Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2015, 15:24   #8446
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Yes, its the apple care protection plan. Initially I was also offered the Croma extended warranty, which is nothing but an insurance.

I doubt whether it will cover accidental damages. One of my friends told me that buying such retailer offered warranty is useless and asked me to get the apple care. Since I was within the 15 days of purchase period, I was able to cancel the extended warranty/insurance and get a refund. I checked in Apple website and I saw Croma listed as authorised resellers and only few branches in Bangalore were listed. Hence while cancelleing my extended warranty, I asked them about the apple care plan and they said they can get it from other Croma stores and thats how I purchased it. I will be collecting the apple care plan box today from the Sarjapur Road, Total mall store. Will let you know how it goes. I wasn't offered the apple care plan initially.

Hope this helps!

Hi. Apple care does not cover accidental damages in India. Also it costs INR 4500 for iPhone 6.

EDIT: Sorry just realised it has been answered already.

Sai. I don't think accidental damage will ever get covered in India. If they do everyone will ensure that the phone accidently gets damaged on the last day of warranty and get a new phone every 2 years.

Last edited by Pancham : 23rd December 2015 at 15:28.
Old 23rd December 2015, 15:56   #8447
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Hello All
I have an iPhone 6s 64 GB Space Grey. It is my first iPhone and I absolutely love it. My previous phone was a BlackBerry Q10 so when I made the switch I was pretty happy.
I purchased it from an exclusive reseller store in Mumbai.
What I would like to mention is that I luckily did take the 2 year insurance scheme which set me back by 6,000 bucks but was well worth it.
The phone slipped from my hand while I was getting out of the car since I was not completely used to having a phone so slim and sleek.
The impact height was around 3 feet and the phone fell on the face. The screen shattered very badly and the tempered glass nor the "Inner Exile" phone cover could protect my phone.
Here is when the insurance came in handy.
Yes, one is not supposed to tell Apple or the Insurance agency straight away that the phone fell due to their carelessness. Make up a small story and stick to it till the end which doesn't put the blame on you (you will be required to enumerate the story to 3-4 people at least while claiming)
All I had to pay was about 1200 bucks for processing and got a brand new iPhone 6s in my hands in about 3 days.
They even mentioned that my case was the first insurance claim for an iPhone 6s in Maharashtra and pretty much India as well (sad but crazy isn't it?!)

So yes, now I'm rocking the iPhone, I have this pretty hot impact proof cover for the phone. It's called the UAG Black Impact Proof case and it is even military certified for being impact proof.
And for the tempered glass I'm using an edge to edge glass from MKK. It's amazing.

Cheers.
Old 23rd December 2015, 18:43   #8448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_Jaiswal View Post
Hello All

Yes, one is not supposed to tell Apple or the Insurance agency straight away that the phone fell due to their carelessness. Make up a small story and stick to it till the end which doesn't put the blame on you (you will be required to enumerate the story to 3-4 people at least while claiming)
All I had to pay was about 1200 bucks for processing and got a brand new iPhone 6s in my hands in about 3 days.
They even mentioned that my case was the first insurance claim for an iPhone 6s in Maharashtra and pretty much India as well (sad but crazy isn't it?!)

Cheers.
would like to know what story did you make up?
Old 23rd December 2015, 18:51   #8449
Team-BHP Support

If one has Insurance (and not just extended warranty), why the need to make up a story?

If Insurance won't cover accidental damage (by default/definition), why have it at all?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd December 2015 at 18:52.
Old 23rd December 2015, 19:02   #8450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If one has Insurance (and not just extended warranty), why the need to make up a story?

If Insurance won't cover accidental damage (by default/definition), why have it at all?
Carelessness is not an accident. Basically if you leave it on your lap sitting in your car and get out of the car without noticing the phone, that is regarded as carelessness. This wont hold good for insurance. By accident the story should be something that happened without your control

My dad broke the screen when he dropped his mobile. My uncle is an insurance disbursing officer and as per him, we had to claim that my dad slipped off a step and landed with the phone in his back pocket.

Now, having understood that the Apple care plan and my insurance is different, I will move forward to purchase the extended warranty from the apple store itself. I hope they wont create an issue since I brought the phone from croma and not from istore.
Old 23rd December 2015, 19:26   #8451
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Carelessness is not an accident. Basically if you leave it on your lap sitting in your car and get out of the car without noticing the phone, that is regarded as carelessness. This wont hold good for insurance. .......
Really surprising, if true.

'Accident' is a very subjective term by itself, and usually applies broadly to anything that isn't done intentionally (in this case for example, nobody would intentionally place a pricey phone in a perilous position). Isn't that what insurance is for, damage caused without the intent to cause it? Why the need to lie about what/how it happened to claim what one paid for?

Do different types of insurance work differently? I don't remember the carelessness caveat ever being mentioned anywhere. Suspected intentional damage being refused coverage, sure, but unintentional damage (a.k.a. carelessness) not covered by insurance is new(s) to me.

Who decides what's careless and what's accidental?

P.S. This discussion probably belongs to the Insurance Queries thread, though I guess it's a somewhat valid point here too given the sticker price of the gadgets in question.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd December 2015 at 19:50.
Old 23rd December 2015, 20:14   #8452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_Jaiswal View Post
Hello All
I have an iPhone 6s 64 GB Space Grey. It is my first iPhone and I absolutely love it. My previous phone was a BlackBerry Q10 so when I made the switch I was pretty happy.
I purchased it from an exclusive reseller store in Mumbai.
What I would like to mention is that I luckily did take the 2 year insurance scheme which set me back by 6,000 bucks but was well worth it.
The phone slipped from my hand while I was getting out of the car since I was not completely used to having a phone so slim and sleek.
The impact height was around 3 feet and the phone fell on the face. The screen shattered very badly and the tempered glass nor the "Inner Exile" phone cover could protect my phone.

So yes, now I'm rocking the iPhone, I have this pretty hot impact proof cover for the phone. It's called the UAG Black Impact Proof case and it is even military certified for being impact proof.
And for the tempered glass I'm using an edge to edge glass from MKK. It's amazing.

Cheers.
Hey,

Can you please let us know which insurance you have?
I mean from which company.

I was doing a little research and all I could find was negative reviews about most of the gadget insurances.

Thanks

Rachit
Old 23rd December 2015, 20:55   #8453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Hey,

Can you please let us know which insurance you have?
I mean from which company.

I was doing a little research and all I could find was negative reviews about most of the gadget insurances.

Thanks

Rachit
Hey Rachit.

It is from Aarvi Insurance. This is the insurance scheme sold by Maple who is an authorised reseller for Apple products in Mumbai.
The scheme costed me Rs. 6,000/- which covers me from accidental damage, theft, etc for a period of 2 years.
If you need any more clarification then let me know straight away.

Cheers.
Old 23rd December 2015, 21:36   #8454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Really surprising, if true.

Who decides what's careless and what's accidental?

P.S. This discussion probably belongs to the Insurance Queries thread, though I guess it's a somewhat valid point here too given the sticker price of the gadgets in question.
Though OT, I suggest you read the insurance fineprint for gadgets. There will definitely be a clause which indicates that acts of carelessness(or irresponsibility) or the like will be given clearly for both damage and theft.

Another use case is you just cant say you have left the phone somewhere and cant find it to claim insurance. You should give a justified story of theft in the police complaint to get a valid claim registered.
Old 26th December 2015, 21:12   #8455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpcard View Post
would like to know what story did you make up?
Hey there!
Sorry for the late reply I missed your question there and just came across it when I was going through the posts again.
The story basically has to be such that does not put any blame on you.
I do not know if I can say it out loud here, but it was something like a passerby pushed me by mistake and I fell, hence dropping the phone.
And yes, it is very important to specify that once the phone got damaged, you have immediately contacted the insurance company regarding the issue without any delay.

Cheers
Old 27th December 2015, 15:56   #8456
BHPian

Do not order iPhone through Paytm. I am currently going through a nightmare. Ordered a 6s 64GB on 22nd Dec. Got mail yesterday that it was out for delivery, I waited all day but no body turned up then in evening I got a mail that it was delivered. Nobody delivered anything and I checked their courier partner (Delhivery )website, it shows it was delivered at 6:55 but no information about who signed it or anything. Called Paytm and Delhivery call centers and getting usual reply of we ll revert back in 24-48 hours. No resolution till now.

Planning to file a police complaint and a cheating case if nothing happens till tomorrow. Did some research on net about Delhivery and it seems like its a normal practice with them. I have been ordering stuff online since years but never faced something like this.

Really pathetic experience

-Ijeet

Last edited by ijeet : 27th December 2015 at 15:57.
Old 27th December 2015, 16:53   #8457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
Do not order iPhone through Paytm.
I just got a 5s, a Yamaha guitar, an Asus laptop and plenty of clothes for Christmas from paytm in the last one week. No issues at all. I had a situation when the delivery company was not picking the phone but I went to their branch locally and picked it up the next day. I think your phone will be delivered and they may have wrongly updated the data to meet their delivery SLAs. Call the courier company helpline and get the local office number and visit them. You can definitely ask for signature of delivery and get your money back, am sure.
Old 27th December 2015, 17:28   #8458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post

Really pathetic experience

-Ijeet

Sorry to hear about your situation.
I received an iPhone 5s last week ordered through Paytm and there were no issues with it. Now expecting an iPhone 6s in a couple of days.
I hope that your issue gets resolved soon.
Old 27th December 2015, 22:44   #8459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I'm not sure about India but in most of the world Apple care is indeed about Hardware defects and Technical Phone support.

Also, bear in mind Apple care will apply only to the country where you bought the device. So for instance if you travel to the USA and buy an iPhone and Apple care to bring it back to India the USA Apple care is only valid for the USA and won't be honoured in India!

Jeroen

This stands true only in case of iPhones. iPhones carry country specific Apple Care coverage. However, all other products like all MacBooks or iPad are covered with international warranty. And in USA, Apple care covers accidental damage as well on iPhones, just that it charges $200.00 as coPay for all claims related to accidental incidents.
Old 28th December 2015, 02:17   #8460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
This stands true only in case of iPhones. iPhones carry country specific Apple Care coverage. However, all other products like all MacBooks or iPad are covered with international warranty. And in USA, Apple care covers accidental damage as well on iPhones, just that it charges $200.00 as coPay for all claims related to accidental incidents.

Warranty and Apple car are two different things. I bought my MacBook Pro in the Netherlands. It comes with international warranty, but the Apple care is only applicable to the Netherlands.

Jeroen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks