Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2015, 13:03   #8281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Thanks. Once I download it could you take me through the steps.

Feel free to PM incase you need any assistance
Old 26th November 2015, 11:55   #8282
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

After using iPhone 4 for about 6 years, finally upgraded to 6S
The only problem I am facing is that I cannot use the MUSIC App. When I launch the App, all I get is the Apple Music logo and it stays there. I can however play music from the 'Control Center'.

So do I have to purchase Apple Music subscription for Rs. 120/month to be able to use the App or it's another issue? Any help would be much appreciated

Here's what I get when I launch the App.

The iPhone Thread-6s.png
Old 26th November 2015, 12:58   #8283
BHPian

Not necessary. Go to Music under settings and disable Apple Music
Old 27th November 2015, 08:10   #8284
Distinguished - BHPian

Where do I find the downloaded (received via. whatsapp) music file on my iphone

Sorry for the newbie question but, i just couldn't locate it.

Also is there a universal search in iphone where you can search for a file extension from any screen?
Old 27th November 2015, 08:56   #8285
BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Where do I find the downloaded (received via. whatsapp) music file on my iphone
Sir, on stock IOS, doing any of this is practically impossible. Music files that you have received within an app, in this case whatsapp, or if you use a music downloader, then that app, will remain accessible within that particular app only. IOS isolates its applications from the central storage, for security reasons.
Certain options have been provided, for images and documents to be transfered to other apps, but thats it
And, since there is no access to storage, you cannot search for file extensions.
Old 27th November 2015, 13:20   #8286
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Sir, on stock IOS, doing any of this is practically impossible. Music files that you have received within an app, in this case whatsapp, or if you use a music downloader, then that app, will remain accessible within that particular app only. IOS isolates its applications from the central storage, for security reasons.
Certain options have been provided, for images and documents to be transfered to other apps, but thats it
And, since there is no access to storage, you cannot search for file extensions.
Thanks. This sounds downright ridiculous

And to enable such things under pretext of security is even more ludicrous. I would rate this the single most downside of using an iPhone

Now how do i listen to music files? ( I am against paying iphone for downloading anything from iTunes or Apple store for that matter)

Can you or someone suggest how to copy music files (is it direct copy from laptop to phone?) and is there a free music download app?
Old 27th November 2015, 13:30   #8287
BHPian

Quote:

And to enable such things under pretext of security is even more ludicrous. I would rate this the single most downside of using an iPhone

Now how do i listen to music files? ( I am against paying iphone for downloading anything from iTunes or Apple store for that matter)

Can you or someone suggest how to copy music files (is it direct copy from laptop to phone?) and is there a free music download app?
Lol.. I understand what you are going through. Went through much of the same after gifting my wife an iPhone and trying to move her music in.

iTunes is the way to go. Here's the thing, once you get used to the idea that you control the storage on the phone through iTunes, it's not too bad. And you might appreciate a plus side or two to this approach.

But would I buy an iPhone for myself for this... Hmm, that's a completely different discussion.
Old 27th November 2015, 13:31   #8288
BHPian

Quote:

Well technically, free music downloads amount to piracy. Yes some apps exist, but ill leave it to you to hunt on the app store.
Assuming you have music on your laptop,you can add those mp3 files to itunes, and then sync your phone with itunes on your laptop. No need to purchase music from apple, but that is the only other way to get music to play from the stock music app.
Keep in mind, that if you get any free download app, the music downloaded can be played only from that particular app, not from the apple music player( reason ive already mentioned earlier).
One reason of doing this, is to combat piracy to some extent.
You can also try an app like saavn or gaana atleast for hindi. A very minimal monthly subscription will let you keep the songs legally on your phone.
Old 27th November 2015, 14:07   #8289
Senior - BHPian

I've subscribed to Apple Music and pleased that there's even an Android app! I have an Android phone, so it's even more useful. One subscription allows you Apple music access to 6 devices. For just 120 bucks a month, it's definitely not very expensive. It's available in USA/UK for $10/£10!!

Regarding access to files from other apps, the main reason it's not possible on iOS is due to the sandboxed nature of apps. Each app has its own space and can't edit/modify files that are used by other apps. While this is certainly a good aspect for security, some users might feel it's restrictive. One only needs getting used to this and the advantages are plenty. Eg a rogue app can't corrupt your data. All permissions must be explicitly given. You can control which app uses what things (eg camera, contacts, mic, etc). Also I've noticed this- if you open your photos/ PDFs/files in another app, the file is copied into the space of the other app. Original file is not modified/deleted.

Ps- its not that you can't add your songs, but you can't download them directly to the phone. If you have a library on PC, just download iTunes and sync to phone.

Last edited by blackwasp : 27th November 2015 at 14:09.
Old 27th November 2015, 15:04   #8290
Senior - BHPian

Well, this happened!

The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1448616538.243212.jpg

Had kept the phone on my lap and when I was getting up, it fell to the ground, on a metal surface. The phone fell and the bottom left corner made contact. Thankfully the tempered glass guard covered the whole screen and hence the the phone's screen was safe.

The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1448616772.123453.jpg

Now I've to get a new one.
Old 27th November 2015, 19:57   #8291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Not necessary. Go to Music under settings and disable Apple Music
Worked like a charm Thanks for the tip Gokrish
Old 28th November 2015, 09:51   #8292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Assuming you have music on your laptop,you can add those mp3 files to itunes, and then sync your phone with itunes on your laptop. No need to purchase music from apple, but that is the only other way to get music to play from the stock music app
I used iTunes around 5 years back and just once when I had an iPod. I remember vividly, had synced my iPod with iTunes once and transferred all my music and never used it ever again.

If its not much of a bother, can you step-wise let me know how to transfer music files from laptop to my iphone?

Quote:
You can also try an app like saavn or gaana atleast for hindi. A very minimal monthly subscription will let you keep the songs legally on your phone.
I use Gaana regularly and like the app. Since I use it to just listen to songs and not download on my phone, it's free

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I've subscribed to Apple Music and pleased that there's even an Android app! I have an Android phone, so it's even more useful. One subscription allows you Apple music access to 6 devices. For just 120 bucks a month, it's definitely not very expensive. It's available in USA/UK for $10/£10!!
This is great news. What do you mean by subscribe to Apple Music? Subscription only allows you to listen to music or also allows you to download?

Either ways, it's a good deal for INR 120/Month especially since 6 Apple devices can be connected

How do I go get around to getting this subscription? Do I need to download any app or is there an option directly from apple store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Regarding access to files from other apps, the main reason it's not possible on iOS is due to the sandboxed nature of apps. Each app has its own space and can't edit/modify files that are used by other apps. While this is certainly a good aspect for security, some users might feel it's restrictive. One only needs getting used to this and the advantages are plenty. Eg a rogue app can't corrupt your data. All permissions must be explicitly given. You can control which app uses what things (eg camera, contacts, mic, etc). Also I've noticed this- if you open your photos/ PDFs/files in another app, the file is copied into the space of the other app. Original file is not modified/deleted.
Good Info

Last edited by mobike008 : 28th November 2015 at 09:53.
Old 28th November 2015, 09:59   #8293
BHPian

Quote:
I used iTunes around 5 years back and just once when I had an iPod and I remember vividly I had synced my iPod with iTunes once and transferred all my music and never used it

The simplest way to do it, is open itunes, and drag and drop all your music files into the itunes window. Those music files will get linked into your itunes library. Or on the top left corner, there is a button, clicking on it will give you an option to add file or folder to library. Now, plug in your iphone. On the top of the itunes screen, you will see an iphone image. Click on it.
A page with all your iphones details should open up, there will be a tab for music on the page. Click on it, and select sync all music if it is not selected by default. And then tap on sync on the bottom right side.
P.S : all this is off the top of my head, so i might be slightly inaccurate.

Apple music is a part of the stock music app itself. Once subscribed, you can also save the songs locally on the device, to listen to later. But, you may or may not find all the songs of your choice. I did not, and hence have unsubscribed. Open the music app. Tap on the 'person' icon on the top left. You should see an option for apple music.
Old 28th November 2015, 11:20   #8294
BHPian

Has anyone used Parallel Universe Magic Tempered Glass for iphone 6/6s? The product claims that it has two virtual buttons just like most android phones to select back/confirm options present in top left & right of the screen. The product looks great given the price, but as there are no reviews on the product, I'm not sure if it works.
The link to the product: Parallel Universe Smart Magical Tempered Glass Screen Protector with 2 virtual buttons for iPhone 6/6s https://www.amazon.in/dp/B015OCXJ7O/..._i9twwbABHC3B7
Old 28th November 2015, 12:18   #8295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is great news. What do you mean by subscribe to Apple Music? Subscription only allows you to listen to music or also allows you to download?

Either ways, it's a good deal for INR 120/Month especially since 6 Apple devices can be connected

How do I go get around to getting this subscription? Do I need to download any app or is there an option directly from apple store?
You can log in from iTunes on pc or the music app on your iDevice and subscribe. If you are paying for the first time, there could be a charge of $1 that'll be refunded to you after a month. Credit card is preferred as payment will happen monthly. But international debit cards work as well.

The subscription will upload your entire iTunes library (existing songs) to cloud (available on your other devices). Along with that all the songs on Apple music can be listened as well as downloaded. They are protected songs, so only played via iTunes/Music app. Downloading is known as "make available offline" either for individual song or entire album. Also theee are all high quality songs around 10-15 Mb in size.

My dad is also a fan since old Hindi songs are also available. No buffering on 3g. So you can listen on the go as well. The Apple music app is even available on Android platform.

Ps- first 3 months will be free if you haven't yet used Apple music. You'll need to provide payment info though.

Last edited by blackwasp : 28th November 2015 at 12:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks