Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2022, 19:50   #14806
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I think "wireless charging" is a misnomer. When I first got the phone, I thought it could charge via Wifi. I was thrilled that they got such technology and a bit upset when I was asked to buy that charging station for electromagnetic induction. . They should have called it Inductive Charging or something. Wireless means Wifi.
Wifi is just one implementation of wireless technology, in this case internet. Inductive charging does not require any cables or wires to connect to your device, hence wireless.

Quote:
Will keeping the mobile phone on the base station all day kill the battery?
Keeping the battery for long periods of time at 100% will definitely degrade it and wear it out prematurely. Only lead acid cells love staying at 100% all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
AJ - I have said this before, just saying it again. Please think about it, if you do everything these so called “experts” recommended, take the pain of looking at percentages, start living for the phone battery etc etc, instead of just using your phone and charging as necessary, how much do you think the battery life would increase. I feel it would make a difference of maximum a couple of months of battery life, not a spectacular difference.
I don’t believe the ‘experts’ I just consider my own real life experience, I know a thing or two about batteries from my rc plane flying days (100cc Sbach 342), apart from the engine the lithium cells used are absolutely critical to safety and to keep a plane in the air. It’s not about living for the battery (I don’t follow my own rules sometimes) but about doing the right thing and not abusing your machine, just like how we don’t redline a cold engine or corner hard until our tyres are warmed up.

Would not call it nonsense as it’s rooted in decades of hard science and cell testing, I’ve considered battery cycle count and health long before iPhones were even invented. I too use my phone like anyone else would (more if anything), except maybe charge in a chilled room, and avoid overheating that’s it.

As far as checking cycles go, that’s just how I’m wired (no pun intended). I like to know live operating parameters be it my phone or car or plane. It’s the same reason I run a TPMS system and head up display in my smaller car as it doesn’t show live coolant temps otherwise.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th August 2022 at 22:49. Reason: Quotes trimmed, spacing.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 20:27   #14807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
As far as checking cycles go, that’s just how I’m wired (no pun intended). I like to know live operating parameters be it my phone or car or plane. It’s the same reason I run a TPMS system and head up display in my smaller car as it doesn’t show live coolant temps otherwise.
I think the context here is that to use the phone without worrying about these parameters. Almost for all the phones, some degradation due to battery starts happening in about 2 years or so time (experience from my Iphone 5, Iphone 7 and current 12 mini). I don't bother to look at the battery health statistics and just use the phone as any other utility device.

i think one of the analogy here is also of smart watch which people use to monitor their fitness. Some people use it to track their fitness, challenges, walk time etc etc. whereas may be some others like me may have just developed a routine for these physical activites and do not feel the need to monitor via a gadget. Your choice

Last edited by aah78 : 11th August 2022 at 22:49. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 10th August 2022, 23:34   #14808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of course, as with everything else, your phone, your rules. Just saying
Haha, couldn’t agree more. I abuse my battery left right and center. Charge it whenever I want and keep it plugged in all the time, etc. I have a XR which is in it 4th year. The battery is still going strong at 81%. Obviously it’s not the same as it was on day one but the delta doesn’t bother me.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th August 2022 at 22:48. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 11th August 2022, 00:53   #14809
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Bingo that's it, heat is the worst enemy.
Hmm. I didn't know I have to pay such a big price for my forgetfulness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
I’ve not noticed any drop in battery life, I get max 9 hours of screen on time as I always run on full brightness with moderate to heavy camera use and occasional gaming. According to apple the iPhone battery has been designed to retain a minimum of 80% health at 500 cycles.

If our phones are at nearly 300 cycles and have lost only 5-6% of health that’s actually much better than average. With any lithium battery, heat is the biggest enemy, just make sure your phone doesn’t overheat (easier said than done) given our weather.
Thanks for that awesome tip. Here is the screenshot after adding that Battery Cycle shortcut to my phone. It shows 322 cycles which is much more than yours so 95% drop is justifiable?

The iPhone Thread-img_5361.jpg

Quote:
Of course, as with everything else, your phone, your rules. Just saying
I don't care if the battery drops to any % as after all it's a phone and can be replaced anytime.

I do it for the thrill as I like to check some of these aspects like battery health, how many hours the phone lasts on a single full charge etc just for the kicks.

Quote:
Will keeping the mobile phone on the base station all day kill the battery?
Now this is an overkill. In a way, you are making your phone sit on a hot seat the whole day. Imagine what happens to someone's bum after a while if they sit on a hot seat.

I reckon you get the drift. Lol!

Quote:
Mobike lives in Seattle Jaggu; there is no "HOT" Sun there. You don't even need sunblock if you go to the beach.
Come on Navin, we also get some sun (thankfully) a few months of the year. This time around summers were pretty short but, we usually hit super high temps of 90 F (32C) to 95F (36C) for a few days. But, this summer we didn't cross 85F yet.

However, I used a sunblock to protect my sundar twacha (sensitive skin).

SPF 50 was used a couple of days ago (Sunday) when we went to watch the Boeing's Seafare.

The iPhone Thread-fullsizerender.jpg

Blue Angels from U.S Navy in action. Will share pics and videos in the appropriate thread taken by the 13 promax.

The iPhone Thread-img_5225.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 11th August 2022 at 00:57.
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 15:15   #14810
BHPian

Hi
Can anyone help on how auto switching between Apple devices works for Airpods Pro ?
I recently purchased one but cant figure out how to switch airpods pro connection between my iPhone Xs and iPad automatically(Both are running on iOS/iPad OS 15)

I couldnt find any useful content on this on web.

Last edited by AjinkyaP : 11th August 2022 at 15:16.
Old 11th August 2022, 16:34   #14811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjinkyaP View Post
Can anyone help on how auto switching between Apple devices works for Airpods Pro ?
https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT212204

Please go through the above article, it should help. I have the AirPods Pro which switches seamlessly between my IPhone 11, MacBook Air M1 and Apple TV 4K. Ensure you are signed in to all devices on the same Apple ID.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 02:20   #14812
BHPian

Quote:
https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT212204

Please go through the above article, it should help. I have the AirPods Pro which switches seamlessly between my IPhone 11, MacBook Air M1 and Apple TV 4K. Ensure you are signed in to all devices on the same Apple ID.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Thank You!
I tried this , verified all prerequisites , multiple times.
Watched tons of youtube videos looking for a fix.
Nothing worked.
Then i did the ultimate trick, rebooted both devices and it worked
Now I feel like an idiot.

Last edited by AjinkyaP : 12th August 2022 at 02:26.
Old 13th August 2022, 21:12   #14813
Senior - BHPian

9to5 Mac article regarding the September event. Apple could possibly have the event on the second Tuesday of the month which falls on 13th September.

https://9to5mac.com/2022/08/13/apple...hat-to-expect/

Cheers
Old 14th August 2022, 16:20   #14814
Team-BHP Support

Appears the iOS 15.6 has some bugs, see some hiccup / stutter post the update. iPad is running smoothly but iPhone (series 13) has some stutter / lag.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 18:28   #14815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Appears the iOS 15.6 has some bugs, see some hiccup / stutter post the update. iPad is running smoothly but iPhone (series 13) has some stutter / lag.
Indeed there are few reports in isolation about the 15.6 update. So far 15.5 was THE most stable update for the iOS 15 iteration.

Due to the same reason I am holding onto the 15.5 on my IP 12 Pro for now. For sure the initial versions of the iOS 16 will be buggy too.
Old 17th August 2022, 11:53   #14816
BHPian

Running iOS 16 public beta since it's release. Public beta 1 was pretty buggy but public beta 2 onwards, everything is running good for daily use.
Old 17th August 2022, 14:37   #14817
BHPian

Iam on Android 4.4.2. For some reason, 'Move to iOS' is not showing up on Play Store. I would like to move my Contacts, SMS and WA messages from the old Android phone to the new iPhone.

Has anybody used any application to do such a transfer? Any pointers would be of great help.
Old 17th August 2022, 15:11   #14818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipaul View Post
Iam on Android 4.4.2.
You need minimum android 5 for this function to work.
Old 18th August 2022, 21:40   #14819
BHPian

Well, I finally got the iPhone 13. Being an Android user since the start, this was an interesting shift for me. My last phone, a Samsung S10e lasted a good time and finally took the plunge towards the iPhone. Yes yes, i know iPhone 14 is coming out soon, but this was an urgent need and the 13 was very much stable and came within my budget.

Been using it for the past two days and it has been a fantastic experience. Love the battery life! Extremely happy with the purchase.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-20220818_213425.jpg  

aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 11:50   #14820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
My iPhone 8 Plus got devastated by this update, my battery life went from lasting one and a quarter/half days to needing to be charged twice a day even with minimum usage, went from taking 1.5 hours for a full charge to 3+ hours, and the phone was warm even when I wasn't using it. All this overnight, so I knew the update was buggy. Even my 6S Plus with it's almost 7 year old battery lasted longer than this between charges.

I did the only thing I could, updated to the iOS 16 beta and luckily that seems to have brought back some semblance of normalcy.
rkv_2401 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks