Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 15:26   #3286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Thanks Tejas@perioimpl; I will try this as soon as I get home. I forgot to bring the headset today.
If the mic or its connection is damaged, will this have to be resolved at the Apple store? sorry to be a bit basic, just not aware if the iPh 4 can now be repaired in India.
Most of the big phone dealers can repair iphones nowadays. Just go to your regular 'mobilewala' and he will get it fixed.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 15:33   #3287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Unless you are very keen on giving a surprise gift, don't make your own decision on this. Women consider other factors like compactness, color, looks, etc., over performance and features. Take her to a big mobile shop that has lots of working demo phones, let her short list the phones she likes. Then you can compare the tech features, and pick the most appropriate one from that list. My wife bought a Nokia 3710 calm shell phone recently. She only cared about the fact that it is small (fits in her fist) and comes in plum color.
Advice taken. Thanks. She does really love the iPhone but i guess i need to show her a few more touchphones.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:52   #3288
BHPian

Need a clarification whether iPhone 4 is capable of making video calls, over cell network?
Old 14th June 2011, 17:25   #3289
BHPian

Via Skype yes. Think FaceTime is Apple's implementation of video calls and if not mistaken then it's gonna be live (via 3G) in iOS5.

Dont think you can make regular video calls from iPhone. I mean video call a person on Nokia from your iPhone.

Interesting point though, would it be cheaper to make a video call or Skype call on 3G. I'll try it tonight.
Old 14th June 2011, 19:05   #3290
BANNED

I am struggling with Airtel for replacing my existing SIM card with micro SIM and they are saying no stock and need to wait atleast 15-20 days, I checked their Koramangala office and sent mail as well to airtel helpdesk same reply from both end any clue of its availability in other Airtel centers.
Old 14th June 2011, 19:15   #3291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz
I am struggling with Airtel for replacing my existing SIM card with micro SIM and they are saying no stock and need to wait atleast 15-20 days, I checked their Koramangala office and sent mail as well to airtel helpdesk same reply from both end any clue of its availability in other Airtel centers.
Ajay, a simple solution is cutting it yourself! You can do it yourself (just search on google for the template) or take the sim card to a airtel showroom and they will use a 'micro sim cutter' that cuts your sim card to the micro size!

Took my airtel sim to a showroom here in Chennai and they cut it so I could use it with my iPhone 4! Works like a charm!

There is no actual difference between a micro-sim and a normal sim except the size of the plastic around the chip.
Old 14th June 2011, 21:39   #3292
Senior - BHPian

I got fed up with Idea making me wait for days on end and got the sim chopped into size by a vendor. He charged me 100 bucks for a 45 second job of using a specifically sized cutter and filer
Old 14th June 2011, 21:42   #3293
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Let me know i have a sim cutter with me, it takes couple of seconds to do the deed. You can use the cut out piece as an adapter to put in regular gsm sim phones also
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 21:57   #3294
BANNED

Thanks guys for help but problem is that my SIM is over 7 years old and printed circuit is so big that it cant be cut as per micro SIM specification i tried doing that with 3 vendors, heard that Indira Nagar Airtel outlet is having some stock, tomorrow going to check with them.
If not ill bug you Jaggu between 5:15-5:30PM near your office its my daily route.

Last edited by Ajaybiz : 14th June 2011 at 22:00.
Old 15th June 2011, 11:24   #3295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Need a clarification whether iPhone 4 is capable of making video calls, over cell network?
Facetime is possible on Jailbroken handsets. There is a Cydia app - My3g - that sort of fools the iPhone into believing that the connection is on WiFi, when in fact you're using your 3G connection.
Old 15th June 2011, 11:40   #3296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
Via Skype yes. Think FaceTime is Apple's implementation of video calls and if not mistaken then it's gonna be live (via 3G) in iOS5.

Dont think you can make regular video calls from iPhone. I mean video call a person on Nokia from your iPhone.

Interesting point though, would it be cheaper to make a video call or Skype call on 3G. I'll try it tonight.
You can also use an app called "Tango Video Calls" to make video calls. Skype certainly works well over both EDGE and Wi-fi. Haven't tried over 3G.
Old 15th June 2011, 11:41   #3297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Let me know i have a sim cutter with me, it takes couple of seconds to do the deed. You can use the cut out piece as an adapter to put in regular gsm sim phones also
Can I ask where and how I can lay my hands on one? Is this an expensive unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Most of the big phone dealers can repair iphones nowadays. Just go to your regular 'mobilewala' and he will get it fixed.
I visited the iStore this morning on my way to work and they told me that they only work on units purchased in the area/ country. As mine is bought in France, they will not work on it. I dont understand the logic, if any. Is it a way for Apple to prevent mobility/ sale of jailbroken units?
I will now try my friendly neighbourhood mobilewala; didnt have the time to go there yet.
Old 15th June 2011, 11:43   #3298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Can I ask where and how I can lay my hands on one? Is this an expensive unit?

I visited the iStore this morning on my way to work and they told me that they only work on units purchased in the area/ country. As mine is bought in France, they will not work on it. I dont understand the logic, if any. Is it a way for Apple to prevent mobility/ sale of jailbroken units?
I will now try my friendly neighbourhood mobilewala; didnt have the time to go there yet.
If you are using a factory unlocked phone (which I am sure you are since its bought from France), I see no logic why the iStore would deny repairing it. Apple products come with Int'l warranty. Try calling the Apple customer care and see if they can help.
Old 15th June 2011, 12:02   #3299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict

Apple products come with Int'l warranty. Try calling the Apple customer care and see if they can help.
Nope, not the iPhone. It has country specific warranty.
You could still call and try.
Old 15th June 2011, 12:17   #3300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict

You can also use an app called "Tango Video Calls" to make video calls. Skype certainly works well over both EDGE and Wi-fi. Haven't tried over 3G.
Skype works brilliantly with 3G (Airtel in my case)! Sound quality is great and video streaming works flawlessly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks