Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2010, 00:34   #2491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1008 View Post
FYI the Iphones 4 sold in Canada are unlocked
I am not sure if you are saying this to me but I know iPhone 4 sold in Canada through Apple retail stores are unlocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
How To Jailbreak Your iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS or iPhone 3G Using PwnageTool (iOS 4.1) - iPhone Hacks

My friend has a 3GS and it came with 3.1.2. She was on AT&T back home, she just jailbroke and unlocked it and she's on Airtel now. Im gonna update her phone without updating the baseband...thats what pwnage tool is about.
Thats good to know if you can update 3GS without updating baseband. Thanks for the link and info.
Old 7th November 2010, 13:58   #2492
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Question. Maybe a super dumb question. If I get an iPhone 4 from the USA, will it work in India ?
Yup it can be made to work with software unlock and cutting the sim to micro sim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
How To Jailbreak Your iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS or iPhone 3G Using PwnageTool (iOS 4.1) - iPhone Hacks

My friend has a 3GS and it came with 3.1.2. She was on AT&T back home, she just jailbroke and unlocked it and she's on Airtel now. Im gonna update her phone without updating the baseband...thats what pwnage tool is about.
Be very careful and ensure each step 2 times, coz 1 mistake and you will be stuck. I have a friends phone which was accidentally given wrong update and no luck unlocking after spending 3 whole nights trying to
Old 8th November 2010, 12:56   #2493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
I am not sure if you are saying this to me but I know iPhone 4 sold in Canada through Apple retail stores are unlocked!
I was quoted $599 plus tax for unlocked Iphone 4 16gb in Apple Retail Stores in Sacramento, CA and Apple Shop in Union Square, San Francisco which is one of the biggest stores in USA.

$100 for 32gb. In some ATT stores too they give it, but most of the time they deny as they want to sell it as a contract phone.
Old 8th November 2010, 13:18   #2494
Team-BHP Support

Are you sure its unlocked? I think its without contract but still locked to AT&T.
Old 8th November 2010, 13:27   #2495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Are you sure its unlocked? I think its without contract but still locked to AT&T.
I asked the sales guy if they sell unlocked iphone 4. He said yes. I asked if he is sure its not in contract with ATT and that i can use it with any carrier. He said yes.

Even if its not unlocked, it easy. Buy the phone, install sim from ATT, call the customer service and tell them of going out of country to India or Europe for business trip and they will happily provide unlock code. Worked great for me with 3GS and other phones.

Works either way. Around Nov 16th, i am going to buy either the unlocked or contract iphone 4, at that time i will confirm again.
Old 9th November 2010, 17:32   #2496
BHPian

Need your suggestion

Hi All,

My Friend is landing to india from singapore next month. I have asked him to buy a iphone 4 32 gb device for me.

I hear from this forum that there are no unlocks available for os 4.1. is it true. my friend has informed that he will buy unlocked phone. please let me know whether it will be a good buy.

Also how difficult is it to convert the sim to micro sim.
also will i be able to access all the apps in the iphone. some say its specific to one country. please help me with your suggestions as soon as possible.

thanks.
Old 10th November 2010, 10:32   #2497
BHPian

I have an iPhone 2 g unlocked and jailbroken on 3.1.3. Which us the latest version I can upgrade to and software unlock? And how? Please give me detail as i am new to iPhone unlocking.
Old 10th November 2010, 10:40   #2498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
I have an iPhone 2 g unlocked and jailbroken on 3.1.3. Which us the latest version I can upgrade to and software unlock? And how? Please give me detail as i am new to iPhone unlocking.
iPhone 2G doesn't support iOS4. You are at the highest version it can take (3.1.3)
Old 10th November 2010, 11:26   #2499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
Hi All,

My Friend is landing to india from singapore next month. I have asked him to buy a iphone 4 32 gb device for me.

I hear from this forum that there are no unlocks available for os 4.1. is it true. my friend has informed that he will buy unlocked phone. please let me know whether it will be a good buy.

Also how difficult is it to convert the sim to micro sim.
also will i be able to access all the apps in the iphone. some say its specific to one country. please help me with your suggestions as soon as possible.

thanks.

Hi All,
please let me know the suggestions and recommendations please.
Old 10th November 2010, 11:44   #2500
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
Vodafone already has micro sims. If you are on another provider, all you have to do is cut the sim card. I have done it for the iPad, no sweat.

Works perfectly in India. You need to have a credit card and a computer which runs iTunes, then your experience will be great. Get an iTunes store account with these and you are set. Buy a factory unlocked iPhone (available in HK for sure, I think Singapore too now)

ppr
Old 10th November 2010, 11:49   #2501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
Vodafone already has micro sims. If you are on another provider, all you have to do is cut the sim card. I have done it for the iPad, no sweat.

Works perfectly in India. You need to have a credit card and a computer which runs iTunes, then your experience will be great. Get an iTunes store account with these and you are set. Buy a factory unlocked iPhone (available in HK for sure, I think Singapore too now)

ppr
thanks for the reply ppr. So you mean to say anything and everything i download from Iphone will cost me. whats an avg cost. if you dont mind can you put some more light on this. this is the first time i'm using apple product. just wanted to be sure on how it works before my friend gets the product for me.
Old 10th November 2010, 11:50   #2502
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
Apps are country specific. But most apps are the same in all countries. There may be one percent of apps unavailable to non US store customers. It will hardly matter to you. You can always get hold of a friend / relative with a US billing credit card if you feel the need for any of those apps.

Of course, the music, TV shows and Movies for download are not available (as yet) on the Indian iTunes store! Quite a silly policy by the record companies and film studios, because it just encourages piracy. But then that is what they seem to prefer.

ppr
Old 10th November 2010, 11:52   #2503
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I asked the sales guy if they sell unlocked iphone 4. He said yes. I asked if he is sure its not in contract with ATT and that i can use it with any carrier. He said yes.

Even if its not unlocked, it easy. Buy the phone, install sim from ATT, call the customer service and tell them of going out of country to India or Europe for business trip and they will happily provide unlock code. Worked great for me with 3GS and other phones.

Works either way. Around Nov 16th, i am going to buy either the unlocked or contract iphone 4, at that time i will confirm again.
Are you sure this works for phones out of contract? I thought AT&T does not give you an unlock code for the iPhone?

ppr
Old 10th November 2010, 12:18   #2504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
Are you sure this works for phones out of contract? I thought AT&T does not give you an unlock code for the iPhone?

ppr
Yes my friend in singapore is using unlocked phone for 4 months now. he says no problem what so ever. when i enquired he said there are phones factory unlocked also. so he is getting one piece for me. however if itunes doesnt allow user to use its features for unlocked phone. is it not waste of money.

how much does avg downloading of apps cost. can you shed more light on this pl.
Old 10th November 2010, 12:28   #2505
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Yes my friend in singapore is using unlocked phone for 4 months now. he says no problem what so ever. when i enquired he said there are phones factory unlocked also. so he is getting one piece for me. however if itunes doesnt allow user to use its features for unlocked phone. is it not waste of money.

how much does avg downloading of apps cost. can you shed more light on this pl.
I was asking chevelle about a US iPhone, not the Singapore one.

The iTunes store is not mainly for the phone. The music and movie / TV serial store is mainly for use on the computers or on your HT set up. The App store is primarily for the phone and this works very well in India. Like I said, 99% of the apps are common. There are a few apps which can be purchased only on the US iTunes store such as apps relating to restaurants in the US or those relating to move tickets in the US. These are not really useful for Indian users. Almost all the other apps are common to the Indian and US stores.

I would like to give a bit of advice. Do not buy the iPhone if you do not want to have an internet connection through your phone. It defeats the purpose of having such phone (this goes for phones with Android or Blackberries as well) Also an iTunes store account is a must. Without using the app store, you might as well use a Nokia or a Sony Ericsson and save yourself some money.

On the other hand, with a GPRS / 3G connection and judicious use of the app store, this is the best phone money can buy. You will never be able to go back to the dark side that is Symbian.

Most Apps are free (about 70%). But you still need a credit card to "buy" them although it will not be charged. The other Apps cost between 99 c (Rs 45 approx) to $9.99 (Rs 450). Most are at the lower end ie Rs 45.

Last edited by ppr : 10th November 2010 at 12:31.

Most Viewed