Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2011, 22:40   #3166
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread !!! Update: iOS 4.3.3 out !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I have deactivated my emails on my iPhone 3GS and the battery level is now almost equal to my BB Bold 3. My Bold 3 lasts for full 2 days with regular calls and emailing. My iPhone 3GS now lasts for 1.5 days.
Yes Push email takes away battery in the 3G and 3GS model big time. Try fetch with 30 mts interval and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Well, I believe for a business phone, push mail is the way to go. Besides push mail, what I really love about the BB is that when deleting your emails from the handset you have a choice of deleting them from the server OR from the handset only. I didn't find this function on the iPhone which is really frustrating.

I guess to activate that function one has to configure email in the non 'push' type and that too it goes to archive. If it is 'push' type then it deletes from the server completely.
I use exchange and i dont have any issue with this delete from device or leave it, i think it has to be done at the server level for exchange and not on the device. And my office exchange has this activated, my guess.
Old 29th May 2011, 00:50   #3167
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread: iPhone 4 launch 27 May 2011

Hi Guys,

I have an iphone 4 which i got from Australia. I got it unlocked in INDIA, was using airtel GPRS/EDGE 98INR 2 GB plan but since yesterday all of a sudden my internet stopped working. E letter is still coming near the Airtel logo on top left hand side and i am able to make/recieve calls. I called airtel customer care and they advice to reset my network settings and re-insert the sim. I am afraid that it will agin lock the phone, what you guys think?

Its a pain to use unlocked iphone. I am afraid to touch settings and live under the fear that it will lock itself.

-Inder

PS: Anybody here use the turbo sim? Feedback please.
Old 29th May 2011, 09:30   #3168
BHPian

@ijeet exactly same thing happened with me yesterday. My edge stopped working. I complained to customer care and they asked me to restart the phone. Once I restarted edge started working again. I am using an AT&T locked phone and unlocked it via GEVEY. AFAIK there is no harm in reset the data network. It's nothing to do with phone lock or unlock.
Old 29th May 2011, 13:53   #3169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
Hi Guys,

I have an iphone 4 which i got from Australia. I got it unlocked in INDIA, was using airtel GPRS/EDGE 98INR 2 GB plan but since yesterday all of a sudden my internet stopped working. E letter is still coming near the Airtel logo on top left hand side and i am able to make/recieve calls. I called airtel customer care and they advice to reset my network settings and re-insert the sim. I am afraid that it will agin lock the phone, what you guys think?

Its a pain to use unlocked iphone. I am afraid to touch settings and live under the fear that it will lock itself.

-Inder

PS: Anybody here use the turbo sim? Feedback please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
@ijeet exactly same thing happened with me yesterday. My edge stopped working. I complained to customer care and they asked me to restart the phone. Once I restarted edge started working again. I am using an AT&T locked phone and unlocked it via GEVEY. AFAIK there is no harm in reset the data network. It's nothing to do with phone lock or unlock.
A simple ON/OFF toggle of the Cellular Data switch under Settings would also help instead of restarting the phone. I face this issue too once in a while on my factory unlocked phone iP4.
Old 29th May 2011, 16:05   #3170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
A simple ON/OFF toggle of the Cellular Data switch under Settings would also help instead of restarting the phone. I face this issue too once in a while on my factory unlocked phone iP4.
@fuel_addict generally ON/OFF toggle of cellular data switch solves the problem for me. But strangely yesterday it did not! Thats when i called the customer care and they told me that they were doing the server level upgrades at their end, hence the GPRS was not working. They suggested restart of phone after 1 hour and still if the problem persists report to customer care. Luckily for me after restarting the phone the problem solved.

One more thing i wanted to report here is that before couple of days my phone was showing hardly 2 bar Airtel Signal strength. Most of the times it used to show 1 bar signal strength. When i used take the office elevator it used to show NO SERVICE and after coming out of elevator it used to automatically show Airtel Signal Strength (1 or 2 bar and 3 bar occasionally). Since my phone is unlocked via GEVEY i called up the guy from whom i purchased GEVEY and he told me that since its just a working unlock solution i need to live with such type of problems until the time genuine software unlock from DEV team is out in future.

But from last 2 days i am seeing that without me doing anything my iphone has full signal strength (5 bars) most of the times and when i am in office elevator 5 signal bar becomes 2 or 3 bars. I am assuming is it something to do with iphone 4 official launch in India on Friday that airtel tweaked their network settings to fully support iphones? Just a wild guess!!

Anyone has also experienced similar issue like me who are using GEVEY SIM unlocked phones?
Old 29th May 2011, 21:21   #3171
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I got my iphone finally. Been reading on the tips and tricks online for last 2 days. Few queries for the gurus:

1. Is there an app that will help to pause and zoom video while recording?

2. Can any app help to close all open apps together?

3. I read a lot on power saving and implemented it all. Any thing you guys are doing special that will help save power? I am used to Nokia's 2.5 days.

4. Where are the general settings for the SMS's? Just learning the settings since I havent extensively used the iphone series.
Old 29th May 2011, 22:32   #3172
BHPian

Does apple provide support & warranties to all iPhones (bought overseas) in India ?
Old 30th May 2011, 09:54   #3173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Does apple provide support & warranties to all iPhones (bought overseas) in India ?
AFAIK Yes. The condition is that the iPhone should be officially launched in India. Now that iP4 is here, it should also be covered no matter where you buy it from. Not sure how it works in case of jailbroken phones.
Old 30th May 2011, 10:36   #3174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
AFAIK Yes. The condition is that the iPhone should be officially launched in India. Now that iP4 is here, it should also be covered no matter where you buy it from. Not sure how it works in case of jailbroken phones.
Jailbroken iphones are not covered in warrantee. You need to reinstall official software without the JB and then take it to the apple store.
Old 30th May 2011, 11:56   #3175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
3. I read a lot on power saving and implemented it all. Any thing you guys are doing special that will help save power? I am used to Nokia's 2.5 days.

4. Where are the general settings for the SMS's? Just learning the settings since I havent extensively used the iphone series.
3) I have killed the push notifications and i generally like to have my screen brightness in the first 1/4 of the scale and put to auto adjust. This itself gives me 2+ days with full fledged use. I do have my wifi and bluetooth full time ON. Switching off these also helps, also killing 3G if you are not using cell data is a very good idea.

I charge the phone overnight every day or as frequently as possible, and completely discharge it only once a month. Leave it for 10-30 mts and then full recharge. This keeps the Li ion cell in the phone in good shape and for long. Do the same for my laptop and phones.

4) Setting>Messages
Old 30th May 2011, 14:38   #3176
BHPian

Yesterday went to Apple store and had a hands on on the new beauty iPhone4. Once I was in, i felt the store to be like a exhibition/cinema hall. Lots of visitors thronging to have a glimpse of the phone.

First impression, the phone feels good in the hands. Screen width is smaller when compared to the 3GS. Speaker volume is the same, good back camera, but I feel the flash is not that much brighter(May be, the store is lit in the same color, so the illusion in my eyes) Regards to speed, its snappier.

Final conclusion, hesitant to go for it, something is missing from the iPhone4, atleast for a 3GS user.
Old 30th May 2011, 14:53   #3177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Screen width is smaller when compared to the 3GS.
Screen width is the same. The phone itself has a slightly smaller width compared to 3GS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
@fuel_addict generally ON/OFF toggle of cellular data switch solves the problem for me. But strangely yesterday it did not! Thats when i called the customer care and they told me that they were doing the server level upgrades at their end, hence the GPRS was not working.
You could give a try to set the phone in Airplane Mode and back. This essentially cuts off all connections with your service provider as against switching off Cellular data. You could also leave it in Airplane mode for a few minutes if the fast switch off-on does not work.

Last edited by deep_bang : 30th May 2011 at 14:57.
Old 31st May 2011, 10:02   #3178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post

Final conclusion, hesitant to go for it, something is missing from the iPhone4, atleast for a 3GS user.
Shouldn't it be the other way round? Weren't you impressed by the Retina display?
Old 31st May 2011, 10:12   #3179
Senior - BHPian

The Airtel plans look quite confusing. Your plan for saving 24k in two years means you still have to pay close to 24000 more for the plans in 2 years.

I have a feeling a normal 3G plan with your existing plan works out the same. At the end of the day i am feeling, may be i am not saving anything with this new Airtel offer.

May be i cannot do math really well. I am convinced with Airtel and the Iphone plans.
Old 31st May 2011, 10:23   #3180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict

Shouldn't it be the other way round? Weren't you impressed by the Retina display?
Since the screen size is small, not impressed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks