Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2022, 07:41   #15106
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
1. Does the iPhone allow you to set up the home screen without any icons at all? I want to keep my home screen empty except for a wallpaper and then swipe to the other pages for accessing apps and icons
I think so, but not tried doing this

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana
2. Will porting WhatsApp and other data back from Apple be a hassle if in the future I switched back to Android?
Quite easy, I transferred the whole WhatsApp history when moved from the 12 to S22. However, I remember that the option was available for iPhone to Samsung at that time. Maybe good to check if the option is extended to other Android devices.

Quote:
3. Is iCloud a must or can I use OneDrive or Google Drive for backups as I do currently?
4. Can I continue to use Google Photos as my primary media application?
Not at all. I always use Google Photos as my backup for all the photos. Just install Google Photos and keep the backup option ON. And you can use Google Photos as the primary media application.

Quote:
5. Can I use VPN apps like Surfshark?
6. Can I use YouTube Premium?
Yes, for both…

Quote:
It'll be the iPhone 14 Pro Max or the Samsung S22 Ultra.
Both are great options but pretty massive to hold; the Samsung somehow feels slightly compact in hand, but the Pro Max trumps with its massive battery backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Which would be a better deal, guys - unlocked 13 Pro Max at 91K or (upcoming) 14 Plus at 90K?
The 13 Pro Max. The 14 Plus is effectively a 13 with a larger screen, definitely not worth the 90K price tag.

Last edited by vb-saan : 28th September 2022 at 07:47.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 08:11   #15107
Senior - BHPian

So I moved to a 13 Pro from a 6s plus which I was using for close to 6 years. I use phones for as long as possible before replacing it. The only reason I got it replaced was the battery health which was 71% towards the end. I could have replaced the battery itself and used it for few more years in hindsight.
Anyway on the new phone, I noticed that for a new phone, the battery discharges rapidly. I did read some posts saying that it was because of the latest 16.0 update. Mine was updated when I got the prompt when I was setting up the phone and now is on the latest version.
What I was wondering was will Apple actually fix this in a next release? I don't want to have a new phone in which the battery back up is not as per expectation and then gets lower as it is used.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 17:55   #15108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
What I was wondering was will Apple actually fix this in a next release? I don't want to have a new phone in which the battery back up is not as per expectation and then gets lower as it is used.
As per Apple they have already fixed the battery drain issue in 16.02 update. If yours is still draining more I will suggest to check the apps which are the culprit for the same. Mine is Iphone 13 just 5 days old and after the latest update I haven't noticed any extra battery drain.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 19:07   #15109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The latest update is 16.0.2 which is supposed to fix quite a few bugs among other things. If you are on 16 please update your phone. Normally after every update it takes a few days of background stuff for the phone to stabilise.

If things don’t stabilise, don’t worry, there is a main 16.1 update in the pipeline which should fix things.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 20:48   #15110
BHPian

Quote:
Which would be a better deal, guys - unlocked 13 Pro Max at 91K or (upcoming) 14 Plus at 90K?

Thinking of upgrading.
13PM at 91k is definitely a better deal but where are you getting it. Where I'm from, 14plus is available at 5k card discount and 13PM is available at a discount of 10k on MRP. Apple site is running a 7% discount on card and that's all. If you don't mind please share your seller offer.
Old 28th September 2022, 20:59   #15111
BHPian

Quote:

Thinking of upgrading.
13 Pro Max makes more sense than the 14 Plus. As of now, there doesn't exist much price difference between these two.
Old 28th September 2022, 21:12   #15112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Some more shades of purple - in better lighting

Attachment 2362284

Attachment 2362285
I picked up a purple IPhone 14 pro too. The colour indeed looks unique. It could range from anywhere from purple to grey to black based on the ambient lighting conditions.

Meanwhile I couldn’t resist sharing the lockscreen of my phone:
The iPhone Thread-4f4ae92c1b8546589c3b80bc11ce03e6.png

Last edited by sub.g84 : 28th September 2022 at 21:17.
sub.g84 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 23:49   #15113
Distinguished - BHPian

There is an interesting thread that I discovered this morning. For all iPhone users, the camera quality is of utmost importance. For me, its the most important feature of an iPhone as there is no other phone in the market that comes even close with respect to "true" colors and overall quality from stock pictures.

And, I also assume all iPhone users make full use of its glorious camera quality.

I'm a amateur photographer and I click everything that walks, crawls, flies and is also stationary.

If you'd like to see a comparison of iPhone 12 Promax vs. iPhone 13 Promax picture quality.

Check this post out :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post5411392 (The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?)
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 07:45   #15114
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
There is an interesting thread that I discovered this morning. For all iPhone users, the camera quality is of utmost importance. For me, its the most important feature of an iPhone as there is no other phone in the market that comes even close with respect to "true" colors and overall quality from stock pictures.

And, I also assume all iPhone users make full use of its glorious camera quality.
I am an iPhone user for the same reasons. And have been doing so since 2011 or so. I absolutely love the camera and the true colours. Also, since I view all these pictures later on my various iPhones ans iPads and most of my family and my wife’s family are also on the Apple eco-system, we all appreciate the beauty and depth of colour and detail in the iPhone Pro Max’s photos.

(The below photos were taken in Kenya in 2017 on the iPhone 7.)

Please tell me, in your opinion, considering that my use case is mostly the same as yours, should I actively upgrade from iPhone 12 Pro Max to 14 Pro Max?
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-3c75346b1cee4fd583e4f693d2314861.jpeg  

The iPhone Thread-9ce62c997f0b43a287ec1c2ad2d82fc9.jpeg  

The iPhone Thread-528f5c0958194dbc9205ce634d401362.jpeg  

The iPhone Thread-7260846de6144895973afd7c6e82b0df.jpeg  

The iPhone Thread-96f84136c678435fa6f9d8ff2d64625b.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 29th September 2022 at 07:48.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 08:17   #15115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Should I actively upgrade from iPhone 12 Pro Max to 14 Pro Max?
If your battery health is holding up well, I would suggest keeping the 12 Pro Max for another year and upgrading when the next gen comes out (apparently iPhone 15 Ultra).
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 08:45   #15116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Please tell me, in your opinion, considering that my use case is mostly the same as yours, should I actively upgrade from iPhone 12 Pro Max to 14 Pro Max?
Nice to know we have similar photography passions. iPhone is meant to be used extensively for photography as the pictures both on phone as well as on big screen looks amazing and is a great way to save your memories.

I have this habit of comparing the pictures of my older phone after buying new phones. Until 12 Promax the difference is day and night. But, when I moved to 13 Promax, the difference wasn't day or night but, still there is a huge difference as the color depth and blacks have improved quite well.

You can see my comparison pictures in other thread.

14 Promax will be a nice jump from 12 Promax and you will most certainly see a lot of differences. Since most of iPhones hold good value, if you want it as a photography beast, then go ahead with 14 Promax by all means.

Quote:
If your battery health is holding up well, I would suggest keeping the 12 Pro Max for another year and upgrading when the next gen comes out (apparently iPhone 15 Ultra).
12 to 14 pictures will certainly be different and a couple of steps up.

An unrelated point- 13 Promax speaker quality is crazily loud. I always get taken aback with volume and have to always turn it down as the speaker quality is awesome.

I understand iPhone has improved 14 Promax speaker quality to be even better.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 08:58   #15117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
12 to 14 pictures will certainly be different and a couple of steps up.
A couple of steps – yes, but I have a feeling that 14 to 15 will be a massive jump, like how the change happened from 11 to 12. I am someone who changes devices every year, so will do a move even with minor upgrades, but for those who actually hold on to their devices for a couple of years or more, I always suggest looking for a substantial change; in this case, USB-C update (on the 15) by itself is a massive change for iPhone landscape.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 15:48   #15118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Apologies if these are stupid or newbie questions. I'm a lifelong Android user and thinking about dipping my toes in. It'll be the iPhone 14 Pro Max or the Samsung S22 Ultra.

Thanks!
There is a migration assistant to move from Android to iPhone. It moves most of your settings, applications and data. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201196

One difficulty in switching back to Android from iOS is with iMessage. You need to follow the steps to disable iMessage. https://support.google.com/android/answer/6156081?hl=en

iPhone is nicer as it gives you fine grain control over application permissions since Apple markets privacy as a feature. This also means that some applications gain more privileges in Android as it is relatively easier. The same applications behave better with their iPhone versions as you can disable most of the unnecessary access.

Last edited by ohaak : 30th September 2022 at 15:51.
ohaak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 16:25   #15119
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
A couple of steps – yes, but I have a feeling that 14 to 15 will be a massive jump, like show the change , I always suggest looking for a substantial change; in this case, USB-C update (on the 15) by itself is a massive change for iPhone landscape.
I agree and shall take your advice. Am going to wait for iPhone 15. USB C is already there on my iPhone 13 Mini and on my new iPad Air too.

Its best to have one type of charger, to save all these headaches of carrying multiple wires.

The sad thing is that in India buying an iPhone is a Cap Ex item. There is no proper trade in value. And there are no carrier offered inducements like there are abroad.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th September 2022 at 16:30.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 16:30   #15120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Guys, what's a recommended screen protector for iPhone 13 Pro Max ? Also looking for a case , that doesn't make the phone more bulky, but still provides protection.
I swear by Spigen Screen Protectors as well as Cases. Although the Tough Armour Series which I prefer would make the phone bulky, they have a multitude of options to choose from.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks