Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2018, 10:31   #11041
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Quick question - does the top notch on the X bother you at all?

Ugh.. someone please stop me from going mad over this decision.
I just moved to iPhone X from my 2.5 years old 6s Plus and the notch does not bother me one bit so much so that I have stopped noticing it now. To be honest I do not even understand all the noise regarding the notch as the top of the screen is usually kept for notification and some general information and not much else.

As for Android, to me Samsung phone's make good showroom floor devices and terrible when used day in and day out. Ofcourse you are not going to notice the difference if you use your phone only for Whats app and calls but there is absolutely no comparison when it comes to implementation between Apple and Samsung. Proof: Use AR Emoji and then use Animoji and tell me how incredibly poor Samsung's implementation is. All they want is feature parity with the iPhone with no consideration given to how usable those features are. Even the headline biometric security feature like Iris scanner is almost unusable in real life and they still do not have an answer to hardware tech like the Touch ID and the Face ID.

If Android is what you want, look at Pixel 2. A much better phone overall.
Old 19th March 2018, 13:07   #11042
BHPian

Quote:

I travel frequently and it's a pain to keep switching from India number to overseas numbers. Any other solution you have in mind other than carrying two phones?

TIA.
I use an SE & a 6s. SE has work sim and 6s personal. Why i use 2 iPhones is to maintain coherence between charging, syncing and UI. I leave the office phone in the office

I have tried the sim adapter and both numbers don't work together. You need to switch and choose which number you want active.

There is/used to be a BT phone called Yerha. Look them up. Maybe that could solve your dilemma.

http://www.yerha.com/content/8-talkase

And if you want to go Android, stock Android like Pixel/Nokia are the only options. Samsung is just plain eye-candy which makes you repent within a month.
Old 19th March 2018, 14:49   #11043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
they still do not have an answer to hardware tech like the Touch ID and the Face ID.
You seem to be living inside a bubble if you think that Android phones don't have fingerprint sensors and face unlock features.
Even a 7k Redmi has a perfectly working fingerprint sensor and due to updates even a OP3 has flawless implementation of face unlock.
On my Honor View 10, I don't even have to use any button. Picking up the phone switches on the screen and the phone unlocks by itself by using Face unlock.
Old 19th March 2018, 15:10   #11044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Picking up the phone switches on the screen and the phone unlocks by itself by using Face unlock.
Opening the phone using fingerprint/iris is different than using them for payment verification. If I am not wrong, no Android permits purchasing or authorising a purchase over fingerprint/iris scan.
Old 19th March 2018, 15:23   #11045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You seem to be living inside a bubble if you think that Android phones don't have fingerprint sensors and face unlock features.
Even a 7k Redmi has a perfectly working fingerprint sensor and due to updates even a OP3 has flawless implementation of face unlock.
On my Honor View 10, I don't even have to use any button. Picking up the phone switches on the screen and the phone unlocks by itself by using Face unlock.
My bad. Thats a typo. I meant 3D touch not touch id.
Old 19th March 2018, 15:24   #11046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Opening the phone using fingerprint/iris is different than using them for payment verification. If I am not wrong, no Android permits purchasing or authorising a purchase over fingerprint/iris scan.
Yes, you are wrong. It doesn't take long to do a simple google search before making such claims.

Both Google Pay and Samsung Pay support fingerprint authentication for making payments. In fact Google even has a Fingerprint and Payment API which allows any app developer to integrate fingerprint authentication in their app.
Old 19th March 2018, 15:40   #11047
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, you are wrong. It doesn't take long to do a simple google search before making such claims.
So, Iris is still a gimmick on Android and doesn't permit payment option. How can I be wrong, if part of what I said is correct.
Sorry to waste your precious time in forcing you to post answers to facts, of which, I was unaware of, due to no access to google in office.
Old 19th March 2018, 16:15   #11048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
So, Iris is still a gimmick on Android and doesn't permit payment option. How can I be wrong, if part of what I said is correct.
Sorry to waste your precious time in forcing you to post answers to facts, of which, I was unaware of, due to no access to google in office.
Not all Android phones have Iris scanner . I only know of Samsung phones having Iris scanners and Samsung Pay does support Iris scanning as an authentication for making payments.
Old 19th March 2018, 16:34   #11049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Also updated the Apple Watch Series 2 to Series 3 with Cellular to complement the new device First impressions:

8. Finally no worries getting it wet!
As for your point number 8, would request you to be still be highly careful about this. The phone is IP67 certified which is similar to iPhone 7. I say so because I have already suffered water damage to my iPhone 7 plus last year, which was thankfully covered by insurance else I would've had to shell out 29k for a replacement device.

Last edited by akhil994 : 19th March 2018 at 16:35. Reason: Just saw the OP's Location.
Old 20th March 2018, 09:27   #11050
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I might change from an iPhone to an android in coming days. Whatever back up I have in iCloud, can it be synced with Google? Or any platform which can be used by an android and I don’t lose out on data.
Let me rephrase my question. On an iPhone, can we sync it with Google than with iCloud?
Old 20th March 2018, 11:58   #11051
BHPian

Quote:
Let me rephrase my question. On an iPhone, can we sync it with Google than with iCloud?
You can transfer data from iphone to android phones (Specifically Samsung) using icloud. As for syncing data from iphone to google service instead of icloud, that can be done as well. Google Card dav for contacts, google photos for photos, google drive for documents. whatsapp messages to google drive, and most high end android phones these days support sms transfer from iphone to new android device natively.
Hope this helps.
Old 20th March 2018, 12:18   #11052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ugh.. someone please stop me from going mad over this decision.
If you can wait for about 6 months, there are rumors that the X plus phone with a 6.5" screen is expected to come with a Dual-SIM option. This rumor has been going around since iPhone 6 I guess, but this year Apple may finally do something considering the disappointing sales of the X.
Old 20th March 2018, 12:35   #11053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
the X plus phone with a 6.5" screen is expected to come with a Dual-SIM option.
Dual Sim and Apple . Considering the requirement for the same is also from Chinese users, I hope they do consider along with FM radio.
Old 20th March 2018, 13:31   #11054
BHPian

Quote:

You can use IFTTT app to sync with google.
Old 21st March 2018, 18:04   #11055
Team-BHP Support

A new bug, based on a Telugu character, in iOS 11.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ios-11-...t-iphone-x-ad/

11 has been such a facepalm moment for Apple.

Most Viewed