Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2012, 21:50   #4111
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

I'm not too keen on buying an iPhone, but was considering an alternative to Android smartphones. I'm not that satisfied with the battery life of the Android smartphones that I have owned. Just thought of looking at alternatives and obviously iPhone came to my mind.
Old 1st March 2012, 21:55   #4112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I'm not too keen on buying an iPhone, but was considering an alternative to Android smartphones. I'm not that satisfied with the battery life of the Android smartphones that I have owned. Just thought of looking at alternatives and obviously iPhone came to my mind.
Depends on what you want, i chose an iphone because it looks kick-a$$ in white, and you get your apps free,(cydia, installous) and loads of customization options ! for example, i have a turbocharger instead of the traditional slide to unlock

Quote:
iPhone Guys,

I have been an Android user for almost 3 years and now considering to make the switch to iPhone. I would like to know from you iPhone 4S users, does the device have a good battery life? Would there be a new iPhone release this year? Would you guys recommend to go for the iPhone 4S?
The iphone 4s has nothing substantial for the price difference, addition processing power, not required, Siri wont work in India, 5 mp camera on iphone 4 is great, i dont see a reason why someone would buy it unless he lives in Usa.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 2nd March 2012 at 00:09. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 23:10   #4113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm a 'new' convert to the iPhone league, only when you use it you realise how it shines. I feel the camera does a decent enough job (was using the N8 before). I think its worth it. Here's a pic taken on iPhone 4 with Instagram.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-38ce0c3a425b11e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpg  

Old 1st March 2012, 23:12   #4114
BHPian

Is it! I never knew Siri does not work in India. I'm new to Apple and till date I have never owned any Apple products. I wanted to go for an iPhone just for its size. I'm not sure how good the battery in an iPhone lasts. But from my experience with Android smartphones, I have never found a decent phone with a good battery life. So what do you guys suggest? Go for the iPhone 4S?
Old 1st March 2012, 23:16   #4115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980
Is it! I never knew Siri does not work in India. I'm new to Apple and till date I have never owned any Apple products. I wanted to go for an iPhone just for its size. I'm not sure how good the battery in an iPhone lasts. But from my experience with Android smartphones, I have never found a decent phone with a good battery life. So what do you guys suggest? Go for the iPhone 4S?
Could someone post a link to confirm that Siri doesn't work in India? Sure it won't have information about restaurants nearby but it should still search the web for you, send replies to texts and schedule appointments.
Old 1st March 2012, 23:23   #4116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod332002

Could someone post a link to confirm that Siri doesn't work in India? Sure it won't have information about restaurants nearby but it should still search the web for you, send replies to texts and schedule appointments.
I have an iPhone 4S and Siri works very well in India. Of course it cannot find local addresses but otherwise it can set reminders, take notes and search the web for you.
Old 1st March 2012, 23:28   #4117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa

I have an iPhone 4S and Siri works very well in India. Of course it cannot find local addresses but otherwise it can set reminders, take notes and search the web for you.
Btw, I read that UK got a male voice for Siri. What about India?
Old 2nd March 2012, 02:11   #4118
BHPian

I switched from Nokia E series to iPhone 4G and its an amazingly smart phone.

Yes, i too agree that considering the price diff. in 4 and 4S, 4 is a better choice / vfm.

Siri has a 70:30 ratio of working with the Indian accent, but that should not be a reason to complain much as thats the case with all voice activation systems (even in case of our automobiles like Mahindra, Ford etc).

on Iphone, my office mails open up very cleanly and fast and even attachments opening of big size is also not an issue.

I am not a gadget freak and new to iPhone so let me know wat should be installed first and from where.
Old 2nd March 2012, 04:15   #4119
BHPian

Guys,

Can anyone comment on the ollowing post which was made on this website regarding the iPhone 4S?

25. I agree with you on a lot of things. I love Apple, but I thing the mistake people make a lot is to think that they can use the iphone for business.
It's just not efficient enough.
Do a little experiment and see how many steps it takes before you are in a position to take down someone's phone number.
Next, see if you can add a document to an email. No. You can go to your pictures and send one at a time only.
Send a proposal to a colleague, attach a business card to an existing email string, send your location, edit an existing appointment in your calender and propose a new time. These are all things i do on a daily basis, yet the iphone cannot do these things.
It's a good phone. It revolutionised the industry, but what is REALLY different from the iphone 1? Not a massive amount. It's time to move on. Android is catching up. And Blackberry is still the best business phone out there.

Source: iPhone 4S review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Mobile phones

I would as well be doing most of the tasks that are mentioned as above.

Are there good Navigation apps for iPhone?

Last edited by joe1980 : 2nd March 2012 at 04:45.
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:36   #4120

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980
Guys,

Can anyone comment on the ollowing post which was made on this website regarding the iPhone 4S?

25. I agree with you on a lot of things. I love Apple, but I thing the mistake people make a lot is to think that they can use the iphone for business.
Do a little experiment and see how many steps it takes before you are in a position to take down someone's phone number.
Next, see if you can add a document to an email. No. You can go to your pictures and send one at a time only.
Send a proposal to a colleague, attach a business card to an existing email string, send your location, edit an existing appointment in your calender and propose a new time. These are all things i do on a daily basis, yet the iphone cannot do these things.
It's a good phone. It revolutionised the industry, but what is REALLY different from the iphone 1? Not a massive amount. It's time to move on. Android is catching up. And Blackberry is still the best business phone out there.

You can do all if this and much much more if you jailbreak your iPhone!
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:51   #4121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

you can simply copy and paste 'n' No:Of Photos in a mail.
Still Bluetooth transfer of files is exorbitantly missed feature.
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:38   #4122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik

you can simply copy and paste 'n' No:Of Photos in a mail.
Still Bluetooth transfer of files is exorbitantly missed feature.
It's possible, but you need to jailbreak your phone and install Bluetooth apps from Cydia

Last edited by nkg77 : 2nd March 2012 at 10:39.
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:45   #4123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
It's possible, but you need to jailbreak your phone and install Bluetooth apps from Cydia
Yep, that i know. But I am talking about stock Phone.
Again, I am not very much interested in Jailbreak my Phone. Already my Brother had done Jailbreaking his iPhone4 earlier and we had installed almost all apps which is not supported by Stock iPhone4.
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:58   #4124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
just one click and take down on notes

Quote:
Doc no, pic you can send upto 4

Quote:
Second half can be done, seems like he reviewed older OS
Quote:
And Blackberry is still the best business phone out there.[/i]

Quote:
Yes, paid aps or like me be happy with google maps, never let me down in India.
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:17   #4125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Doc no, pic you can send upto 4
Make that 5 if you directly try sending from the photo album. If you copy-paste, then there is no limit as someone pointed earlier.

Most Viewed