Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2012, 22:44   #3991
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

um.. guys i recently (late Nov) crossed over to the dark side and got myself a iPhone 4. now, everything has been working fine but recently started seeing some weird stuff like:
- the sounds of the phone (notifications) fizzle out in the middle. the sound starts fine, but midway it sounds like that fizz sound when a soda bottle is opened.
- the Home button sometimes becomes unresponsive. this happens randomly.
- the Power button sometimes doesn't respond and i've to hold it down for some time to get it to respond.

are these regular niggles of an iPhone 4 or something one needs to learn to live with?
Old 25th January 2012, 03:13   #3992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
um.. guys i recently (late Nov) crossed over to the dark side and got myself a iPhone 4. now, everything has been working fine but recently started seeing some weird stuff like:
- the sounds of the phone (notifications) fizzle out in the middle. the sound starts fine, but midway it sounds like that fizz sound when a soda bottle is opened.
- the Power button sometimes doesn't respond and i've to hold it down for some time to get it to respond.

are these regular niggles of an iPhone 4 or something one needs to learn to live with?
The sound could easily be the OSs' fault, so follow the standard protocol of fresh firmware install, i.e., iOS 5.0.1

After that if the problems still occur,
Assuming its new, get it replaced if it is still in the warranty period, as Apple tends to replace not repair.
If the phone was bought from abroad, try and send it back to Apple. Call that country's helpline, see if they will accept it as courier and ship it back at your cost.

If its out of warranty and thus old, last resort is to go to an phone repair shop, eg. Gaffar Market in Delhi (only if you know someone there). Please do ask around for the repair shops in other cities.
Old 25th January 2012, 10:44   #3993
Senior - BHPian

Actually I upgraded to iOS 5.0.1 immediately after purchase. And yes, the phone is under warranty; bought it just two months back.
Old 25th January 2012, 18:29   #3994
BHPian

Try a fresh restore, i.e., download the restore file from the internet.
I have seen a couple of cases where that has helped.

Else availing warranty is the only choice you have left. Sorry mate.
Old 25th January 2012, 19:35   #3995
BHPian

Quote:

@IronH4WK -- #2 and #3 should occur after prolonged use. I have been using iPhone4 for a year and a half. Only recently have I started facing these 2 issues, though randomly. A few of my friends have also reported issues with the physical buttons after long use.

Never #1 though. Can you record the sounds and post here?
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 20:06   #3996
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, even I have updated my iOS to 5xx, and I'm facing the same issue. Not regularly, but occasionally.

I have put the ~glass sound for message, and its funny to hear it fizz out.

Please do update if you find something useful in this regard.

- Dhanush
Old 25th January 2012, 20:18   #3997
BHPian

Any one with a iPhone 4S which has the triple/constant beep issue?

When ever i turn on the vibration on the phone - The notifications keep beeping (Like Trrrrr---Tritone alert--Trrrr)

I called up Apple care and they hung up 6 times after i finish saying the issue. I am not finding time to take it to a service centre..

Found some threads on Apple communities, But nothing seems to work.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Any suggestions would be of help.

EDIT: I'm on iOS 5.0.1

Last edited by MadBiker : 25th January 2012 at 20:22.
Old 25th January 2012, 21:03   #3998
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker
Any one with a iPhone 4S which has the triple/constant beep issue?

When ever i turn on the vibration on the phone - The notifications keep beeping (Like Trrrrr---Tritone alert--Trrrr)

I called up Apple care and they hung up 6 times after i finish saying the issue. I am not finding time to take it to a service centre..

Found some threads on Apple communities, But nothing seems to work.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Any suggestions would be of help.

EDIT: I'm on iOS 5.0.1
My 4s does not do it but a 3gs in my house on 5.0.1 does have this issue. Its really annoying. Trrr-trrr-trrriing-trrr-trrr-tring, long sound like this. It lasts easily for around 2 secs. Guess they will rectify this issue once 5.1 comes out.
Old 25th January 2012, 22:20   #3999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101

My 4s does not do it but a 3gs in my house on 5.0.1 does have this issue. Its really annoying. Trrr-trrr-trrriing-trrr-trrr-tring, long sound like this. It lasts easily for around 2 secs. Guess they will rectify this issue once 5.1 comes out.
I have a 3GS running iOS 5.0.1 and have not faced the issue mentioned above. This could be problem with some phones only.
Old 25th January 2012, 22:29   #4000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This one is VERY regular. Here's the weird thing (atleast with my iphone 4):

The home button was unresponsive for about 2 months! Now it's back to functioning normally! It was like a passing phase! Maybe I have a moody iphone
Old 26th January 2012, 00:43   #4001
Senior - BHPian

The home button unresponsive behavior has occurred once on my iPad 2, I even took it to the Apple Store but like it is with stuff like this, the damn thing behaved well there

Yes the iPad 2 is on ios 5.0.1

So the problem got resolved on its own

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th January 2012 at 00:44.
Old 26th January 2012, 00:59   #4002
BHPian

My iPhone 4 is showing the non responsive behavior on pressing the home button since I upgraded to iOS 5. I freed up some space but this didn't help. Don't have this issue on my iPad 1 though.
Old 26th January 2012, 01:11   #4003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
My iPhone 4 is showing the non responsive behavior on pressing the home button since I upgraded to iOS 5. I freed up some space but this didn't help. Don't have this issue on my iPad 1 though.
I've noticed freezing issues on iOS5, but most of them were fixed on 5.0.1 - are you on 5.0.1?
Old 26th January 2012, 01:19   #4004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz

I've noticed freezing issues on iOS5, but most of them were fixed on 5.0.1 - are you on 5.0.1?
Yes version 5.0.1 (9A405). Not checked with my wife though. She has the same phone and OS version.
Old 26th January 2012, 05:25   #4005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy

Yes version 5.0.1 (9A405). Not checked with my wife though. She has the same phone and OS version.

There should be no freezing at all, doesn't matter what version of iOS the phone is running.
Either OS was corrupted during installation which is very rare, or it's a hardware problem which is more common than most apple owners believe.

Most Viewed