Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2012, 13:19   #4291
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed kills View Post
Guys, another way to extend battery life is by ending all applications that might be running in the background.

To do this:
1. Double click on the "Home" button (multitasking).

2. On doing so, all the contents of the screen move up.

3. You now get to see all the app that are running in the background.
4. By holding down any of these apps for more than a second, a "minimize"
symbol in a "Red" circle appears at the corner of each app.
5. Hit this symbol to end all "Running" apps. Until you reach this:

In my opinion, the battery last upto 40% longer ie. 3-4 hours longer.
Good tips speed kills.

Here's one more:

Those who have upgraded to IOS 5.1 - Apple have once again provided a 3G 'switch'. Those IP owners not having a 3G connection can use this to experience better battery life. When 3G is on, the phone searches for UMTS connections with your provider.

Folks with 3G connections can switch off 3G when battery is low and they are without a charger and/or USB cable (to charge thru a USB port) handy. It will provide you with just that much more battery life, helpful till you get to a charger.
Old 12th March 2012, 17:05   #4292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
There is something wrong with your phone's battery. I have a 3GS running iOS 5.0.1, I easily get a standby time of 48 hours if used sparingly. With heavy usage the phone runs for about 12 hours.
Thats my pet peeve as well. I am getting better battery life from my 2.5 years old iPhone 3GS than my week old iPhone 4s. They are both on iOS 5.0.1 and this leads me to think that this has nothing to do with the software.
Another thing is how have review website got their numbers from the iPhone 4s?

Last edited by extreme_torque : 12th March 2012 at 17:06.
Old 12th March 2012, 18:00   #4293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed kills View Post
Guys, another way to extend battery life is by ending all applications that might be running in the background.
iOS allows only few applications to truly run in the background. All other applications are frozen when they go into background. So strictly speaking, you will get some benefit only if you close specific applications like Mail, Music, Skype, GPS apps, etc.

If you are interested, check this link for more details: iOS: Understanding multitasking

However, closing all applications has a benefit: It frees up memory!
Old 12th March 2012, 18:27   #4294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
iOS allows only few applications to truly run in the background. All other applications are frozen when they go into background. So strictly speaking, you will get some benefit only if you close specific applications like Mail, Music, Skype, GPS apps, etc.
I could be wrong too nileshch.

The only reason I said what I said was coz, after I started closing all these "Running" apps, my battery life has increased by a significant amount.
Old 12th March 2012, 18:53   #4295
BHPian

Hi All,

I have just got my IPhone 4S 16 GB , I was an android users ( galaxy 3) . Phone looks amazing . But why do i need to snyc ( Itunes) ever time to upload movies and songs ?

Already updated to IOS 5.1

Please share tips
1) regarding adding icons in lock screen .
2) free SMS filtering

PS I got it for 34 K from Singapure ( sim free version)

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 12th March 2012 at 18:55.
Old 12th March 2012, 19:11   #4296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed kills

I could be wrong too nileshch.

The only reason I said what I said was coz, after I started closing all these "Running" apps, my battery life has increased by a significant amount.
Might be placebo, I have friends' kids open up all the apps and they didn't know why the speed was slow, never the battery was short. iOS uses the top apps to use memory rest are in hibernation; no battery usage but memory usage.

Did you manage the brightness control? Remember the retina display uses more power.

@kool kid: nice deal. I don't think apple has lock screen app addition and free SMS filtering software app. You might need to jailbreak it.

Last edited by Sn1p3r : 12th March 2012 at 19:14.
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 22:22   #4297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Thats my pet peeve as well. I am getting better battery life from my 2.5 years old iPhone 3GS than my week old iPhone 4s. They are both on iOS 5.0.1 and this leads me to think that this has nothing to do with the software.
Another thing is how have review website got their numbers from the iPhone 4s?
That is obvious because of the dual core processor with the IP4S. I'm wondering how the IP5 which is due this July cope up with the battery life with the device claiming to be having a quad core processor. I get a battery life of 48 hours with my IP4S with very little usage.
Old 14th March 2012, 23:10   #4298
BHPian

I just found this interesting link that compares all the famous Navigation apps for the iPhone 4S.

iPhone Navigation App Comparison Chart

That was exactly what I was looking for before making a purchase.
Old 15th March 2012, 20:16   #4299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I just found this interesting link that compares all the famous Navigation apps for the iPhone 4S.

iPhone Navigation App Comparison Chart

That was exactly what I was looking for before making a purchase.
Nice find.

But how many of these apps (Garmin, Magellan for e.g.) have India maps?
IFAIK except for Sygic and Navigon that use MMI and Navteq (same as Garmin PNDs and Nokia phones) respectively, I do not see others supporting India.

Are there others?
Old 16th March 2012, 19:53   #4300
BHPian

Hi all

I just got a iPhone 4S in delhi. I have a vodafone corporate post paid connection. What dataplan do you guys recommend. I am vary of 3g due to billing issues i have heard about. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Elito
Old 16th March 2012, 19:57   #4301
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Hi all

I just got a iPhone 4S in delhi. I have a vodafone corporate post paid connection. What dataplan do you guys recommend. I am vary of 3g due to billing issues i have heard about. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Elito
I dont know about vodafone, but airtel has shield 3g plans, where there is a cap on how high your bill can go.
I have never hit it, but I can say that even with heavy usage, Ive not been able to exceed 2.5-3 gb.
look for something in 3g for 1-2GB.

Youll never go back, trust me.
Old 16th March 2012, 20:05   #4302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I dont know about vodafone, but airtel has shield 3g plans, where there is a cap on how high your bill can go.
I have never hit it, but I can say that even with heavy usage, Ive not been able to exceed 2.5-3 gb.
look for something in 3g for 1-2GB.

Youll never go back, trust me.
Thanks mate. I will explore 3G options as well. Shield plans sound like a sensible option!

Also this is my first apple product. so how do i go about putting songs in this box
Old 16th March 2012, 21:55   #4303
BHPian

You cannot root your device like in Android. You've got to install iTunes on your PC and import all your songs into iTunes and synch your iTunes from your PC to your IP4S.
Old 17th March 2012, 13:55   #4304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
You cannot root your device like in Android. You've got to install iTunes on your PC and import all your songs into iTunes and synch your iTunes from your PC to your IP4S.
Thanks mate Also guys any suggestions for basic free apps i must install. Till now i have only installed FB and twitter free apps.

Thanks!
Old 17th March 2012, 14:07   #4305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11

Thanks mate Also guys any suggestions for basic free apps i must install. Till now i have only installed FB and twitter free apps.

Thanks!
There are so many free apps, search the App store. I can suggest a few, Fring, Viber, Google Latitude, Shazam, Google+, Linkedin, Opera Mini.

Most Viewed