Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2020, 22:55   #13351
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

I guess a lot of dust has settled in the earpiece of my iPhone. Short of taking it to an Apple store or a random mobile repair person, is there a DIY cleaning technique for this kinda problem?

(For reference- the other person is barely audible during a phone call. Speaker, earphones all provide good audio)
Old 10th December 2020, 00:55   #13352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
I guess a lot of dust has settled in the earpiece of my iPhone. Short of taking it to an Apple store or a random mobile repair person, is there a DIY cleaning technique for this kinda problem?

(For reference- the other person is barely audible during a phone call. Speaker, earphones all provide good audio)
If I remember correctly, I use toothpick to gently remove dirt and debris from my wife's iPhone X earpiece. The sound before was too feeble and after the cleaning, it was Loud as day 1. Just Google for iphone earpiece volume low fix and you will find exact way to clean.
Old 10th December 2020, 07:46   #13353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
You may need to buy usb c to lightening cable, which you can buy from ebay for $8-9 (open box apple cable).
What's the use case for this cable?

For charging the phone, she would be using her android power adapter with USB - USB-C adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10th December 2020, 09:36   #13354
BHPian

Quote:

Old 10th December 2020, 09:56   #13355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Did you try using a discarded toothbrush? Their bristles would have become soft.
Old 10th December 2020, 12:21   #13356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
I replaced the battery of my iPhone 7 today at an authorised Apple SC for 3500/-.
The battery health of my new iPhone 7 battery dropped to 99% in under one month of replacement!!

Is this normal in anyway, as a health drop in just under a month is wierd.

Can those who have had their iPhone batteries replaced kindly confirm how their battery health is holding up?

P. S.: I use a Xiaomi 18W charger to charge my iPhone 7 along with the standard 5W Apple charger.
At times I also plug it to the 10000mAh 15W Mi Powerbank.
Could this be the reason for the premature drop in the battery health %?

The iPhone Thread-a9c01db076c9494fae30ddfb7102f35e.png
Old 10th December 2020, 13:05   #13357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Thank you. Borrowed the screw driver set from a friend and completed the installation. Now battery health shows 100%. Will do a full discharge and a full charge and see if the backup time has increased sufficiently.

For reference, the old battery health was at 84% and used to go below 10% within 5 hours. Also, even when the battery was at 15%, the phone used to switch off occasionally while placing a call.
It has been just 2 months since I replaced the battery in my iPhone SE. A couple of days back, I noticed battery to be discharging quite fast (battery health is showing 100% though). I also noticed the phone to be not fitting the case perfectly. I thought this could be because of the case getting deformed. But yesterday, I removed the phone and found that the screen was pushing out. If I try to push the screen back in, I can see the display getting garbled. There is something pushing out the screen from the inside. The only possibility is that the battery is bulging. I have not opened the phone yet to confirm this.

As this is a safety concern, I just bit the bullet and have ordered an iPhone 11 128GB from Apple store for 60k. Had I done this a couple of months earlier, I could have got some good discounts.

I wanted the SE2 for it's compact size (I am not comfortable with big phones). But then SE2 comes with a 1821mAh battery and in some reviews I read that within months of upgrading to iOS 14.x, the battery backup had reduced. The current SE used to have a day's battery life when new, and in 2.5 years, this dropped to less than 8 hours.

So decided to take chance with the bigger iPhone 11 which has a 3110mAh battery.

Will open the SE once I transfer all the content to the new phone and check the status of the battery. I am even thinking of replacing the battery again in Apple authorized service center and keep it as a backup phone.

Last edited by graaja : 10th December 2020 at 13:07.
Old 10th December 2020, 15:24   #13358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
What's the use case for this cable?

For charging the phone, she would be using her android power adapter with USB - USB-C adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...X9EWVXLJ&psc=1
you had posted the above link and asked if that was good, so I thought you are planning to buy the anker charger for her. This anker charger has a usb-c port so the cable which comes with iphone 11 will not work. For that you will need usb-c to lightening cable.
sagpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 15:32   #13359
BHPian

Quote:
I am even thinking of replacing the battery again in Apple authorized service center and keep it as a backup phone.
Exactly do this and either keep it as a backup or sell it. BTW, that's a huge size jump from the SE to 11 which will take quite a while to get adjusted too.
On a similar note, I had my wife's iP8 plus battery replaced from an aftermarket shop in August 20. The battery from day one was discharging at the same rate as the original battery(which was below 80%). Yesterday the phone wouldn't hold any charge and the bulge of the battery was evident with the screen pushing out. The after-market store changed the battery at no cost as he had a 6 month warranty (). I have suggested my wife to sell it and move on, but she plans to hold on to it.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 19:50   #13360
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The battery health of my new iPhone 7 battery dropped to 99% in under one month of replacement!! Is this normal in anyway, as a health drop in just under a month is wierd.
Mine too dropped 2% within a month in my 6s. Had put a new battery in June & battery health is down to 93% now! The 6s hasn't even been used in the past 90 days as i upgraded to the iPhone 11. Battery does drain out pretty fast even with the wi-fi off. Wonder if the latest iOS 14 updates have anything to do with it.
Old 10th December 2020, 20:18   #13361
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
...Wonder if the latest iOS 14 updates have anything to do with it.
I think the OS update should be the main reason. My SE's battery life fell sharply from the day the OS got updated. Maybe the older hardware may not support the battery saving features implemented in the latest versions of the OS. Maybe it is better to not update the OS beyond a couple of generations.
Old 10th December 2020, 20:26   #13362
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think the OS update should be the main reason. My SE's battery life fell sharply from the day the OS got updated. Maybe the older hardware may not support the battery saving features implemented in the latest versions of the OS. Maybe it is better to not update the OS beyond a couple of generations.
That possibly could be the reason. In the 4+ yrs that I used my 6s, I never really updated my 6s except the last 1yr. And the battery health rapidly went down during the lockdown due to more usage.

https://www.business-standard.com/ar...0700299_1.html

Quote:
Several iPhone users on Reddit and the Apple Developer Forums are reporting multiple battery issues with the latest iOS 14.2 updates. This includes rapid battery drain as well as longer-than-usual charge times.
According to MacRumors, affected iPhones all appear to be slightly older, such as the iPhone XS, iPhone 7, iPhone 6S, and first-generation iPhone SE. The 2018 iPad Pro running iPadOS 14.2 also seems to be affected.
Old 10th December 2020, 20:50   #13363
BHPian

Quote:
Mine too dropped 2% within a month in my 6s. Had put a new battery in June & battery health is down to 93% now! The 6s hasn't even been used in the past 90 days as i upgraded to the iPhone 11. Battery does drain out pretty fast even with the wi-fi off. Wonder if the latest iOS 14 updates have anything to do with it.
Quote:
Quote:
That possibly could be the reason. In the 4+ yrs that I used my 6s, I never really updated my 6s except the last 1yr. And the battery health rapidly went down during the lockdown due to more usage.

https://www.business-standard.com/ar...0700299_1.html
Maybe the latest iOS update is to be blamed. But also looking at the posts of other BHPians, the battery health or even the battery holding capacity of the 'replaced' battery isn't upto the mark; atleast in comparison to the original phone battery. Not sure, if Apple is deliberately selling sub-standard replacement batteries for the iPhones so that people are forced to upgrade their iPhones to newer one.

For sure, after replacing the battery in my iPhone 7, I didn't notice any 'remarkable' improvement in terms of battery holding capacity as compared to my earlier battery. And now, this drop in the health in under a month!
The only good part is that, the throttling has been reduced and phone has become a bit smoother viz. app opening time, transitions, etc.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 10th December 2020 at 20:56.
Old 10th December 2020, 21:14   #13364
BHPian

Quote:
The battery health of my new iPhone 7 battery dropped to 99% in under one month of replacement!!

Is this normal in anyway, as a health drop in just under a month is wierd.
My brand new iPhone XS bought from the Apple Store had 99% health right out of the box. And it dropped to 89% within 6 months.

I assumed it was because of the 30W power delivery fast charger (Anker Powerport PD II) I was using right from day 1 with the phone. I didn't even took out the standard charger brick from the box.

As I brought the phone to India anyway and nothing could be done about it, I stopped caring about the phone charging time, don't let it down less than 20% etc. and started using it pretty normally and continued using the Anker 30W charger.

Long story short, after approx. 2years 3months as of now, the battery health is at 84% which is much better than what I expected how it would last at the 6 months milestone. So I wouldn't worry much about it being at 99% after a month.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 23:10   #13365
BHPian

Quote:
As this is a safety concern, I just bit the bullet and have ordered an iPhone 11 128GB from Apple store for 60k. Had I done this a couple of months earlier, I could have got some good discounts.

I wanted the SE2 for it's compact size (I am not comfortable with big phones).
The new iPhone 12 Mini could have been a better option here considering your liking for compact phones. The battery though 2220 mAh packs enough juice to last a day with regular usage patterns.

Also, with additional 10k over and above the iPhone 11, you will be more future-proof and will be sporting the latest from the iPhone line-up.

iPhone Mini 128 GB retails at 69k including the 6k CB @ Apple & Croma stores.
ashvek3141 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed