Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2012, 23:47   #4021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49
I got an Iphone 4 from my friend from Hong kong. When he gave it to me it showed all icons and I could see many photos taken by him or his friends. I inserted my cell one SIM and tried to sync with itunes in my Mac. Now it shows only a grey iPHONE screen with configure. Once I slide it shows activation failed and tells to insert a right sim with out pin lock. I understood it is a locked one. How can I unlock ? if I can't use the phone, is there any possibilities of using it as camera and calculator.Is there any way of unlocking in Chennai.
Try Apple & Berry store near Anna Nagar Arch. They will unlock it by jail breaking. For further details pm me.
Old 31st January 2012, 22:02   #4022
Team-BHP Support

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Once I slide it shows activation failed and tells to insert a right sim with out pin lock. I understood it is a locked one. How can I unlock ? if I can't use the phone, is there any possibilities of using it as camera and calculator.Is there any way of unlocking in Chennai.
Hold on, this might mean the sim card has sim lock. Put the sim in another phone and set sim lock off and then try. Hongkong phones are unlocked ones.
Old 1st February 2012, 09:05   #4023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Hold on, this might mean the sim card has sim lock. Put the sim in another phone and set sim lock off and then try. Hongkong phones are unlocked ones.
Sir,
I put the cell one sim and tried.Followed by that I selected the English language, selected India as the country,enabled location services and wifi network was chosen. After that I found no service note and the message was "Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iphone.Please insert Sim card came with your iphone or visit a supported Carriers store to replacement SIM card". The cell one SIM works in my mobile of the same iphone4.

Last edited by navan49 : 1st February 2012 at 09:13.
Old 1st February 2012, 09:18   #4024
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Sir,
I put the cell one sim and tried.Followed by that I selected the English language, selected India as the country,enabled location services and wifi network was chosen after that I found no service note and the message was "Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iphone.Please insert Sim card came with your iphone or visit a supported Carriers store to replacement SIM card". The cell one SIM works in my mobile of the same iphone4.

PIN Lock and carrier locks are two different things. PIN is used for phone security while carrier lock is used to tie a phone to a particular operator.

HK phones are generally unlocked. But your phone seems to have a carrier lock i.e. it will work only with the SIM card of a particular network provider. Begin to suspect a locked phone if you got the unit at way lower than retail price. Check with the person who bought it for you.

There are methods to get around this issue - you can jail break plus modify the base band to accept other SIMs, see this link for more info. iPhone 4 Carrier Unlock Released

With all activities such as JB and carrier unlocking, there's an element of risk. You could brick the phone. So check around in Chennai for a shop or person who can do it for you.

Cheers!
Old 1st February 2012, 19:45   #4025
BHPian

Is any one facing time difference in iPhone 4S?
My Phone goes back by Half Hour atleast two times in a day.
I called up to the Call Centre and they advised me to switch off automatic setting of time by time zone.
Now its fine but is it a bug or one off error in my Phone?

And regarding the extended warranty, I was told by imagine, UB City, as not launched in India. Is there any updation? Thanks in advance!
Old 1st February 2012, 20:49   #4026
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz
I called up to the Call Centre and they advised me to switch off automatic setting of time by time zone.

And regarding the extended warranty, I was told by imagine, UB City, as not launched in India. Is there any updation? Thanks in advance!
It happens with most smartphones in bangalore if auto time zone is on. It happened with me in bangalore when i was using xperia x10 and also on my iphone 4s both on airtel. Time was 30 mins behind in bangalore in comparison to IST.
Old 1st February 2012, 20:52   #4027
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post

That happens because of auto time updates from the network. Switch off the auto settings and set the time zone and time manually. I faced it when I was on Idea Cellular...but the phone works perfectly with Vodafone. Don't ask me why.

Cheers!
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:21   #4028
Senior - BHPian

Question for anyone using Viber in your iPhone:

If you make a call from Viber, does it seamlessly appear in phone's call history as well?
If you get a call / missed call in Viber, does it appear in the incoming call / missed call log of the phone?

Please reply with your iPhone model and iOS version.
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:44   #4029
Senior - BHPian

Clevermax your questions answered in Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Question for anyone using Viber in your iPhone:

If you make a call from Viber, does it seamlessly appear in phone's call history as well?

NO it won't

If you get a call / missed call in Viber, does it appear in the incoming call / missed call log of the phone?

NO it won't, the missed calls will appear only in Viber call logs

Please reply with your iPhone model and iOS version.

3GS - 5.0.1
gowda79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:57   #4030
Senior - BHPian

One more question regards Viber: Can you call a contact with Viber if he is not online? I feel all these VOIP's need a lot of planning to work, first both should get on to wifi and then only call can be made. That's why there are many VOIP's like Viber, Fring. But the only one that's been successful is Skype: has transformed communication.
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:51   #4031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Clevermax your questions answered in Bold
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
One more question regards Viber: Can you call a contact with Viber if he is not online? I feel all these VOIP's need a lot of planning to work, first both should get on to wifi and then only call can be made. That's why there are many VOIP's like Viber, Fring. But the only one that's been successful is Skype: has transformed communication.
What do you mean not online? If Viber is installed and if you have data connection on, then you will get calls in Viber. There is no 'offline' mode for Viber. If data connection is cut off, then it won't work. I do not see much of a difference between Skype and Viber.

Wi-fi is not required, even an EDGE data connection will do, but the speech will be heard on the other end with a delay.

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd February 2012 at 13:54.
Old 3rd February 2012, 20:17   #4032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax

Thanks!

What do you mean not online? If Viber is installed and if you have data connection on, then you will get calls in Viber. There is no 'offline' mode for Viber. If data connection is cut off, then it won't work. I do not see much of a difference between Skype and Viber.

Wi-fi is not required, even an EDGE data connection will do, but the speech will be heard on the other end with a delay.
+1. Viber runs on your cellular data connection like 4G, 3G and even on EDGE and on wi-fi. As longs as you and others in your contact list have data plan, it will work without any issues.

As Clevermax stated, calls made/received/missed will not appear in your phone's call logs. However, if you missed a call on Viber and you have notifications on for Viber, you will get a notification in notification bar.
Old 3rd February 2012, 22:13   #4033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
That happens because of auto time updates from the network. Switch off the auto settings and set the time zone and time manually. I faced it when I was on Idea Cellular...but the phone works perfectly with Vodafone. Don't ask me why.

Cheers!
Same problem here. I use Airtel in Bangalore. Looks like Airtel time servers in Bangalore are screwed up.
Perhaps all of us should collectively register a compliaint with Airtel....
Old 4th February 2012, 10:32   #4034
BHPian

Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101

It happens with most smartphones in bangalore if auto time zone is on. It happened with me in bangalore when i was using xperia x10 and also on my iphone 4s both on airtel. Time was 30 mins behind in bangalore in comparison to IST.
Thanks for the reply. This confirms that it is not handset issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang

Same problem here. I use Airtel in Bangalore. Looks like Airtel time servers in Bangalore are screwed up.
Perhaps all of us should collectively register a compliaint with Airtel....
Thank you also. Your reply once again confirms that this problem is more of a Service Provider's. Since, Mustang.101 also faced on his x10. It may be because Smart phones override, the service provider and try to find its own time zone, since we use location services.

By the way, I use Airtel. Should check out why Vodafone is exclusive. Just curious!! In any case, this is not a major issue.

I'm also using Galaxy Tab with Gingerbread. Is it possible for Multi-quote?
Initially, I tried to quote both of you, but failed.

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2012 at 13:51. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 4th February 2012, 12:50   #4035
Senior - BHPian

Why is 2G data more expensive than 3G data? (Is it because of all the money swindled by Raja/Radia and co? Just joking.). My 3G plan says 3p/10kb for 3G and 10p/10kb for 2G, why so. After getting used to 3G I find EDGE too slow. I have an iPhone 4 and coz of the battery drain issue I keep cellular data and 3G in off mode and switch it on only when necessary; I think most of the other guys would also be doing this that's why Viber, Fring, IM's aren't used as much as they should be.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 4th February 2012 at 12:57.

Most Viewed