Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2011, 11:58   #3541
BANNED

Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

guys i had a query...

i use the the Safari on my iphone 3G. But since the last few days after i search something in google and once i get the results when i click on "Options" i only see 2 options... Cached and Similar. I can't see the "Mobile Formatted" option anymore.

Can someone guide me as to how can i get the "Mobile Formatted" Option back ? I am on 4.1 version.

Regards,

Rana.

Last edited by rana_kirti : 11th September 2011 at 12:01.
Old 11th September 2011, 13:47   #3542
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
If Only you could have seen it in correct perspective , resale value indicates desirability which can be due to many reasons one of the reason which exists in economic theory was cited by me before but again copy pasted for your convenience and clarity below
And therefore in automotive parlance, Mercedes Benz sell because they are desirable and it has nothing to do with interiors, technology, safety, ride, handling etc etc? Oh by the way it still doesn't explain why Mercedes commands a poor resale value.

Quote:
Abnormal market behavior where consumers purchase the higher-priced goods whereas similar low-priced (but not identical) substitutes are available. It is caused either by the belief that higher price means higher quality, or by the desire for conspicuous consumption (to be seen as buying an expensive, prestige item). Named after its discoverer, the US social-critic Thorstein Bunde Veblen (1857-1929).
Why is it so hard to understand that higher priced product is indeed very high quality and works as advertised. Did you read the new JD Power survey which says iPhone consumers are most satisfied with their smartphones. On second thoughts, iPhone is the costliest yet the owners are most satisfied... can't be alll marketing can it?
The resale value is reflection of the desire for conspicuous consumption and being little low on affordability.[/quote]
Old 13th September 2011, 13:56   #3543
BHPian

^^ quality is what we pay for when it comes to Apple products. As a person we really dont mind paying a little extra just so that the quality of the product is better (i.e wont give you much of the hardware-software related issues).

I still remember using the Nokia 6610 when the symbian OS was newly launched and the number of OS bugs and the enormous restarts that my phone needed. Was a pain for sure !
Old 14th September 2011, 01:21   #3544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
And therefore in automotive parlance, Mercedes Benz sell because they are desirable and it has nothing to do with interiors, technology, safety, ride, handling etc etc? Oh by the way it still doesn't explain why Mercedes commands a poor resale value.
Because maintenance costs are way beyond affordability of 2nd buyer in India and for the buyers it is affordable the desirability ends for a 4 year old car.
Quote:

Why is it so hard to understand that higher priced product is indeed very high quality and works as advertised.
Any mobile phone today which passes GCF type certification works as desired.

Now just do a little experiment with your iPhone 4G , once the screen is locked call it from another phoen and try rejecting the call. You can just stop the ringer volume but there is no way to reject the call. Though I fully underatand apple fans will not find any problem but there are 2 issues.

1. for end user : cant indicate non verbally to caller that don't bug me now by call reject this would have been a huge blogging point against any other brand but condoned for apple after 5 years of mobile making.

2. For network unncessary hogging of paging channel

I can quote dozens of such examples which are actually considered bugs on other platforms.

Quote:
Did you read the new JD Power survey which says iPhone consumers are most satisfied with their smartphones. On second thoughts, iPhone is the costliest yet the owners are most satisfied... can't be alll marketing can it?
The resale value is reflection of the desire for conspicuous consumption and being little low on affordability.
Yes indeed they are forgiving lot and quite satisfied and that explains thaty Dr Velben's basic therory of microeconomics works all right.
Old 14th September 2011, 01:32   #3545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
ItI doubt Mr Veblen had any idea about how much Indians vale their money when making any purchase. Theories that apply to US/Europe do not necessarily work in all over the world.
Well how about Honda pricing or Sony pricing their goods way about elsewhere in world and being successful here ? Sony is an average AV brand outside India but for till very recently they charged premium here untill consumers became aware of other brand.

In terms of mobile phones Indian consumers are willing to spend a lot more then what Americans do , US buyers were used to buying 10$ phoen bundled with 2 years contract ( till 2007) and that was the reason Nokia which was market leader and was not much in to carrier business was far number 6 in US market. iPhone was able to extract only 200$ one time and rest in contracts in 2007 compared to that indian middle class buyers were used to buy 10 - 15 K Rs phoen ( 200 -300$) at the same time.

Quote:
And i am sure "desire for conspicuous consumption" is not the reason why a Swift D has better resale value than Indica Vista Q.
Swift D by no streatch of imaginartion is a velben good. May be you can crack the jokes but there are several time tested and proven models and velben is just one of them which applies in certain cases.

These may look laugahble but for product launch and pricing a lot of study goes in which has nothing to do with engineering of the product.

FYI retail BOM of iPhoen 4 is just 180$ so in bulk for apple it will be much less.

Last edited by amitk26 : 14th September 2011 at 01:33.
Old 14th September 2011, 06:44   #3546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26
Now just do a little experiment with your iPhone 4G , once the screen is locked call it from another phoen and try rejecting the call. You can just stop the ringer volume but there is no way to reject the call. Though I fully underatand apple fans will not find any problem.....
Yes indeed they are forgiving lot and quite satisfied and that explains thaty Dr Velben's basic therory of microeconomics works all right.
Dude! Please dont spread misinformation.

On iphone if the screen is locked, you can reject a call by pressing the button at the top twice! See the convenience here. If your phone rings when you are in a meeting, you can mute the ringer while you step out to take the call, or you press the button at the top twice and reject the call.

As they say, own it before you disown it
amitoj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 10:10   #3547
BANNED

Quote:
Because maintenance costs are way beyond affordability of 2nd buyer in India and for the buyers it is affordable the desirability ends for a 4 year old car.
I am not asking for the reason, I am just saying that your premise that desirability means higher resale is not right.

Quote:
Any mobile phone today which passes GCF type certification works as desired.
When I say it works, its the software. I have an iPhone 3GS with just a 600Mhz proc and 256 MB RAM and yet my phone hasn't slowed down, restarted or gave me out of memory error even when I have around 100 apps installed on it and its jailbroken.

Quote:
Now just do a little experiment with your iPhone 4G , once the screen is locked call it from another phoen and try rejecting the call. You can just stop the ringer volume but there is no way to reject the call. Though I fully underatand apple fans will not find any problem but there are 2 issues.

1. for end user : cant indicate non verbally to caller that don't bug me now by call reject this would have been a huge blogging point against any other brand but condoned for apple after 5 years of mobile making.

2. For network unncessary hogging of paging channel
Uh oh... just press that button again and the call will disconnect. I really thought you were cleverer than that!

Quote:
I can quote dozens of such examples which are actually considered bugs on other platforms.
Please quote and enlighten us.

Quote:
So if Apple customers are a satisfied lot and they themselves say it, they are forgiving even when they pay through their nose to buy an iPhone but if its non-apple, the users aren't aware... I would just say that no theory is a substitute for common sense.
akhilesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 14:11   #3548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not asking for the reason, I am just saying that your premise that desirability means higher resale is not right.
It still holds true.

Desirability results in demand and demand is fulfilled by purchase if affordability is there.
In case of iPhone resale price meets the affordability but in case of Mercedes affordability point is not reached as there is a continuous cost which is yet unaffordable. So a 2nd hand Mercedes is desirable to many but not affordable to those who desire.

Probably this link explains about the phenomenon in better words
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...luxury-brands/

A very good link from economist , it is about laptop but company pricing strategy is similar read the comments as well.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/freee...apples_and_pcs
Look at One comment poster Marton H

Here is a very interesting post from freakonomics dating back to 2007 on why exactly apple had to offer 100$ coupens

http://www.freakonomics.com/2007/09/...ics-textbooks/

Last edited by amitk26 : 14th September 2011 at 14:24.
Old 14th September 2011, 15:21   #3549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dude! Please dont spread misinformation.

On iphone if the screen is locked, you can reject a call by pressing the button at the top twice! See the convenience here. If your phone rings when you are in a meeting, you can mute the ringer while you step out to take the call, or you press the button at the top twice and reject the call.

As they say, own it before you disown it
What misinformation ? Why exactly company using a easy to use UI as primary USP should not have reject on locked screen in a similar manner to unlocked
and why user need to use power button on full touch phone ? Is it not a UX bug ?
Old 14th September 2011, 16:11   #3550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What misinformation ?
You said "there is no way to reject the call" on iphone when screen is locked. If that is not misinformation then we dont have any corrupt politicians either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I hope this is documented at Apple site and not some rumour.
Wow.
Anyway, you are most welcome to get hold of an iphone and test it out. Test of the pudding.
Works on my Iphone 3GS though, for what its worth and if thats good enough.

EDIT: For your reference Samurai:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...user_guide.pdf
page 62

Last edited by amitoj : 14th September 2011 at 16:29.
Old 14th September 2011, 17:07   #3551
Team-BHP Support

In the last 2 years, I have used WinMob Pro, iOS and Android, each for at least 5 months or more. And I never read the user manual for any one of them. That means I mainly depended on the friendliness of the OS. In my experience, iOS was the only OS where I had to frequently check the web to find out how to do many mundane tasks. May be I am not techie enough or lack intelligence. Just stating the fact, I am not a fan of any of the above OS.
Old 14th September 2011, 17:25   #3552
Senior - BHPian

I was in the same predicament, @samurai, with BB making the water murkier for me. Never read the manual of any one of them - just played around till I found the actions for exactly what I was trying to do (kind of the same thing on all the phones). Figured out iOS the same way. The transition to it was not so traumatic, as say from BB to WiMo or Android or vice-versa.
Old 14th September 2011, 17:44   #3553
Team-BHP Support

I found iOS quite difficult that way. How to delete a SMS took the longest to figure out. There was no menu and I didn't want to read the manual. I guess we old techies are the most reluctant to read the manual.
Old 14th September 2011, 17:55   #3554
Senior - BHPian

In my iPhone while incoming call I get the choice of answer or decline.It is not for all calls. When some calls come there is no choice of decline or answer. What I do is I silence it with pressing the volume switch on the left.
Old 14th September 2011, 18:10   #3555
BHPian

Hi All,

Let me explain what i exactly do.

scenario 1: when the phone is unlocked and there is a incoming call, we have option either to answer or decline. this is easy.

scenario 2: however when the phone is locked and we get a call, either press volume button to silent it out and it gets gets cut after few rings. however if u dont wish to accept and you want to disconnect immediately the call you can also press the lock or on the topsleep button when incoming call has arrived. that will decline the call voila u cut the call which u dint intend to answer. let me know if it works for you. it works for me

Last edited by Endofdayz : 14th September 2011 at 18:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks