Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2015, 13:06   #8371
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Since the 'other' phones are put on challenge, let me also jump in the discussion.

I bought a Morola Atrix 2 in July 2012 which is currently being used by wife. No signs of battery bulge or reduction in battery backup or any other issue so far. Only few scratches on metallic finished fairing. Even I didn't feel need for upgrade till I used it, it was just the MotoX which grew on me just for it's smart features like offline Moto Voice, Moto Display, voice command based drive mode, attentive display, gesture based operations like twist wrist to open camera, chop twice to open torch and icing on the cake - pure Android based firmware with assurance of receiving future updates.

So finally bought the MotoX 2nd generation in Dec 2014 which is again going to complete one year in the upcoming Christmas vacations. Again no signs of aging despite a couple of drops. Rather expecting to keep using it for couple of more years until Motorola or some other trustworthy brand comes up with something more 'smarter' than MotoX.

Both the phones have got gorilla glass protection so didn't use screen guards and so far none of these phones have seen any scratches. I just use carry pouches for kind of transport protection, otherwise I like to keep my phones naked, still they survived.

I am the kind of guy who believes in throwing out the phone when any major issue arises because after sales service scene is not that great in India. Maybe Apple has bit of customer centric approach but then they charge twice the money than their phones are worth so why wouldn't they offer such services.

Last edited by GTO : 12th December 2015 at 10:23. Reason: Language
Old 11th December 2015, 13:09   #8372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanwheels View Post
My question is- if it were all so good, why did the battery bulge and screen warp happen? If I am being charged a bomb, then nothing of this sort should happen in the first place. Has NEVER happened with any android phone that I, my friends and family members have personally owned. I rest my case
Valid point, though all of this happened in my 3rd year of ownership.

But then how many cases do you know, of where android phones were so easily replaced after a defect was noticed? especially the ones in the same price bracket ... and for free

Last edited by vinjosep : 11th December 2015 at 13:34.
Old 11th December 2015, 13:44   #8373
Senior - BHPian

I had owned an iPhone 4S and now I own iPhone 6.
IMHO its overrated phone and it surely is a reliable phone, nice ownership experience, bragging rights, blah blah but that certainly doesn't make it the best phone or feature rich phone or easy to use phone which I surely believe Android phones are.

Its a known fact that men love technically complex gadgets, they like to be challenged, etc. and iPhone provides them that opportunity. I also strongly believe that females generally buy iPhone for other reasons than its stability, etc.

I have not used Android till date and using Lumia 930, BB Passport and iPhone 6 currently but my wife is using Samsung Galaxy Note II and I have fair idea about Android.

My rankings wrt best OS is BB by some good margin, Windows, Android and iOS are all distant second.

I was shocked to see that a basic feature like conditional call forwarding was not present in iPhone 4S and a paid App was available to do that. I have not yet bothered to check yet on iPhone 6 but have come across a Youtube video for that.

Now coming to the question as to why the heck I bought the iPhone 6, it was due to the few reasons, one I got it at very tempting price, secondly I hoped that my wife would like it due to sleek design (though she doesn't like iPhones 0.1%) as her Note II is fairly old (but I really like it now) and lastly I was bored of waiting for Windows 10 mobile upgrade which is yet to come.

Also remember No Person, No Car and No Mobile is perfect.
Old 11th December 2015, 13:57   #8374
Senior - BHPian

One of my friends has a Samsung Edge S6. Almost daily he would make this joke and laugh, "Bro!! Can you transfer that song via bluetooth" And then he would go, "Oh Shoot! I forgot your 60K phone doesn't have that feature". I chuckle and let go. Its like asking a BMW 320d owner if the car has a DVD player. No it does not and it does not need one either.

I am not here to defend Apple and bash android but here are some points I would like to highlight:

1. Apple Service: Much talked about feature but not too much discussed here or referred to by Android fans. Eh? Why? I have owned a Samsung, Nokia, Sony Ericsson , HTC. I have had such pathetic levels of service each time I went in. It was like a Skoda experience every time. They take you for granted every single time. Forget about replacement. Sony guys broke the edge of my Cybershot phone and did not care to inform me. When pointed out they denied it straight away. Similar stories with Samsung.
Now don't tell me good service is not a necessity. We give a lot of importance to A.S.S when buying a car then why not for phones.

2. Spec sheet: Its unfortunate that we still look at spec sheets and blindly go ahead and buy phones. The iPhone 6s has a puny 1700 mah battery. Compared to that S6 has 2600 mah. Huge difference right? then how is it that both the phones run for similar number of hours? Both run for a day approx with decent/good amount of usage. Thats how iPhones are built. Same story with the RAM. 1 GB RAM compared to twice and thrice the sizes of other flagships but still manages to do similar levels of multi tasking.

3. Facetime: I have not seen or experienced any other app that gives this good quality audio and video calling. Voice calling is there in whatsapp as well and its good. But video- Facetime wins hands down. Its so brilliantly simple to Video chat with people anytime or anywhere.
Previously, with skype it was very very frustrating (frequent call drops and false rings) but I dint have a choice so never really understood the brilliance of Facetime. Now me and my mom both have iPhones and I travel a lot. So I stay connected to her all the time through Facetime. Its just like making a call. Only thing you have to do is not stick the phone to your ears. Just look at it. Flawless video quality (subject to decent connectivity/wifi) and it is as simple as making a phone call.
Even with whatsapp you experience false rings. i.e. you call someone and the phone rings but you are not really sure if the other person is getting your calls. But with FT, 95/100 times your call will get through. It is not a breakthrough feature but it is a very simple thing that so many manufacturers have not yet been able to replicate in their phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Though I prefer the Android interface, I have to completely agree with you here. My HTC One is falling apart in 19 months. The screen, camera & main speaker - all have hardware issues. It was the same with the Samsung Galaxy that I used before this.
Same story with the HTC I had.

Quote:
Wow, I am amazed that so many people are gaga over an iPhone ! Now before the knives are out- let me declare upfront that I am an iPhone 6 user, with a strong buyer's remorse !

Then all of a sudden, I decide to try the other side of the fan following- Apple/iOS. Now honestly, given all the brouhaha surrounding it, I "expect" to be overwhelmed (I certainly did while paying for the iPhone 6), and satisfied with the much much touted iOS functionality, slickness, ease, intuitive interface and how well it integrates with other iDevices.
I am sorry to say Toofan but this is what happens when you listen and get influenced by what other people are doing. You should have researched and it is a known fact that iPhones neither make coffeenor will they do your dishes and would certainly not turn your world around. Its a good quality phone and one should buy it if it suits their needs.

Quote:
My question is- if it were all so good, why did the battery bulge and screen warp happen? If I am being charged a bomb, then nothing of this sort should happen in the first place. Has NEVER happened with any android phone that I, my friends and family members have personally owned. I rest my case
Are you serious? In this world of modern technology any device can give up on you no matter how much money you spend. Same with Apple, Samsung, HTC. However, apple devices have a better history of reliability and good service.

I use an iPhone because I feel it fulfills all my needs. To each his own. So what if it cannot download music illegally or send files via bluetooth. I don't really need these features.

I have been using apple devices for 1.5 years and no manufacturer is perfect. Androids are not perfect. They have glitches too. Consider samsung, they tried to sell Samsung S5 for 55K with crap features. The phone failed miserably and they dropped the prices. Wasn't that a way of short changing the customers?

Last edited by Pancham : 11th December 2015 at 14:03.
Old 11th December 2015, 14:38   #8375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I am sorry to say Toofan but this is what happens when you listen and get influenced by what other people are doing. You should have researched and it is a known fact that iPhones neither make coffeenor will they do your dishes and would certainly not turn your world around. Its a good quality phone and one should buy it if it suits their needs.

Are you serious? In this world of modern technology any device can give up on you no matter how much money you spend. Same with Apple, Samsung, HTC. However, apple devices have a better history of reliability and good service.
Easy with the sarcasm bro. I am serious about what I write here. This has never happened with the androids that I, my friends or family members have used. Why is it do difficult to believe?

Also, its not about being influenced, but about trying something new. I have been disenchanted with the iPhone and like you say "to each one his own", I am expressing my own opinion on a public forum. That was the last of what I speak on this topic. Have a good day.
Old 11th December 2015, 14:45   #8376
Senior - BHPian

Guys, this thread is turning into an IPhone vs Anroid war zone. Can we pls keep this thread to discuss just the iPhone and IOS.
Like someone summed up, both the androids and the IOS devices are good and to each their own views.
PS: don't come after me now. I am only trying to stop this battle. Buy the way I hooked on to IOS from the first I phone days.Lol.
Old 11th December 2015, 18:33   #8377
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to Ironhawk, my conference call problem is resolved. I simply called the operator to enable it and they did it in a jiffy.

But, why it was not enabled in first place is still a mystery to me...

I am using an iPhone 6+ for 3+ months and have to confess it's extremely good. Impressed with its battery back-up, performance (very smooth) and UI is eye-candy with dazzling colors and unending apps at my disposal that work flawlessly

But, does that make it the best phone out there? Nope!

I personally still love the Blackberry 10 OS and feel its way superior than the iOS and Android in every possible area of a phone performance.

Had to ditch it after being loyal for over a decade for professional reasons and was also getting annoyed with its feeble apps eco-system

Btw....

Note: Please do not turn this thread into an OS war and be courteous when addressing each other. Thank you !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 11th December 2015 at 18:36.
Old 11th December 2015, 22:16   #8378
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks to Ironhawk, my conference call problem is resolved. I simply called the operator to enable it and they did it in a jiffy.

But, why it was not enabled in first place is still a mystery to me...
Conference facility was free earlier and enabled by default. Operators realised they can cash in on this.

Now it's a paid value added service that you need to enable.
Old 11th December 2015, 22:21   #8379
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Conference facility was free earlier and enabled by default. Operators realised they can cash in on this.

Now it's a paid value added service that you need to enable.
Really? Which operator?

I had it for free, Airtel MH.
Old 11th December 2015, 22:24   #8380
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Really? Which operator?

I had it for free, Airtel MH.
I remembered Airtel asking me to pay Rs.49/month to enable it in Bangalore, KA.
Old 12th December 2015, 06:02   #8381
BHPian

I bought an Android last week and now its bricked already. Had to factory reset and recover it. I am planning to move to iPhone 5. 6 is out of reach. I would like to know hows the battery backup? Also will 16GB be enough to have the necessary apps? Also please guide me in how to make the transition.
Old 12th December 2015, 08:10   #8382
BHPian

The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1449887954.922115.jpg
Here is my battery backup for 6S Plus.
Speaks for itself.

PS - I was a diehard android fanboy who turned to iPhone on insistence from wifey. She had an iPhone all along.
Old 12th December 2015, 08:11   #8383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

I personally still love the Blackberry 10 OS and feel its way superior than the iOS and Android in every possible area of a phone performance.

I completely agree on this with you 👍🏻

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I bought an Android last week and now its bricked already. Had to factory reset and recover it. I am planning to move to iPhone 5. 6 is out of reach. I would like to know hows the battery backup? Also will 16GB be enough to have the necessary apps? Also please guide me in how to make the transition.

There are some great deals on the 5s going on.
Battery backup strictly depends on usage, so it is hard to say how long will it last with your usage.

16GB is okay if you are going to use the phone only for calling, messaging, social networking, emails and other miscellaneous apps. But if you like to carry lots of music or videos in your phone then you must get the 32GB model.
Old 12th December 2015, 08:16   #8384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
I completely agree on this with you 👍🏻

There are some great deals on the 5s going on.
Battery backup strictly depends on usage, so it is hard to say how long will it last with your usage.

16GB is okay if you are going to use the phone only for calling, messaging, social networking, emails and other miscellaneous apps. But if you like to carry lots of music or videos in your phone then you must get the 32GB model.
Thank you! Is there any memory card support or any external storage support for iPhones?
Old 12th December 2015, 08:20   #8385
BHPian

Yes there are external memory options for iPhone which are similar to the OTG support that is available in almost all android phones.
You can check this product for reference -
SanDisk, SanDisk iXpand 32 GB Flash Drive for iPhone https://m.snapdeal.com/product/page/...nk&viewinapp=1

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks