Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2015, 22:04   #8356
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
1) What's with no toggle button for Mobile Data on the homescreen or notification bar? How can I sort this out if at all I can?

5) Lastly, are there significant advantages of getting a glass tempered screen even when the OEM screen is keying-proof? Would it protect the screen from shattering from a drop maybe?
1. You cant. Apple is seriously US centric and in their mind, you dont need such things on an ongoing basis (just as I would like 2G-3G switcher). Their low power mode manages data just fine, and their phones run well over a day so they don't bother with such things.

5. Yes yes yes. Think of the tempered glass as a sacrificial layer that absorbs the first impact. Remember with your screen - it may take an initial impact well. What about the 2nd one? 3rd? 4th? ...? Far better IMHO to get a not-so-soft gel case and put a tempered glass. It feels as nice as the original screen and saves your phone screen everytime - no contest!! Remember iPhones have glued on screens - repairing that screen is no easy job. Far better to protect it robustly.
Old 10th December 2015, 22:45   #8357
BHPian

Hi guys, I'm facing a strange issue on my iPhone 5c since a week, after I swapped and reswapped SIMs with my other phone (Moto X 2nd gen). I've noted this issue after testing for the last 3-4 days and I'm pretty sure this is the problem. So what's happening is when I'm connected to my home wi-fi and try to make a call, 5 out to 10 times I will get a call failed message the first time and immediately when I redial I'm able to connect. However, this issue doesn't occur when I disable wi-fi and I'm only on the airtel 4g network. I have a 4g enabled sim and 4g is activated on my number. Things work perfectly fine when I put my airtel sim into my moto x and no such issues are faced. I also switched to vodafone number on my 5c and even then I didn't face any call failed issues. So I believe this is due to some 4g network settings of Airtel but not sure how that is connected to my home wifi frequencies, leading to call failure on occasions.

I know that call failed issue is common on iPhones and can be reset so I tried all those tricks but none of them worked. I still face the same issue. Although a minor irritant, I'm finicky about how my gadgets perform so would be great if someone can tell me what's going on here and how do I rectify this issue. All other functionality works fine. I don't have a problem with receiving calls or using data or wifi on my phone.

Thanks.

p.s. Just about a month back the airtel network was horrible around my place for about 2-3 days due to some servicing work and at that time I wasn't even able to make or receive calls in certain areas of my home. Not sure if this could be a reason as well.
Old 10th December 2015, 23:32   #8358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
5) Lastly, are there significant advantages of getting a glass tempered screen even when the OEM screen is keying-proof? Would it protect the screen from shattering from a drop maybe?

See this post I made couple of pages back: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3857189. The tempered glass saved my screen.
Old 10th December 2015, 23:45   #8359
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, I need some help. I use an iPhone 6+ and have a weird problem

In my line of business, I need to constantly patch people into calls. Therefore, adding and merging calls is very important to me.

But, for some reason i am not able to add a call when already conversing with someone.

What I can do is add a call and speak to the 2nd party ; keeping 1st party on hold but, the merge button on screen is "disabled/greyed out" and due to which unable to conference the 3 parties (including self)

What could be wrong and how to resolve it?
Old 10th December 2015, 23:55   #8360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Guys, I need some help. I use an iPhone 6+ and have a weird problem

In my line of business, I need to constantly patch people into calls. Therefore, adding and merging calls is very important to me.

But, for some reason i am not able to add a call when already conversing with someone.

What I can do is add a call and speak to the 2nd party ; keeping 1st party on hold but, the merge button on screen is "disabled/greyed out" and due to which unable to conference the 3 parties (including self)

What could be wrong and how to resolve it?

Call your operator and ask them to enable to call conferencing facility. It should be at no extra charge.

By default call conferencing is disabled (used to be).
Old 11th December 2015, 00:16   #8361
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Call your operator and ask them to enable to call conferencing facility. It should be at no extra charge. By default call conferencing is disabled (used to be).
Hey Thanks! It just didn't cross my mind that it could be operator related. Will call them tomorrow and see if that solves my problem
Old 11th December 2015, 03:45   #8362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Not a gripe against iOS per se since Android does it too, but why is it so difficult to put a mobile data toggle on the notification panel? Seems funny after all the tall claims of providing an 'intuitive' experience.

Mobile data is arguably the most used toggle on a smartphone (given near-universal patchy network coverage and battery tech limitations), but both major OSes (in stock form) need you to dive into settings to toggle it. My silly Android 5.1 phone lets me toggle lesser-used features (Cast Screen, Torch and even Screen Rotation) from the panel, but not mobile data. They must have an exclusive dictionary where intuitive means something else from its regular meaning in common-folk speak.

Bizarre.

About the whole cases & protectors thing, what's the point having a Greek god body if you're going to dress it up to look like the Michelin Man?
I think the idea is your smart phone becomes a dumb phone if you switch off data. There is loads of secondary functionality which will simply not work as advertised if data was to be switched off. A good example is Siri.
Old 11th December 2015, 09:36   #8363
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
My observation :
IPhones are built to last. I cannot imagine a Samsung or HTC lasting >3 years and still feeling as good as new.
Though I prefer the Android interface, I have to completely agree with you here. My HTC One is falling apart in 19 months. The screen, camera & main speaker - all have hardware issues. It was the same with the Samsung Galaxy that I used before this.
Old 11th December 2015, 10:45   #8364
BHPian

Wow, I am amazed that so many people are gaga over an iPhone ! Now before the knives are out- let me declare upfront that I am an iPhone 6 user, with a strong buyer's remorse !

Honestly, I dont inderstand what the fuss is all about and I can't really- from a layman's perspective, say which one I prefer over the other.

When the Nokia/Symbian-era ended, I latched on to Samsung/Android combination. While I honestly "hated" Android at first, the functionality, simplicity, the customizable nature of Android coupled with Samsung's intuitive touchwiz UI began to grow on me and I began loving it.

Yes, some niggles here and there continue unabated, but overall the Android phones of today are pretty much great and stable compared to the previous ones.

Then all of a sudden, I decide to try the other side of the fan following- Apple/iOS. Now honestly, given all the brouhaha surrounding it, I "expect" to be overwhelmed (I certainly did while paying for the iPhone 6), and satisfied with the much much touted iOS functionality, slickness, ease, intuitive interface and how well it integrates with other iDevices.

A month down the line, I feel that while I never "hated" iOS (actually there is no reason to), I am somewhere having that "underwhelming" feeling as I think to myself- is this "THE PHONE" that so many go so crazy about? Is this the device which people have almost given a "demi-God" status? Is this the phone, for which the iFans have fought pitched battles online in various forums against the Fandroids?

I fail to understand (having used both) as to what is it that iOS does that an Android cannot do? I don't understand the actual reason as to why both the Fandroids and the iFans as so much at loggerheads when every new release from the either company is being discussed.

Its just a phone at the end of the day- and I having used both, can't really tell for sure which one is truly better than the other, which effectively means that an Android is value for money, and an iPhone has definitely given me a buyer's remorse because I feel looted & cheated. My $0.02 on it after spending Rs 60K on it. Expect to be killed for saying this
Old 11th December 2015, 11:07   #8365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Though I prefer the Android interface, I have to completely agree with you here. My HTC One is falling apart in 19 months. The screen, camera & main speaker - all have hardware issues. It was the same with the Samsung Galaxy that I used before this.
It's time you try out an Iphone. After experiencing 2 androids that you can see are not robust devices, I suggest you to get an Apple this time. The thing with Apple is that they might not give the best specs on paper but what I have experienced is that these phones are built through proper r&d and that is why we are made to pay a bomb for them. We have 4 iphones in the family, the I5 being the oldest. It is being used by my mom and she is just not a good handler. Even though, not once do I find it lagging in terms of performance. A friend of mine is using a I4 since last ~4-5 years. Same is the scene with him too. Give it a shot, sir.

Regards,
Shreyak.
Old 11th December 2015, 11:22   #8366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
It's time you try out an Iphone. After experiencing 2 androids that you can see are not robust devices, I suggest you to get an Apple this time. The thing with Apple is that they might not give the best specs on paper but what I have experienced is that these phones are built through proper r&d and that is why we are made to pay a bomb for them. We have 4 iphones in the family, the I5 being the oldest. It is being used by my mom and she is just not a good handler. Even though, not once do I find it lagging in terms of performance. A friend of mine is using a I4 since last ~4-5 years. Same is the scene with him too. Give it a shot, sir.

Regards,
Shreyak.
My experience is also somewhat similar. I had a HTC phone which gave up in about a year, and HTC didn't bother to repair it, even after they kept the phone with them for about 15 days. I had to dump the phone. Prior to HTC, I had iPhone 1 gen, which I used for close to 5 years, and that went bad only when it fell into a bucket of water. Soon after HTC experience, I bought iPhone 5c, which went fine for more than a year, and it had a home button issue. Apple, even though the phone was out of warranty, replaced it with a new 5c. I am a happy camper now. I will be getting another iPhone for my wife, which one is yet to be determined. I also have a 2011 MacBook Pro, which till today, runs like a charm.

Yes, Apple hardware is more robust, and with such replacement policies, I will be in the Apple camp for a while.
Old 11th December 2015, 11:55   #8367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanwheels View Post
Wow, I am amazed that so many people are gaga over an iPhone !
The gaga part is about the overall experience. IMO. Especially the customer centric approach. Its not that great in India, i agree, but then there are no true Apple Stores either.

Step into a country with a genuine Apple Store and you will understand the world of difference in experiencing the package.

My case: I bought a 5 in Canada (first day first show ). Mid of this year the battery started to bulge and the screen sort of warped, something like in this thread.

I had relocated to India and the phone was out of the warranty period. So what next?

I got in touch with the local "store". No luck.

I got in touch with the online support and he offered to replace it for free if I can get it to any Store in Canada.

On a visit to Germany, I dropped into a nearby Apple Store. I got a free replacement in 3 days. Yes, they were aware I bought the phone in Canada and that its not in warranty etc. No frowns, all smiles all along.

Can I expect a similar experience with another brand? I'm not sure.

Better of the known devils, I would say...

Last edited by vinjosep : 11th December 2015 at 11:57.
Old 11th December 2015, 12:17   #8368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
The gaga part is about the overall experience. IMO. Especially the customer centric approach. Its not that great in India, i agree, but then there are no true Apple Stores either..
My question is- if it were all so good, why did the battery bulge and screen warp happen? If I am being charged a bomb, then nothing of this sort should happen in the first place. Has NEVER happened with any android phone that I, my friends and family members have personally owned. I rest my case

Last edited by mobike008 : 11th December 2015 at 18:20. Reason: Please dont quote entire post for a short reply. Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 12:26   #8369
BHPian

Apple offers similar support here in India too. My friend's 5c which had a bulging battery got replaced out of warranty, no questions asked.

Even my previous 5 got replaced with a brand new phone because it was eligible for the power button recall. Even that was out of warranty. Apple doesn't repair the phones here. They just replace it with a brand new piece. I don't think any other manufacturer does that. yes, they do charge a premium but the service support more than makes up for it.
Old 11th December 2015, 12:45   #8370
Distinguished - BHPian

When comparing an iPhone with android , compare them with android phones in similar price bracket. It makes no sense to compare iphone 6S with Moto X etc. Take the top line Androids like Moto Force X, Sony Zperia Z5 and compare them. That is when i feel the comparison is legit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks