Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2022, 08:11   #14866
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Hi - To charge iPhone 13 pro max, is using a USB to C type adapter with old old iPhone charger ok ? Or is buying a new C type charger more recommended ? If adapter is fine any recommendation for a good quality one ? Thanks.
Old 3rd September 2022, 09:12   #14867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
Hi - To charge iPhone 13 pro max, is using a USB to C type adapter with old old iPhone charger ok ?
I think the old charger should be fine, even more so if it is an Apple charger. The cable is also important, which you are possibly using the OEM cable. Only thing is that the charging speed may be a little slower with the old charger.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 14:35   #14868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Face ID - no plans to use this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
I too didn’t think much of Face ID but once you use it, it’s so lighting fast you’ll never go back trust me.
I use the iPhone 12 Pro & the iPhone 7 as personal & work devices respectively and apart from the COVID times when we had to wear the mask, the Face ID is just flawless! It is faster & convenient to use as compared to the Touch ID. Moreover with the iOS 16, Apple is claiming that they’ll be improving it further.

The convenience of viewing locked notification without even swiping or touching the screen in itself is big plus over the Touch ID.

The current iPhone 13 Mini is definitely worth the premium over the current gen SE.

On a side note, the next-gen SE which is rumoured to be released early 2023 will be based on the XR design.
ashvek3141 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 17:13   #14869
BHPian

Actually, with one of the recent upgrades , the Face ID works perfectly with the mask and specs as well. I use a mini(12) , it’s definitely a great one except for the small screen and battery life. I suspect my usage is slightly on the higher side.
sbkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 17:39   #14870
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
Hi - To charge iPhone 13 pro max, is using a USB to C type adapter with old old iPhone charger ok ? Or is buying a new C type charger more recommended ? If adapter is fine any recommendation for a good quality one ? Thanks.
My honest suggestion is to buy a new usb C charger block. Because the new one gives a 20W charge output and this will help maximise your battery life in your newer iPhone or iPad or other device.

This is what the store chap told me a few days ago when I upgraded some of my machines.

I moved from my first gen iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard and first gen Apple Pencil to the latest 5th Gen iPad Air, the new gen Smart Keyboard and the second gen Apple Pencil. I also got myself an iPhone 13 Mini, because while I do truly love the camera on my iPhone 12 Pro Max, I am finding the mini form factor much more useable day to day. I ve read that Apple will discontinue the mini form factor with the upcoming iPhone 14 series and hence I grabbed the 13 mini while I still could.

The iPad Air uses the USB C type connector at the point of charge at the adapter end and the same usb C is there at the iPad Air charging port end.
The iPhone Mini uses the type C USB at the point of charge at the adapter end and a standard lightning connector at the iPhone charge port end.
The iPad Air comes with a type C USB Adapter Charger block in the box whereas the iPhone Mini doesn’t.

I hope you will find this experience useful.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 13:22   #14871
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Though SE 2022 seems to be a VFM buy, the form factor is pretty slippery.

One thing I am still fond of is the home button. But I guess we all have to let it go at some point
Yes, the phone itself has rounded edges, but a good case can take care of that. I dont really use the home button except when I want to use the finger-print option. I also have a Moto G71, which does not have the home button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
On a side note, the next-gen SE which is rumoured to be released early 2023 will be based on the XR design.
Checked about the SE2023: it's going to be larger
Quote:
.. the iPhone SE 2023 will be for those, who want a large-sized ...
As posted here:
https://www.gizbot.com/mobile/news/a...xr-082438.html

Amusing, but Apple does not take the SE-2017 in exchange during a new phone purchase ! And my phone is in pretty good condition without a scratch anywhere.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 15:26   #14872
BHPian

Quote:
Checked about the SE2023: it's going to be larger
That’s right! Sorry, I missed to mention it clearly in my earlier post that the next-gen SE will be in line with the current iPhone sizes i.e. approx. 6”. Hence, the current-gen SE or the 13 Mini are the last small sized iPhones one can possibly get.
ashvek3141 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 09:15   #14873

Quote:
Guys, what's your views on iPhone SE 2022 vs 13 mini ?

Apart from some differences, I dont see a major reason to spend the extra 25-30k. One thing that does stand out is the screen size where the 13 mini (even 12 mini) is larger.

Not in a hurry, could get one only by Diwali time when there could be some discounts.

Currently have a 2017 SE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Exactly in the same boat. With iphone 14 launch around the corner, if there is a sweet deal, I would replace my 1st gen SE with a 13 mini. Though SE 2022 seems to be a VFM buy, the form factor is pretty slippery. I have had an iphone 6 for few weeks (around 2018), but the curved edge is a big bummer and I went back to my 1st gen SE ever since. And 13 mini , inspite of being smaller than SE 2022, packs in more screen area and is as chunky/edgy to hold like the SE 1st gen.

One thing I am still fond of is the home button. But I guess we all have to let it go at some point
I'll pick a regular iPhone over the SE if you are someone who uses the phone a lot. The battery life on the SE including the 2022 model isn't as good as the 12 Mini or 13 Mini. The SE is good as a secondary phone but not as a main phone. I remember using the SE 2020 with a battery case from my iPhone 7. SE 2022 is a bit better due to sharing the same A15 Bionic CPU from the 13 series and a slightly bigger battery. If you really want a physical fingerprint button then SE makes sense, but the latest iOS update does work with mask on.
autovarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 15:17   #14874
BHPian

iPhone 13Pro washed in a Washing Machine.

This incident happened last week. My friend somehow got her iPhone 13 into the washing machine along with the clothes. Added detergent and the machine ran the wash for 15 minutes, emptied the drum and started to spin. That's when she heard a knocking sound from the washing machine. She was already searching for the mobile and the knocking sound brought her fear of loosing the phone. But, to her utter surprise, when she picked the phone, it unlocked through the face id and popped up a notification. Switched of the mobile and took it to the Apple Care center. Technician asked to switch on the phone, she switched it on, made a test call, ran few diagnostics and he asked her to continue using the phone. It has a mild screechy sound in the speaker and its lost in the weeks use. Now its back to it pristine condition, literally washed.

This incident, keeps up my faith on the build and quality of the iPhones. Waterproof it is!!
saisree is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 17:33   #14875

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
iPhone 13Pro washed in a Washing Machine.

This incident happened last week. My friend somehow got her iPhone 13 into the washing machine along with the clothes. Added detergent and the machine ran the wash for 15 minutes, emptied the drum and started to spin. That's when she heard a knocking sound from the washing machine. She was already searching for the mobile and the knocking sound brought her fear of loosing the phone. But, to her utter surprise, when she picked the phone, it unlocked through the face id and popped up a notification. Switched of the mobile and took it to the Apple Care center. Technician asked to switch on the phone, she switched it on, made a test call, ran few diagnostics and he asked her to continue using the phone. It has a mild screechy sound in the speaker and its lost in the weeks use. Now its back to it pristine condition, literally washed.

This incident, keeps up my faith on the build and quality of the iPhones. Waterproof it is!!
iPhones generally have better build quality than most phones in the market. The 13 Pro is IP68 rated meaning it can be in 6 metres deep water for up to 30 minutes. Your friend just got lucky to remove it in 15 minutes.
autovarun is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 19:09   #14876
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autovarun View Post
I'll pick a regular iPhone over the SE if you are someone who uses the phone a lot.
Do check my prev posts. Among the must-haves for me is the phone must be compact. There is nothing outside the iphone family that is small. There could be something in Huawei etc, but I am not looking for those. Xperia was good - but they have stopped, cant even get one from US because they are not there anymore. Samsung flip is on the expensive side.

Last edited by condor : 5th September 2022 at 19:11.
Old 5th September 2022, 19:24   #14877
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Do check my prev posts. Among the must-haves for me is the phone must be compact. There is nothing outside the iphone family that is small. There could be something in Huawei etc, but I am not looking for those. Xperia was good - but they have stopped, cant even get one from US because they are not there anymore. Samsung flip is on the expensive side.
I would heartily recommend this the iPhone 13 Mini 256 GB before it vanishes. I am in fact in the process of switching over to this from my iPhone 12 Pro Max to make the Mini my primary phone. It’s form factor and compact proportions and capability are a real joy.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 10:43   #14878
BHPian

Is it a good idea to get an iphone from Australia ? I might have someone who can bring the phone from there. The iphone 13 ProMax on Apple india website is retailing at 129900 INR and is available in australia at ~1800 AUD. Is it possible that post the launch of iphone 14 the prices will come down for 12 and 13 models ?
Old 6th September 2022, 11:18   #14879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Is it a good idea to get an iphone from Australia ?
1. It is a bad idea to import iphone from other countries because warranty will not be valid. For Apple's higher end devices like Macbook/iMac, global warranty is enabled. However for their lower end devices like iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and HomePod, only country-wise warranty. For peace of mind, better to buy here itself

2. Yes, previous generation iPhones will drop in price once the new series is launched. I have a feeling the price will not dip by much considering the lower end iPhone models will have the same chipset as the current iPhone 13 models
Old 6th September 2022, 11:23   #14880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemanw View Post
1. It is a bad idea to import iphone from other countries because warranty will not be valid. For Apple's higher end devices like Macbook/iMac, global warranty is enabled. However for their lower end devices like iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and HomePod, only country-wise warranty. For peace of mind, better to buy here itself

2. Yes, previous generation iPhones will drop in price once the new series is launched. I have a feeling the price will not dip by much considering the lower end iPhone models will have the same chipset as the current iPhone 13 models
You have global warranty for iPhone’s from a long time. I’ve my 12 from Dubai (US varient) and have availed warranty without even showing them invoice so need to worry about that.
AbhishekNigam is online now   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks