Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2017, 23:42   #10141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Thanks, can you suggest a good fuel log app?

Ive used "Gas Cubby" for logging fuel. Stopped using it now, out of sheet laziness though. Works pretty well.
Old 17th June 2017, 09:34   #10142
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post

I have no plans to upgrade from 6, I may even go back to Android just for the tons of material available for them. Frankly speaking, there are many areas iPhone is lagging behind Android (comparing a phone like One Plus 3). iPhone 6 camera is a big negative for me, eg. selfie camera is 1.2 MP which is a decade behind Android I have not got a single selfie of mine which can be used as a profile picture anywhere !
IMHO, one should at least get a 6S for a decent iOS experience now. iPhone 6 is pretty much dated and is best suited for minimal usage for the elderlies. I never had issues in connecting multiple devices via Bluetooth on any of my iDevices. In fact I faced multiple issues on my OnePlus 2 which I bought to play around Android.

For photo backup, I am using iCloud. I have a 65 Rs 50GB plan on iCloud and it's integration to the native Photos app is second to none. I was using Google photos before, however found their privacy policies a little too creepy for my liking. With iOS Photos, capturing with iPhone to doing some editing in Photoshop on iPad is pretty much easy.

Regarding Android vs iOS, both platforms are great, but have different core principles.
For someone who is into apple ecosystem, iPhone gives seamless integration experience from iPhone to iPad to Mac to Apple TV, no competition there.

While iOS takes a much more stringent stand on user privacy, Google is rather aggressive in capturing too much data about users and using them for targeting advertisements. It's like being followed by someone all the time. The moment I use my OnePlus 2 to browse some products or investments, I start getting calls from all over India. It's a little too much in my opinion.
Old 17th June 2017, 09:46   #10143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i use ACar on Android and Road Trip on IOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
While iOS takes a much more stringent stand on user privacy, Google is rather aggressive in capturing too much data about users and using them for targeting advertisements. It's like being followed by someone all the time. The moment I use my OnePlus 2 to browse some products or investments, I start getting calls from all over India. It's a little too much in my opinion.
Never faced a problem like this when using Android. I use a Pixel XL and an IP7+ in parallel. Just check your privacy settings.
Old 17th June 2017, 10:28   #10144
BHPian

Quote:
I have been using roadtrip app since last 4 years.
Old 17th June 2017, 13:05   #10145
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
IMHO, one should at least get a 6S for a decent iOS experience now. iPhone 6 is pretty much dated and is best suited for minimal usage for the elderlies. I never had issues in connecting multiple devices via Bluetooth on any of my iDevices. In fact I faced multiple issues on my OnePlus 2 which I bought to play around Android.

For photo backup, I am using iCloud. I have a 65 Rs 50GB plan on iCloud and it's integration to the native Photos app is second to none.

Regarding Android vs iOS, both platforms are great, but have different core principles.
For someone who is into apple ecosystem, iPhone gives seamless integration experience from iPhone to iPad to Mac to Apple TV, no competition there.

While iOS takes a much more stringent stand on user privacy, Google is rather aggressive in capturing too much data about users and using them for targeting advertisements. It's like being followed by someone all the time. .

I have never felt anything lacking with my 6 which I was using until 2 days ago. My new 7 is much the same in many ways except for being way faster, having a better camera and of a much larger capacity. My parents have an iPhone 6 each and they are much happier with the screen size. The Plus though is a bit too uncomfortably large.

I also have that 50GB iCloud plan. And yes everything syncs brilliantly on it! Perfect for me.

I have never used Android and dont think I will either, since I am completely on the Apple eco system.

I dont really like the way Google seems to know everything about one, as an user. I think it is very creepy.

Apple, to me, is all about sleek looks, elegant and functional design and excellent quality. Nothing else comes close.
Old 17th June 2017, 13:30   #10146
BHPian

I need to exchange my mothers' iphone 5s for another 5s due to poor battery life she is experiencing now. I see exchange offer available on both Flipkart and Amazon. Are both official resellers? Or only one of them is official reseller?
Old 17th June 2017, 13:38   #10147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I need to exchange my mothers' iphone 5s for another 5s due to poor battery life she is experiencing now. I see exchange offer available on both Flipkart and Amazon. Are both official resellers? Or only one of them is official reseller?
Better go for a new battery.
It's easy to change 5s's battery.
Old 17th June 2017, 14:06   #10148
BHPian

Any simple way of transferring music from iphone6 (itunes) to Samsung s5 by connecting both to a Mac? I don't have a connector cable handy. And how to transfer contacts too?
Old 17th June 2017, 14:11   #10149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss1307 View Post
Better go for a new battery.
It's easy to change 5s's battery.
The official service center is quoting 9,500 for new battery. With exchange, I can get new phone for 13,450, with warranty. Hence the preference. But I am not sure if regular shops (non authorized) change battery. Need to check.
Old 17th June 2017, 14:18   #10150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Any simple way of transferring music from iphone6 (itunes) to Samsung s5 by connecting both to a Mac? I don't have a connector cable handy. And how to transfer contacts too?
You can use Xender to wirelessly transfer anything you want. Even from a PC or Mac to your phone.
I personally use an application called AirDroid. Makes work wire free. But you have to be connected to the same WiFi network.
Old 17th June 2017, 21:09   #10151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Apple, to me, is all about sleek looks, elegant and functional design and excellent quality. Nothing else comes close.
I dunno how you people live without a back button. It is really hard reaching for the back arrow on the top of the screen. Heck, I have a 4" 5S, and can only imagine how hard it would be in a 4.7 or a 5.5" screen.

ps: I have a iPhone 5S in my left pocket and Nexus 5X in the right.

Last edited by civic-sense : 17th June 2017 at 21:10.
Old 17th June 2017, 21:11   #10152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I dunno how you people live without a back button. It is really hard reaching for the back arrow on the top of the screen. Heck, I have a 4" 5S, and can only imagine how hard it would be in a 4.7 or a 5.5" screen.

ps: I have a iPhone 5S in my left pocket and Nexus 5X in the right.
You get used to it. Also, you can just swipe from the left hand side edge of the screen to go back.
Old 17th June 2017, 21:15   #10153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
You get used to it. Also, you can just swipe from the left hand side edge of the screen to go back.
Maybe am old and my muscles don't flex a lot. And you have to have super-stretchable fingers to reach the top of a 5.5" screen. And the swipe gestures are not available in many apps. It is much easier to use the back button in my Nexus.
Old 18th June 2017, 05:53   #10154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss1307 View Post
You can use Xender to wirelessly transfer anything you want. Even from a PC or Mac to your phone.
I personally use an application called AirDroid. Makes work wire free. But you have to be connected to the same WiFi network.
Thank you. I used samsung Kies and went about a long winded way to transfer music from my iphone. The playlists do not g et transfered and i probably have to do the playlists all over again. Bummer.

I sorely miss a 'Thanks' button here.
Old 18th June 2017, 06:11   #10155
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Maybe am old and my muscles don't flex a lot. And you have to have super-stretchable fingers to reach the top of a 5.5" screen. And the swipe gestures are not available in many apps. It is much easier to use the back button in my Nexus.

Ha ha!

An old and arthritic fella hey?

Well the iPhone 4S I used to love because of its super compact dimensions. Fits comfortably in my palm. Very easy to navigate and type even though I have large sausage-like fingers

Then I moved to the iPhone 6, on which, on account of its bigger screen, I was able to navigate and type more easily. The larger size took a bit of getting used to, from an overall portability standpoint as compared with the 4S.

The iPhone 7 has the same dimensions so no significant changes there. Indeed as we speak I am typing this note on the TBHP App on my iPhone 7.

On account of the new rules on Aircraft these days I was seriously considering an iPhone Plus size thinking that it may help play the role of a tablet, semi-computer and e-reader as well, apart from being light and so on. I am especially displeased about the fact that even innocuous e-readers are part of the ban. Couldnt care less about tablets and laptops because I anyway NEVER open these on a flight. In fact on the last long flight I took I happily checked in my Mac Air packed amongst my
soft shirts and didnt bother with it until I came back home. It apparently seems to have had a cushioned and comfortable ride across half the world so I may very well continue this practice. But I really love my Kindle and will miss it a lot if not allowed to carry it on board a plane.

Hence I was trying to go towards that 'single device' ideal situation. But I decided against it from a sheer overall daily usage portability perspective.

And Yes, even though you may have long and prehensile fingers, it is quite a task sometimes, to be able to cradle the phone in one's palm and type with one's thumb - all the while using only one hand.

I ve kind of trained myself on this now.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 18th June 2017 at 06:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks