Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2012, 12:33   #4201
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

anyone facing unstable wifi connections? ive noticed it only after updating to iOS 5. Whats the solution?
Old 7th March 2012, 14:42   #4202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
anyone facing unstable wifi connections? ive noticed it only after updating to iOS 5. Whats the solution?
I have an iPhone 3GS running iOS 5.0.1 and I never faced any issues with wifi connections. Which version of iOS have you installed on your phone? May be you can try resetting your "network settings".
Old 7th March 2012, 14:52   #4203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Which model is yours? I am on IP4 and constantly on wifi at home and office. No issues at all.

On another note, I was looking for an app through which I could connect to my office IM which is MS Lync. After some hunting found a free app, Fuze Messenger https://fuzebox.com/fuzemessenger/iphone.html. It seamlessly connected to my IM, pulled in the contact list, shows the status, allows me to change my status, etc. It can also be used to connect to Yahoo, Gtalk, AOL, etc. Any one using any other app for this purpose?

MaSh
Old 7th March 2012, 15:02   #4204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
My first ever mobile phone was Siemens ME 45. It was as sturdy as it could be and it served me for about 4 years and I used it to its limit.

Back to IP4S. Is there a way I can use a weather app which I could set as my home screen? Is the home screen customizable?

Is there a way to buy apps from the app store without a credit card? I do not have any credit card with me. But I would like to buy the Navigon app. Any alternative means of payment?
>>>

Why does iTunes ask for credit card details for free apps, such as the Apple version of t-bhp? Most of us in India will be extremely reluctant to share such info. Any way out?

Regards
Old 7th March 2012, 15:07   #4205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

Why does iTunes ask for credit card details for free apps, such as the Apple version of t-bhp? Most of us in India will be extremely reluctant to share such info. Any way out?

Regards
This is one of the verification process, but it can be bypassed easily. I have been using CC on iTunes for last 3-4 years and never had an issue.

You can set up without CC also Creating an iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store account without a credit card
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 21:41   #4206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Which model is yours? I am on IP4 and constantly on wifi at home and office. No issues at all.

On another note, I was looking for an app through which I could connect to my office IM which is MS Lync. After some hunting found a free app, Fuze Messenger https://fuzebox.com/fuzemessenger/iphone.html. It seamlessly connected to my IM, pulled in the contact list, shows the status, allows me to change my status, etc. It can also be used to connect to Yahoo, Gtalk, AOL, etc. Any one using any other app for this purpose?

MaSh
Hey you can use the iPhone version of Lync itself App Store - Microsoft Lync 2010 for iPhone I am using this app and it works fine, it even has push notifications, so you need not even have to login to the Lync app always.
Old 7th March 2012, 22:35   #4207
Senior - BHPian

anybody know if there's an app for MS Office Communicator for iPhone? or is there an app (like say IM+) using which we can use MOC?
Old 8th March 2012, 00:02   #4208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
Hey you can use the iPhone version of Lync itself App Store - Microsoft Lync 2010 for iPhone I am using this app and it works fine, it even has push notifications, so you need not even have to login to the Lync app always.
Yes, tried, does not work for me. Error Message says, that I am not configured and should contact the Support. Tried all possible options, no luck. Liked FUZE though, can use my yahoo and gtalk ids on it too. It queues up all messages if the app is not open.

MaSh
Old 8th March 2012, 00:29   #4209
BHPian

Any idea on good offline maps with the functionality what google map provides where I can give a start and end and it shows me the walking distance along with the route?
Old 8th March 2012, 00:55   #4210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The screen is available in grey market and online. You can repair it or if you have insurance, try that route. Screen cost couple of thousands. Find a mobile guy who can handle it. Also next time get a bumper guard, last week I dropped mine twice and was saved by these. Guard has minor scratches. That's it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
The screen can be changed, it costed my friend 3k, NFC market. As Jaggu mentioned, do take it to your retailer first. If they charge more then do PM me, I will send you the guy's number. Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
It would be the touch screen that would have shattered? Not the LCD. You should get it replaced. My Motorola Defy had the same issue. But the touch glass replaced is not air tight and some dust has gone onto the LCD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
That is really sad :(

Didnt you have a protective cover on the phone? DO let us know on how much did you have to spend for repairs and the performance post-repairs.

I have a peculiar problem .While the wall charger needs less than a hour to charge from 10% to 100% ,the car charger that I bought from one of the Apple Imagine stores takes ages to charge my phone . I see that it charges just about 10% during a 30 minutes drive . My Blackberry car charger was much better .

Anyone else has any inputs on this ?
Thank You guys for the suggestions
After reading your suggestions I had 2 options

First : Get the screen replaced . As I mentioned before I stay in Delhi so only place where you can get this done is Gaffar Market . So I took my phone to Gaffar , there I was quoted 5500 Rs for "Original" Screen . Now no offense to anybody but this place is kind of shady plus I was not very sure about the workmanship so i simply walked away.

Second : Option was to take it to Apple authorized service station , there I was told that in India , Apple is not repairing any iPhones they simply replace it. Since it was a physical damage which is not covered under warranty , they gave me an option to get my phone replaced by paying around 11200 Rs .
By paying 11200 Rs what you get is a "Replacement" phone which they say is not refurbished nor new , They don't come box packed and you don't get any accessories .

So after weighing all my options I went back to Gaffar Market and sold my phone for 35K in "as is" condition . Then went back to iStore and picked a brand new iPhone 4S 16GB White by adding 9500 Rs . And yeah also bought a Capdase case from iStore itself .

I was offered Box packed iPhone with B&W for 40,000 in Gaffar . Now I don't understand that how they sell it so cheap . Also what will they do with my phone which they bought for 35K , even if they spend 3k on the repairs, the cost will be 38k and phone won't be having any warranty on it since it is opened for repairs. When they are selling new ones with B&W for 40k who will buy a month old repaired phone for that price. That is why that place looks dicey to me.

PS : Dropped my phone again today morning though it was in case this time.
Old 8th March 2012, 00:59   #4211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980
Any idea on good offline maps with the functionality what google map provides where I can give a start and end and it shows me the walking distance along with the route?
Sygic Maps come close to what you might be looking for.
But what I don't get is that google maps hardly has any features. Why would you want something like it?
Old 8th March 2012, 01:12   #4212
BHPian

I tried installing a couple of Map applications specifically offline maps. But none of them has tie directions feature that Google Maps has. The Sygic is a navigation app. But what I want is just a city specific directions map where I can give the start and end destinations and the map shows me the route. Important is that it does this offline.
Old 8th March 2012, 02:03   #4213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I tried installing a couple of Map applications specifically offline maps. But none of them has tie directions feature that Google Maps has. The Sygic is a navigation app. But what I want is just a city specific directions map where I can give the start and end destinations and the map shows me the route. Important is that it does this offline.
Mods, sorry for chaining my post. Just for the info, I have found ForEverMap to do exactly what I wanted.
Old 8th March 2012, 12:08   #4214
BHPian

iOS 5.1 is out with a host of new features. And yes like every time apple servers are choked.
Old 8th March 2012, 12:14   #4215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi
iOS 5.1 is out with a host of new features. And yes like every time apple servers are choked.
Yeah, my iOS devices started auto update and are stuck for server response. But I am loving the new software.

I am yet to try making my iPad a wifi hotspot. I hope it works on iPad 2 on reliance. That will be such a boon for me.

Off topic: I don't think new iPad apart from the retina display has anything else I might need for next 1 year so sticking with my lovely muse the iPad 2.

Most Viewed