Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2022, 23:10   #14986
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

I'm posting this just outta curiousity here.

I'm 20. I'm a staunch Android user, since the Android 2.3.6 days. For me, the iPhone meant iOS 10, the pinnacle of design, UI Fluidity and best user expereince. The maximum of iPhones I've ever experienced is a 5s, that too for 10 or 20 min daily.

So if I were to ditch my existing android and would want to buy an iPhone (USED, no way i can spend 6-figures on the newest 14 model), which one should i be taking?

Requirements : should last long throughout the day, should be fast enough, should be able to handle occasional multiplayer matches (Call of Duty : Mobile), insta scrolling and usual networking, occasional streaming, maximum music service streaming usage and moderate cam usage (for the beautiful sunsets). Should last for atleast the next 4-6 years (compared to 2y of android support). Should i also be looking at the upcoming SE? I really dont like these "in your face" modern designs.

PS : To this date, I'd love to have touch ID on a phone that i own. I personally love the Canary Yellow that had launched on the XR. I feel XR is quite good, but a friend of mine who owns one complains of battery drainage.
Old 16th September 2022, 23:17   #14987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Thank you! I don't have a mac, but I have used iTunes in Windows to backup before, just that when I restored I used the one in iCloud. BTW, did you imply that my app sign ins will preserved only if I use iTunes in Mac to backup? Or it works for Windows too?
When you restore a backup/set up a new phone from an existing backup either from iTunes or from a Mac, it will restore everything exactly the same way. Everything will look and feel exactly the way it looked on your earlier phone. If you use the native Mail app sometimes you may have to enter your email password.

Since you backed up your data on iTunes and restored from iCloud perhaps all the data must not have come through because it was not backed up to the cloud. Only 5gb iCloud data is free or you need to buy more space. I prefer paying ~10 thousand rupees extra while buying the phone and taking the 256gb variant at the very least.

Since I don’t have any banking apps on my iPhone don’t know how they will behave with the backup restoration. But I am reasonably sure since it’s banking related it would require your credentials to log in on your new phone.

Let me know how it goes and also if there is anything else I can help out with.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 23:49   #14988
BHPian

I came across this repair cost list in one of the videos of Beebom and I was shocked seeing some of the prices mentioned here.

I can understand that the front screen costs a bomb because it has the OLED panel, digitizer etc, but why does a plain sheet of glass on the back of the phone cost 40K? Is it a ploy to make you buy the Apple Care package? If I buy the iPhone 13 and buy Apple care paying another 18K, for a back glass crack, I still will have to shell out 2.5K for repair and 9K for any non-glass damage.

This really dampens my desire to own a modern iPhone.

And as soon as morning comes I am going to warn my wife to not let the kids play with her iPhone.

Name:  repair.png
Views: 302
Size:  377.2 KB

Last edited by dragonfire : 16th September 2022 at 23:51.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 11:36   #14989
Distinguished - BHPian

Updated to iOS16 and liking the new home screen widgets. However, not much customization options are yet available for those widgets.

One thing that is bothering is notifications coming at the bottom of screen. Now the way one holds the phone, checking bottom screen notifications is not as easy as notifications in the middle of the screen. And ideally I would want the notifications as before only. But don't think there is any option to go back to the earlier style. How about you guys?
Old 17th September 2022, 16:03   #14990
BHPian

Quote:
Planning to trade in my 6s. Is there a way to transfer everything to the new phone including user data? I mean, I shouldn't have to sign in to the apps again. Will iTunes do it?
The easiest way I did was goto Setting->General->SCROLL TO BOTTOM->Transfer or Reset Phone-> Get started.

Here it expicatly states that you can transfer everything to a new phone via iCloud even if you don't currently have enough iCloud Storage space.

Basically, it will creates a full backup of you iphone to iCloud with no limit on the data. This feature uses iCloud storage for all users, regardless of whether they have a paid iCloud storage subscription plan, to temporarily back up all their iPhone’s data to iCloud and easily transfer their data to a new iPhone. Apple gives you between 2-3 weeks to store your data in temporary iCloud storage

You can thank login into the new iPhone and restore the complete backup.

The only limitation is that you can use this only 2 times in a year.

The iPhone Thread-png-image.png The iPhone Thread-preparefornewiphoneyouarereadymessageandstepsfortradingin616x1024.jpg
car_addict is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 16:47   #14991
BHPian

It seems thermal throttling still is an issue with the 14 pros:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitvsk23 View Post
So if I were to ditch my existing android and would want to buy an iPhone (USED, no way i can spend 6-figures on the newest 14 model), which one should i be taking?
Without knowing the exact budget it’s a little difficult but roughly if you’re shopping in the 80-90k range get a used 13 pro max, it’ll easily last 4-5 years and pro motion makes the device feel liquid smooth, including playing CODM, great battery life and cameras as well.

If you’re under 60k then look at 12 pro max, except pro motion and certain camera features it’s close enough to the 13 pro max and still a great phone.

Under 30k get an 11 pro max, although this probably won’t get 4-5 years of software support. Stay away from the XR, dim LCD screen and poor battery life coupled with thick bezels make it a no go in 2022.

Quote:
I came across this repair cost list in one of the videos of Beebom and I was shocked seeing some of the prices mentioned here.

It’s not new, Apple spares have always been priced stratospherically, why is anyone’s guess but that’s the markup they demand. I don’t think they want to force people to upgrade otherwise they wouldn’t be building the products so well and providing software support for 7 years on iPhones.

The good news is unlike earlier iPhones, from the 12 series onwards they have Ceramic Shield on the front glass, and camera lenses have sapphire glass, this translates to stellar drop performance where you can drop your phone from as high as 8ft on hard concrete and it just gets dented but doesn’t shatter, you can see the different drop tests done by tech channels on YouTube.

I’ve personally never bothered with any sort of screen protector or case (or apple care) on any of my iPhones and have never managed to break my screen or scratch my cameras, so I’d say it’s a non issue.

Instead of paying 29k for Apple care, stick it in a mutual fund and chances are it’ll be 30k+ by the time you need it (if you do), most likely it’ll just sit there growing.

Sidenote: notice how the dynamic island sticks into videos shot in 2:1, there’s no quick fix for this unless creators change the vid format altogether.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-aa6c5793716b48a48e443c80f9a92dc3.jpeg  

Last edited by AJ56 : 17th September 2022 at 17:15.
AJ56 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 17:06   #14992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Either take the Apple care or put a case on it, it’s simple really. Don’t allow this doom and gloom into your life

Buy any proper tough case and then let the chips (or phone) fall the way it may. I have the Spigen Tough Armour case on my iPhone 11 dropped it 3-4 times and once slipped from my hands in such a way that it kind of ricocheted on a steel cupboard and then bounced on the floor. Nothing happened at all. Depends on the angle and lady luck

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 00:07   #14993
BHPian

I saw the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max in person today at Apple store. I have to say the ‘dynamic island’ is impressive but not must have. Earlier in the reviews, it looked like a feature good to have but having used it for a few minutes it didn’t feel like much of a deal. Camera definitely felt as an upgrade compared to my 13 pro max when I saw it side by side. Other than that I liked my Alpine Green more than the new Purple shade.

I think I will hold on to my 13 Pro Max for another year.
sahil624 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 08:54   #14994
Distinguished - BHPian

Facing severe battery drain issues in my 13 pro after installing iOS 16. The battery consumption seems to be same both in use and left idle. Earlier the idle consumption was almost a flat line in my case since hardly any apps run in the background. Anyone else facing the same?The iPhone Thread-4c346705c52f406fb91288ceb5b40dbf.jpeg
Old 18th September 2022, 09:23   #14995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Facing severe battery drain issues in my 13 pro after installing iOS 16. The battery consumption seems to be same both in use and left idle. Earlier the idle consumption was almost a flat line in my case since hardly any apps run in the background. Anyone else facing the same?Attachment 2359227
Hi Audioholic ! You are not alone. Seeing multiple reports of battery drain for iphones for ios16 in twitter. I am not updating my 12 mini to iOS 16 yet.
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 10:55   #14996

Quote:
Facing severe battery drain issues in my 13 pro after installing iOS 16.
Seeing the same here. Significant degradation after upgrade . Hoping they will raise a fix soon.
Old 18th September 2022, 11:27   #14997
BANNED

Quote:
why does a plain sheet of glass on the back of the phone cost 40K? Is it a ploy to make you buy the Apple Care package? If I buy the iPhone 13 and buy Apple care paying another 18K, for a back glass crack, I still will have to shell out 2.5K for repair and 9K for any non-glass damage.
Attachment 2358825
Thats because for the back glass repair, they literally replace your phone with a new one. Believe it or not but they can't repair just the back glass on the iPhone.
akhilesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 12:23   #14998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Facing severe battery drain issues in my 13 pro after installing iOS 16.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Hi Audioholic ! You are not alone. Seeing multiple reports of battery drain for iphones for ios16 in twitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokcj View Post
Seeing the same here. Significant degradation after upgrade
Upgraded my 11 to iOS 16, no issues faced. Normally after an upgrade it takes a few days for the battery to settle down and all processes to normalise. This being a major upgrade it may take longer.

Alternatively it could be a bug in the operating system which affects battery life in some phones. Apple has already released the first beta of iOS 16.1, hopefully it will take care of this issue if it doesn’t happen on its own.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 18th September 2022 at 12:24.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 13:18   #14999
BHPian

I too am facing the issues of battery drain in my iPhone 13 Pro Max after updating to iOS 16. The battery health has also been docked one percentage to 99, in just three months, after updating to iOS 16.
Old 18th September 2022, 13:53   #15000
DrA

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitvsk23 View Post
I'm posting this just outta curiousity here.

I'm 20. I'm a staunch Android user, since the Android 2.3.6 days. For me, the iPhone meant iOS 10, the pinnacle of design, UI Fluidity and best user expereince. The maximum of iPhones I've ever experienced is a 5s, that too for 10 or 20 min daily.

Requirements : should last long throughout the day, should be fast enough, should be able to handle occasional multiplayer matches (Call of Duty : Mobile), insta scrolling and usual networking, occasional streaming, maximum music service streaming usage and moderate cam usage (for the beautiful sunsets). Should last for atleast the next 4-6 years (compared to 2y of android support). Should i also be looking at the upcoming SE? I really dont like these "in your face" modern designs.

PS : To this date, I'd love to have touch ID on a phone that i own. I personally love the Canary Yellow that had launched on the XR. I feel XR is quite good, but a friend of mine who owns one complains of battery drainage.
TLDR: Recommendations 1-5 in descending order
(At sale prices only) iPhone 13, iPhone 12, Galaxy S21 FE, Galaxy S20FE, Nothing Phone(1)

My thoughts in detail:
First and foremost, I’m way older than you and I’m envious of the fact that you’ve been using smartphones for much longer than I am! I have been using androids since 2011 and always thought of them as the option that was more accessible for a middle class millennial. iPhones used to be the ‘less practical option’ in the initial years.

My first experience with iOS was an iPod touch that I received as a gift and I was smitten! iPhones still seemed less practical for my use case scenario! But in recent years, I have been very interested in what the current iPhones offer and the reasons why I shifted to and iPhone from a Samsung (details are not very relevant) are
1.After 3-4 years the iPhones hold their value much more than a flagship android. People like me, who exchange our phones and buy new ones would find that appealing
2. The second reason was lack of OS updates in android. While my wife’s iPhone 7 received iOS 15 last year, my newer Galaxy Note 9 (a gem of a phone) was left out in the dust by Samsung
3. Android ultra-flagships keep getting costlier and a year-old model of the iPhone would make much more sense.

That being said, since I was already in the ecosystem using the oh-so fabulous M1 MacBook Air and an iPad, the iPhone made more sense.

IMHO, I would recommend buying either the iPhone 12 or 13 ONLY during the Big Billion Days/Great Indian festival sale. They will hold on their value for much longer, the 13 offering a bit more battery life than the 12 but the latter is not a deal-breaker at all.

Yes, repairs are costlier and the cost of AppleCare plans in India are astronomical BUT then a flagship Samsung or any other phone would burn a similar hole in your pocket for repairs. I’ve been to Samsung service centres and Apple's ASPs and I can say with conviction that a factory fitted phone and a repaired phone will always have a difference. Minor issues always crop up and I ended up exchanging both eventually.

The reason I mentioned all of this is-
1. A used Pro-model would not be worth it IMHO. If money is not an issue, your use case scenario screams, a pro max model but the prices data going for would actually get you a Gen 3 Ather 450x which is what I would choose if I had that kind of money lying down in my pocket.
2. iPhones galore
-The iPhone SE makes zero sense for your use case and just the presence of a touch ID is not enough to warrant your attention.
-The 11 doesn’t have 5G (I’m opening a new can of worms with those two characters, I know!). If that doesn’t matter to you, the 11 would make a lot of sense for you. The notch on an iPhone becomes virtually invisible to your eyes and seems normal once you start using it.
- The 14 twins are a joke. The 13 makes 100% sense instead.
- The 12 would hit the sweet spot at sale prices in the end of September 2022.

3. The new Samsung flagships, especially the mid-range flagships (funny, I know) make a lot of sense since they also support three or four years of updates depending on the models now. The two FE twins would make more sense to any buyer. OneUI is way more user-friendly than the Touchwiz Samsungs of yore

4. The Nothing phone 1, too warrants a second look though it’s too early to know it’s long term reliability. But with Carl Pei’s reputation, it does make it an interesting proposition.

I guess that’s about it.
DrA is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks