Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2020, 09:32   #13411
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Guys, urgent question with regards to Dubai purchased iPhones!
For the iPhones purchased from the Dubai Apple store, do we need to start the iPhone by inserting a ‘Dubai’ SIM first in Dubai itself and then get it to India?
Or one can just purchase a box pack phone and start it directly in India using an India SIM?

My friend is waiting to order the phone for me today. Just had this particular doubt & need confirmation.

Kindly help to clarify this doubt.
Old 21st December 2020, 09:57   #13412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Guys, urgent question with regards to Dubai purchased iPhones!
For the iPhones purchased from the Dubai Apple store, do we need to start the iPhone by inserting a ‘Dubai’ SIM first in Dubai itself and then get it to India?
Or one can just purchase a box pack phone and start it directly in India using an India SIM?
You can purchase a box pack and start using it with Indian SIM directly. There is no need of starting it with Dubai SIM. Have bought 2 of my iPhones from dubai and never faced any problem by starting it with Indian SIM.

Last edited by Zodak : 21st December 2020 at 10:04.
Zodak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 10:16   #13413
Team-BHP Support

Where is this new App Privacy feature in iOS 14.3 that has suddenly got Mark worked up. I don't see anything new on my 11 that runs 14.3. Where are these new features hidden that allow you to restrict what apps record.
Old 21st December 2020, 10:47   #13414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
My friend is waiting to order the phone for me today. Just had this particular doubt & need confirmation.
Be careful while he carries it to India. Customs have got very sneaky and anything more than one phone means you have to prove its old. I carried two of my phones and they realised they were old, but another person behind me got stopped for three phones and he had one new phone with him. Another friend of mine came in last week from Germany and the customs caught her IP11 and claimed it was new, and got a mouthful in return since the phone had thousands of pictures taken in it, which dismissed their claim.
Old 21st December 2020, 11:27   #13415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Be careful while he carries it to India. Customs have got very sneaky and anything more than one phone means you have to prove its old. I carried two of my phones and they realised they were old, but another person behind me got stopped for three phones and he had one new phone with him. Another friend of mine came in last week from Germany and the customs caught her IP11 and claimed it was new, and got a mouthful in return since the phone had thousands of pictures taken in it, which dismissed their claim.
Yeah, my friend too mentioned to me that incase he plans to come via the Bangaluru route he might have to open the box and hand carry the phone; but no such issue at Goa he said.

Nonetheless, in any case I will ask him to unbox the phone and hand carry the same. He just has one phone with him, which is his personal phone. So bascially he’ll be carrying two phones while returning.

I hope this shouldn’t be much of an issue as two phones are kinda normal in recent times.
Fingers crossed.
Old 23rd December 2020, 04:49   #13416
Distinguished - BHPian

Alright, here is why I think Santa came down and gave a Christmas present

When iPhone 12 Promax was released, I ordered the phone on Apple Store the first day of it's release and was trading in my 21 months old iPhone XSMAS (Pristine Condition)

Trade in value offered was $370 which was a bit lower than street value as it was in pristine condition but, I decided to go ahead

I received my iPhone 12 Promax and sent back my phone to Apple in the free shipping trade-in box they sent me. And, after a few days received an email saying that my phone’s Face ID wasn’t working and the revised value offered is a ridiculous $93 (I was furious as there was absolutely nothing wrong with my XSMAS and I thought Apple is playing some cheap trick to reduce value of my phone). I rejected the offer and they sent the phone back

When I got the phone back, I was yet again livid to see that it was an iPhone 11 Pro (Almost brand new and in pristine cosmetic condition) which means they were referring to the wrong phone all the while during their evaluation

I called Apple Customer Care and gave them a piece of my mind in a much heated tone and even spoke to supervisor of the executive who was equally apologetic and asked me to give 72 hours to fix this issue

I received an email confirmation that my trade value has been re-adjusted to the original value but, no information on what I’m supposed to do with the iPhone 11 Pro. Which is actually a $1000 phone.

I called customer care again and they simply told me to keep the phone as “Apple Compliments” and there was no need to return it !!

Essentially, I got the iPhone 12 Promax “FREE” + some $$$

The iPhone Thread-img_2494.jpeg
mobike008 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 07:55   #13417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I received my iPhone 12 Promax and sent back my phone to Apple in the free shipping trade-in box they sent me. And, after a few days received an email saying that my phone’s Face ID wasn’t working and the revised value offered is a ridiculous $93 (I was furious as there was absolutely nothing wrong with my XSMAS and I thought Apple is playing some cheap trick to reduce value of my phone). I rejected the offer and they sent the phone back

When I got the phone back, I was yet again livid to see that it was an iPhone 11 Pro (Almost brand new and in pristine cosmetic condition) which means they were referring to the wrong phone all the while during their evaluation
Sorry for back to back posts. I forgot to update that iPhone 11 Pro has "Zero" Face ID issues and I have configured for myself and been using it from the past week or so and works just fine. Also, tested all other features and there seems to be nothing wrong with it

Looks like I lucked out here and all thanks to Tim Cook
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 08:30   #13418
Senior - BHPian

You're quoting in Dollars. So is this in USA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Essentially, I got the iPhone 12 Promax “FREE”
Old 23rd December 2020, 09:00   #13419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Yes it is USA. I doubt the trade-in model is there in India outside Apple stores. Even then you aren't going to get a 11 Pro 'free' for a 12 Promax in India
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 09:20   #13420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Yes it is USA. I doubt the trade-in model is there in India outside Apple stores. Even then you aren't going to get a 11 Pro 'free' for a 12 Promax in India
My bad! Yes, it's in USA, I thought when I was quoting in US$, it was obvious that this is in US.

Like Narayan mentioned, India will take a real long time to come to customer service level that we are used to here in US and there is no way we are going to get a iPhone 11 Pro free in India

It has happened several times for us with Amazon. Wifey is a crazy amazon online shopper and I go into a spin not just by looking at my bill but, also with the constant arrival of items from Amazon

Many a times we don't like some items that we ordered and wifey decides to return them but, Amazon on their website confirms there is no need to return it and they refund the money instantly (but, usually these are cheaper items in range of $10-$20 value) but, getting an iPhone free is customer service at a different level..LOL!

We think it might be expensive for Amazon to arrange for return which is always free for customers and then re-ship it back to seller or re-stock it in their warehouses which maybe skewing their profitability so they just ask customers to keep the items and not return it

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd December 2020 at 09:26.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 09:46   #13421
BHPian

Hi,

I have iPhone 7, which is almost 03 years old, looking for a battery upgrade. Apple service quoting 3500/-, and they need to order the battery which will take a couple of days and they are asking for one day for replacement, whereas a local guy is ready to replace with the "original " battery for 2200/-, which is readily available, time required is 15 minutes.

A bit confused.

Suggestions Please
Old 23rd December 2020, 10:28   #13422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileline View Post
Hi,

I have iPhone 7, which is almost 03 years old, looking for a battery upgrade. Apple service quoting 3500/-, and they need to order the battery which will take a couple of days and they are asking for one day for replacement, whereas a local guy is ready to replace with the "original " battery for 2200/-, which is readily available, time required is 15 minutes.

A bit confused.

Suggestions Please

Go for the original one. Don't cheap out for 1300 bucks. Also, you get 90 days warranty with Apple.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th December 2020 at 11:52. Reason: Extra spacing
Old 23rd December 2020, 11:06   #13423
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

A bit confused.

Suggestions Please
Please go for the Original. The difference isn’t much between the 3rd party & original battery.

Infact, my 3rd party shop offered me two options; one battery @ 800/- & another one @ 1800/- which is supposedly an ‘original’ battery.
Yet, I chose to go for the one from the Apple store @ 3500/-.

The time required at Apple store too is hardly 15-20 mins. They just quote the extra time taking into account the probable rush during these times.
Old 23rd December 2020, 11:14   #13424
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

A bit confused.

Suggestions Please
Local guy will not give original battery. Better to go with Original. I have 3rd party battery in my iPhone 6S and I only got that since local guy replaced in flat 10 minutes and apple reseller near my home didn't have original in stock.
I got the battery changed in Aug 2020 and the 3rd party battery already shows "Service" and 65% capacity.
I got sort of warranty from that shopkeeper that if in 8 months battery goes below 80% he will fix it (not sure what). So yes I will be going to him soon today or tomorrow and see what he can do.
Old 23rd December 2020, 11:16   #13425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Is Apple again running some kind of offer for the battery replacement? Last time I checked, IP6s and IP7 batteries were costing around 7-8k at the Apple store. they were changing these for around 2000 Rs. a year back under the campaign that they were forced to start after admitting that new software versions, intentionally drain out older batteries faster.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks