Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 11:02   #3901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punzabi

You are true in saying that but in my case its genuine-non jailbroken-factory unlocked-iphone updated in its home network (Australia, that is). If you check apple forum, you'll see a whole heap of other genuine users affected by buggy iOS5 and apple is keeping mum on it. Its just the developers/advanced users helping each other even on apple's forum and no tech soppurt from apple what-so-ever.
I did face the long delayed excruciating slow update myself and as I was an early adapter I was timed out on many counts. I would like you to try the process again with one of your phones. Reset it to the original using your PC backup. Also something that helped me was I downloaded the software independent of the install routine. I am sure you will have 4S soon to accompany you so that you can start doing R&D on the older chap.

I am PC free for past 6 months and I am loving it. It sometimes gives me jitters and an IT nerd I am used to clean/filter/backup my data but the iPad/iPhone/iPod does it automatically so lack of control is something I am getting used to
Old 14th December 2011, 13:48   #3902
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r

Yours must be unlocked Indian buy. People who got jail broken iPhones from US or elsewhere have difficulty as every iteration of iOS brings the phone back to its country specific software, in the many case back to locked AT&T settings the situation is bad as till date the jailbreak for version 5 hasn't arrived.
Yes my 2 sets are factory unlocked indian sets bought from an apple premium reseller.
Old 14th December 2011, 19:54   #3903
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
The untethered jailbreak for iOS 5 for iPhone 3GS is out.
Hey, thanks a lot for the info. Can you please provide me the link to the news.
Old 14th December 2011, 22:02   #3904
BHPian

Yes please provide the link, for my Iphone 4
Need guidance to unlock my old 3G, I made the mistake of restoring the software before processing it through my mac, now its does not accept the processed 3.1.3, i have heard, for iphone 3g there's a mini sim card dongle which unlocks the device, is that true? If so where in hyderabad can I get that? i don't have the back up as i now use 4. Any suggestions?
Old 14th December 2011, 22:33   #3905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeemmee
Yes please provide the link, for my Iphone 4
Need guidance to unlock my old 3G, I made the mistake of restoring the software before processing it through my mac, now its does not accept the processed 3.1.3, i have heard, for iphone 3g there's a mini sim card dongle which unlocks the device, is that true? If so where in hyderabad can I get that? i don't have the back up as i now use 4. Any suggestions?
What is the baseband ? If its unlockable then you can download 4.2.1 and sn0wbreeze from the net. Then use sn0wbreeze to preserve the baseband and jailbreak the phone. If its non unlockable then use redsn0w to upgrade the iphone baseband to ipad baseband to jailbreak. Once its jailbrolen use ultras0w to unlockable. Note the there are some risks in upgrading to ipad baseband like GPS may not work (in some cases). Hope this helps.
Old 15th December 2011, 07:33   #3906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
The untethered jailbreak for iOS 5 for iPhone 3GS is out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
Hey, thanks a lot for the info. Can you please provide me the link to the news.

Guys,

Untethered JB on iOS5 is "Semi" untethered not complete.Which means, after jailbreak if you ever have to reboot your iphone you'd need to have it connected to redsnow on your laptop/pc/mac. In case if you reboot your iphone without the help from redsnow, most of the phone features won't work i.e. basic phone and text features will be available but not game play or music. Below link will clarify your doubt + giude you on how to JB.

iClarified - iPhone - How to Perform a Semi Tethered Jailbreak of iOS 5

MODS: Not sure if links to JB are allowed on the forum. If not, please remove at your will.
Old 15th December 2011, 15:33   #3907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrtz125 View Post
What is the baseband ? If its unlockable then you can download 4.2.1 and sn0wbreeze from the net. Then use sn0wbreeze to preserve the baseband and jailbreak the phone. If its non unlockable then use redsn0w to upgrade the iphone baseband to ipad baseband to jailbreak. Once its jailbrolen use ultras0w to unlockable. Note the there are some risks in upgrading to ipad baseband like GPS may not work (in some cases). Hope this helps.
My current baseband is 3.1.3.I intend to install 3.1.3 on old iphone 3g, Cause 4.2.1 I fear might slow it down.or does gets slow?
Old 16th December 2011, 07:47   #3908
BHPian

Just had my shiny new iphone 4S black (32gb) delivered at my office half an hour ago after a never ending wait of 4 weeks. Woohooo!! Just finished setting it up whilst sitting in the office (luckily brought my home laptop with me). Liking it already. Didn't get a chance to play around with Siri in the absence of wi-fi + my sim is not activated yet so cant use 3G either (I pretty much know it won't be much of a fun but will give it a crack anyway and ask her stupid questions, see if she can answere ). Furtunatly there are no yellow patches/areas on the screen as some have experienced but I do confirm the display is not as bright as on my 3gs even on 100%. 3gs feels more on bluish hue and on 4S its more dullish (some say pale-ish, to each their own I guess) but not a let down as it doesn't feel harsh on eyes. After using 3GS for nearly two years I can feel retina display is crisp clear. My 3gs was feeling sluggish after updating to iOS5 (game play was getting jittery) but 4S doesn't feel stressed out or running out of juice. I am an angry birds addict and on 4S with iOS5 on its butter smooth. Absolutly loving it.

Last edited by Punzabi : 16th December 2011 at 07:49.
Old 19th December 2011, 13:48   #3909
BHPian

Let us know when u start tinkering with jailbreak ios5 (untethered), have been waiting for that for ages! :(
Old 19th December 2011, 15:45   #3910
BHPian

Loving my newly acquired 4s white 16gig.Earlier did not understand why these phones are so costly but after using it for a week everyone in my household is looking at apple products with new respect and can foresee a macbook and an ipad 3(whenever it gets launched) coming to my household.Apples are the mans best friend(recommended by Doctors) and i can see why......(these products are addictive).
Old 19th December 2011, 15:56   #3911
BHPian

Got myself Iphone 4s 16gb White from Ebay with Apple India warranty. Its just plain awesome. Side by side compared to a friend's Iphone 4s black, the black's screen has a strange yellow effect, whereas my white has same cool white bright light that was present in earlier iphone 4. Wonder if he has got a lemon or its same with all black Iphone 4s's.
Old 19th December 2011, 16:12   #3912
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iPhone 4S announced, no sign of 5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeemmee View Post
My current baseband is 3.1.3.I intend to install 3.1.3 on old iphone 3g, Cause 4.2.1 I fear might slow it down.or does gets slow?
3.1.3 or 4.2.1 is the iOS version not the baseband. To know the baseband go to Settings-> General -> About. Baseband is your Modem Firmware. Check the Since you mentioned current iOS version is 3.1.3, it should be easily unlockable with the process I mentioned. My iPhone 3G did not slow down after upgrading it to 4.2.1 (used custom firmware through sn0breeze to upgrade). However if you have large amount of data and photos on the phone, it might be slow. After all its just a 400 MHz processor. For more details check site like iphoneheat or redmondpie.
Old 19th December 2011, 16:54   #3913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post
Got myself Iphone 4s 16gb White from Ebay with Apple India warranty. Its just plain awesome. Side by side compared to a friend's Iphone 4s black, the black's screen has a strange yellow effect, whereas my white has same cool white bright light that was present in earlier iphone 4. Wonder if he has got a lemon or its same with all black Iphone 4s's.
You got it from Ebay India ? how much did you pay for it ? You could have bought it from Apple store too right ? Just curious
Old 19th December 2011, 19:00   #3914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
You got it from Ebay India ? how much did you pay for it ? You could have bought it from Apple store too right ? Just curious
Yes, I could have done so.

But I got a deal for 43900 and had a 1000 off coupon, it came out at 42900. No one was offering such a price. It was sealed pack, delivered in 2 days, with VAT bill.
Old 23rd December 2011, 22:16   #3915
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know if the Verizon iPhone 4 would work in India? Is there any CDMA service provider with support for Verizon iPhone 4?

Most Viewed