel considering the 3 year warranty.
Old 7th October 2014, 23:45   #7233
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
iPhone 6 Pre-orders have started. The Phones might be delivered on 16th October evening itself for the persons who've pre-ordered. If anyone is going for iPhone 5S 32gb or 64gb, it makes sense to buy the iPhone 6 itself. The price difference is not much, even with the Flash sales.

Strange but true - iPhone 6 64gb is cheaper than iPhone 5S 64gb. And iPhone 6 Plus 64gb and iPhone 5S 64gb are priced same. But still no discounts on 64gb Models of iPhone 5S.

If anyone has pre-ordered iPhone 6, please update.

Preordered a 64 GB space grey iphone 6 through infibeam. They have already charged my card for the full amount. Also , they are promising a delivery on 17th October

Infibeam is also offering an Apple Care deal for 3600 INR. I didn't go into the details , will buy this from the local Apple Store

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP

Last edited by speedsatya : 7th October 2014 at 23:47.
Old 8th October 2014, 09:56   #7234
BHPian

Hey fellas!

With the iPhone 6/6+ being available for purchase in a week from now, I was wondering about the resale of the iPhone 5S.

With all the online retailers giving massive discounts on existing iPhone 5S stock, for how much can one expect to sell their phone for in the current climate? I've got an iPhone 5S, gold, 32 GB, in mint condition that I purchased last year the day iPhone 5S was launched in India(Nov 1, IIRC). Would 30k be a decent number?

Please do share your thoughts. Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Last edited by sourav9385 : 8th October 2014 at 09:58.
Old 8th October 2014, 10:55   #7235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Hey fellas!

With the iPhone 6/6+ being available for purchase in a week from now, I was wondering about the resale of the iPhone 5S.

With all the online retailers giving massive discounts on existing iPhone 5S stock, for how much can one expect to sell their phone for in the current climate? I've got an iPhone 5S, gold, 32 GB, in mint condition that I purchased last year the day iPhone 5S was launched in India(Nov 1, IIRC). Would 30k be a decent number?

Please do share your thoughts. Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Flipkart was selling 5s 16GB for around 34K. So, keeping in mind that your phone is close to a year old and 32GB, I'd say a more realistic expectation would be around 25k. Many people don't see the advantage of bigger memory and go purely by lowest prices in the market. 16GB is such a pain if you are into mobile gaming..
Old 8th October 2014, 10:58   #7236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i hope they release it fast coz 8.0.2 is driving me nuts. anything to do with communications is messed up and communications is what i depend on mostly.

another thing i noticed is that my 5S is eating up my 3G data and i've no clue how. when at home and office, i connect to WiFi and mostly use 3G for Waze, Team-BHP app and mails.
Even I'm facing almost all the issues mentioned above. Battery is draining like as if I'm on a voice call continuously, I have to plug the charger twice in a day.
In addition to this on roaming every time I switch on the Cellular Data my network automatically gets lost and shows no service
The screen turns black momentarily even when I select Settings, though all my applications are updated to latest version the screen would become black for a moment before the application is launched. Now I regret for moving to iOS 8 and miss iOS7 which worked like a charm.

Is any one having first hand information of iOS8 on iPhone 6, looks like now i don't have other option but to switch to iPhone 6.
Old 8th October 2014, 11:06   #7237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

another thing i noticed is that my 5S is eating up my 3G data and i've no clue how. when at home and office, i connect to WiFi and mostly use 3G for Waze, .....
I faced the same problem of 3G data getting consumed even when most of apps don't run on mobile data. Even my phone had consumed ~850MB of data in 3-4 days. This happened twice (starting in September 10th onwards ). Though I couldn't find anything concrete, I saw some the new apps that I had installed had mobile data active and I deactivated them. These apps/games shouldn't consume so much data. Please check for the same.
Also please check if your automatic update is on for all apps from iTunes, using mobile data.

I was also facing another problem of a blank lock screen (posted earlier). I did a iOS restore from the PC yesterday and it has not only increased the Wi-Fi browsing speeds but has also cleared about 5 GB of space on the phone. The blank lock screen problem is yet to occur after the restore. You can try out the same.
Old 8th October 2014, 12:32   #7238
Senior - BHPian

Just backed up and restored the phone. First impressions, don't see any difference; will use it for some time and report. Btw, the restore freed up around 2GB+ space.

edit: everything got restored except Touch ID. doesn't this get backed up?

Last edited by IronH4WK : 8th October 2014 at 12:37.
Old 8th October 2014, 13:18   #7239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
... keeping in mind that your phone is close to a year old and 32GB, I'd say a more realistic expectation would be around 25k... 16GB is such a pain if you are into mobile gaming..
Funny how that works, isn't it?

And some people used to say iPhones don't depreciate! Kinda feel foolish now having forked out 62.5k a year ago. If someone gets this off me, even for about 25k, then that's about 60% in depreciation in less than a year. And I genuinely don't get the point of phones with 16GB on board memory. Even before installing a single app, one barely gets 10-11 GB data. Couple of games, few songs, a movie or two, and that's it! 32 GB makes so much more sense, but in it's infinite wisdom Apple has decided to discontinue that. Real smooth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK;3551599...[I
edit: everything got restored except Touch ID. doesn't this get backed up?[/i]
The Touch ID data is stored locally on the processor. It is not backed up on iCloud. Or at least, that's what we are made to believe . So, after you restore your phone, you will need to reconfigure Touch ID, even if you restored your data through iCloud.

Last edited by sourav9385 : 8th October 2014 at 13:21.
Old 8th October 2014, 13:58   #7240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And some people used to say iPhones don't depreciate! Kinda feel foolish now having forked out 62.5k a year ago. If someone gets this off me, even for about 25k, then that's about 60% in depreciation in less than a year. And I genuinely don't get the point of phones with 16GB on board memory. Even before installing a single app, one barely gets 10-11 GB data. Couple of games, few songs, a movie or two, and that's it! 32 GB makes so much more sense, but in it's infinite wisdom Apple has decided to discontinue that. Real smooth...
I am in the same boat as yours, don’t know whether to upgrade or not.
Your phone is a gadget used for a year, and i have seen brand new 5s 16gb going for 29999 on paytm last week, with the planned price cut don’t expect anything more than 20k.

I don’t understand the depreciation bit, an iPhone "was" bought with the heart not the head. You bought it the day it released, that shows you are an innovator, and innovators don’t complain about value for money

Pramod
Old 8th October 2014, 14:13   #7241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just backed up and restored the phone. First impressions, don't see any difference; will use it for some time and report. Btw, the restore freed up around 2GB+ space.
update: after the restore there seems to be a HUGE difference in speed! it is much faster issue seems to have fixed itself, or rather by restoring the phone

thanks Ashis for the tip

Quote:
The Touch ID data is stored locally on the processor. It is not backed up on iCloud. Or at least, that's what we are made to believe . So, after you restore your phone, you will need to reconfigure Touch ID, even if you restored your data through iCloud.
thanks Sourav. just reconfigured Touch ID and everything is back it was.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 8th October 2014 at 14:14.
Old 8th October 2014, 14:35   #7242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
In addition to this on roaming every time I switch on the Cellular Data my network automatically gets lost and shows no service
I faced the same annoying issue. This happens while in roaming, I had to reset N/W settings 'n' number of times, manually select network to the keep the phone online for a while.

Never expected this kind of a buggy update from Apple.
Old 8th October 2014, 14:43   #7243
BHPian

Quote:

32 GB makes so much more sense, but in it's infinite wisdom Apple has decided to discontinue that. Real smooth...
Apple has actually replaced the 32Gb with a 64Gb in the same price segment if I am not mistaken.
Old 8th October 2014, 15:05   #7244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
...I don’t understand the depreciation bit, an iPhone "was" bought with the heart not the head. You bought it the day it released, that shows you are an innovator, and innovators don’t complain about value for money
Oh, absolutely! I adore my iPhone! Would not have anything else in the world! And if anything, it was a purchase made to please the heart, not the head .
In fact, I'd go on record to say that it is my belief that no one buys a phone worth 62k to please the head

Wouldn't even dream of thinking that I bought it with an inclination towards resale prices a year on. My point was simply to illustrate the fact that as of now, iPhones no longer enjoy the premium-ness they were once privy to. And that is really sad. I guess I understand why all the brick & mortar retail stores are going ape over the online retailers selling stuff at such ludicrous prices.

[Joke] Nevermind, now just have to figure out how & which bank to rob before stepping out on 17th October lol. [/Joke]
Old 8th October 2014, 15:38   #7245
BHPian

Guys how much time will it take for the iphone 6 to be available off the shelf after launch in india. I remember my brother got his iphone 5 almost after 3 months post launch, before that apple were only taking bookings. Will it be the same for i6?

Last edited by TB16 : 8th October 2014 at 15:42.

Most Viewed