Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2011, 12:23   #3196
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread: iPhone 4 launch 27 May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
1)
4) I plug in as soon as i reach home. So on an average my phone is plugged in about 6-8 hours a day. I discharge only once a month (when i receive my bill notification SMS). Then completely drain it (till it switches off) and recharge overnight. This is the recommended practice by apple, as well as for any Li ion battery. Keep the battery charged as much as possible.

With this i get 100% 2 days plus battery in my iPhone 4 ie my observation while doing the discharge cycle monthly.
Sorry, I'm a bit confused here.

If you plug in your phone every evening, how're you measuring the 2 days battery backup?

FWIW, I earlier had an iphone 2g, which I used to charge overnight. Used to dock it while going to sleep (around midnight or so) and take it out when I awoke (around 7AM or so). The battery used to be about 3/4ths drained when I plugged it in. I was fetching every 30 minutes for 5 email accounts, about 2 hours of phone calls every day, around 30 mins of net surfing over EDGE, 60-90 minutes of ipod usage everyday, 30 mins of games everyday, wifi mostly off, bluetooth always on. It was a jailbroken phone with lots of apps from Cydia and mobile substrate plugins which used to keep running all the time.

Now I've given that phone to my wife, and she runs a pretty basic setup. Only appstore apps (Angry Birds, Pool, iCopter etc.), wifi mostly off, edge, fetching on 2 email accounts, around 2 hours of phone calls and SMSing, 30 mins odd of net surfing, an hour or so of Angry Birds. When she returns from office, the battery is only about 10-15% drained. We still dock it in the night.

This is the second battery on this phone, the first one ran out in about 3 years, this one has been going strong for about a year.

Now I've got an iphone 4, factory unlocked and jailbroken, running pretty much the same setup as I was on the previous iphone, plus a few other addons. Location services is on, push off, no fetching (I'm afraid of my Airtel 3G bill, lol), 3G always on, wifi on at home, off otherwise, similar usage, I do play a lot more games and use the camera more often on this though.

When I get home the battery is about 50% drained, and by morning it's at about 30% (after the evening usage). I plug it in as soon as I wake up, and by the time I leave for office, it's at 100%.

I keep the screen brightness of both phones at about 25-30% level with auto adjust.

So all in all, I'm not that unsatisfied with the battery life. Sure, it's no Nokia, but one has to realise that with these "smart"phones and their big screens and 3G and mail fetching, an overnight recharge will be required. My wife's E63 used to require a nighlty recharge as well, and she didn't use it for emailing either!

Don't forget your charger when travelling! And yes, the charge from the wall charger does seem to hold longer than that from USB or car charger. This is after around 4 years of iphone usage...

Enjoy your phone, charge it nightly, and don't worry too much about the battery!
Old 1st June 2011, 12:54   #3197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetmanghani

Sorry, I'm a bit confused here.

If you plug in your phone every evening, how're you measuring the 2 days battery backup?
Read last line carefully. Ie my observation "when I do discharge cycle". Also there are times when am travelling and off power supply reach for 2-3 days.

Following battery cycle really helps. My 3G battery was reading 95% health even after 2 years of usage. Vaio laptop battery went on for 5 years. So if you take care it will last long.

Goto apple support site to understand more about battery care.
Old 1st June 2011, 14:03   #3198
Senior - BHPian

I have noticed a strange thing in my iPhone3. The sound through my iPod docks not great. However when I connect the iPhone with dock through the audio cable using1.5mm jack the sound is better. Anyone else with this observation.
Old 1st June 2011, 17:33   #3199
Team-BHP Support

re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS5 announced!

Direct dock would not have amplification working, its pre-amp output if am not mistaken. On the other hand headphone jack is via inbuilt amplifier?? ^^
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:16   #3200
Senior - BHPian

We have an iphone (1 gen), unlocked and using it here. It accidentally fell from hand now when I switch on white screen appears and nothing happens. I tried to connect to my machine everything works fine (internals are OK). Looks like screen/display is gone!.
Any DIY fix for this issue? :-)
Old 3rd June 2011, 19:30   #3201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
We have an iphone (1 gen), unlocked and using it here. It accidentally fell from hand now when I switch on white screen appears and nothing happens. I tried to connect to my machine everything works fine (internals are OK). Looks like screen/display is gone!.
I beleive that you can purchase the display from iFixit and fix it yourself if you are good with electronics. Not sure if they ship to India though.

I know some repair shops at national market Bangalore that fix iPhones.
Pri2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 19:50   #3202
Senior - BHPian

This may have been answered before. How do I make a song into a ringtone? I tried some tips online, doesnt work. I dont see a ringtone folder on the itunes either. Any idea?
Old 3rd June 2011, 22:11   #3203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
This may have been answered before. How do I make a song into a ringtone? I tried some tips online, doesnt work. I dont see a ringtone folder on the itunes either. Any idea?
Install "Ringtone Designer" from app store, select any song that you have and trim it upto 30 sec, connect to iTunes, select the app from your phone and save the ringtone on your desktop. Now drag it to your phone from desktop. Now once you got sound on your iPhone you should be able to see it! Enjoy
Old 3rd June 2011, 23:57   #3204
BHPian

@mail4ajo
I follow this. Cut a piece from any song which is not more than 40 seconds. Drag it to the Music section in iTunes. Right click on it and select create AAC version. Once done, again right click on the created AAC version file and select show in Windows explorer. Once the file is identified, you need to rename the extension from .m4a to .m4r

Drag this file to the Ringtone section and Sync. Voila!!!
Old 4th June 2011, 01:14   #3205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
1500 bucks, head to SP road in BLR, shops have the part and they will replace it for you also. Only tricky part is the removing of screen but google ifixit and they have step by step instruction if you are a 100% DIY person.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 10:00   #3206
BHPian

Its has arrived; but with its @@@# issues I guess!

iPhone4 from UAE was working fine for exactly 3 days. I have been getting call failed for the past 2 days now.

Don't know how to sort this problem.

4G
32 gigs
SP - MTNL
Issue - 'Call failed' every single time, can call the same number from anothr phone though.

Jaggu - maybe you know the 'REMEDY' - right now its a gaming device, thank God I have a BB as backup

Look forward to your replies
Old 6th June 2011, 10:44   #3207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Its has arrived; but with its @@@# issues I guess!

iPhone4 from UAE was working fine for exactly 3 days. I have been getting call failed for the past 2 days now.

Don't know how to sort this problem.

4G
32 gigs
SP - MTNL
Issue - 'Call failed' every single time, can call the same number from anothr phone though.
Have you tried the phone on some other service provider with another sim? MTNL is known to have "call failed" network problems on many phones, irrespective of the make. I've had to try and make the call 4-5 times before it got connected on MTNL while roaming in Mumbai. Also, if your phone is on prepaid, check you have enough balance left on the account for making outgoing calls.

BTW, what's 4G about the iPhone4?

Last edited by Neilguy : 6th June 2011 at 10:53.
Old 6th June 2011, 10:59   #3208
BHPian

BTW, what's 4G about the iPhone4?

Oops my mistake!

Will try with another service provider...am sure balance is not an issue - its a prepaid yes!

cheers Neilguy
Old 6th June 2011, 16:01   #3209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Jaggu - maybe you know the 'REMEDY' - right now its a gaming device, thank God I have a BB as backup

Look forward to your replies
Try switching off 3G and see. Or else try swapping sim cards and check. Is the OS updated?
Old 6th June 2011, 17:27   #3210
BHPian

Hi Jaggu

Have tried to switch off all applications
1) Wifi
2) notifications
3) Location services

but hasnt helped yet.

question is - if all was working fine for the first three days since arrival - how come it all changed since saturday?

dont have an alternate sim (cut) to try and see if it works fine

Will keep you posted everyday...as to what ever develops

cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks