Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2017, 14:55   #10006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Thank god I had an impulse and bought insurance when I bought the phone. The damage to my pocket will still be around 6800.

Sigh! So much for the water resistance of the phone! I tweeted to apple as I have just bought the apple watch series 2 and plan to use it for swimming and if it suffers from water damage in any case, I will never go back to apple.
Water damage on an iPhone 7? Wasn't the iPhone 7 supposed to be waterproof? I have seen numerous videos advertising this capability. What sort of water exposure did your iPhone have? Was it more than what apple advertises?
Old 11th April 2017, 15:12   #10007
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

I believe the iPhone 7 is IP67 certified which does not equip it for swimming. This means water splashes or spillage is fine, nothing else.

Its the IP68 certification which may be used for swimming, that too only up to a certain depth/time which comes with the Samsung S7 among other phones.

Cheers
Old 11th April 2017, 16:51   #10008
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I believe the iPhone 7 is IP67 certified which does not equip it for swimming. This means water splashes or spillage is fine, nothing else.

Its the IP68 certification which may be used for swimming, that too only up to a certain depth/time which comes with the Samsung S7 among other phones.

Cheers
IP67 means it can be submerged upto 1m fresh water for upto 30 min. 68 just takes it to 1.5 m

Many people have had such an issue with these so called water resistant phones. Its good to have it, but it doesn't guarantee complete protection even in submerging in shallow water.

In this, if i may ask was there ever any time when you happened to drop your phone? Or anything that could have deformed the phone prior to the water contact?
Old 12th April 2017, 01:07   #10009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Water damage on an iPhone 7? Wasn't the iPhone 7 supposed to be waterproof? I have seen numerous videos advertising this capability. What sort of water exposure did your iPhone have? Was it more than what apple advertises?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
IP67 means it can be submerged upto 1m fresh water for upto 30 min. 68 just takes it to 1.5 m

Many people have had such an issue with these so called water resistant phones. Its good to have it, but it doesn't guarantee complete protection even in submerging in shallow water.

In this, if i may ask was there ever any time when you happened to drop your phone? Or anything that could have deformed the phone prior to the water contact?

The phone does not have a single scratch/deformity in the 5 months that it has been used. The only water exposure it did have was when it used to rest on the washbasin top sometimes which used to be wet sometimes. But it only rested on top of it.

I had expected it to bear at least that much water if not more!

Anyway here is the picture showing water which entered into the phone

The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1491939374.088689.jpg

The water entered just under the taptic engine which is one of the components that failed.

The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1491939428.782933.jpg
Old 12th April 2017, 18:05   #10010
BHPian

Quote:
The water entered just under the taptic engine which is one of the components that failed.
Did you by any chance attach the phone on the ac vent of your car while driving? I recently got a good magnetic stand that holds my 6 plus with ease on bumpy Chennai roads and it hooks into the ac vents. Maybe that condensate could have seeped in. I noticed today that the phone back case was very cold to the touch, quite naturally too..
Old 16th April 2017, 00:11   #10011
Senior - BHPian

For someone who has been using Android phones heavily for the last 5 years, how easy/difficult is it switch to Iphone? Also, how to transfer contacts etc?
I am planning to buy an Iphone or a Google Pixel, need to decide in a few days' time.

Currently the best prices are available at Paytm
Iphone Se 64Gb at 24K
Iphone 6s 32 gb at 37K
Iphone 7 32 gb at 44K
Ihone 7 128 gb at 50K

I think the Iphone 6s does not make sense. Either save money and go for the Se or spend a bit more and get the iphone 7. I have not used a 4" phone since a long time (current one is 5.2", anything bigger is too big for me ) but might be worth getting one considering the awesome hardware, good enough camera and the price.

Suggestions?
Old 16th April 2017, 00:32   #10012

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
For someone who has been using Android phones heavily for the last 5 years, how easy/difficult is it switch to Iphone? Also, how to transfer contacts etc?
I am planning to buy an Iphone or a Google Pixel, need to decide in a few days' time.

Iphone Se 64Gb at 24K
Iphone 6s 32 gb at 37K
Iphone 7 32 gb at 44K
Ihone 7 128 gb at 50K

I think the Iphone 6s does not make sense. Either save money and go for the Se or spend a bit more and get the iphone 7. I have not used a 4" phone since a long time (current one is 5.2", anything bigger is too big for me ) but might be worth getting one considering the awesome hardware, good enough camera and the price.

Suggestions?

Transferring contacts is easy (https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201196)

Using iOS is different from Android in terms of flexibility like file transfers, file access, transferring music, etc.

What I liked in iPhones is awesome UI, no lag, good quality h/w, good look and feel.

Suggest you to try out SE, 6s, 7 at a store to get a feel of the UI and screen size.

I was using an iPhone 5 16GB for almost 3.5 years and now switched to SE 64GB.
Old 16th April 2017, 08:36   #10013
BHPian

anyone experiencing incoming calls not connecting on Iphone 6s Plus. Almost 60% of the calls do not connect. The caller gets a busy tone. To the caller it feels as if we are rejecting the call but there is no missed call in the call log. It has become quite a pain.

Assuming it was a sim error, we changed the airtel sim. But the issue continued. We took it to the service centre where we were told that a recent on the air update caused the called drop. They did a factory reset and updated the software using itunes.

Even after the visit to the service centre the issue persists and is causing a major headache for my dad.

Any ideas
Old 16th April 2017, 08:43   #10014
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

@indian21r, wild guess, check if your do not disturb is on.
Old 16th April 2017, 08:44   #10015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
@indian21r, wild guess, check if your do not disturb is on.
Just read that as a solution online. I will check it once. Thanks for revert
Old 16th April 2017, 16:26   #10016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Did you by any chance attach the phone on the ac vent of your car while driving? I recently got a good magnetic stand that holds my 6 plus with ease on bumpy Chennai roads and it hooks into the ac vents. Maybe that condensate could have seeped in. I noticed today that the phone back case was very cold to the touch, quite naturally too..

Not even that, the phone hasn't been anywhere near an ac vent as well.
Tried raising this point with apple support on twitter, but it kind of fell on deaf ears. The response from Apple support was not very good and hence had no option but to put in an insurance claim for the same.

Have couriered the phone for now, let's see how long does the replacement take.
Old 17th April 2017, 09:20   #10017
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

Iphone Se 64Gb at 24K
Iphone 6s 32 gb at 37K
Iphone 7 32 gb at 44K
Ihone 7 128 gb at 50K

Suggestions?
You can use your Google account to sync contacts. If I remember correctly, I used the same 4 years when I moved to iOS. Regarding the models shortlisted, I would suggest the 7 32GB. I used the iP5 for 3 yrs and now the 5s for >1yr. Slowly, I am finding the screen a tad too small while reading things. So, I would suggest the 6s (7 would be the best) over 5SE. Regarding the size, if you don't use a LOT of apps or store 100s of songs, the 32 GB would be more than sufficient.
Old 17th April 2017, 09:52   #10018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
anyone experiencing incoming calls not connecting on Iphone 6s Plus. Almost 60% of the calls do not connect. The caller gets a busy tone. To the caller it feels as if we are rejecting the call but there is no missed call in the call log. It has become quite a pain.

Assuming it was a sim error, we changed the airtel sim. But the issue continued. We took it to the service centre where we were told that a recent on the air update caused the called drop. They did a factory reset and updated the software using itunes.

Even after the visit to the service centre the issue persists and is causing a major headache for my dad.

Any ideas
This is how iOS behaves when "Do not Disturb" is activated. Please check if the same is enabled by any chance.
Old 17th April 2017, 11:44   #10019
BHPian

Quote:
Tried raising this point with apple support on twitter, but it kind of fell on deaf ears. The response from Apple support was not very good and hence had no option but to put in an insurance claim for the same.

Have couriered the phone for now, let's see how long does the replacement take.
As good as Apple service is here, Apple support is severely lacking in almost all aspects. They do straight up replace stuff that falls within regular warranty coverage, but get out of the coverage in time or technicality, and it is almost like you're facing a tone deaf organisation.

It's possible that you got a lemon as even the iPhone 6 can withstand the little water exposure you've entertained your phone to, but making Apple India see your point of view is a difficult thing. They hide behind a wall of small market share and enjoy customers who will mostly just put up with their crap.

If you do have the time and resources, just get after them with e-mails and even legal consumer notices if possible.
Old 17th April 2017, 16:20   #10020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
As good as Apple service is here, Apple support is severely lacking in almost all aspects. They do straight up replace stuff that falls within regular warranty coverage, but get out of the coverage in time or technicality, and it is almost like you're facing a tone deaf organisation.

It's possible that you got a lemon as even the iPhone 6 can withstand the little water exposure you've entertained your phone to, but making Apple India see your point of view is a difficult thing. They hide behind a wall of small market share and enjoy customers who will mostly just put up with their crap.

If you do have the time and resources, just get after them with e-mails and even legal consumer notices if possible.

I would have done it if I did not have insurance. Since I did, I did not want to keep running after them.

I had another issue with them about the jet black finish coming off from the back of the phone, without any bump or anything since I had used clear coat on the phone since day 1. In that case I did not want a replacement or anything but wanted them to acknowledge that there is this issue with this finish as there are multiple complaints on the net regarding this.

But they did not even acknowledge the same.

The only positive experience I had with their support was when my iCloud stopped working one day and it took Apple 3 months to rectify the issue. I could not backup my phone neither could I turn on the backup from the phone.

Here is the problem that I faced then regarding the paint. Although it was very minute, but it was an imperferction nonetheless ( look at the left of the apple logo)
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-lwiywuio.jpg-large.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks