Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2012, 10:59   #4351
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

One unknown stranger has stolen my Iphone4, Lava A10 and a Nokia E75. I complained to police and i locked the iphone through I cloud. Is there any chances of getting back. I gave the IMEI numbers of Iphone and Lava but I don't have Nokia's E75. Pl let me know. I did not wipe through i cloud. If I don't get back I have to go for new phones. Time being using a cheap basic Nokia dual SIM phone.
Old 24th March 2012, 11:05   #4352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49
One unknown stranger has stolen my Iphone4
Were you not using "Find my iPhone"?
Old 24th March 2012, 12:16   #4353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49
One unknown stranger has stolen my Iphone4, Lava A10 and a Nokia E75. I complained to police and i locked the iphone through I cloud. Is there any chances of getting back. I gave the IMEI numbers of Iphone and Lava but I don't have Nokia's E75. Pl let me know. I did not wipe through i cloud. If I don't get back I have to go for new phones. Time being using a cheap basic Nokia dual SIM phone.
Sad that you lost it. Immediately delete the data, if you have your passwords and details in the smart one, you can easily restore it if you get it back.

You can locate your iPhone by using the app Find my iPhone. Have you registered it? You can keep on locking and erasing the data from cell phone whenever it is ONline. You can send an SMS and notification to the cellphone so that no one gets duped, I am sure the their will not want to use it as iPod. Send a bounty message, hopefully you will get it back.
Old 24th March 2012, 17:38   #4354
Senior - BHPian

I have changed all my pass words stored in the Iphone. I used i cloud to find my phone.Sent message and sound alert. I Locked that too. I follow up with i Cloud. It is more than a month it did not come alive or shown the area it was found. Can it be unlocked or will it be used as paper weight. I gave a complaint to Police.But so far no news. Thanks for both of your suggestions.

Last edited by navan49 : 24th March 2012 at 17:39.
Old 24th March 2012, 17:59   #4355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Sad that you lost it. Immediately delete the data, if you have your passwords and details in the smart one, you can easily restore it if you get it back.

You can locate your iPhone by using the app Find my iPhone. Have you registered it? You can keep on locking and erasing the data from cell phone whenever it is ONline. You can send an SMS and notification to the cellphone so that no one gets duped, I am sure the their will not want to use it as iPod. Send a bounty message, hopefully you will get it back.
This would work as long as the person does not perform a restore.
Experienced the same a couple of months ago with dad's iPhone 4.
Old 24th March 2012, 19:12   #4356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani

This would work as long as the person does not perform a restore.
Experienced the same a couple of months ago with dad's iPhone 4.
IMHO, Once you remote lock the phone, the thief either spends a lot of time figuring out the code or can only switch off, I don't see how reset is done if not using the internal software. Hardware wise, there isn't much he can reset unless he goes to Jailbreak etc. which I am not aware.
Old 24th March 2012, 21:55   #4357
BHPian

Quote:
IMHO, Once you remote lock the phone, the thief either spends a lot of time figuring out the code or can only switch off, I don't see how reset is done if not using the internal software. Hardware wise, there isn't much he can reset unless he goes to Jailbreak etc. which I am not aware.
Switching if off is good enough. Once he reaches his boss (assumption) all that has to be done is get the phone in DFU mode and find a PC.

If anyone jailbreaks their iPhone, a sincere request, get iCaughtU from Cydia.
It won't let the thief switch off the phone unless he knows how to put it in DFU/Recovery. You do need a pin for that tough.
It might give one a fighting chance to find the phone.
Old 24th March 2012, 22:06   #4358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani
It might give one a fighting chance to find the phone.
and those who don't have jail broken ones? I guess apple didn't think this one through
Old 24th March 2012, 22:08   #4359
BHPian

Quote:
and those who don't have jail broken ones? I guess apple didn't think this one through
Nope they didn't.
Should've been tracking based on IMEI not Apple ID.
Old 25th March 2012, 18:18   #4360
Senior - BHPian

My iphone is not found through the finder till date.Now I am getting a new 4S from Hong kong billed in the name of my friend. I want to insure the mobile. Can I insure that in India. It has no warranty in India. If it can be insured then what will be the premium per annum.In case if we loose will the insurance company give compensation as per bill.Please clarify and it will help other members too. Can we insure with domestic appliances or as risk burglary insurance.
Old 25th March 2012, 20:32   #4361
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
My iphone is not found through the finder till date.Now I am getting a new 4S from Hong kong billed in the name of my friend. I want to insure the mobile. Can I insure that in India. It has no warranty in India. If it can be insured then what will be the premium per annum.In case if we loose will the insurance company give compensation as per bill.Please clarify and it will help other members too. Can we insure with domestic appliances or as risk burglary insurance.
Navan49, I sympathise with the loss of your IP.

Insurance companies always ask for invoices/bills in the name of the insured i.e. you. It is used as proof of ownership. So please check if your pal in HK can get the bill in your name.

As for how much premium or cost of insurance and related paper work - you will need to check with the insurance company. Please clearly specify to them that the phone was purchased abroad. Once insured and if you lose the phone, insurance companies should pay you per the invoice value. Please check all these aspects and read the insurance company's fine print before you get your phone from HK..it's a major pain to buy from abroad nowadays.

In India, there's quite literally no hope of getting a lost/stolen phone back. Please be careful, always.

Cheers!
Old 25th March 2012, 20:49   #4362
Senior - BHPian

R2D2,
It has been ordered and delivered in the name of my friend. No way of changing the bill on my name. The reason was that in Hong Kong they were not physically selling, when I was there. They sell only online and needed an ID of the Hong Kong Government. I do agree with you about the problems of purchasing from abroad. I did not have any service problem with IMAC and Macbook because they have international warranty. Apple products have killing price in India and Iphone with 32Gb is priced 54000. Where as I got for 36 there.So we can take the risk to buy another one with the saving.Except apple products I never buy other products.

Last edited by navan49 : 25th March 2012 at 20:50.
Old 25th March 2012, 21:15   #4363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
R2D2,
It has been ordered and delivered in the name of my friend. No way of changing the bill on my name. The reason was that in Hong Kong they were not physically selling, when I was there. They sell only online and needed an ID of the Hong Kong Government. I do agree with you about the problems of purchasing from abroad. I did not have any service problem with IMAC and Macbook because they have international warranty. Apple products have killing price in India and Iphone with 32Gb is priced 54000. Where as I got for 36 there.So we can take the risk to buy another one with the saving.Except apple products I never buy other products.
In that case you need to check with the insurance company if they can insure a mobile phone that is on someone elses name. Do let us know if and how the insurance works out, as it can help others buying phones abroad.
Old 25th March 2012, 21:57   #4364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis

>>>

Bought and downloaded Sygic.
Will test it in a live situation soon, on a Bombay - Bangalore drive.

Regards
>>>
Update : will use Sygic when I approach Bangalore ( near Neeramangala or thereabouts) to experience it live. The NH4 from Bombay to Bangalore seems fairly straightforward and Google Maps is well on top of things when I go online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r

>>>
Unfortunately the Find my iPhone works only with a sister Apple product. Archetypal walled garden approach. Bad for me
Regards

Last edited by Vid6639 : 26th March 2012 at 08:41. Reason: merging posts. Please use edit option if posting within 30mins.
Old 26th March 2012, 10:49   #4365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post

Unfortunately the Find my iPhone works only with a sister Apple product. Archetypal walled garden approach. Bad for me
Regards
That exactly in the lines of closed source products. Even I tried to install Find my iPhone on my IP4S, but later learned that I can use it only with another Apple product.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), the IP4S is the only Apple product that I own. I initially thought of buying the iPad 3 but later decided not to. I'm not inclined to a Mac Book as I'm pretty much comfortable with my Ubuntu.

Most Viewed