Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2014, 10:34   #7441
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

My sister got me an iPhone 5s from the US. Realized that the touch screen doesn't work properly (some areas of the display don't respond to touch). Tried many apple service centers in BLR, no one was willing to repair it even though I was willing to pay for it. Sent to US with a friend, who took it to the apple store and the display was changed under warranty!
Old 6th December 2014, 12:51   #7442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
Got myself a new iPhone 5 (not 5c or 5s)

Should I update to 8.1 or not. Advice pls.
Where did you get a new IP5 from?
Not that I want to buy but curious how much did you pay? and why did you even buy such an old phone?
Old 6th December 2014, 13:28   #7443
BHPian

Is anybody using the iPhone 6 plus facing wifi issues. All of a sudden the wifi SSID disappears and none of the available ones in the range shows. Flight mode and wifi turn off/on doesn't fix. Had to restart to fix it. I am not facing this in my iPhone 6 but.
Old 6th December 2014, 14:00   #7444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Is anybody using the iPhone 6 plus facing wifi issues. All of a sudden the wifi SSID disappears and none of the available ones in the range shows. Flight mode and wifi turn off/on doesn't fix. Had to restart to fix it. I am not facing this in my iPhone 6 but.
I am having this problem on my iPhone4 for the last few months, was told this is a defect & needs WiFi chip replacement, didnt bother as I was going to buy my iPhone6+. No issues with the new phone.
Old 6th December 2014, 17:12   #7445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
needs WiFi chip replacement
Well thanks. Will report it to Apple and see what they have to say.
Old 8th December 2014, 12:30   #7446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
Got myself a new iPhone 5 (not 5c or 5s)

Should I update to 8.1 or not. Advice pls.
If you are the one who likes the phone to respond swiftly for every actions then I would recommend you to stay with iOS7 / iOS6, not that iPhone 5 cannot handle iOS8 but any Joe can differentiate the obvious lag.
All that said it wont be as bad as iPhone 4S on iOS 8
Cheers!
Old 9th December 2014, 08:21   #7447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Where did you get a new IP5 from?
Not that I want to buy but curious how much did you pay? and why did you even buy such an old phone?
Got it from Apple store in U.S. (unlocked). Actually they had dropped and damaged the 2 year old iP5 whilst handling, so they gave a brand new handset of same specifications, even though we were willing to pay extra n get iPhone 5s or Iphone 6. Anyways still happy with the way the handled the whole episode
Old 9th December 2014, 22:24   #7448
Senior - BHPian

Update: Purchased the IPhone 6 64 GB finally.

Just a question. How do I sync my Facetime with my IPad? I cannot see the contacts of FT in my phone, Also, how do I see the battery level in percentage?

Last edited by Pancham : 9th December 2014 at 22:26.
Old 9th December 2014, 22:35   #7449
BHPian

Quote:
Also, how do I see the battery level in percentage?

Check in Settings- General- Usage
Old 10th December 2014, 00:23   #7450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Check in Settings- General- Usage
Thanks a lot Rajesh.
Old 12th December 2014, 18:14   #7451
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Update: Purchased the IPhone 6 64 GB finally.

Just a question. How do I sync my Facetime with my IPad? I cannot see the contacts of FT in my phone, Also, how do I see the battery level in percentage?
I think firstly your ipad needs to have iOS8, logged into the same wifi network as your iphone and signed in with the same apple id. Your calls and messages will be synced and mirrored. Atleast this is how it works between my iphone and imac.
Old 12th December 2014, 18:46   #7452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I think firstly your ipad needs to have iOS8, logged into the same wifi network as your iphone and signed in with the same apple id. Your calls and messages will be synced and mirrored. Atleast this is how it works between my iphone and imac.
My IPad is running on iOS 8.1.2. Both my devices are on the same wifi network.

Update: I have been juggling too many things at work so I havent really got the time to enjoy the phone. I would like to share my views on the battery. My first full charge lasted 48 hours with my usual/moderate usage. I did my usual watsapp, made calls, data was 'on' all the time. One catch is that data was in 2G mode and not 3G. It is too early to comment but considering its a 1800 MaH battery the back up is quite impressive.

So liking of the day: Battery

Last edited by Pancham : 12th December 2014 at 18:47.
Old 15th December 2014, 16:20   #7453
Senior - BHPian

Is there no 'back' button in iOS ? My father noticed this when he accidently hit terms and conditions while trying to set up icloud sharing. It took him to safari to show the terms and conditions but how does one go back to iCloud settings ? In android,i'd hit 'back' closing the browser and return to settings. How does one do the same here,in the absence of a dedicated back button ?

Last edited by shashank.nk : 15th December 2014 at 16:21.
Old 15th December 2014, 17:53   #7454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Is there no 'back' button in iOS ? My father noticed this when he accidently hit terms and conditions while trying to set up icloud sharing. It took him to safari to show the terms and conditions but how does one go back to iCloud settings ? In android,i'd hit 'back' closing the browser and return to settings. How does one do the same here,in the absence of a dedicated back button ?
Most of the times the back options are on the upper left hand corner of the screen. If the option to go back to settings does not appear, you could try doing a 4-finger swipe on the screen. As a last resort, you could hit the home button twice and go to the settings app from the app tray.
There are still some frustrating UI elements in iOS when compared to Android but even then I believe it is easier to use for a first timer.
Old 15th December 2014, 18:48   #7455
Senior - BHPian

After many years with various phones and Android flavors, I've finally decided I don't want any more of the laggy and slower experience that one faces with the OS and overall response experience with a flavored android phone.

I'd been experiencing a few issues with my year and 7 months old Samsung Galaxy S4. One sensor (for detecting proximity during taking calls) had conked off. Phone orientation doesn't change for upto 3 seconds. Without multiple applications open, WhatsApp takes considerable seconds while trying to bring up the keyboard for typing, Etc., etc.. Many such small issues..

I saw a Galaxy Note 4 in a showroom and first thing I did was check consumed RAM with no apps open. Out of 2.72 GB (available of 3GB), 1.76gb was 'Used ram' and the remaining was available. To me, buying such a phone is going to end in an unsatisfactory experience, as the S4 was much similar to this.

Spoke with MANY Apple iPhone users using up till iPhone 4S and everyone is happy with what they have, with respect to user experience, zippy phone and very little to no lag (users who have kept their upgrades to iOS realistic). Checked out in detail my friend and colleague's iPhone 5S. Swung the Apple way and ordered for an iPhone 6 in Silver (128GB) from Infibeam.

I don't think I'll be going back to the customized OS anytime soon.

Last edited by k_ajay : 15th December 2014 at 18:54.

Most Viewed