Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2020, 20:35   #13216
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Don't go by those figures. Better to visit Apple showroom or few other places. 4yrd old 6s value was shown as 7k on Apple Online Store, but I got 11.5k for my sister's 6s 16gb at Apple showroom. I'm getting 5k for my 6s 64gb at Apple showroom due to the screen having a patch!
Mate - thanks for this ! Visited a local store. Got 39k for the device and 6k cash back for the iPhone 12. Was about to book the mini. However the store owner had an iPhone 12. It felt really good and surprisingly light ! I was sold. The pro is the right device for iPhone 11 upgrade, but it’s priced atrocious! I got the product red iPhone 12. Setup was easy that is to iCloud backup. I got the 64gb variant as I was using less than 30gb in my 11. Overall a good deal and I fell to the temptation!
sairamboko is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 21:45   #13217
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I bit the bullet. I've asked a friend to hand carry the iPhone Pro Max from the US on Nov 14th. It's $1,100. Problem is its available in Nov 13th, and he has a flight to catch the same night. If it doesn't arrive, I'll settle for the Pro. Colour is the new Pacific Blue
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 22:13   #13218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Never say never. Mini LED are the way ahead and will succeed OLED's.
I too had headaches with the iPhone 10. Changed a lot of settings like change whiteness/brightness/true tone, visited opthlamologist to get my eyes checked and almost gave up, but then the headaches gave up on me for unknown reason.
Thanks for the positivity Ritesh, but I wasn’t being pessimistic, merely realistic regarding the Pro series and PWM. I am certainly going to try the 12 Pro Max in stores but I don’t think going by the reviews on the OLED screen I shall be able to use it. It is what it is friend, mini LED’s will come when they will come.

I also tried everything from dark mode, white point, tru tone, brightness settings and a blue filter screen. Nothing helped, my eyes used to become red, puffy and burn in 10 minutes of using the phone.

Cheers
Old 7th November 2020, 01:12   #13219
BHPian

Enable DC dimming if available.

Else keep the phone at 100% brightness at all times.
Old 7th November 2020, 04:11   #13220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Ok, I bit the bullet. I've asked a friend to hand carry the iPhone Pro Max from the US on Nov 14th. It's $1,100. Problem is its available in Nov 13th, and he has a flight to catch the same night. If it doesn't arrive, I'll settle for the Pro. Colour is the new Pacific Blue
Ask him to choose store pickup. If he can get a scheduled time for November 13th, then he can pick it up
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 06:03   #13221
Senior - BHPian

He just confirmed that is not going to be possible. So I asked him to get iPhone Pro, 256GB. Hopefully they have stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Ask him to choose store pickup. If he can get a scheduled time for November 13th, then he can pick it up
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 14:38   #13222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
He just confirmed that is not going to be possible. So I asked him to get iPhone Pro, 256GB. Hopefully they have stock
12 pro is also gonna be tough, good luck with that. Worst case, get a different color and not pacific blue.

But I must say that color looks epic. I just got 12 pro yesterday and am mighty impressed. Although the screen size is 6.1”, it is very similar to 11 pro and not with 11/XR. Here’s some eye candy.

The iPhone Thread-5b19d1c144b1404788a43e9319614f57.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-74d22b35287a4eaa9963d6284fe166b8.jpeg

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th November 2020 at 06:55. Reason: typo
turbowhistle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 14:49   #13223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
A big negative for me is the entire 12 lineup supposedly has the exact same screen display quality (as per uTube and Apple store people), the Super Retina XDR as the 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max. For people like me it’s the end as far as buying new iPhones is concerned. I would so much want to pickup the 12 Pro Max otherwise.

I had PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) issues with the 11 Pro Max and had to sell it off and settle for the IPhone 11 due to the LCD screen. PWM causes severe eye strain, burning eyes and headaches. Please google for more details, it’s also discussed on Apple forums.

Please update if anyone had such issues with either the 11 Pro or Max and has tried the 12 Pro or Max once delivered.

Thanks in advance folks.

Cheers
Cyborg - been using the 12 for the past 20 hours. I used to have PWM issues too and had headaches with Samsung note 9. Then moved to iPhone LCD display phones. So far no such issues or headaches with the iPhone 12. Maybe it’s due my Lenskart blue lens spectacles , which is supposed to be good for computer and mobiles. Like others said, give it a try and see. I think all these issues are now sorted. If you are still facing issues , trying getting a reading glass or that filter lens glasses which will help you.

P. S - above is my experience. May or may not work for others
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 20:33   #13224
BHPian

Guys,
I am looking to upgrade from LGv30. I have never had an iPhone before. Confused between 12 and 12 pro. Unlike the previous generations, 12 is on par with pro, in terms of specs. I was actually surprised to see that. I dont care about camera since I hardly use it. I have 2 questions.

1. Is 25k premium worth it?. Also, paying over 1 lac for a phone is a psychological barrier.

2. If I were to buy pro, it would be silver color. Because the rest have a coating on frame which I dont like. (I dont use a phone case). I have seen a few YouTube videos. The steel is so shiny it kind of looks ugly. (My personal opinion) . Also the frame is rectangular unlike curvy previous generation phones. My LGv30 looks very premium, although the frame is aluminum. If anyone has a silver 12 pro, can you tell how it feels?
(I wont be able to visit a store to buy)

Last edited by adithya.kp : 7th November 2020 at 20:38.
Old 8th November 2020, 00:34   #13225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Cyborg - been using the 12 for the past 20 hours. I used to have PWM issues too and had headaches with Samsung note 9. Then moved to iPhone LCD display phones. So far no such issues or headaches with the iPhone 12. Maybe it’s due my Lenskart blue lens spectacles , which is supposed to be good for computer and mobiles. Like others said, give it a try and see. I think all these issues are now sorted. If you are still facing issues , trying getting a reading glass or that filter lens glasses which will help you.
Thanks Sairam

Strangely I have had the exact opposite experience, I didn’t have any issues with the Samsung Note 8 and Note 10 Plus which I sold and bought the 11 Pro Max, which I was forced to sell and ultimately settled for the iPhone 11. I tried the blue light screen guard too, didn’t help me at all. Don’t want to depend on any type of glasses so will have to give that a miss along with the phone if it comes to that.

I will definitely give the 12 Pro Max a try and update.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Else keep the phone at 100% brightness at all times.
100% brightness on the phone all the time is like blasting your eyes with insane light and an invitation to eye problems in future for sure. The iPhone Pro phones have crazy brightness levels, please don’t ever do that.

Cheers

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th November 2020 at 07:50. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Thank you!
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 08:49   #13226
BHPian

Finally I am down to giving the iPhone a try,
But the green 12 is out of sale everywhere, can I trust the apple website?
Old 8th November 2020, 09:30   #13227
Senior - BHPian

Green 12 was never available here. The full colour range is coming this month end, along with 'Bade Miya and Chote Miya', mini and Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by kippu View Post
Old 8th November 2020, 09:52   #13228
BHPian

Quote:
Apple website should be fine. Btw if you buy via offline you will be getting cash back from HDFC. ₹6000 for the 12, 12 mini and ₹5000 for the pro and pro max.

Also the iPhone 12 is really sharp around the edges. Hurts the hand actually. Can’t use it without a case.

Here are some snaps of the product red iPhone 12 and taken in iPhone 12.

The iPhone Thread-e18f159225314ea6a55ed81369e4e00d.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-2f06947a956049719692609484e297f3.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-a98fcfd99d2d4fa3a2bc52c43f69e4f0.jpeg
sairamboko is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 11:34   #13229
BHPian

Quote:
Can I trust the apple website?
Of course you can. I am surprised that you would be skeptical about buying directly from Apple! I have bought a few accessories from the Online Store and can assure you that it works well.
Anjadekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 16:58   #13230
BHPian

I pre-booked my 12 Mini on Friday and during the time I got out of the shop and returned home, I was convinced that it is going to be way too small for me. This was due to the helpful salesperson at Vijay Sales, who actually handed me a 12 mini case for a day, to get a feel of the size of the phone.
After having used the 10 for more than a year, the small screen won't cut it for me. To make myself convinced, I switched my 10 with my Mother's 7 for the past 2 days and I am done with small phones (and my mother with her 7 who won't return the 10 back). There will be too much compromise in the screen real estate and at 44 with weakening eyesight, iPhone 12 it is.
Now to order the accessories !
riteshritesh is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed