Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2012, 12:25   #4246
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

The patch is about 177mb, but requires 1GB of empty space on the device. Why is that? It would not even download till there is 1GB empty space on the device.

MaSh
Old 9th March 2012, 12:56   #4247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
The patch is about 177mb, but requires 1GB of empty space on the device. Why is that? It would not even download till there is 1GB empty space on the device.

MaSh
I was amazed to see the size reduction once they started updates directly over the device. They seem to be using a better compression/de-compression techniques.

If you download the software from itunes then you would know the actual size of the file. I remember when I was doing 5.0, from itunes it was close 800MB or little more than that. After which I never did it through Itunes, any one used itunes for this upgrade can let know the actual size,

So, once the 177MB file is decompressed I think it needs 1GB (or slightly less than that) + it might as well need to backup things and then restore.

Last edited by raghu230506 : 9th March 2012 at 12:57. Reason: update
Old 9th March 2012, 13:06   #4248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post

MaSh
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
I was amazed to see the size reduction once they started updates directly over the device. They seem to be using a better compression/de-compression techniques.
=====
So, once the 177MB file is decompressed I think it needs 1GB (or slightly less than that) + it might as well need to backup things and then restore.
In device its incremental update that is being downloaded. Hence the file size is small, but for the install to happen i think free space is required for the update process where it will move the files in place etc. Where as in direct download the whole firmware is downloaded again with all the files updated.

The device update in my iPhone took longer time compared to the full update in my iPad by using the comp. I meant the process time in the device and not the download time.
Old 9th March 2012, 13:11   #4249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
In device its incremental update that is being downloaded. Hence the file size is small, but for the install to happen i think free space is required for the update process where it will move the files in place etc. Where as in direct download the whole firmware is downloaded again with all the files updated.

The device update in my iPhone took longer time compared to the full update in my iPad by using the comp. I meant the process time in the device and not the download time.
Thanks Jaggu,

+1 was just reading that the upgrades on the devices are DELTA (just the changes) and hence it's smaller in size.
Old 9th March 2012, 13:22   #4250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
>>>
mayankk,

Thank you - will check today.
Regards
Old 9th March 2012, 13:47   #4251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
, any one used itunes for this upgrade can let know the actual size,
Actual size for the 5.1 patch is 786 MB.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 15:17   #4252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Quote:
Thanks Jaggu,

+1 was just reading that the upgrades on the devices are DELTA (just the changes) and hence it's smaller in size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Actual size for the 5.1 patch is 786 MB.
I updated my iPhone via computer and the file size shown is 783mb.

The memory scenario was encountered while updating my iTouch over the wifi. Will try updating the iTouch tonight via computer and see if it works.

MaSh

Last edited by mashmash : 9th March 2012 at 15:20.
Old 9th March 2012, 20:02   #4253
BHPian

Does anyone else feel iOS 5.1 is zippier? Everything feels just a little bit faster to me. Or is that just a placebo effect?
Old 9th March 2012, 20:18   #4254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orko View Post
Does anyone else feel iOS 5.1 is zippier? Everything feels just a little bit faster to me. Or is that just a placebo effect?
It is faster than the earlier iteration and the battery management is far superior. Its not placebo for sure.
Old 9th March 2012, 21:11   #4255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orko
I too feel the same. I thought it's my perception. But a lot of people have felt the same means definitely some improvement is there.
Battery, need to check at least a week to come to a conclusion.
Old 9th March 2012, 21:39   #4256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik

I too feel the same. I thought it's my perception. But a lot of people have felt the same means definitely some improvement is there.
Battery, need to check at least a week to come to a conclusion.
Are u with factory unlocked phone or by any chance with a Gevey unlock. My gevey unlocked i4 not picking signals since few days and am just contemplating to giv a shot at upgrade to ios5 aswell and try a gevey UL
Old 9th March 2012, 21:41   #4257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter

Are u with factory unlocked phone or by any chance with a Gevey unlock. My gevey unlocked i4 not picking signals since few days and am just contemplating to giv a shot at upgrade to ios5 aswell and try a gevey UL
Mine is Factory Unlocked one.
Old 9th March 2012, 23:23   #4258
Senior - BHPian

I feel the battery lasts better after the upgrade to iOS5.1. What say?
Old 9th March 2012, 23:54   #4259
BHPian

Faster a little bit. What I noticed is that the double tap to zoom in is better now, more fluid. Its also catches the lost signal quicker now. How I know? Apt parking is in the basement and my flat is on the third floor. Earlier it never caught the signal till I was in front on my door, going up in the lift. Today, it had a bar as soon as the lift reached the third floor.
Old 10th March 2012, 00:55   #4260
BHPian

I just have my iPhone 4S 32 GB since 3 days. Would you guys recommend an upgrade to iOS 5.1? Reading from your experiences, looks like update is the way to go.

Most Viewed