Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2018, 14:57   #11161
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjax View Post
I agree that all networks are the same. It is just that we feel that the grass is greener on the other side.

If I remember correctly, this used to happen with me too on a Vodafone sim in Mumbai on my 6s. It has been 3 months that I have ported to Airtel ( to get LTE as the same wasn't available on Vodafone for the iPhones then). I haven't noticed it happening with Airtel.
Do you have LTE with Vodafone in Bangalore?

I feel Vodafone has deteriorated network wise. My whole family is on Vodafone with their iPhones and just for a change I had switched over to Airtel. After the change, I have no reasons to complaint. Infact where I couldn't get 4G data inside my house, Airtel has. Then again some places Vodafone trumps Airtel. Always a good decision to have 2 different networks within the household.
Old 11th June 2018, 16:11   #11162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Great !!! so you saved around 10K in the process. Any specific billing plan of Airtel already working with existing plan?
Thanks!

The only Airtel requirement is "Customer should be on Airtel Postpaid plan (Infinity or Myplan) with 4G service."

The other requirements from Apple are:
2. Should be on iPhone on iOS 11.3 or above version
3. Compatible handsets are:
iPhone SE, iPhone 6 / 6 Plus, iPhone 6s / 6s Plus, iPhone 7 / 7 Plus,
iPhone 8 / 8 Plus, iPhone X
Old 12th June 2018, 09:48   #11163
ZMG
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

So a few weeks back, I had mentioned about my iPhone 5s battery dying.
I have gone ahead and changed the battery at iService in Koramangla for INR 2000.

The battery now lasts me almost a day, which is good enough for me.
Also, I believe one of the reasons the last battery died sooner, was because the touch ID had stopped working, and that was draining the battery, there was a loose connection.

So after I got the new battery, on day 1, the battery was draining, went back and got the touch ID fixed, and it seems to be working well.

I am a little skeptical about this new battery, as I saw one person who had got a battery fixed on his 6s, and the battery bulged and damaged his screen a little.

Hope all will be okay with my phone, and I can use it till next September.
Old 12th June 2018, 10:42   #11164
Distinguished - BHPian

Over the last six months I noticed that the battery on my iPhone 6s was dying. There is this battery option now in the setting where you can check battery health. It was showing 80-81%. It also showed various power downs.

So I checked the Apple support pages to find mine was part of a small batch made towards end 2015, eligible for a few battery swap. Took it to my local Apple reseller here in the Netherlands and a few days later it was ready. Huge difference with the new battery.

Very happy with the service and the phone
Jeroen
Old 13th June 2018, 19:57   #11165
BHPian

Hi guys,

My iPhone SE's screen now has 2 lines across on top in the notification area and a black spot of about 1 cm dia near the battery indicator. Online search reveals that the screen is broken and the liquid from LCD has come on top which is the black spot. It probably happened as my phone is used by my kids and they often drop it and use it with wet hands. My question is, do you have any idea of how much it would cost to replace the screen at an Apple store and other stores. Also has anyone tried DIY as it seems not so difficult. I already have the tools required and need to purchase only the touch screen. If I have to go the DIY way, any recommendation for getting the screen online - where can I get genuine Apple screen and if this is not possible which is the closest to being genuine. Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 19th June 2018, 19:28   #11166
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Thanks!

The only Airtel requirement is "Customer should be on Airtel Postpaid plan (Infinity or Myplan) with 4G service."

The other requirements from Apple are:
2. Should be on iPhone on iOS 11.3 or above version
3. Compatible handsets are:
iPhone SE, iPhone 6 / 6 Plus, iPhone 6s / 6s Plus, iPhone 7 / 7 Plus,
iPhone 8 / 8 Plus, iPhone X
What is the exact specification I should look for while buying?
Old 19th June 2018, 21:38   #11167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
What is the exact specification I should look for while buying?
Just ensure you're buying the following. Link is from Apple HK but valid worldwide. Scroll down the page.

https://www.apple.com/hk/en/watch/cellular/

Apple Watch Series 3
Model A1889 (38mm)
Model A1891 (42mm)

Last edited by itwasntme : 19th June 2018 at 21:39.
Old 8th July 2018, 09:17   #11168
BHPian

Hope I am posting in the right place. An acquaintance has won a set of Air Pods in a lucky draw and is wanting to let them go. They are brand new and unopened. I normally wouldn't have been interested at 12k.Thinking of offering 7-8k. Is it worth it? Only downside is the next generation Air Pods are coming soon. I am used to Sennheiser CX275 , would I be disappointed with sound quality ? Guys, please let me know your thoughts soon.I can't make up my mind. Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 13:30   #11169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Hope I am posting in the right place. An acquaintance has won a set of Air Pods in a lucky draw and is wanting to let them go. They are brand new and unopened. I normally wouldn't have been interested at 12k.Thinking of offering 7-8k. Is it worth it? Only downside is the next generation Air Pods are coming soon. I am used to Sennheiser CX275 , would I be disappointed with sound quality ? Guys, please let me know your thoughts soon.I can't make up my mind. Thanks

Considering they cost USD 160 ( approx Rs 11200) in the US, ,INR 6~8000 seems fair.
Old 9th July 2018, 15:55   #11170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
The only thing I would be vary of is new AirPods but that aside, AirPods according to many is the best product Apple has launched in the recent years. It may not be audiophile quality but they sound good, are positively tiny and upwards of iPhone 7, an absolute doddle to pair. The comfort and convenience and their size makes them pretty unique in the segment. I would say go for it.
Old 16th July 2018, 07:16   #11171
BHPian

My iPhone 7 32GB got short circuited when my wife splashed milk on the phone while it was charging. Didn't have any damage immediately but realised later that evening that the phone wasn't charging. I tried several options of chargers and bricks yet nothing worked. I've sent it to Bangalore for my dad to take it to the apple service. Now, I'm not sure if that'd be back in time and costs, quality involved in fixing it.

I'm really looking to upgrade to a 7 plus but the 6S plus is financially very appealing. I'm also hoping there'd be some offers on Prime Day today on Amazon.

I'm unable to make up my mind as 6S plus is an older model if I should go for it. I join meetings through my phone sometimes and sometimes the phone becomes my primary computer, hence the plus variant. Also, the camera off-late is being put to good use to capture my daughter's non-stop action.

Will a 6s plus make sense over a 7 plus - financially and not technologically very distinct from each other ? Please advice.
Old 16th July 2018, 10:35   #11172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
M

Will a 6s plus make sense over a 7 plus - financially and not technologically very distinct from each other ? Please advice.

The 7 Plus is definitely worth the upgrade over the 6S Plus. You will definitely enjoy the brilliant performance and the amazing camera of the phone. The only minor inconvenience could be the lack of a headphone jack for the situations where you want to both charge your phone and listen to music or use an aux cable and you are not carrying the adapter provided.

I've been using one since October 2016 and have been thoroughly satisfied with it!

Plus it will offer you IP67 rated water resistance which the 6S Plus will not.
Old 21st July 2018, 11:23   #11173
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it better purchasing an iPhone from the US? It is about 8k cheaper. Will it support all networks in India? Will the warranty be global?
Old 21st July 2018, 11:36   #11174
BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Is it better purchasing an iPhone from the US? It is about 8k cheaper. Will it support all networks in India? Will the warranty be global?

I bought iPhone 8 plus from the US, directly from apple.com online, just to be sure of the quality of the product I buy. ( based on my past experience with Samsung - Korean vs Indian models and the vast difference in their quality, I thus picked the iPhone from USA ).
It has served me for a year or so with no issues and connects to all networks afaik. Yes I benefited from the cheaper price of course. Its not just me but many of my friends and relatives do the same. However I don't know whether the warranty applies in India too ( I hope it does ) .
Usually Amazon USA shows mobile phone items either with USA warranty or international model with no warranty and I would prefer the former and I applied the same thought on my iPhone purchase too.

Last edited by cs_rajesh : 21st July 2018 at 11:38.
Old 21st July 2018, 13:13   #11175
BHPian

Apple has International Warranty now, so one can buy from anywhere in the world. We can also purchase the 2nd year extended warranty/apple care in India for phones purchased in USA.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks