Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2011, 22:26   #3916
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

guys any idea,as to when unlock for 4.11.08 baseband would be released.?
Old 25th December 2011, 13:27   #3917
BHPian

I just upgraded my wife's iPhone 3GS with baseband 06.15.00 to iOS 5.0.1. Jailbroke and unlocked it too. Only important step to keep in mind is to preserve the baseband while upgrading (which is not possible if you use iTunes to upgrade).

The process was smooth and straightforward, but do not forget to back up before the upgrade so you can restore data later. Loving the new iOS 5 on the old 3GS.
Old 26th December 2011, 15:33   #3918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
I just upgraded my wife's iPhone 3GS with baseband 06.15.00 to iOS 5.0.1. Jailbroke and unlocked it too. Only important step to keep in mind is to preserve the baseband while upgrading (which is not possible if you use iTunes to upgrade).

The process was smooth and straightforward, but do not forget to back up before the upgrade so you can restore data later. Loving the new iOS 5 on the old 3GS.
I would be really glad if you could PM me the link to the procedure.
Old 26th December 2011, 15:49   #3919
BHPian

Quote:

Hey did you do a untethered jail break or a tethered one? How much time it took for you to do it?
Old 27th December 2011, 14:32   #3920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
I would be really glad if you could PM me the link to the procedure.
Visit this site, or this link. These sites have a neat list of articles to help with your JB/unlock and links to download all software required for the same.

The important thing to remember is, if you have jailbroken/unlocked your iPhone earlier using software methods (not bought the iPhone factory unlocked) and want to retain your unlocked baseband with the new OS, do NOT install the stock 5.0.1 directly on your iPhone.

Patch the downloaded (from Apple site) iOS 5.0.1 using Redsn0w first, then custom Restore (shift+Restore) your iPhone in iTunes with this patched software. Now jailbreak your iPhone using Redsn0w again (When you have to "Select ISPW" at this stage, select the original iOS file you downloaded, not the patched one). Once it is jailbroken, install Ultrasn0w from Cydia, as described and voila, you're done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
Hey did you do a untethered jail break or a tethered one? How much time it took for you to do it?
I have an iPhone 3GS with older serial number lot and baseband which is the only model which currently supports an untethered Jailbreak/unlock with iOS. The whole process including backup and restore took me around 30 minutes. The only thing which took time was downloading the 700 MB (odd) iOS 5.0.1 software from Apple.

Feel free to PM in case of any queries.

Last edited by Neilguy : 27th December 2011 at 14:41. Reason: Added clarity
Neilguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 18:43   #3921
BHPian

Quote:
Visit this site, or this link. These sites have a neat list of articles to help with your JB/unlock and links to download all software required for the same.

The important thing to remember is, if you have jailbroken/unlocked your iPhone earlier using software methods (not bought the iPhone factory unlocked) and want to retain your unlocked baseband with the new OS, do NOT install the stock 5.0.1 directly on your iPhone.

Patch the downloaded (from Apple site) iOS 5.0.1 using Redsn0w first, then custom Restore (shift+Restore) your iPhone in iTunes with this patched software. Now jailbreak your iPhone using Redsn0w again (When you have to "Select ISPW" at this stage, select the original iOS file you downloaded, not the patched one). Once it is jailbroken, install Ultrasn0w from Cydia, as described and voila, you're done.

I have an iPhone 3GS with older serial number lot and baseband which is the only model which currently supports an untethered Jailbreak/unlock with iOS. The whole process including backup and restore took me around 30 minutes. The only thing which took time was downloading the 700 MB (odd) iOS 5.0.1 software from Apple.

Thanks mate. After this jailbreak, is it the normal process to unlock? i.e, going to Cydia? and I hope IOS 5.0.1 can be unlocked?

Last edited by designersf : 27th December 2011 at 18:44.
Old 27th December 2011, 19:42   #3922
BHPian

Pod2g's iOS 5.0.1 Untethered Jailbreak for Non-A5 Devices Has Been Released!

http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=18988
Old 27th December 2011, 20:28   #3923
BHPian

Quote:
Pod2g's iOS 5.0.1 Untethered Jailbreak for Non-A5 Devices Has Been Released!

iClarified - Apple News - Pod2g's iOS 5.0.1 Untethered Jailbreak for Non-A5 Devices Has Been Released!

Ya but somehow not working, I tried it.
Old 27th December 2011, 20:34   #3924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Ya but somehow not working, I tried it.
I have not tried it yet, but planning to do it over the week end on my IPhone 3GS. Let me know what issues you are facing.
Old 27th December 2011, 20:47   #3925
BHPian

Quote:
I have not tried it yet, but planning to do it over the week end on my IPhone 3GS. Let me know what issues you are facing.
I am having Iphone 4 running with BB 1.59, so I want to keep my BB while upgrading. so followed the note mentioned in iclarified to creat custom ipsw file. But somehow this custom file is not able to restore using itune throwing error 1601, 1602, 1604. Though these errors indicate USB issue, but I didn't find any issue in my cable. Will try again on my MAC system and let you know.
Old 27th December 2011, 23:19   #3926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
Thanks mate. After this jailbreak, is it the normal process to unlock? i.e, going to Cydia? and I hope IOS 5.0.1 can be unlocked?
Yes, if by normal process to unlock, you mean, Go to Cydia, install the Ultrasn0w repository, then install Ultrasn0w from Cydia.
Old 27th December 2011, 23:23   #3927
Senior - BHPian

Whats the going price for factory unlocked Iphone 4 these days?
any price drop after 4S was introduced.
Old 27th December 2011, 23:36   #3928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Whats the going price for factory unlocked Iphone 4 these days?
any price drop after 4S was introduced.
I'm not sure of the current street price, but after the iPhone 4S was officially launched in India at Rs. 44,500 for 16GB, official price of iPhone4 8GB actually increased to Rs. 37,900 (iPhone4 16GB was for 33K) and iPhone 3GS 8GB to Rs. 20,900

Last edited by Neilguy : 27th December 2011 at 23:44.
Neilguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 03:27   #3929
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
I am having Iphone 4 running with BB 1.59, so I want to keep my BB while upgrading. so followed the note mentioned in iclarified to creat custom ipsw file. But somehow this custom file is not able to restore using itune throwing error 1601, 1602, 1604. Though these errors indicate USB issue, but I didn't find any issue in my cable. Will try again on my MAC system and let you know.
Installed iOS 5.0.1 and jailbreaked my iPhone 3GS. Followed the instructions from Upgrade jailbroke iPhone 3GS to iOS 5 preserve unlock baseband redsn0w

Feeling sleepy now, will play around with it after a short break
Old 31st December 2011, 08:55   #3930
BHPian

I am trying to upgrade my iPhone 4 preserving gevey unlockable 4.10.01 baseband from iOS 4.3.3 to iOS 5.0.1. When I use redsnOw and try to create custom IPSW I get an error memory exhausted. So i tried using snowbreeze to create IPSW and then pushed my phone to pwned DFU mode as per instructions. But when the phone goes to DFU mode my iTunes is not detecting the phone. This is preventing me to shift and restore the IPSW I created.
So basically I am stuck with both redsnOw and snowbreeze. Request help here if they have faced similar situations above!

Most Viewed