Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2011, 13:28   #3256
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

@saildrive
When iOS5 was launched for Dev's, the compatible iTune10.5 was also launched as a beta. Only using this iTunes, we will be able to upgrade to iOS5. And this iTunes was only for MAC.
Now iTunes 10.3 is launched for Windows and using it, we can upgrade to iOS5.
Old 9th June 2011, 21:23   #3257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms
@saildrive
When iOS5 was launched for Dev's, the compatible iTune10.5 was also launched as a beta. Only using this iTunes, we will be able to upgrade to iOS5. And this iTunes was only for MAC.
Now iTunes 10.3 is launched for Windows and using it, we can upgrade to iOS5.
You mean a regular user can download iOS 5. Apple promised they will send me a mail :(
Old 10th June 2011, 07:45   #3258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec

You mean a regular user can download iOS 5. Apple promised they will send me a mail :(
Not yet. iOS5 is stil avail only for devs, but iTunes 10.3 supports iOS5
Old 11th June 2011, 00:20   #3259
BHPian

People here who have developer accounts and have downloaded and installed iOS 5 on their iPhones : Did you experience any problems with carrier unlocking?
Old 11th June 2011, 01:22   #3260
BHPian

Right now people like me are less excited about iOS 5 launch and waiting more for genuine cydia unlock for higher basebands from DEV team. Really wondering how long we need to manage with gevey SIM

Couple of days back I called up Airtel customer care to enquire whether they have capabilities to factory unlock our AT&T locked phones by speaking to Apple and charging us some fees for this service? I received response that right now they do not have such offer but might consider this in future.

Guys, do u think Airtel or any other carrier in india can really do that for us or they are just giving false hopes?
Old 11th June 2011, 01:37   #3261
Team-BHP Support

^^ I really dont think so coz the unlock is carried through apple servers and they do have very strict checks in place.
Old 11th June 2011, 09:40   #3262
BHPian

Iphone - Best Tweaks, features and addons found by BHPians

Hi Guys,

I am a huge fan of Apple products and needless to say, Iphone 4 tops the list. I have jailbroken by Phone, running on IOS 4.3.1. Wanted to share some of the best addons/apps I have found for a Jailbroken Iphone. Looking forward to fellow BHPians sharing their themes/apps/addons/tweaks.

Cheers.

Heres the first screenshot from my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-img_0463.jpg  

plimsollmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2011, 17:12   #3263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
^^ I really dont think so coz the unlock is carried through apple servers and they do have very strict checks in place.
That is what I asked Airtel! Legit way of factory unlocking my phone by contacting apple and factory unlocking the phone by charging me some fees for the service. Reply from Airtel was they might consider this in future and update me if this is possible. Not sure though if it's just false hopes given to me by Airtel!
Old 11th June 2011, 22:21   #3264
BHPian

I doubt it. I think AAPL maintains a 'white list' of iPhones that are factory unlocked - either IMEI or serial no. When I connected my iPhones for the first time, I got a message that said "Your phone is now unlocked".

Moreover, the phone price is 'subsidized' by AT&T, and they are pretty strict about not unlocking it. So if someone sold their locked iPhone while in contract and ATT is no longer getting the money (from contract) then what is the motivation for ATT to ask Apple to unlock the phone. Quite honestly, I doubt Airtel getting involved in this - asking Apple to unlock the phone after paying off ATT.

If the delay in launching iPhone in India is any indication I doubt if Airtel or Aircel has enough 'clout' to even get Apple to 'think' about it.
Old 11th June 2011, 22:40   #3265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
Moreover, the phone price is 'subsidized' by AT&T, and they are pretty strict about not unlocking it. So if someone sold their locked iPhone while in contract and ATT is no longer getting the money (from contract) then what is the motivation for ATT to ask Apple to unlock the phone. Quite honestly, I doubt Airtel getting involved in this - asking Apple to unlock the phone after paying off ATT.
Not sure if you are aware of this option! I got ip4 directly from Apple store in US and i didnt get it for 'subsidized' price 599 USD + Tax = Approximately ~620 USD. my ip4 is locked to AT&T but without any contract. if you buy with ATT contract only then you will get the phone at Subsidized price.

Guys, One more update i have today - I called Airtel and again asked about the factory unlock option of my phone and they informed me that if your phone is exactly 1 year old they will try and contact apple on our behalf to unlock the phone. If anyone on this forum bought their ip4 immediately when it was launched (i.e June 2010) - Can you please try and contact Airtel and confirm here whether this info. is authenticated and not the usual scenario of Customer care fooling around?

Last edited by lazybrain : 11th June 2011 at 22:43.
Old 11th June 2011, 22:52   #3266
BHPian

Well, am aware of the unsubsidized option as well but again it is locked to ATT. Did you try asking them to unlock it? Not to start a troll but it is pure economics for subsidized phones.

Wow!! Seriously? Airtel will do that? I'm still a pessimistic on this one. Maybe when I see one getting unlocked that way.
Old 13th June 2011, 09:32   #3267
BHPian

Seems like unlocked iPhones are headed to US stores.
Source: macrumors.com
rtandon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 12:59   #3268
BHPian

@rtandon the news also says that this is not good news for AT&T. What implication will it have on customers like me who bought At&T locked phone from US to India? Does this mean that after official launch of unlocked phone in Apple Stores, US it will be easy for us to factory unlock AT&T locked phones? What do you guys think?
Old 13th June 2011, 13:27   #3269
BHPian

Not sure how ATT would handle that. Let's see. Maybe they would.
Old 13th June 2011, 15:12   #3270
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
@rtandon the news also says that this is not good news for AT&T. What implication will it have on customers like me who bought At&T locked phone from US to India? Does this mean that after official launch of unlocked phone in Apple Stores, US it will be easy for us to factory unlock AT&T locked phones? What do you guys think?
Cancel the AT&T plan, pay if any penalty (if applicable for breaking contract) and show proof of relocation and AT&T would do it for you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks