Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2010, 12:24   #2356
Team-BHP Support

iPhone 4 coming to India soon?

Exclusive : Airtel microSIM card in India with Pics

Atleast the microsim is making its appearance.
Old 24th September 2010, 16:15   #2357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
R2D2, Please find my statements in BOLD below

Bottomline, as told by ATT representative, Wait till November and problem will be fixed. OR, Wait till May/June 2011 for updated version.
If you do get your hands on the post November '10 version please do share your experiences.

Rgds,
Old 24th September 2010, 17:18   #2358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
If you do get your hands on the post November '10 version please do share your experiences.

Rgds,
Technically, those should be in stores from next month, but i am gonna pick one at the end of Oct or first week of Nov. I would definite share my experience.

What i think might happen is, quietly, without telling anyone, apple will start shipping improved iphones with the antenna problem fixed to the stores. Since there won't be any drop calls and very less or no bars going down, people will stop complaining and thus goodwill of apple will be maintained. And then there are plenty of Apple fanboys they can rely on for word of mouth publicity
Old 24th September 2010, 17:29   #2359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
iPhone 4 coming to India soon?

Exclusive : Airtel microSIM card in India with Pics

Atleast the microsim is making its appearance.
yes jaggu, this sure is a sign of iphone 4 coming to india. I do feel ipad too is round the corner for india. Only question is, How much of the Indian crowd can it attract ?
Old 24th September 2010, 22:52   #2360
BHPian

A friend of mine bought an iphone4, it doesn't seem to have any problem in the 2 weeks he's had it. I'm considering getting one myself, just not too sure because of the antenna issue.
Old 29th September 2010, 09:48   #2361
BHPian

Advice

People planning to buy the Iphone 4 would be better of waiting till November 2010.

On an average there are more people with reception problems than ones without.

Why do you want to plunk so much money on a phone with known issues?

Now dont start flaming. I am no techie but am sure a phone FREAK.

Phones owned in the past:
Motorola Startek
Nokia 3300
MotoraZr V3
O2(bought 2nd hand Dubai)
HTC Advantage also call Shift- My worst phone decision. It is now my paperweight(Expensive one, I bricked it)
HTC Touch
HTC Diamond
HTC Touch Pro-My best phone before the Iphone
LG Cookie
Iphone 3G
Now E72(Highly overrated)- Stopgap waiting for new Iphone
Old 29th September 2010, 23:19   #2362

Have you guys seen this uber cool thing yet???

It says that it can convert an ipod touch (any generation) to an iphone, also it is compatible with iOS 4.so that is soo cool.Here is the link:-
Yosian Apple Peel coming to U.S.
Old 4th October 2010, 18:55   #2363
Senior - BHPian

Hey iPhone guys, well you might be wondering what am I doing here ;-) . Actually one of my friend wants to buy an iPhone 4 in US and now I've given task to find out if a iphone 4 bought in US can be easily unlocked/jailbreaked to be used in India. Is it just an easy firmware upgrade or it needs some technical expertise? What will happen if there is a new firmware upgrade comes from Apple? Will it get locked again? Is there any drawback of using an unlocked phone other than the loss of warranty?
Old 4th October 2010, 19:18   #2364
Team-BHP Support

If you buy now, you will have to wait for unlock to come since it will already have latest firmware loaded. If you find a piece with older firmware you can unlock it. Process is simple and anybody with basic computer knowledge can manage it, but everytime apple launches a new firmware version one has to wait for developers to come out with JB and unlock. One always has the option to say NO to upgrade, so it will not automatically get locked, though if you accidentally click update then you will be stuck.

Better buy a handset from UK, Hongkong or Singapore where officially unlocked handset is available.
Old 4th October 2010, 19:53   #2365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
People planning to buy the Iphone 4 would be better of waiting till November 2010.

On an average there are more people with reception problems than ones without.

Why do you want to plunk so much money on a phone with known issues?

Now dont start flaming. I am no techie but am sure a phone FREAK.

My iPhone bought in Singapore doesn't have signal issues. Even if did, it's not a big deal because we usually put a bumper or case that will take care of it.

Waiting for my Otterbox to arrive. It is available for around $30 in eBay.

By the way, new unlocked iPhone 4 can be bought from eBay India for Rs. 37,900.
Old 4th October 2010, 20:47   #2366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikat View Post
My iPhone bought in Singapore doesn't have signal issues. Even if did, it's not a big deal because we usually put a bumper or case that will take care of it.

Waiting for my Otterbox Defender to arrive. It is available for around $30 in eBay.

By the way, new unlocked iPhone 4 can be bought from eBay India for Rs 37,900.
I have a factory unlocked IP4 and luckily have not faced call drop issues so far...I love the phone. Sometimes I feel the antenna issue is not applicable to all handsets but only some, though they may be a significant number.

Having used Otterbox before I purchased an OB Defender again for the IP4. It's the best but adds considerable bulk to the phone. I don't mind as the OB Defender is the best protective case one can get. I bought it at their website for $60..I stay away from ebay.

I've been looking at Apple fanboy sites and Apple's as well. Apple doesn't seem to have released any 'new and improved' version of the iphone yet.

Last edited by R2D2 : 4th October 2010 at 20:48.
Old 4th October 2010, 21:08   #2367
Senior - BHPian

Now have 2 Iphone 4's in the family (Mom n Dad) ... no signal / call drop issues
Old 4th October 2010, 23:12   #2368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If you buy now, you will have to wait for unlock to come since it will already have latest firmware loaded. If you find a piece with older firmware you can unlock it. Process is simple and anybody with basic computer knowledge can manage it, but everytime apple launches a new firmware version one has to wait for developers to come out with JB and unlock. One always has the option to say NO to upgrade, so it will not automatically get locked, though if you accidentally click update then you will be stuck.

Better buy a handset from UK, Hongkong or Singapore where officially unlocked handset is available.
He is in US so he wants to get the phone there. Even if it;s the latest firmware there will be jailbreak software available for that soon, am I right? May be around another month or so? Or it might not be a good idea at all to get a latest firmware iPhone?
Old 4th October 2010, 23:38   #2369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
He is in US so he wants to get the phone there. Even if it;s the latest firmware there will be jailbreak software available for that soon, am I right? May be around another month or so? Or it might not be a good idea at all to get a latest firmware iPhone?

Do you know that iPhone in the US come with a 2 year AT&T contract? Not worth the hassle of jaibreaks etc IMO. Just source it from other countries where they sell it unlocked/SIM Free.
Old 5th October 2010, 18:41   #2370
Team-BHP Support

Yes unlock should be out soon, but yes its a hazzle to procure one at the discounted price through AT&T.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks