Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2011, 14:46   #3181
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread !!! Update: iOS 4.3.3 out !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yes Push email takes away battery in the 3G and 3GS model big time. Try fetch with 30 mts interval and see.
Well that is exactly why I have been saying that the Blackberry is a better phone when it comes to emailing! No fun without 'Push' emails.

Quote:
I use exchange and i dont have any issue with this delete from device or leave it, i think it has to be done at the server level for exchange and not on the device. And my office exchange has this activated, my guess.
Try it out. The thing is that if you use Exchange and you delete your emails from your iPhone, they automatically get deleted from your email Inbox. You will however find them still present in 'All Mails'. This is not the case with Blackberry.

Last edited by Technocrat : 31st May 2011 at 22:10. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 31st May 2011, 19:12   #3182
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread: iPhone 4 launch 27 May 2011

Each day, I find some feature missing in the Iphone which I had on the E72. But I am very happy with the device. My 3G speeds are great compared to the Nokia. I have a few apps running which includes the tbhp one (I love it).

Is there an app for closing all backgrounds apps in one go? Its tedious to close each time individually. Also leting them run in the background drains power.

Also suggest an app, if available for setting user profiles with a different ring tone, sound level like we had in Nokia. I have to manually set the ring tone sound level.

I will need more help, thanks in advance, guys.
Old 31st May 2011, 19:16   #3183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
Each day, I find some feature missing in the Iphone which I had on the E72. But I am very happy with the device. My 3G speeds are great compared to the Nokia. I have a few apps running which includes the tbhp one (I love it).

Is there an app for closing all backgrounds apps in one go? Its tedious to close each time individually. Also leting them run in the background drains power.

Also suggest an app, if available for setting user profiles with a different ring tone, sound level like we had in Nokia. I have to manually set the ring tone sound level.

I will need more help, thanks in advance, guys.
You can get all these features if you jailbreak your iPhone. SBSettings is the best thing about JB.
Old 31st May 2011, 21:38   #3184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
You can get all these features if you jailbreak your iPhone. SBSettings is the best thing about JB.
I know. But that also voids your warranty and also access to future updates, right? Please correct if wrong. I dont want to be shifting between the OS.

I may try it after the warranty period. So I think will just have to live with it.

Hope the rumoured update in June will give us these small, badly missed features.
Old 31st May 2011, 21:50   #3185
BHPian

All you need to do before taking the jailbreak phone for warranty cover for any issues to istore is restore to factory settings via iTunes and your warranty will not void. After fixing up the issue from istore you can again jailbreak your device.
Old 31st May 2011, 23:10   #3186
BHPian

WooHooo!!! Its now official!!!!

Apple® CEO Steve Jobs and a team of Apple executives will kick off the company’s annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) with a keynote address on Monday, June 6 at 10:00 a.m. At the keynote, Apple will unveil its next generation software – Lion, the eighth major release of Mac OS® X; iOS 5, the next version of Apple’s advanced mobile operating system which powers the iPad®, iPhone® and iPod touch®; and iCloud®, Apple’s upcoming cloud services offering.
Old 31st May 2011, 23:26   #3187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Try it out. The thing is that if you use Exchange and you delete your emails from your iPhone, they automatically get deleted from your email Inbox. You will however find them still present in 'All Mails'. This is not the case with Blackberry.
Gmail exchange yes, office exchange NO. So i have a feeling this is something to do with the exchange server configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Also leting them run in the background drains power.
Nope unless its something which allows push notification, i have apps always kept in the background. They stay putt and dont drain power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
WooHooo!!! Its now official!!!!

Apple® CEO Steve Jobs and a team of Apple executives will kick off the company’s annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) with a keynote address on Monday, June 6 at 10:00 a.m. At the keynote, Apple will unveil its next generation software – Lion, the eighth major release of Mac OS® X; iOS 5, the next version of Apple’s advanced mobile operating system which powers the iPad®, iPhone® and iPod touch®; and iCloud®, Apple’s upcoming cloud services offering.

So basically it means no new iPhone 5 (hardware) Also very unusual for apple to make an announcement like this before the d day. So is it sign of a bigger surprise
Old 31st May 2011, 23:31   #3188
BHPian

Even more Surprise!!! iWork launched for the iPhone and iPad before WWDC. Apple is definitely into something. Waiting for June 6th.
Old 1st June 2011, 00:28   #3189
Team-BHP Support

And this is what am talking about apple is very serious about taking this corporate and right to the top

iClarified - Apple News - Federal Government is Increasingly Replacing BlackBerrys With iPhones
Old 1st June 2011, 00:45   #3190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope unless its something which allows push notification, i have apps always kept in the background. They stay putt and dont drain power.
So if I have phone, messages, 2 games and safari running, the power will not be drained. I have deactivated wifi, push, location services and even cellular data and 3G access. I use wifi at home and 3G (switching on, when required) when outside.
Old 1st June 2011, 01:34   #3191
BHPian

Quote:
So if I have phone, messages, 2 games and safari running, the power will not be drained. I have deactivated wifi, push, location services and even cellular data and 3G access. I use wifi at home and 3G (switching on, when required) when outside.

Hello mail4ajo,

Let me tell you very honestly - take my word for it - no mater what you do you cannot make it last more than a day(Unless you have data disabled and you use just to make and receive ph calls). I know once you have used nokia there are little nitty gritty which we would wish we had it. For example I miss the schedule messages

But when we compare the advantages its just outstanding. I was so hesitant while purchasing it as I myself have used Nokia E series, Blackberry and then iPhone.

Couple of things you can consider for optimum battery performance -

1) Disable push email - set to fetch (30 min or 1 hr)
2) Disable wireless / bluetooth (Enable only when required)
3) Enable 3G only when you need (Edge is absolutely fine for all notifications)
4) Always charge using the wall adapter (Personally found faster and charge lasts longer)
5) Enable only those notification that you require rest leave disabled!
6) Location services - same as above.
7) Lock orientation sensor (3GS, iPhone 4)
8) Once a week restart the phone.

Let me know if this was helpful
Old 1st June 2011, 01:42   #3192
BHPian

iOS 5 is slated to be shown to the world this WWDC (June 6th to June 10th). Man, does it promise a lot of things. iCloud, Apple's new cloud services, will also be released during the conference, apart from Mac's new operating system.
Old 1st June 2011, 10:42   #3193
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS5 announced!

Adding to the above..iPhone 4S is gonna be released/announced. The WWDC2011 invite image has these info hidden. 5 and S, meaning iOS5 and iPhone 4S. Remember, the same image with only the S hidden was revealed when iPhone 3GS was announced/released.
Old 1st June 2011, 10:53   #3194
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
1) Disable push email - set to fetch (30 min or 1 hr)
2) Disable wireless / bluetooth (Enable only when required)
3) Enable 3G only when you need (Edge is absolutely fine for all notifications)
4) Always charge using the wall adapter (Personally found faster and charge lasts longer)
5) Enable only those notification that you require rest leave disabled!
6) Location services - same as above.
7) Lock orientation sensor (3GS, iPhone 4)
8) Once a week restart the phone.

Let me know if this was helpful
1) I dont use Push email, one of the reason why i moved out of BB was it was annoying to get "pushed" email. I get about 300+ email daily on my official id alone, thanks to the nature of work. Plus another 100 thanks to Facebook Now i pull when i feel like it, but this is about every 30 mts at the least.

2) My wifi and bluetooth are ON always. I have wifi at home and office and that is how i keep my airtel bill low. Bluetooth also has been ON since new alpine came in car.

3) Always on 3G but my office and home has decent coverage so no hunting between 2G and 3G which drains power, but if you are moving around too much and dont use network data simple thing is switch of 3G, saves lot of juice. Same with the N95 i use.

4) I plug in as soon as i reach home. So on an average my phone is plugged in about 6-8 hours a day. I discharge only once a month (when i receive my bill notification SMS). Then completely drain it (till it switches off) and recharge overnight. This is the recommended practice by apple, as well as for any Li ion battery. Keep the battery charged as much as possible.

5) I dont have any Push. Only if am logged into chat i allow them. Which is very rare.

6) Location service is always ON

7) Always left alone.

8) I restart if i install more than 2-3 apps or updates of apps.

With this i get 100% 2 days plus battery in my iPhone 4 ie my observation while doing the discharge cycle monthly.

For egs for last Avalaconda trip my iPhone 4 had juice till we returned to BLR on the other hand Nokia N95 on brand new battery and 3G enabled died at night on the day 1 itself! Funny part is both the phones were kinda idle most of the time lol
Old 1st June 2011, 11:27   #3195
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS5 announced!

My wife had iphone and now has Galaxy s. For her normal usage both the phones have been almost similar with battery life. Around 2 days.

My Nokia N8 lasts close to 3 days with extensive usage of mails/3g.

All these phones were battery drainers with respect to playing videos.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks