Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2011, 23:19   #2791
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread !!! Update: iOS 4.3.3 out !

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I use the Otter Box Defender case - ~US$ 60 with shipping & handling. Its the best if you want to protect your IP4 albeit at the cost of adding bulk. OB has other cases that you could consider. Check them out.
Thanks for the reply! I checked out their site and case looks mighty solid. Not really keen on adding so much bulk to the phone, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
iPhone bumper is good enough to protect your handset and looks good too.
Thanks! Not a fan of the bumpers, although they look stylish! Want something that covers the back.
__

Been looking around and pretty much narrowed it down to the 'SwitchEasy Nude UltraClear'. A basic transparent hard case that's really thin (just 1mm). The price is good, at around 20$. Will probably pick it up tomorrow. I can post a initial ownership report on it for the benefit of fellow Iphone using BHPians
Old 21st February 2011, 13:11   #2792
BHPian

Bit off topic. Wanted to let folks know that ICICI has released an app for iphone and android for mobile banking. I don't like the UI, though I see bulk of features are available use. Note that its available on Indian app store
Old 21st February 2011, 13:14   #2793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorting bull View Post
Bit off topic. Wanted to let folks know that ICICI has released an app for iphone and android for mobile banking. I don't like the UI, though I see bulk of features are available use. Note that its available on Indian app store
I have been using this app in iPhone for the last 4 months. The app is good use for emergency transactions.
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:13   #2794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
He got it thro! Walmart from some source and unlocked it by at&t itself.
But i am not 100% sure.
I'll check with him clearly and post here ASAP.
Karthik,

As far as i know, the US phones are not unloacked. I have an iPhone 4 as well which was bought from the Apple store in US. However, when my friend bought it, he was informed that it an unlocked piece and will work anywhere.
After it reached India, its not working on any SIM card. It has the AT&T sim and works only with that. The only option you have is to jailbreak it. unfortunately, there is no unlock for 2.10 or 3.10 basebands, so like me , most likely you would have to wait as well.

Initially, even i thought that there might be a mistake but i read somewhere on the net that AT&T has refused to unlock iphones which are locked. Any iphone bought in the US would be locked. the worst part is that my friend who picked it up for me paid about $730 for this piece which would be about 2-3k cheaper than the Indian iphone 4 price (ebay).
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:00   #2795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail.jaiswal View Post
Karthik,

As far as i know, the US phones are not unloacked. I have an iPhone 4 as well which was bought from the Apple store in US. However, when my friend bought it, he was informed that it an unlocked piece and will work anywhere.
After it reached India, its not working on any SIM card. It has the AT&T sim and works only with that. The only option you have is to jailbreak it. unfortunately, there is no unlock for 2.10 or 3.10 basebands, so like me , most likely you would have to wait as well.

Initially, even i thought that there might be a mistake but i read somewhere on the net that AT&T has refused to unlock iphones which are locked. Any iphone bought in the US would be locked. the worst part is that my friend who picked it up for me paid about $730 for this piece which would be about 2-3k cheaper than the Indian iphone 4 price (ebay).
Any iPhones sold in the US will always be locked. If they claim to be unlocked, they could be contract-free which is not the same as an unlocked phone. You will need to jailbreak it for it to work on other networks.

A factory unlocked iphone 4 would cost more than $730 on ebay India. $730 could be for the unlocked version which will work on any network but maybe locked to a particular firmware. I booked a factory unlocked iPhone4 through ebay India. Still awaiting delivery.

The difference between "unlocked" and "factory unlocked" iphones could vary by upto 5K INR on ebay.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 22nd February 2011 at 17:04.
Old 22nd February 2011, 21:25   #2796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Any iPhones sold in the US will always be locked. If they claim to be unlocked, they could be contract-free which is not the same as an unlocked phone. You will need to jailbreak it for it to work on other networks.
There is an easy way out. Just get international roaming activated and they will unlock the phone for you.
Old 23rd February 2011, 00:02   #2797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
There is an easy way out. Just get international roaming activated and they will unlock the phone for you.
Does it work? I am looking at different ways to get it.
Old 23rd February 2011, 08:45   #2798
Senior - BHPian

It worked for me. They have to unlock it for roaming to work outside N.A.
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:52   #2799
BHPian

Quote:
Does it work that way? To activate Int'l roaming, you would need to opt for AT&T service. Right? Then if you do get it unlocked, what about the contract cancellation fee? Or am I missing something here?

Also, can you upgrade the firmware on your phone? Or will it be locked to the current version?

Last edited by fuel_addict : 23rd February 2011 at 10:53.
Old 23rd February 2011, 13:39   #2800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Does it work that way? To activate Int'l roaming, you would need to opt for AT&T service. Right? Then if you do get it unlocked, what about the contract cancellation fee? Or am I missing something here?
Yes you need to be on a AT&T plan, plan can be suspended for maximum 6 months or you will need to enable international roaming.

If you want to terminate since you re moving overseas, it will take lots of followup to terminate the account ultimately you will have to pay ETF equivalent to iPhone subsidy.
Old 23rd February 2011, 13:50   #2801
BHPian

Quote:
Yes you need to be on a AT&T plan, plan can be suspended for maximum 6 months or you will need to enable international roaming.

If you want to terminate since you re moving overseas, it will take lots of followup to terminate the account ultimately you will have to pay ETF equivalent to iPhone subsidy.
So basically its a short term fix, not a permanent one. Not practical for someone who is going to be based outside the US.
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:34   #2802
Senior - BHPian

Yes, this will only get it unlocked but it will have to remain on contract.
Old 23rd February 2011, 15:01   #2803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail.jaiswal View Post
Karthik,

But my Friend bought 2 unlocked iPhone4 at the same time.
Still his handset is working with Airtel,Chennai SIM Card.
Mine has the problem,that too he can unlock with the help of at&t.
Still it's not happened once it's done,i'll update here.
Old 23rd February 2011, 23:01   #2804
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If you are using a different APN currently, as in the data plan is different, you can either use this site and choose the manual entry OR download the iPhone Configuration utility and create whatever profile you want and then install it. EDIT: I think portalnmms apn has proxy setting and all, which is best configured using configuration utility which is a free download.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post
This is the correct APN, no worries.
Thanks a lot Anmol and Jaggu. Got my VMC activated today and it's awesome to have a VFM data plan on my iPhone4!
Old 23rd February 2011, 23:46   #2805
AWD
BHPian

Im using iphone 3gs with version 4.1(8B117). Should I upgrade it to 4.2.1 & how to carry it out as a DIY job?

Edit: I got it unlocked locally.

Last edited by AWD : 24th February 2011 at 00:11.

Most Viewed