Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2017, 09:15   #9856
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
She has a Samsung S6 and is happy to take over my S7. Which means i can use the 6s or 7 she gets.
Get the 7; what’s the point in getting an older gen phone when you have the option to get the latest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l
Is 32GB variant sufficient for both? Which one is better considering the user is locked in for next 24 months.
32GB should be good enough. My wife use the 32GB 7S and we found it more than sufficient.

Quote:
I heard some -ve feedback about iPhone 7 in regards to the removal of 3.5mm headphone jack. How good / bad is it to use the only port available for charging as well as listening to music?
How is the GPS on iPhones? I heavily rely on Google maps navigation to get around as i don't own a stand alone navigation unit.
I don’t find it much of an issue. I have a 7 as my office phone and the S7 edge as my personal device; I carry the regular Samsung headset and use the adapter that came along with the iPhone whenever I need to use the headphones with the 7.

Regarding black color – suggest getting the regular black. Jet black is available only on 128GB and above, and I find it very plasticy and scratch-prone.

Quote:
How would i migrate all my contacts / reminders / notes / calender etc from Android to Apple? Are there any specifc apps you guys would suggest?
Why don’t you keep all your contacts and related stuff on your email account (gmail/windows mail). My contacts and calendar are all on my windows mail (hotmail) and synced on both S7 and iPhone. No hassle of syncing and migrating when I change devices.
Old 1st March 2017, 12:00   #9857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
You can set up the same Google account on your iPhone; and then select to sync contacts .
Ya. All my data is well organized on my Google account. Don't know how i missed that. Can always use my google id and get it all across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Get the 7; what’s the point in getting an older gen phone when you have the option to get the latest?
Ya. Makes sense going for most latest available variant. Had a play with a co-workers iPhone 7 and it felt good. Fits well in hand. Would take me a couple of days to get used to it. But should be ok.

He did mention that battery life on 4G isnt the greatest. He gets about 13-14 hrs. And its not even his work number. Means it doesn't get used as much during business hrs.
Old 1st March 2017, 12:14   #9858
BHPian

@h@r$h@l My suggestion would be get a 6s 32GB or 64GB and you could save a lot of money. iPhone 7 was not the greatest of update that iPhone had received until date. Moreover next iteration(10th anniversary) of iPhone might be a worthy upgrade I listen a lot for music and having an extra accessory for headphone jack is hindrance. Moreover you cannot charge and listen to music at the same time . Google maps is very good in iOS
Old 1st March 2017, 12:36   #9859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
@h@r$h@l My suggestion would be get a 6s 32GB or 64GB and you could save a lot of money. iPhone 7 was not the greatest of update that iPhone had received until date. Moreover next iteration(10th anniversary) of iPhone might be a worthy upgrade I listen a lot for music and having an extra accessory for headphone jack is hindrance. Moreover you cannot charge and listen to music at the same time . Google maps is very good in iOS
Hi.

If i were to buy it outright yes the saving was visible. But we are on a mobile plan and i am getting 6s / 7 / Samsung S7 all at same monthly plan and allowance. So i was getting a bit morr confused about which handset to opt for between 6s and 7.

Also 6s i am told is now available in 32 and 128 gb variant only. So on a monthly plan with my mobile service provider weather i opt for 6s 32GB or 7 32GB. I am paying the same.

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 1st March 2017 at 12:37.
Old 1st March 2017, 15:10   #9860
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hi.

If i were to buy it outright yes the saving was visible. But we are on a mobile plan and i am getting 6s / 7 / Samsung S7 all at same monthly plan and allowance. So i was getting a bit morr confused about which handset to opt for between 6s and 7.

Also 6s i am told is now available in 32 and 128 gb variant only. So on a monthly plan with my mobile service provider weather i opt for 6s 32GB or 7 32GB. I am paying the same.
It's a no brainer in that case.

Why are you considering buying the older gen phone when you can get the latest gen for the same money?
Old 1st March 2017, 18:19   #9861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Not a good idea, go for the latest. 5s is positively old. May be a 6/6+.

You could go for PIECE instead of lugging around a secondary iPhone. I've been using it for weeks and it's reliable and works well. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post4138101
Very interesting, but I find this even more interesting. http://www.yerha.com/mobiles/5412-ta...e_mobile_plus_

At which point I am reminded that this is exactly what I meant my 5S to be. In fact I need two phones during the weekdays and only my primary phone during the weekends. Weekdays, am out the whole day and love the redundancy the two phones provide.

Hence, status quo.
Old 1st March 2017, 23:11   #9862
BHPian

Just placed an order for the iPhone 6 from FK. Planning to buy a protective case and tempered glass for the same. Suggestions please. Thanks in advance
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:10   #9863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Just placed an order for the iPhone 6 from FK. Planning to buy a protective case and tempered glass for the same. Suggestions please. Thanks in advance

Get on the stuff cool website and order the pure tuff with one of the case mate covers I suggest. Then don't worry about your phone falling or any of it.
Like cars, safety first, I prebuy accessories as well so that everything's timely delivered.
Old 2nd March 2017, 11:17   #9864
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Past 2 mornings, i'm getting a notification that my iCloud storage is almost full. Now i don't really need anymore photos to be backed up, contacts perhaps. I do not wish to upgrade the plan. What should i do? Avoid the notification?
Old 2nd March 2017, 11:20   #9865
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Past 2 mornings, i'm getting a notification that my iCloud storage is almost full. Now i don't really need anymore photos to be backed up, contacts perhaps. I do not wish to upgrade the plan. What should i do? Avoid the notification?
Ideally move some old pics out and keep in your local storage like a PC or HDD. No other way out, you would need to create some space in iCloud for it to stop bugging you.
Old 2nd March 2017, 11:58   #9866
Senior - BHPian

With a budget of Rs. 30000 which would be the best iPhone to get. Also please point or link me to any good online deals for this. My wife prefers the gold color :(
Old 2nd March 2017, 13:36   #9867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
With a budget of Rs. 30000 which would be the best iPhone to get. Also please point or link me to any good online deals for this. My wife prefers the gold color :(
If the smaller size is not an issue the iPhone SE is the best you can buy within your budget. It is basically a smaller iPhone 6s without 3D Touch. There is also iPhone 6 but I wouldn't recommend it over the SE, the SE throws in an extra gigabyte of RAM, better camera, and a faster processor. The battery life is much better than the 6.

Currently, Amazon seems to have it at the best price available at Rs 28,486.00, you can even opt-in for exchange and get an additional waiver on the price.
Do note this is for 16 GB model, 64 GB model will set you back Rs 8,000 more.

Here's the link : http://www.amazon.in/Apple-iPhone-SE-Gold-16GB/dp/B01DXTSZDI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1488441211&sr=8-6&keywords=iphone+se

Disclaimer: I do not have any commercial interest in either sharing Amazon link or promoting its products.
Old 2nd March 2017, 13:42   #9868
BHPian

Why is it that upon connecting my iPhone to computer, space free in phone is shown at 2 gb but inside phone when i look under storage options it shows only 475mb.

Why the difference?
Old 2nd March 2017, 15:44   #9869
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Why is it that upon connecting my iPhone to computer, space free in phone is shown at 2 gb but inside phone when i look under storage options it shows only 475mb.

Why the difference?
Very unlikely, but are you looking at the right "storage"? There's iCloud storage (5 GB allowance) and then you have iPhone internal storage.

Just checking that you're looking at the same type of storage.
Old 2nd March 2017, 16:08   #9870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
If the smaller size is not an issue the iPhone SE is the best you can buy within your budget. It is basically a smaller iPhone 6s without 3D Touch. There is also iPhone 6 but I wouldn't recommend it over the SE, the SE throws in an extra gigabyte of RAM, better camera, and a faster processor. The battery life is much better than the 6.
Thanks. I wasn't considering the iPhone SE as the ratings on Amazon were not good.
I looked at the specs again and it looks good.
Since this is an upgrade from the 5s , size may not be a deal breaker.

The reason that I am looking to buy, is that the 5s has started misbehaving. Keeps dropping wifi signal, does not keep time and occasionally shuts down when battery is around 20%. It's 3 years old.
I think this is a hardware problem (?Oscillator crystal).
I'll try a wipe and reset this week, but I doubt that will fix the issue.

Most Viewed