Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2014, 08:40   #7096
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Even my friend's 5 had the same faulty lock button problem. He had it replaced at imagine store, Forum! Interesting.. 2 cases of faulty lock button, I'm sure many out there might have got the same issue too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
There is no international warranty on any iPhones till date. Last time i checked here in Hyderabad, they said warranty no valid. One of my friends got a gold iphone from the US and his lock switch had an issue and no store over here replaced it under warranty.
There was a recall issued by Apple about 8 months back related to this issue. My iphone5 also had same problem. Mine was brought in US.
Luckily in May I traveled to US for 2 weeks and got it replaced under recall warranty. They also gave me similar loaner phone for use till the repair was complete.
Old 16th September 2014, 10:50   #7097
BHPian

OMG! Got this mail in the morning - iPhone 5S 32 GB for 30k

http://www.myshopee.in/apple-iphone-5s.html

It states 6 month warranty that means Apple India warranty not valid.
Can anybody comment on this site reliability?
Old 16th September 2014, 11:06   #7098
BHPian

Guys, I am contemplating picking up a 4S 8GB. Have some questions for the experts.

1) How does the phone perform with the latest iOS update (which one does it get btw?)

2) I will use the front cam for video calling, like Skype, Hangout. Is the video quality decent enough?

3) Is the usable memory enough for few apps like news, weather, social media etc?
Old 16th September 2014, 11:11   #7099
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Can't you complain to apple about this? Not honoring warranty is fine. But they can't deny serving the phone even though customer is willing to pay. This is like they are trying to punish you for losing your business. I doubt if apple made this as official policy.
This is indeed Apple's official policy, and its not limited to India alone. Even in Australia, you cannot walk into an Apple store and get your iphone purchased in for example : the US, exchanged right away. There are some exceptions at times, but this has to be routed through Senior Tech Support from Apple Care.

Source of info? I did work for Apple care for a certain period in time.
Old 16th September 2014, 11:44   #7100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
OMG! Got this mail in the morning - iPhone 5S 32 GB for 30k

http://www.myshopee.in/apple-iphone-5s.html

It states 6 month warranty that means Apple India warranty not valid.
Can anybody comment on this site reliability?
Buy COD if they have the facility. Check the phone before paying.
Old 16th September 2014, 12:05   #7101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
Guys, I am contemplating picking up a 4S 8GB. Have some questions for the experts.

1) How does the phone perform with the latest iOS update (which one does it get btw?)

2) I will use the front cam for video calling, like Skype, Hangout. Is the video quality decent enough?

3) Is the usable memory enough for few apps like news, weather, social media etc?
I have the iPhone 4 32GB for almost 4 yrs now & serves me perfectly well even now. 4s will work even better. But in your case since you have 8 GB you may not be able to save much data on phone, keep storage /offline options low, that is all.
Old 16th September 2014, 15:14   #7102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Got one recently and used it for a month before wife wanted to have it.

1. The phone performs well with the bundled iOS 7.1.2. No lags or hangs or slowness seen.

2. Front cam clarity is just about ok. Have never tried it for Videos but selfies come out alright.

3. Usable memory is 5 GB out of the 8 GB. You also get another 5 GB on iCloud free. So you would get a total of 10 GB worth of storage.
Old 16th September 2014, 15:54   #7103
BHPian

Quote:
I'm using iPhone4S for more than 2 years. It still feels new

1) 4S is a great performer in current iOS version. But can't say how it much it will reduce in iOS8. Having said that, it doesn't mean it will crash.

2) I've used iPhone4S front cam for Skype, it's good enough. provided you are in a decently lit room(light on your face).

3) I would recommend 16GB 4S. But if you're just into News Weather Social Media (whatsapp/FB), 8GB is enough as already pointed out by others.
But if you are planning to store music and photos, 8GB might be too less.

Why don't you wait for iPhone6/6S official India launch and then check what good price for 4S and 5/5S/5C?
Old 16th September 2014, 17:10   #7104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
I have the iPhone 4 32GB for almost 4 yrs now & serves me perfectly well even now. 4s will work even better. But in your case since you have 8 GB you may not be able to save much data on phone, keep storage /offline options low, that is all.
I dont intend to store much. Primary usage will be office mail, whatsapp, news, weather and maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Got one recently and used it for a month before wife wanted to have it.

1. The phone performs well with the bundled iOS 7.1.2. No lags or hangs or slowness seen.

2. Front cam clarity is just about ok. Have never tried it for Videos but selfies come out alright.

3. Usable memory is 5 GB out of the 8 GB. You also get another 5 GB on iCloud free. So you would get a total of 10 GB worth of storage.
Thank you for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek View Post
I'm using iPhone4S for more than 2 years. It still feels new

1) 4S is a great performer in current iOS version. But can't say how it much it will reduce in iOS8. Having said that, it doesn't mean it will crash.

2) I've used iPhone4S front cam for Skype, it's good enough. provided you are in a decently lit room(light on your face).

3) I would recommend 16GB 4S. But if you're just into News Weather Social Media (whatsapp/FB), 8GB is enough as already pointed out by others.
But if you are planning to store music and photos, 8GB might be too less.

Why don't you wait for iPhone6/6S official India launch and then check what good price for 4S and 5/5S/5C?
Cannot find the 16GB version anywhere. Every dealer/online vendors seems to have the 8GB version. I am a little apprehensive for this storage limitation and the 512MB RAM.

An 8GB 4S is priced between 17.5k-22k online. Not sure if it will go down further.

Btw, would Apple India honor warranty and provide service backup for an iPhone bought online via snapdeal, flipkart etc?
Old 16th September 2014, 17:44   #7105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cannot find the 16GB version anywhere.... Btw, would Apple India honor warranty and provide service backup for an iPhone bought online via snapdeal, flipkart etc?
16GB 4S is not supplied any more in India by Apple as per Croma. So if you need the 4S you only have the option of 8GB.
When buying online check if the manufacturer warranty is available along with the phone. As long as that is mentioned, Apple India should honor the warranty.
Old 16th September 2014, 22:56   #7106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
That is incorrect. Apple started honoring international warranty on iPhones with release of iPhone 5s.
Apple doesnt honour international warranty on 'iPhones'. Confirmed from more than one Imagine stores.
Old 16th September 2014, 23:11   #7107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I rather was told by a friend who deals in telecom that Apple honours international warranty for all devices without a Sim facility. So an Ipad without 3g connectivity and only WIFI connectivity is covered but the one with SIM facility is not. Extending the same logic, no Iphone is covered by international warranty.
Yes, you're right. The same thing was confirmed to me by an Reliance (Apple) Service Engineer, about 4 years back. In US, all devices with Cellular facility are sold on Contract and at subsidized price. So, the manufacturers tie up with the Cellular Operators. In turn, Legal issues arises between the Customer, Service Provider and Manufacturer.

This could be the reason for not honoring devices with Cellular capability. I request somebody from the Forum to answer If Imagine has rejected warranty on International Purchase of iPad with WiFi Only capability.
Old 17th September 2014, 07:50   #7108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
did u reconfirm this with Apple customer care as well? I am saying because last year i had warranty issues with my iPad (though i bought the iPad from India). Imagine service center at Forum mall tried to take me for a ride! Its only after i escalated this to apple care and logged a case Imagine honored me warranty and gave me a full replacement!

My overall experience with Apple customer care had been always good. Even for cases for which i am not eligible for warranty, these guys gave me waiver as a special case and imagine service center in Bangalore had to abide to it! (I cant disclose the case details here though )

Apple customer care fixed my iphone5 over a couple of hours phone so didn't have to pursue further. I did ask them about warranty and the response was: if we are unable to resolve over phone then, we can discuss next steps. Support was very courteous, knowledgeable and empathetic - they spent two hours on a sat night and an hour more on Sunday with me
Old 17th September 2014, 23:38   #7109
BHPian

iOS 8 is here. It takes about 1 hour for the Update. The Download is about 920 MB and it depends on your Internet Connection. Empty unnecessary data on your Mobile, 'cause you need at least 4.6 GB of Empty Space before you can download.
Old 18th September 2014, 09:03   #7110
BANNED

Even though OS8 ships today, it may be wise not to upgrade at present

http://www.zdnet.com/six-reasons-why...tag=TRE17cfd61

Most Viewed