Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 14:33   #3151
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread: iPhone 4 launch 27 May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Am certain - iPhone 5 will be launched this June!

Else it would not have been launched in India with such fanfare.

OT : Was wanting to buy MBP 13" - some 69k INR, wonder if I should wait for June to see what they are coming out with
Definitely not worth the wait. Very unlikely that it will be launched in June, iOS 5 might come out though. Also next update of the device is not going to be very exciting. Instead buy the MBP, my suggestion.
Old 27th May 2011, 14:57   #3152
BHPian

Quote:
That is hard to believe. Why does Apple not sell the phone directly in that case? If its unlocked, why have Airtel/Aircel in the picture?
+1 to that

Checked with Aircel Store in Pune. They say phone is locked and cannot be used with any other service provider. Also asked them about service backup in case something goes wrong with the phone. They went blank !!
Old 27th May 2011, 14:57   #3153
Senior - BHPian

@Jaggu

To be honest, i have a feeling Apple is trying to get rid of the unsold 4g's in India. So the june launch could be in cards. Only that India may get after Novermber or even 2012.
Old 27th May 2011, 15:09   #3154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Jaggu

To be honest, i have a feeling Apple is trying to get rid of the unsold 4g's in India. So the june launch could be in cards. Only that India may get after Novermber or even 2012.
There are many sites which tracks apples every move, am quoting from the info from them. How much of sales will happen in India? 10k? Might not really help them, even now production is very optimized and at many places shortage is there.

Strong rumors is of iOS 5 announcement by june, roll out by sept. Then mild ones about an iPhone 4S with better processor and camera, relocated camera

Rest of the radical changes only by next year, along with an iPad 3
Old 27th May 2011, 15:26   #3155
BHPian

^^ The number of grey market & US unlocked iphones easily outsell the "official" iphones in India. I don't think Apple is really trying to "get rid" of unsold iphones in India.
Frankly speaking : I don't think apple even cares how many iphones are sold in India through the "official" channel. They know iphones will make way to our shores in any case !! I guess the only reason they launch it in India is to have a tick mark on the list of countries covered.
Old 27th May 2011, 15:41   #3156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
+1 to that

Checked with Aircel Store in Pune. They say phone is locked and cannot be used with any other service provider. Also asked them about service backup in case something goes wrong with the phone. They went blank !!
Service backup should be provided by the operator if they sell the phone. Warranty issues I guess will be dealt with directly by Apple now that the phone is officially launched. All Apple products come with 1 yr Int'l warranty.
Old 27th May 2011, 16:10   #3157
BHPian

Rumor is, iOS5 wouldnt support the 3GS. And in todays Hindu, Aircel has announced, iPhone4 will be available at their stores and other retail outlets. But no mention of this in the Airtel ad.

Moreover, the Aircel plan are attractive. Head here for a analysis.
Aircel iPhone 4 Plans in India – Complete Analysis | MyGadgetPlanet
Old 28th May 2011, 10:56   #3158
BHPian

Rumours about new features in iOS 5:

4 Hot Features Rumored for iOS 5 and iPhone 4S at WWDC That Will Make You Want to Give iPhones a Second Look
Old 28th May 2011, 11:33   #3159
BHPian

Guys,

I use a jailbroken unlocked iphone 3GS running on 3.1.2 and baseband 05.11.07. I am tempted to update the firmware to 4.2.1 however I read on most places that it is not advisable to push the 3GS firmware beyond 3.1.3

Has anybody here faced problems with their 3GS running on OS 4.x.x ?
Old 28th May 2011, 12:21   #3160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Guys,

I use a jailbroken unlocked iphone 3GS running on 3.1.2 and baseband 05.11.07. I am tempted to update the firmware to 4.2.1 however I read on most places that it is not advisable to push the 3GS firmware beyond 3.1.3

Has anybody here faced problems with their 3GS running on OS 4.x.x ?
Officially Apple supports iOS 4.x.x even on the 3GS, so you should be fine. However, couple of 3GS users I know have reported marginal sluggishness with 4.x.x. For normal operations, you might not even feel it.
Old 28th May 2011, 15:11   #3161
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread !!! Update: iOS 4.3.3 out !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
101% True 3G with push off should give minimum 2 days. Move to OS 3.2.1 (iirc google check please) which is the most bug free for 3G processor. I used to get 2 days easily on my 3G when i sold it after 2 years of use, was running 4.1.x only issue was the lag thanks to heavy OS.
I have deactivated my emails on my iPhone 3GS and the battery level is now almost equal to my BB Bold 3. My Bold 3 lasts for full 2 days with regular calls and emailing. My iPhone 3GS now lasts for 1.5 days.

I will check out the OS 3.2.1

Quote:
Not as big as it was made out to be, happens with most handsets on 3G when signal is weak, including BB, Nokia's etc. Its more to do with network switching between 3G and 2G. Software fix has improved the situation quite a bit. Infact am having terrible issue with a new nokia handset, same location where my iPhone 4 works fine. Need to get it checked.
Ive not experienced this with any phone so cannot comment. I have not even experienced this with the 3GS so I have not complaints on this front.

Quote:
I am a business user and trust me apart from BB push email there is nothing great shakes about it. Many prominent business houses are moving out from BB. BB in India is overhyped with this "business image".
Well, I believe for a business phone, push mail is the way to go. Besides push mail, what I really love about the BB is that when deleting your emails from the handset you have a choice of deleting them from the server OR from the handset only. I didn't find this function on the iPhone which is really frustrating.

I guess to activate that function one has to configure email in the non 'push' type and that too it goes to archive. If it is 'push' type then it deletes from the server completely.

Quote:
You must be joking, even hard core Android guys will not debate on iOS user interface (UI) Vs Android. Functionality it might be the otherway since androids are more open.
Ive fooled around with an Android and found it to be the best platform so far. As you rightly pointed out, I guess the functionality is what impressed me.
Old 28th May 2011, 16:13   #3162
Distinguished - BHPian

If the phone is locked and a buy it from airtel/aircel and take a 2 year plan, then after 2 years can i use the phone with someother operator or am I stuck for lifetime with airtel?

Plus do we need to take a new Sim or can I use my current number and get the iphone 4 and the plan on the same number?
Old 28th May 2011, 16:40   #3163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg
If the phone is locked and a buy it from airtel/aircel and take a 2 year plan, then after 2 years can i use the phone with someother operator or am I stuck for lifetime with airtel?

Plus do we need to take a new Sim or can I use my current number and get the iphone 4 and the plan on the same number?
If its locked, its for lifetime. But there are ways to unlock.
No need for a new sim, only your existing plan gets changed.
Old 28th May 2011, 18:44   #3164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Service backup should be provided by the operator if they sell the phone. Warranty issues I guess will be dealt with directly by Apple now that the phone is officially launched. All Apple products come with 1 yr Int'l warranty.
Even in USA, service backup for iphone is provided only by Apple. The carrier takes their hands off when it comes to iphone.

Just had 2 horrible experience with iphone 4. Both the time, had to go to apple store to get it solved.
Old 28th May 2011, 19:25   #3165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

The phone by airtel/aircel is unlocked! You don't even need to buy or have an airtel/aircel sim.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks