Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2023, 21:23   #15946
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Hi everyone, a new iPhone user here. I bought a 14 plus 2 months ago. The battery health indicator was initially showing 100% and it has fallen to 99% about 2 weeks back. I casually searched the web and general opinion is that this is nothing to worry about. A colleague of mine had actually tried to dissuade me from buying the iPhone citing these issues and I’m still a bit apprehensive about it. Is this normal? Is there anything that I can specifically do in order to prevent premature battery failure?

P.S: Currently running iOS 17.0.3. Usually I charge at around 20% all the way till 100%. But unable to stick to this schedule while travelling. Only once (today), I had taken it to less than 5%.

Last edited by GKR9900 : 9th October 2023 at 21:28.
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 21:45   #15947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Hi everyone, a new iPhone user here. I bought a The battery health indicator was initially showing 100% and it has fallen to 99% about 2 weeks back..
Nothing to worry to be honest, mine is a version 13 and is just 14 months old, and my battery health is down to 93% already. This is when I use the 15W charger from Samsung and don't overcharge it. Checked with few others and its the same story. I guess it starts reducing the moment it starts recharging.

But, I haven't seen any major change in its useable timings so far. In fact it is now way better in 5G in a different geographic location, compared to pathetic VI sim I used back in India.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 22:04   #15948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
I don't want to deal with Apple care anymore especially the harrowing time I had trying to connect on their number which would say invalid at times and the call would just disconnect when you're put on hold when it does connect. Spent half a day just trying to get them to consider getting my phone repaired under warranty.

Also, the other thing I didn't like is that they just give 90 days warranty for anything that is replaced at the centre. So, If my phone dies again in the future I will just call it peace and move on instead of boiling my blood in order to get it repaired.
The sad part is that Apple in India has some of the highest prices worldwide, and yet has the worst possible customer service experience. I’m sure they simply don’t include India in their customer satisfaction scores, else it would be abysmal (not the 98% they claim).

The other point to note is that even with local manufacture of non-pro iPhones, the prices are still exorbitant. Customs duty is no longer an excuse!

And increasingly, the products are having much higher failure rates too. Slippery slope overall

Was a huge Apple fan since the early 2000s, not anymore. The products, longevity and the ecosystem are generally great, but if you encounter an issue with repairs/warranty, the nightmare begins. Reminds me of Škoda

Last edited by evolvo : 9th October 2023 at 22:05. Reason: minor edits
Old 9th October 2023, 22:48   #15949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
My iPhone XR started getting warm and draining battery fast after this 17.03 update. This was not the case till 17.02 update
Same for me. I waited for 2 days before mentioning this as iOS usually takes 24 to 48 to optimize the battery usage. Even battery capacity has reduced by 2 percentage and now it is at 86%. May be the new wallpaper (Kaleidoscope) is also eating battery as it is dynamic one.
Old 10th October 2023, 00:25   #15950
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone, a new iPhone user here. Is there anything that I can specifically do in order to prevent premature battery failure?
Here’s couple of articles from Apple support

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208387

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT210512
rx100 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 01:05   #15951
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone, a new iPhone user here. I bought a 14 plus 2 months ago. The battery health indicator was initially showing 100% and it has fallen to 99% about 2 weeks back. I casually searched the web and general opinion is that this is nothing to worry about. A colleague of mine had actually tried to dissuade me from buying the iPhone citing these issues and I’m still a bit apprehensive about it. Is this normal? Is there anything that I can specifically do in order to prevent premature battery failure?
Not normal at all, it takes my iPhones many months to go from 100 to 99% health (5-7 months mostly). It could be your phone shipped with a slightly lower actual capacity (close to its rated capacity). Generally every iPhone ships with 103-104% capacity from the factory, but some can be closer to 100.5 or 101%, in these cases, the battery health shown in settings, will fall faster.

Like car speedometers, the percentage shown in settings if off by 3-4%, and like speedometers it over reads by the same percentage.

Check your nominal charge capacity under privacy-analytics-analytics data and divide with your max FCC to get your actual battery health. Or you can use a shortcut like this:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/87c...9b63de4ae5ad5a

What I’ve found over the years is, the single biggest factor wearing out my iPhones battery is heat, most of which happens during charging or heavy use like camera and gaming. For this, simply use an ice pack when using MagSafe or whenever it gets very hot, if your display dims even a bit, your phone is too hot and it’s hurting the battery.

Also, with the 15’s finally offering a charge limiter, you can program it to stop charging at any preset value, generally 80% is a healthy cutoff. 20% when using, going below or above these one or twice won’t hurt anything but regularly letting it sit at 100% kills your battery health over time.
AJ56 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 10:04   #15952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post

Also, with the 15’s finally offering a charge limiter, you can program it to stop charging at any preset value, generally 80% is a healthy cutoff. 20% when using, going below or above these one or twice won’t hurt anything but regularly letting it sit at 100% kills your battery health over time.
Does 15 Plus has a charge limiter or it's reserved for Pro'a only?

Also, I have read this don't charge your iphone to 100% lot of times. However, my experience has been a little different. I leave the phone on overnight charging and when I wake up in morning it's 100% always. It's been 13 months since I got this and battery is at 96%. And I am a heavy user.

By the way from day one I have used the Apple 20W charger.

Last edited by harry10 : 10th October 2023 at 10:08.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 10:46   #15953
Distinguished - BHPian

Like I do, you guys can use a WiFi socket or a timer plug in case you don't have WiFi at home and program it to switch on every night by say 3 AM and turn off by 5:30 AM. Plug in your phone when you go to sleep in this socket and the charging will start at 3 AM and switch off at 5:30 which is enough to fully charge your iPhone without stressing the battery by keeping it plugged in (& at 100%) for the entire night.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 11:03   #15954
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Yes its available. 80% limit.
UD17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 11:11   #15955
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone, a new iPhone user here. I bought a 14 plus 2 months ago. The battery health indicator was initially showing 100% and it has fallen to 99% about 2 weeks back.

P.S: Currently running iOS 17.0.3. Usually I charge at around 20% all the way till 100%. But unable to stick to this schedule while travelling. Only once (today), I had taken it to less than 5%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Nothing to worry to be honest, mine is a version 13 and is just 14 months old, and my battery health is down to 93% already. This is when I use the 15W charger from Samsung and don't overcharge it. Checked with few others and its the same story. I guess it starts reducing the moment it starts recharging.

But, I haven't seen any major change in its useable timings so far. In fact it is now way better in 5G in a different geographic location, compared to pathetic VI sim I used back in India.
The battery health of my iPhone 13, purchased in April '22, is down to 91% already. Have regularly charged the phone only with the original Apple charger and limit my charge to 90-92% on a daily basis. Full-charge only when traveling. Have noticed that the battery health has taken a downward slide especially after updating to iOS 17. If I use 5G, be it Airtel or Jio, the drain is accelerated. It's possible that dual-SIM usage on the phone is a contributor for faster battery drain.

In comparison, my iPhone 12 Pro purchased just a few months earlier than the 13, surprisingly fares much better in comparison, with regard to battery health.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 11:17   #15956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Like I do, you guys can use a WiFi socket or a timer plug in case you don't have WiFi at home and program it to switch on every night by say 3 AM and turn off by 5:30 AM.
I have an even more simpler solution than this. This is what I use. I have added an Automation which is present in the Shortcuts App.

The Automation is triggered when my phone’s battery reaches 96% and then a preselected Song plays. You can customise the battery percentage as per your convenience and when it charges above it the song will play.

Note: Keep the Notify when Run setting off. I am not sure if it works with other Music apps. I am using the Automation via Apple Music. Also, this is applicable to the users who don’t charge overnight. The last thing I want is someone to disturb your sleep, let alone your phone.

Attaching pictures for reference:

The iPhone Thread-img_5321.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-img_5322.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-img_5323.jpeg
ex-innova-guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 11:50   #15957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
The battery health of my iPhone 13, purchased in April '22, is down to 91% already. Have regularly charged the phone only with the original Apple charger and limit my charge to 90-92% on a daily basis. Full-charge only when traveling. Have noticed that the battery health has taken a downward slide especially after updating to iOS 17. If I use 5G, be it Airtel or Jio, the drain is accelerated. It's possible that dual-SIM usage on the phone is a contributor for faster battery drain.

In comparison, my iPhone 12 Pro purchased just a few months earlier than the 13, surprisingly fares much better in comparison, with regard to battery health.
I think that's quite normal percentage drop. Wife's iphone 13 also purchased in April 22 is showing 90% battery life. She uses it atleast 50% less than me and charges only once a day. While I charge my iPhone 13 much more as I use it a lot. Battery drain on 5g and even on wifi is definitely more on ios17. IOS was much better in battery drainage.
Old 10th October 2023, 12:32   #15958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
I have an even more simpler solution than this. This is what I use. I have added an Automation which is present in the Shortcuts App.

The Automation is triggered when my phone’s battery reaches 96% and then a preselected Song plays. You can customise the battery percentage as per your convenience and when it charges above it the song will play.

Note: Keep the Notify when Run setting off. I am not sure if it works with other Music apps. I am using the Automation via Apple Music. Also, this is applicable to the users who don’t charge overnight. The last thing I want is someone to disturb your sleep, let alone your phone.
Yes, I too use this Automation from the Shortcuts App, it's the best one.
Old 10th October 2023, 12:41   #15959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

Also, I have read this don't charge your iphone to 100% lot of times. However, my experience has been a little different. I leave the phone on overnight charging and when I wake up in morning it's 100% always. It's been 13 months since I got this and battery is at 96%. And I am a heavy user.
Yes all 15’s get the charge limiter function, hopefully it comes to all iPhones soon as it’s just basic software tweaks. You can also check cycle count much easier on the 15’s.

Heavy user doesn’t necessarily mean high cycle count, for eg. if you have a lot of screen on time but don’t use processor intensive tasks like 3D gaming or heavy camera/LIDAR use, then you’ll still have a low cycle count relative to someone who goes through more charge-discharge cycles.

Regarding 100% soc, it’s a well documented fact with any lithium chemistry, be it Li-ion, Li-poly or Li fe or any other combo with lithium, from the smallest cells found in rc toys to giant packs inside Tesla’s, the cells will age much quicker if kept outside the 80-20% soc range. This is the reason Apple and tesla and many other EV’s limit charging to 80% (unless the user overrides it), to reduce cell health degradation.
Old 10th October 2023, 12:49   #15960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Folks, need to buy a couple of high power multi-port wall chargers for our travel. This is to cater for hotel rooms where we can simply plug in the same and charge a iPad, iPhone and/or Airpods etc. simultaneously.

Has to be USB-C; Apple sells a dual-port one for 6K! Any suggestions?

Hi, are you looking for something like this?
https://amzn.to/3Fdyjhj

I have been using 2 of these for about 1.5 years now. They work really well.
Shitij is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks