Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2022, 19:43   #15196
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Airtel has started 5G services in Bangalore along with 7 other cities. While I was trying to enable 5G on my iPhone 13, I found that 5G mode is missing, did anyone else notice this behavior?
[/ATTACH]
I saw various articles in newspapers and publications that Apple / Samsung and other phone makers need to enable the same via software update. Most of the phone OEMs are currently in the process of testing their devices. On a followup query of why there was no testing till now or why the testing is not complete, there is no answer So it will come in sometime once phone OEMs are able to complete testing and enable the same for India.
Turbo_anup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 19:56   #15197
BHPian

Any suggestions for SMS app for iPhone, similar in functionality to "SMS Organizer" that is available on Android? I recently moved to iOS, and am badly missing the features of SMS Organizer.

I am looking for options to block unwanted messages (from OLX, Cars24, etc.). I have updated the Settings, and also marked them as Blocked, but it is not working as there is no number attached to these messages. Or is there a way to mark these as Junk? Not able to find this option anywhere.

With SMS Organizer, all these messages used to be filtered, conveniently put in Promotions folder, and ignored.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-messages.jpeg  

Old 6th October 2022, 20:07   #15198
BHPian

Re: Messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi.Knight View Post
Any suggestions for SMS app for iPhone, similar in functionality to "SMS Organizer" that is available on Android? I recently moved to iOS, and am badly missing the features of SMS Organizer.

I am looking for options to block unwanted messages (from OLX, Cars24, etc.). I have updated the Settings, and also marked them as Blocked, but it is not working as there is no number attached to these messages. Or is there a way to mark these as Junk? Not able to find this option anywhere.

With SMS Organizer, all these messages used to be filtered, conveniently put in Promotions folder, and ignored.
You can install Truecaller and from settings you can choose Truecaller for sms filtering. Messages will still appear in messaging app but filtering will be done by Truecaller.
cryptarchy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 21:14   #15199
BHPian

Surprising that operarors did not use Iphones during trials to test
They might have found them costly and avoided them
Old 6th October 2022, 21:19   #15200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Airtel has started 5G services in Bangalore along with 7 other cities. While I was trying to enable 5G on my iPhone 13, I found that 5G mode is missing, did anyone else notice this behaviour?
Apple is currently testing this for handsets in India, it should be available through a software update soon for iPhone 12 and above.

https://www.bgr.in/mobiles/apple-to-...chief-1330858/

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 15:15   #15201
BHPian

Re: Messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi.Knight View Post
I have been using Verosms extensively for the last 3 years because of the ability to fine tune your own whitelist and blacklist keywords. It also uses crowdsourcing for the keywords. As it is an Indian developer, the keywords are India centric. I have also paid for the app to support the Indian dev (one of the few).

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/verosms/id1269693537

Last edited by car_addict : 7th October 2022 at 15:17.
car_addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 14:42   #15202
Senior - BHPian

Guys need some help. I had an office iphone 13 mini which I started using from today. I converted the physical sim from my iPhone XR to an e-SIM in the iPhone 13. I did not do a phone transfer but manually set it up because the 13 was already in use and did not want to lose any data. Now the message (SMS) app is not working. I am not able to receive or send messages. In settings, I have selected the new sim for messaging but its still not working. Can anyone please help?

Last edited by Pancham : 9th October 2022 at 15:01.
Old 9th October 2022, 15:20   #15203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys need some help. I had an office iphone 13 mini which I started using from today. I converted the physical sim from my iPhone XR to an e-SIM in the iPhone 13. I did not do a phone transfer but manually set it up because the 13 was already in use and did not want to lose any data. Now the message (SMS) app is not working. I am not able to receive or send messages. In settings, I have selected the new sim for messaging but its still not working. Can anyone please help?
All incoming and outgoing messages will be blocked for 24 hours after you convert your physical SIM to eSIM.
You might have received notification for the same from your carrier.

The iPhone Thread-5326682c0a6d41a592437219586f4b44.jpeg

Last edited by AjinkyaP : 9th October 2022 at 15:44.
AjinkyaP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 15:26   #15204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjinkyaP View Post
All incoming and outgoing messages will be blocked for 24 hours after you convert your physical SIM to eSIM.
You might have received the notification for the same from you carrier.
Ah! Thank you so much. That's a relief.
Old 9th October 2022, 22:22   #15205
Senior - BHPian

My ship will be goin to the US in a few days. I wanted to pick up a phone for my wife (She wants an iPhone). I have shortlisted the iPhone 14 Pro Max 256 GB and the Pixel 7 Pro 512 GB. Now if I was buying for myself I would choose between the 2. However this being the iPhone thread, I'm sure everyone will recommend the iPhone. So let me not ask that question. However let me ask something else:
- The US model has only e-Sim. My wife is using BSNL and Airtel both prepaid. Is there any issue with using Airtel on a US model. Regarding the BSNL, she'll probably keep a secondary Android phone for that till BSNL starts e-SIMs.
- The price difference is quite a bit between India and the US. However I will not get warranty and the Sim tray. Is it worth taking the risk with no warranty?
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-iphonepixel-comparison.jpg  

The iPhone Thread-pixel-7-pro.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 9th October 2022, 22:44   #15206
Distinguished - BHPian

iPhone have international warranty so no issue, also Esim from airtel will work without any issue.

Also esim is probably the future just like how we went to nano sim, In couple of years we will only get esim.

Last edited by AtheK : 9th October 2022 at 22:45.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 00:35   #15207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Vert interesting thoughts.

This was a bit unsettling. Why not ? (Spend on them, why not spend on yourself as well? )
Thanks brothers!

Of course, I spend on coffee! For everyone else, its just 50 Shades of Bitter

For me, the only threshold I care is the phone camera. 7T crossed it though I was very disappointed with the 1+ 9Pro camera. With the son now old enough to comply for photos, I no longer need an iPhone camera for its low light speed as i did in the iPhone 6 era.

Its like my car - the Ford Aspire 1.5 DCT was a comfortable sleeper boyracer (vs the Polo's rear seat). Why spend a penny more?

Plus work related exposure to android ecosystem is a must. No energy for a separate android test phone. BTDT all of 2019. Pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Well, you are justifying your forum handle, aren't you

I like your ideology but it's good to sometimes splurge on yourself too as well. We live only once. If family is comfortable then we are allowed to take care of ourself too. That's what i believe in.

e.g Courtesy 1.5 decades of back pain, I now sleep on the floor almost everywhere (even in 5* hotels) even though I'm pretty much recovered. No mattress discomfort issues plus appeals to the stoic in me!
Old 10th October 2022, 00:45   #15208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
iPhone have international warranty so no issue,
I was told that International warranty is available only on MacBooks and Wifi only devices.

Quote:
also Esim from airtel will work without any issue.
Good to know. Hope BSNL starts e-Sims soon. Both me and wife have 1 BSNL & 1 Airtel Sims. I heard that VI is not that great. I want to avoid Jio as far as possible.

Quote:
Also esim is probably the future just like how we went to nano sim, In couple of years we will only get esim.
As of now only Apple, Pixel and a few Motorola and Samsung Models support e-Sim. Also for me physical Sim is a big convenience as I usually pick up a local Sim in every port if we have more than 2 days stay.
Old 10th October 2022, 02:23   #15209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
My ship will be goin to the US in a few days. I wanted to pick up a phone for my wife (She wants an iPhone). I have shortlisted the iPhone 14 Pro Max 256 GB and the Pixel 7 Pro 512 GB. Now if I was buying for myself I would choose between the 2. However this being the iPhone thread, I'm sure everyone will recommend the iPhone. So let me not ask that question. However let me ask something else:
- The US model has only e-Sim. My wife is using BSNL and Airtel both prepaid. Is there any issue with using Airtel on a US model. Regarding the BSNL, she'll probably keep a secondary Android phone for that till BSNL starts e-SIMs.
- The price difference is quite a bit between India and the US. However I will not get warranty and the Sim tray. Is it worth taking the risk with no warranty?
At US prices it not even a contest between the iPhone and the Pixel, iPhone it is. eSim should not be an issue as long as the phone supports the 4g/5g bands in India.

And if you are thinking about Pixel at all, I would suggest give it a few months atleast. I pre-ordered a Pixel 6 Pro last year to be used as a second phone and there were numerous bugs some small, some very serious and some which havent been resolved until today! Overheating even when you doing day to day stuff, fingerprint sensor not working at all in the sun, Wifi Bluetooth disconnections, 5g disconnections unless you go to airplane mode and back on etc etc.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 10th October 2022 at 02:24.
Old 10th October 2022, 10:29   #15210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
At US prices it not even a contest between the iPhone and the Pixel, iPhone it is. eSim should not be an issue as long as the phone supports the 4g/5g bands in India.
I also have same question, if we get an iPhone-14 from US , whether both e-sims will work fine in India or not. I tried getting this info from Apple service centre, but they couldn’t confirm for sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks