Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2012, 17:54   #4336
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi,

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but... I have an iPhone 4 which, a friend got for me from Australia. Right now, one of the phones loud speakers are not working, and is crackling. I think I have warranty.

So: Will I be able to repair it from Bangalore? Or will I have to pay for the repairs?
hey Dhanush - remember the fizz sound i was referring to earlier, it just got worse with the 5.1 upgrade. earlier it used to happen only with the message sent sound, now it happens (randomly) with almost every notification; even the click sound when you use the power button.

do you think this is a hardware problem? should i contact Apple folks (or whoever)?
Old 19th March 2012, 18:57   #4337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis

>>>

Sn1p3r,

Why so? Is it due to better call quality in the Nokia, assuming the network coverage is the same? I seem to experience better call quality with the 4S vis-avis the E71 in a place with terrible coverage.

Regards
It is due to my usage, I spend awful amount of time talking on Bluetooth headset (that's about 5 hours work time), and the usage maps/FB/twitter ate battery like hot cakes. Wife took it at first opportunity and I use Nokia C5. Although to check the withdrawal symptoms I use iPod touch for majority of things handy, iPad for all the computing needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK

hey Dhanush - remember the fizz sound i was referring to earlier, it just got worse with the 5.1 upgrade. earlier it used to happen only with the message sent sound, now it happens (randomly) with almost every notification; even the click sound when you use the power button.

do you think this is a hardware problem? should i contact Apple folks (or whoever)?
My iPad does not make a sound, it made sound for few days but after using VLC(now off iTunes) it stopped making those notification sounds. The deal is that you reset it every time. I am happy, alarms do not sound as intended ( the app has to run in foreground while it sleeps else no sound.)
Now interestingly these do not happen in iPod with same iOS version.

Another reason that the sound get distorted (not crackling) is that many app are running in background and memory is low. Try to close as many apps and see if it occurs again. Mine gets back to shape pretty quickly. iOS 5.1 still needs work and hopefully there will be an upgrade in next quarter.

Cheers!
Old 19th March 2012, 23:36   #4338
BHPian

I just purchased the Tom Tom iPhone Navigation app. I'm pretty much satisfied with the navigation it provides. Just to test it, I tried navigating to home from my office which is just 1.2 km. Deliberately I took alternative routes and the Tom Tom app recognized it very quickly and calculated the alternative routes. I now have to look for a car kit with which I can mount my IP4S on to the car. Overall, I'm pretty much satisfied with the navigation so far and convinced that I do not need an additional navigation device when on the car.
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:30   #4339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
hey Dhanush - remember the fizz sound i was referring to earlier, it just got worse with the 5.1 upgrade.
---------
Is it fizz or oingg kind of echo? If so kill all apps and restart, it should be fine.

An interesting fact about iPhone mic while at facetime or handsfree mode iClarified - Apple News - Are You Talking Into the Wrong Microphone During FaceTime/Speakerphone Calls?

Also iPhone has only 1 speaker, they have made a mistake in the article, it's two mikes and one speaker.
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:51   #4340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Is it fizz or oingg kind of echo? If so kill all apps and restart, it should be fine.
its a fizz and it just got worse after the 5.1 upgrade. two days back i connected my Jabra Extreme and guess what, i don't get the fizz for the notifications. i can hear the notification sounds clearly on my Jabra Extreme. however, disconnect it and the fizz is back.

i've restarted the phone many times and with no applications running (killed every one of them) the fizz is still there.

Quote:
An interesting fact about iPhone mic while at facetime or handsfree mode iClarified - Apple News - Are You Talking Into the Wrong Microphone During FaceTime/Speakerphone Calls?

Also iPhone has only 1 speaker, they have made a mistake in the article, it's two mikes and one speaker.
i thought the two eleptical thingys at the bottom were speakers!

quite frankly, the speakerphone mode sucks on my iP4!
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:53   #4341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I just purchased the Tom Tom iPhone Navigation app. I now have to look for a car kit with which I can mount my IP4S on to the car.
>>>

Bought and downloaded Sygic.
Will test it in a live situation soon, on a Bombay - Bangalore drive.

Regards
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:09   #4342
Senior - BHPian

i've a question - after i connected my Jabra Extreme to my iP4 i got this Bluetooth symbol on the notification area, but there's something next to it (i presume it shows that the Bluetooth headset is connected) and it shows something of a level indicator. is it showing the battery level of the Bluetooth headset?
Name:  IMG_1184.PNG
Views: 707
Size:  123.7 KB
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:32   #4343
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

Bought and downloaded Sygic.
Will test it in a live situation soon, on a Bombay - Bangalore drive.

Regards
Does this or any GPS have live traffic updates?

Edit: Has anyone successfully unlocked iPhone 4S? Im planning to get Gevey.

Last edited by F50 : 22nd March 2012 at 12:37.
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:48   #4344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
Does this or any GPS have live traffic updates?

Edit: Has anyone successfully unlocked iPhone 4S? Im planning to get Gevey.
>>>

Sygic's traffic update is disabled for India.

No idea about other GPS, although Google Maps calculates driving time including/factoring the traffic, I am not sure as to whether they provide/re-calculate using live traffic updates.

Regards
Old 22nd March 2012, 13:01   #4345
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
is it showing the battery level of the Bluetooth headset?
Attachment 905901
Yup i think it is the battery level indicator for the Blue tooth device.
Old 22nd March 2012, 14:35   #4346
BHPian

Quote:
Yup i think it is the battery level indicator for the Blue tooth device.

Yup, it works the same with Jawbone icon, iPhone is pre-configured for them.
With Jaw-bone icon the battery meter is obviously there but it also gets separate icon on iPhone screen to stream music to Jawbone.
Jawbone is awesome, my icon connects to both my BB bold and iPhone together and manages call on the both the phones simultaneously, more over i have sygic installed on my iPhone and i route the sygic audio to Jawbone icon Bluetooth and thus not disturbing the music and other people with the voice guidance.
thanks to my Arabic friend who gifted me.
Old 22nd March 2012, 20:25   #4347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
hey Dhanush - remember the fizz sound i was referring to earlier, it just got worse with the 5.1 upgrade.
I still think its a software issue. As if it were a hardware issue, it should be consistent, and in my case, its NOT.

Also, I think this: points out to that.

Quote:
i connected my Jabra Extreme and guess what, i don't get the fizz for the notifications.
Quote:
Jaggu, isn't the two elliptical ones at the bottom two speakers? I think yes, as I can hear from both, and one of mine is damaged, and only crackles nowadays.
Old 23rd March 2012, 00:43   #4348
BHPian

Did a test drive of my IP4S with Tom Tom Navi app. Actually I bought a bi cycle for my wife and I decided to drive it back home from the shop which is about 10 km. Started the navigation app and entered the start and destination and selected bi-cycle route as option. Initially it struggled to get a proper GPS connection, but once it had it, it continued like a gem and it took me thorough the routes where the traffic is ideal for a bi-cycle to be driven.

I'm pretty satisfied with the device and the app so far. I would later put it to test on a long distance car drive.
Old 23rd March 2012, 09:24   #4349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs
Jaggu, isn't the two elliptical ones at the bottom two speakers? I think yes, as I can hear from both, and one of mine is damaged, and only crackles nowadays.
No there is only one speaker, and its the right one, the other one is MIC. Iphone only had one speaker from day 1 across the models.

Last edited by raghu230506 : 23rd March 2012 at 09:27.
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:30   #4350
Senior - BHPian

I've been duped! Ow the pain..

Btw, any ideas why the speaker output is so low on the iP4? Even with the volume at max I've to keep the phone near my ear. The workaround is to use the headphones an share the speakers :rl

Most Viewed