Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2017, 13:28   #10036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
How would you know that the screen he put in, is not non-original to begin with?

Technically you paid good money for a 2 year old screen. Interesting tradeoff.

The phone had a valid bill with valid warranty, had been used for 8 months before being sold. Reason for selling was that person was buying a iPhone 6. That guy who sold it to him came in that morning when I was at the shop. Trusted shop, been going to him for a long time he wouldn't cheat a regular
Old 22nd April 2017, 14:36   #10037
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Case suggestion for iPhone SE/5/5S: After trying many cases on iphone SE, I finally found the one I loved the most. Ringke Onyx. Costs between 400 to 600Rs on Amazon, I found this case absolutely perfect that complements and protects the phone. It makes the phone quite grippy, and well protected from all sides, so that we won't have to handle it like a baby.
Old 22nd April 2017, 16:49   #10038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Case suggestion for iPhone SE/5/5S: After trying many cases on iphone SE, I finally found the one I loved the most. Ringke Onyx. Costs between 400 to 600Rs on Amazon, I found this case absolutely perfect that complements and protects the phone. It makes the phone quite grippy, and well protected from all sides, so that we won't have to handle it like a baby.
I'd recommend you go with Spigen. Absolute best in class. Reeks of quality. Perfect cuts and finish and in-hand feel.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 22nd April 2017 at 16:51.
Old 22nd April 2017, 18:25   #10039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
I'd recommend you go with Spigen. Absolute best in class. Reeks of quality. Perfect cuts and finish and in-hand feel.
I'd agree with that since both my IP7+ and Pixel XL are kitted with with Spigen Tough Armor cases. Spigen makes really good cases.
Old 22nd April 2017, 18:54   #10040
Senior - BHPian

I use Speck case for the past 1 year on my iPhone SE. It has had several falls and survived intact. Speck gets my vote.
Old 22nd April 2017, 22:59   #10041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I'd agree with that since both my IP7+ and Pixel XL are kitted with with Spigen Tough Armor cases. Spigen makes really good cases.

I agree too. My iP7+ is also in a Spigen Tough Armor. Looks classy, adds a good layer of protection without being insanely bulky.
Old 23rd April 2017, 20:31   #10042
BHPian

Thank you every one for your suggestions and insights.
I got it fixed yesterday at a cost of Rs. 1500 for a glass replacement and I’ll share the evaluated options with all of you just to give an idea what all can be done in a similar situation.

I began by visiting an Apple service center and they outright rejected the possibility of getting just the display fixed citing the phone has a bend in the body. The price quoted for a complete phone swap was Rs. 24,000. Now this makes absolutely no sense considering a 32GB iPhone 6 is just 27,500 new if bought today.
Moreover I felt this is outright cheating since apple is aware of the inherent design flaw in IPhone 6 that causes it to bend relatively easily. But that’s a story for another day.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/amitcho.../#3f7c3e5c79e6
https://www.macrumors.com/2015/08/10...endgate-video/

I tried my luck at another Apple service center that shared a few more insights.
• A simple display replacement costs Rs. 12,000 +- 500 for an iPhone 6 unit.
• Any device that has a bend in the body is not offered the display replacement. The reason cited for this is that since the device has a bend (no matter how minute), a display replacement will not guarantee a seamless fix which is why they do not do it.
• When I insisted on doing so at my risk, they mentioned that they can forward it to Bangalore where all such hardware repairs happen but they can reject the display replacement at their discretion.
• To add to this, I will still need to pay a Rs. 2000 inspection charge.
• Another thing that they mentioned was that if the service center finds any additional defect while carrying out the display replacement such as a faulty earpiece or component, they will carry out the repairs for that as well and bill them back to me. I do not have the option to reject the additional repairs. It is either all or nothing and I will still end up paying Rs. 2000 in case I don’t want to do it.
• A compete swap is again “just” Rs. 24,000. Amazingly it is the same price for an IPhone 7 as well.

I had almost made up my mind to sell the phone as is when I found out that there is an option to replace just the glass as well.
This goes something like this:
• In earlier smartphones, the actual display(lcd screen) and the digitizer(which captures the touch interaction) were separate components.
• IPhones staring with the IPhone 5(not sure) began using a new touch sensor technology that integrated the digitizer in the actual lcd screen.
• This means that the lcd panel is handling all the touch interaction and the glass on top is just a normal covering.
• Therefore the glass can be replaced without having to change the lcd and at significantly less cost since it is a non-functional dead part.
• All other components are carried over such as the home button, earpiece, camera and other sensors.
• The main advantage I see here other than being a cheap option is that since you are using the same display, you do not need to worry about any degradation in the touch sensitivity or the display quality metrics such as the viewing angles, backlight bleeding etc (to the best of my knowledge).

The following video provides a nice overview:

This seems quite complex in the above video but from what I saw, it was a cakewalk for the guys at the 3rd party repair shop and they even had a small furnace to do the heating and glass fusion.

I'm having some trouble uploading the picture but the end result is exactly as you would expect a phone to look with the display intact and it does not have any of the picture deformations experienced in the above video.

It seems all good as of now. There is a slight lifting at one side which I guess is because of the alleged bend and the glass being a non OEM part but I can live with it considering the cost.
I’ll see how it holds up and update in case there is an issue.
Old 24th April 2017, 10:03   #10043
BHPian

iPhone 7 with 256 gb storage is available at 60k on Flipkart. That's about 20k off. Is this the best price for this combo ?

September is still 5 months away for new iPhone and already, we're getting good discounts. Or is this to counter S8?
Old 24th April 2017, 13:00   #10044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
iPhone 7 with 256 gb storage is available at 60k on Flipkart. That's about 20k off. Is this the best price for this combo ?
Paytm has it for Rs 63,490 with 8500 cashback in paytm wallet.
Old 26th April 2017, 10:36   #10045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post

September is still 5 months away for new iPhone and already, we're getting good discounts. Or is this to counter S8?
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Paytm has it for Rs 63,490 with 8500 cashback in paytm wallet.
As Ritesh mentioned, paytm has the best deal as of now with cashback. Effective price comes to 55k.

I am also planning to buy the same model for my wife.

My wife is using iPhone 6 16gb currently which i planning to sell off. Cashify is offering 14.5k and moswap is offering 16k.

Anybody know other sites to get better resale value?

regards;
Nicky

Last edited by Nicky : 26th April 2017 at 10:37.
Old 28th April 2017, 22:23   #10046
Senior - BHPian

Got an Olloclip Core Lens Set for my iPhone 7 +, today. Initial results are encouraging. Got it directly from Olloclip in the US Cost USD 99.99 + USD 30 (International priority transport). It comes with a Super Wide angle and a Fisheye bundled with a Macro lens. It's very refined and results are good. I'll take it out and post more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-img_1267.jpg  

The iPhone Thread-topaz-dash-board.jpg  

The iPhone Thread-living-room-topaz.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 28th April 2017 at 22:44.
Old 29th April 2017, 12:03   #10047
BHPian

Nice Durango. Iphone user with the new City. My kind of person :-)
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:40   #10048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Nice Durango. Iphone user with the new City. My kind of person :-)
Thank you, Ritesh! Here's one from the Palazzo Cinema's, Chennai, taken yesterday. iPhone 7 +/ Olloclip Wide Angle Lens.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-topaz-1577-copy.jpg  

Old 2nd May 2017, 15:57   #10049
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Funny things happening with the iPhones in my family.

My 6 purchased in the US could not tolerate 0-5 deg C temperatures in Zurich and switched off every time it was used outdoors. Turned on when I was indoors.

My wife's 5s purchased in India continued to work without a problem.

But.. her phone switched off in 37deg C and 75% humidity in Manipal last week! Same thing happened when we were in Konkan a couple of weeks back.

My friend had told me how his 4s switched off during peak Delhi summer but our phones have taken it to the next level!
This has become ridiculous.

While clicking pictures of the horizon (while facing the sun) in 35deg, her 5s switched off again. The back of the phone was noticeably hot.

And then, my father told me his 5s swtiched off in the morning, while sitting in office in Delhi.

Wonder if there's something about 5s; two in two having such an issue is hardly a coincidence. Both of them have a spigen jacket on the back.
Old 2nd May 2017, 16:55   #10050
BHPian

I got new iPhone 7 256GB last Friday. It had yellowish screen as compared to my iPhone 6s screen. I was really disappointed and frustrated.
I searched internet and found this to be an issue with lots of other users as well.
Tried some workarounds. Switching 'invert color' option 3 times on & off did the trick and screen came to normal whitish / bluish color tone just like iPhone 6S.

I am losing faith in apple also just like I lost faith in Samsung devices.

Last edited by Zappo : 3rd May 2017 at 17:06. Reason: Typos corrected

Most Viewed