Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2020, 06:49   #13306
Senior - BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai/Bengaluru
Posts: 1,929
Thanked: 5,525 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Not a bug. Apple just wants us to buy their overpriced chargers, and devise ways to block alternatives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjadekar View Post
This is a bug in macOS and has nothing to do with the cable. Here is an earlier post on the issue.
Sebring is offline  
Old 25th November 2020, 18:08   #13307
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 28
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Not a bug. Apple just wants us to buy their overpriced chargers, and devise ways to block alternatives
I have experienced this issue even with Apple cables so I am pretty sure it is a macOS bug, given that it only manifests itself when connecting the phone directly to a Mac and the same cables charge the phone just fine in all other scenarios. The issue seems to have something to do with how the USB port is managed on the software side as using a USB hub sidesteps it as well (this is how I connect my iDevices to my Mac as and when I need to.)

If Apple wanted to kneecap other accessory manufacturers they wouldn’t, for one, take the trouble of certifying the good ones under the MFi Certification Program. Also, the risk-benefit of such obviously petty and underhanded tactics doesn’t make sense given Apple's size and reputation and the legal scrutiny and damages such a step would definitely invite.
Anjadekar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 18:44   #13308
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 19,426
Thanked: 12,581 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Resetting SMC on Mac is the first thing you need to do for such issues with connectivity, I have used many cables including Amazon basics and never had an issue. Unless the cable itself was faulty.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 21:04   #13309
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 18
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Both Amazon Basics lightning cables I bought (as a pair) always have had connection and pairing issues with my Mac.
I’ve used Anker products in the past, I used to order from USA and, friends and family used to bring it down, whether it be wall chargers or lightning cables.

If you can get a hold of them here, Anker has Powerline II USB C to lightning cable, Powerline II USB A to lightning cable, and Powerline II 3 in 1 cable wherein, it’s USB A to to micro USB cable with additional smaller USB C and lightning wires attached to the main wire near the micro USB end.

I do not have a Macbook so can’t comment on pairing with Anker pl.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th November 2020 at 21:10. Reason: Post edited, please use punctuation marks when typing.
GTsunny is offline  
Old 27th November 2020, 00:30   #13310
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,849
Thanked: 9,093 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Yet to try it’s camera which I am looking forward to
I love phone photography and ever since i moved to iphone 5-6 years back i stopped using my DSLR cameras as the iphones are getting so close to a real camera that it is unbelievable

I saw the cameras from 6s, 8+ and XSMAX

Xsmax has a brilliant camera but, the 12 Promax seems to be in a different league altogether especially in low light conditions

Couple of stock and casual pics ( sorry for some portion being out of focus as it was just snapped casually and I didn’t even tap to lock focus )

Comparison of Regular Mode vs Night Mode 👍
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-39535a7bec62480c8d207200eefbae3a.jpeg  

The iPhone Thread-792fcf66a126400e8f7cd3d5b563ebef.jpeg  

The iPhone Thread-98b58a053ded49d5ae7d4d9519bf0de1.jpeg  

The iPhone Thread-cfffab2a37b14d16ad5177e1d9913f67.jpeg  

mobike008 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 07:08   #13311
Senior - BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai/Bengaluru
Posts: 1,929
Thanked: 5,525 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

True, Apple has hit the ball out of the park with this one. I missed the pro-max by a day, but I'm glad I got the 12pro. Because a friend got one and I found it to be on the heavy side. Those pics are amazing, keep em coming
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Xsmax has a brilliant camera but, the 12 Promax seems to be in a different league altogether especially in low light conditions
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 13:19   #13312
BHPian
 
ashvek3141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Goa
Posts: 263
Thanked: 591 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Comparison of Regular Mode vs Night Mode 👍
Wow!! That is some serious camera competency there by Apple! I think with the latest iPhone, Apple is actually beating the Pixel devices in some areas of photography, especially the night mode.

Before the 12's came in, pixel devices used to to rule the night photography with their lovely 'Night sight' imaging tech.

P.S.: Looking at these pics, it's all the more tempting for me to get the 12!

I just hope the prices drop by a couple of thousands once they start to make in India in the coming months.

I just read on GSM Arena that the BIS is taking longer than usual to clear the imports from China which incudes a major chunk of the new iPhones.
Hope this move pushes Apple in manufacturing the new iPhones here in India.
ashvek3141 is offline  
Old 27th November 2020, 15:53   #13313
BHPian
 
Raghav96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 42
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Hello everyone,

I have a question related to face id. My iphone 11 sometimes unlock even with mask on(say 4/10 times). Do I need to get it checked or is it normal?

Thanks in advance.
Raghav96 is offline  
Old 27th November 2020, 16:34   #13314
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 459
Thanked: 495 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav96 View Post
My iphone 11 sometimes unlock even with mask on(say 4/10 times)
Should I call you lucky or what? Jokes aside, reset face id settings and re-scan your face. This shouldn't happen. Never happened on my 10 nor on my 12.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
I just read on GSM Arena that the BIS is taking longer than usual to clear the imports from China which incudes a major chunk of the new iPhones.
Yes, this is affecting everyone like Samsung, Xiaomi and the likes. It is been purposely done, for know reasons.
Below quoted from NDTV Gadgets360.
Quote:
When Apple's new iPhone 12 was caught in the delays, Apple India executives called on BIS to speed its approval up, giving assurances that the company would continue to expand its assembly operations in India, the two sources said.
It was not clear how long the iPhone 12 application was delayed, and Apple did not respond to a request for comment.
The company has assembly operations in India, but newer models and the iPhone 12 are imported from China, where contract manufacturers make the bulk of Apple's devices.
As of Wednesday, 1,080 applications to BIS for laptops, tablets and other devices were pending, with 669 of those waiting more than 20 days, according to the agency's website.
These included applications for devices from China-based factories of Wistron and Compal Electronics, and from Hangzhou Hikvision, the data showed.
Some of the applications for approval have been pending since September.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 18:44   #13315
BHPian
 
Cyborg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 721
Thanked: 967 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav96 View Post
I have a question related to face id. My iphone 11 sometimes unlock even with mask on(say 4/10 times). Do I need to get it checked or is it normal?
Raghav, besides resetting Face ID and rescanning it also do the following:
Go to:
Face ID and Passcode
Input your passcode
Toggle on, “Require Attention for Face ID and Attention Aware Features”.

This should take care of your problem as Face ID should never unlock your phone with the mask on.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline  
Old 27th November 2020, 19:05   #13316
BHPian
 
warrioraks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Delhi
Posts: 222
Thanked: 1,139 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav96 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a question related to face id. My iphone 11 sometimes unlock even with mask on(say 4/10 times). Do I need to get it checked or is it normal?

Thanks in advance.
Is it really a problem

My view is - Ask people around you to try unlocking the phone through FaceID. If it doesn’t unlock for them, then you are covered from a security perspective. Because it is only your face that can be used to access the phone. With or without mask.
If it turns out this way, take it as a blessing. Since the pandemic took over our lives, I am guilty of cursing Apple from time to time for eliminating Touch ID. You are the few lucky ones who does not have to remove your mask (always) to unlock your phone. And just in case if you are able to figure out how did you achieve this workaround, do share for benefit of folks like us
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 09:57   #13317
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 94
Thanked: 151 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Guys,

Is iPhone 12 an upgrade from iPhone XS in terms of camera,especially in night mode?

Asking because I’m considering iPhone 12 128GB+Apple Watch combo at the price of an iPhone 12 Pro or Pro Max while I’ll be handing over my present iPhone XS to my dad as he needs a secondary phone.
car_guy1998 is offline  
Old 28th November 2020, 10:18   #13318
Senior - BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai/Bengaluru
Posts: 1,929
Thanked: 5,525 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

I'm astounded by the iPhone Pro camera. Night mode is too good. Yes, it is definitely superior to what Apple has ever produced. I would say, even over the iPhone11, its a huge jump
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Is iPhone 12 an upgrade from iPhone XS in terms of camera,especially in night mode?
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 13:32   #13319
Team-BHP Support
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 5,840
Thanked: 7,452 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Is iPhone 12 an upgrade from iPhone XS in terms of camera, especially in night mode?
Definitely an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998
Asking because I’m considering iPhone 12 128GB+Apple Watch combo at the price of an iPhone 12 Pro or Pro Max while I’ll be handing over my present iPhone XS to my dad as he needs a secondary phone.
Good choice. I use the 11 pro now and if I am in the market now, will definitely go for the 12 (probably the mini) instead of the 12 pro. And the Apple Watch is awesome; recently got a series 6 and love it.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 23:28   #13320
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,849
Thanked: 9,093 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
True, Apple has hit the ball out of the park with this one. I missed the pro-max by a day, but I'm glad I got the 12pro. Because a friend got one and I found it to be on the heavy side. Those pics are amazing, keep em coming
Thanks. Its pretty cold out here and not getting an opportunity to click some pics. But, i will keep sharing some pics to show off the camera prowess of iPhone 12 pro max

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Wow!! That is some serious camera competency there by Apple! I think with the latest iPhone, Apple is actually beating the Pixel devices in some areas of photography, especially the night mode.

Before the 12's came in, pixel devices used to to rule the night photography with their lovely 'Night sight' imaging tech.

P.S.: Looking at these pics, it's all the more tempting for me to get the 12!

I just hope the prices drop by a couple of thousands once they start to make in India in the coming months.

I just read on GSM Arena that the BIS is taking longer than usual to clear the imports from China which incudes a major chunk of the new iPhones.
Hope this move pushes Apple in manufacturing the new iPhones here in India.
Go for it. But, please do get the pro version as the sensors are larger and there is a visible difference between the regular and pro versions

And, there is also a marked difference in pro vs. promax too especially in the night mode feature as the promax has 47% more sensor which allows more light to come in and has a longer exposure (10s) with that image stabilization feature (Sensor shift)

With respect to video capabilities, the Promax beats almost every phone in the market right now as there is no other phone which has the dolby vision feature which really makes a difference in videos

Check this awesome video shot on iphone 12 promax (view it on large screen to see the quality which is simply mind-blowing)




Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Guys,

Is iPhone 12 an upgrade from iPhone XS in terms of camera,especially in night mode?

Asking because I’m considering iPhone 12 128GB+Apple Watch combo at the price of an iPhone 12 Pro or Pro Max while I’ll be handing over my present iPhone XS to my dad as he needs a secondary phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I'm astounded by the iPhone Pro camera. Night mode is too good. Yes, it is definitely superior to what Apple has ever produced. I would say, even over the iPhone11, its a huge jump
Agree. The difference is real and you will totally enjoy the extra crisp and vibrant pictures from the iPhone 12 pro. Go for it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
And the Apple Watch is awesome; recently got a series 6 and love it.
I'm using the Apple Watch 4 from last 2 years and totally love it and so tempted to upgrade to the 6 but, somehow not totally convinced

The only feature that I miss in my watch is "always on screen" which came in from Apple Watch 5 onwards

Last edited by mobike008 : 28th November 2020 at 23:30.
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks