Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2022, 11:50   #14896
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shitij View Post
Go ahead and get it without a doubt, there is literally nothing to worry about.
Thank you , your post put some qualms to rest. I am still on Android and on the fence for the apple ecosystem. I think I might take the plunge.
Old 8th September 2022, 11:57   #14897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwajlearn View Post
Could it be because this model is manufactured here? Anybody else having similar experience? If this is the case, I may have to look for imported models or get from US where these warranty issues will be relevant.
The main components are anyway imported and there is no reason why the phone assembled here should work differently from the one sourced from the US.

If your iPhone SE is second generation, it uses A13 Bionic chip - quite advanced CPU (6 Core CPU and 4 Core GPU) which needs quite a bit of battery power to function to its designed capability. It also depends on the APP. So coupled with low capacity battery, it is likely to degrade in performance when pushed to its limits.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 12:47   #14898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
iPhone 13Pro washed in a Washing Machine.

This incident happened last week. My friend somehow got her iPhone 13 into the washing machine along with the clothes. Added detergent and the machine ran the wash for 15 minutes, emptied the drum and started to spin. That's when she heard a knocking sound from the washing machine. She was already searching for the mobile and the knocking sound brought her fear of loosing the phone. But, to her utter surprise, when she picked the phone, it unlocked through the face id and popped up a notification. Switched of the mobile and took it to the Apple Care center. Technician asked to switch on the phone, she switched it on, made a test call, ran few diagnostics and he asked her to continue using the phone. It has a mild screechy sound in the speaker and its lost in the weeks use. Now its back to it pristine condition, literally washed.

This incident, keeps up my faith on the build and quality of the iPhones. Waterproof it is!!
Water and other liquid damages are not covered under the one year limited warranty, that comes by default on iPhones (not sure about Apple Care though). So while they are IP68 rated I am still not sure as to how safe they are under water. Yours might be a one off case. If Apple was so sure of their devices, they would have included it in the warranty terms by default.
Old 8th September 2022, 12:58   #14899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shitij View Post
For example, UAE has a law against Facetime, so phones sold at the Apple store in UAE doesn't have Facetime. Amazon UAE has euro spec phones all the time, so buy from there.
FaceTime doesn’t work in the UAE only. It works perfectly well for any other country which one selects during the set-up.

I got the 12 Pro last year from official Apple Dubai Store and all the features including facetime work perfectly fine.
ashvek3141 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 13:01   #14900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The main components are anyway imported and there is no reason why the phone assembled here should work differently from the one sourced from the US.
Thanks for clarifying. Yes it is second generation.

I am surprised as my usage now is only for calls and whatsapp. Have ipad for gaming and processor heavy apps.
In previous models, i played lots of games and even after 4 years battery health didn't degrade much.

1 year and battery health is already down to 80 in my SE. I feel this may not last like my previous models.
bwajlearn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 13:21   #14901

I jumped ships from Android (Samsung S10+) to iPhone 13 Mini last year. Absolutely enjoying the smaller size and lighter weight.
I use my phone only for call / message / whatsapp / news and an occasional social media use. The battery easily lasts a full day. I am going to miss the Mini line.

Just a heads up for people who want to buy iPhone 14 models from the USA.
All iPhones sold in the US will not have a SIM tray, rather only e-SIM capabilities. Make sure your service provider can support this before you invest an arm or a leg
IYoungAre is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 13:32   #14902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
FaceTime doesn’t work in the UAE only. It works perfectly well for any other country which one selects during the set-up.

I got the 12 Pro last year from official Apple Dubai Store and all the features including facetime work perfectly fine.
Maybe things have changed recently, I clearly remember getting a 6S from dubai and setting up in India as India as chosen country and still not getting Facetime.
Old 8th September 2022, 19:54   #14903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Read your linked article again, it says at the end ‘Apple may bring int. warranty support to India’.
The terms page I’ve linked is specifically talking about the 1 year limited factory warranty, not Apple Care.

In practice I’m sure they’ll support foreign devices but there is no legal requirement for them to do so as per their terms and conditions.
That article is dated 2017. Apple has since expanded global warranty coverage to iPhones after this news came out. It was limited to the Macbooks earlier, but post iPhone 8 I think (or maybe iPhone X), they started providing international warranty support across geographies for iPhones as well. Personally verified and availed

Looking to pick up the 14 Pro Max on the launch date itself, let's see if I am able to pre-book. The purple does look sweet.

Other than that, how are you man??
akhil994 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 22:00   #14904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
That article is dated 2017. Apple has since expanded global warranty coverage to iPhones after this news came out. It was limited to the Macbooks earlier, but post iPhone 8 I think (or maybe iPhone X), they started providing international warranty support across geographies for iPhones as well. Personally verified and availed

Looking to pick up the 14 Pro Max on the launch date itself, let's see if I am able to pre-book. The purple does look sweet.

Other than that, how are you man??
Ah ok, yes the 14 pro max will make for a solid upgrade for anyone not already on a 13 pro max. I think I’ll wait for the 15 pro max personally as I can’t justify switching just for the camera improvements and pill hole (ahem dynamic island).

I’m good man, hope Canada is turning out well for you.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 22:03   #14905
BHPian

On a side note, can anyone enlighten me as why Apple wouldn't provide USB C even now? All there other devices have been having USB C for more than 5 years now. Despite every other gadget has moved to USB C, the only popular product which is supposedly the most technologically advanced product is still hanging on to much older generation port.
destinykid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 22:51   #14906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IYoungAre View Post
Just a heads up for people who want to buy iPhone 14 models from the USA.
All iPhones sold in the US will not have a SIM tray, rather only e-SIM capabilities. Make sure your service provider can support this before you invest an arm or a leg
Don't think it is for all phones sold in the US. The global models would still have the sim tray. And usually the global models are the unlocked ones.

EDIT: ok, looks like it might be the same even for global models as Apple specifies that all models will be unlocked ones other than the ones that have been purchased with AT&T plans.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 8th September 2022 at 22:57.
Old 9th September 2022, 06:44   #14907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Don't think it is for all phones sold in the US. The global models would still have the sim tray. And usually the global models are the unlocked ones.

EDIT: ok, looks like it might be the same even for global models as Apple specifies that all models will be unlocked ones other than the ones that have been purchased with AT&T plans.
But do these new phones have dual sim capability? I currently have an iphone 12 with one physical sim card slot and one E-sim slot. I use jio on both these slots. Apple has had this dual sim feature right from the iPhone XR and I switched from having two phones to one simply because of the dual sim possibility. I hope the iphone 14 comes with dual sim even if both the slots are of e-sim.
Old 9th September 2022, 06:53   #14908
Team-BHP Support

So effectively the 13 Pro/Pro Max transformed to 14/14 Max, sans the 3rd camera.
And in true Apple style, they made a probable criticism point (pill punch) to a feature – the Dynamic Island, and it indeed looks like a neat work

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
But do these new phones have dual sim capability?
Yes…

Last edited by vb-saan : 9th September 2022 at 06:54.
vb-saan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 12:01   #14909
Senior - BHPian

Do you guys use the Apple 20 watt charger only or any other one as well?

My wife's IPhone 13 which we got in April is always charged by my Samsung 25 watt charger and never had an issue. Battery health is still at 100%. So, just wanted an opinion if it affects the phone in anyway.
Old 9th September 2022, 12:32   #14910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post

All iPhones sold in the US market model 14 onwards will have no sim tray irrespective of the carrier. In other words, anyone buying 14 models from there for wherever have no option but buying one with no sim tray. This was made very clear in the presentation.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks