Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2018, 23:00   #11026
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Why did this happen and how to disable it? I couldn’t even key in the password.

My daughter had my phone and she was playing with it.
This happens when the wrong passcode is entered multiple times.
Old 12th March 2018, 08:49   #11027
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why did this happen and how to disable it? I couldn’t even key in the password.

My daughter had my phone and she was playing with it.
You are lucky it is just disabled for five minutes. When I set up my office email on the phone, it installed some Device Management policies; one of them is: phone will get wiped off and reset after five wrong passcode attempts.

Worse, the passcode needs to be changed periodically (I think six months).
Old 12th March 2018, 09:43   #11028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
You are lucky it is just disabled for five minutes. When I set up my office email on the phone, it installed some Device Management policies; one of them is: phone will get wiped off and reset after five wrong passcode attempts.
The worse thing happened to me as well and that too when on vacation. Kid was playing the phone, locked out, passcode entered incorrectly 5 times and boom phone is wiped out.

Unable to activate/restore too since no network. Total blasphemy for 3 days
Old 12th March 2018, 13:20   #11029
BHPian

Inside Settings> Touch ID & Passcode > Erase Data ( all the way down), switch this off, if it is on.
This will prevent data getting wiped after 10 wrong attempts. Also helps in getting thieves frustrated as no amount of wrong entry will erase the data.
Old 12th March 2018, 13:32   #11030
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Inside Settings> Touch ID & Passcode > Erase Data ( all the way down), switch this off, if it is on.
This will prevent data getting wiped after 10 wrong attempts. Also helps in getting thieves frustrated as no amount of wrong entry will erase the data.
Well, the Device Management policies have greyed out this option. No point enforcing a policy if it can be turned off.
Old 12th March 2018, 13:46   #11031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Well, the Device Management policies have greyed out this option.
Yes, MDM policies cannot be overridden. They would rather wipe the Data than to worry about the handset being exposed to hackers if lost.
Old 17th March 2018, 12:31   #11032
Team-BHP Support

I might change from an iPhone to an android in coming days. Whatever back up I have in iCloud, can it be synced with Google? Or any platform which can be used by an android and I don’t lose out on data.
Old 17th March 2018, 13:01   #11033
BHPian

Contacts and Calendar shouldn't be a problem. What other data do you want synced?
Just as iPhone has an 'import from android' option while setting up a new phone, Android should have a similar import option.
Old 17th March 2018, 13:05   #11034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I might change from an iPhone to an android in coming days. Whatever back up I have in iCloud, can it be synced with Google? Or any platform which can be used by an android and I don’t lose out on data.
The Pixels have an import from iPhone option. WhatApp messages and contents is not importable without a dedicated application available online as the messages are backed up on iCloud which Android's setup process cannot access natively.
Old 17th March 2018, 14:58   #11035
Team-BHP Support

iMessages/SMS
Pictures
Videos
Notes/Reminders
Old 17th March 2018, 15:24   #11036
BHPian

Notes can be emailed, Pictures & Videos can be accessed just by connecting the iPhone to your PC. It shows as a drive. SMS's try the app store for an exporter.
Old 17th March 2018, 16:25   #11037
Senior - BHPian

Finally bit the bullet and replaced my 6s Plus with an iPhone X 256GB. There was no reason to replace the 6s Plus, it was still performing flawlessly like it always has, but after 2.5 years of using the same phone, I thought it was time to move on. Also updated the Apple Watch Series 2 to Series 3 with Cellular to complement the new device First impressions:
1. The screen is absolutely gorgeous. This is the first truly bezeless phone. (The others have chins on the top and the bottom). I think we dont give Apple enough credit but they had to fold the screen internally to achieve the bezelessness.
2. The in-hand feel is incredible. It feels like an expensive device. The build as always is blooming awesome.
3. The gesture driven interface is second nature now. Its only been a few days since I have had it and I was already swiping up on other phones to go "home"
4. The smoothness. This is the smoothest iPhone ever and all the gestures work flawlessly. Even though it does not have the 120hz screen, the touch subsystem works at 120hz making it extra smooth.
5. Dual camera system is great and takes great pictures but so did my 6s Plus.
6. Face ID is great. I love how notification do not show content until you look at the phone and it recognizes you.
7. Dual speakers are loud and clear!
8. Finally no worries getting it wet!
9. Wireless charging!
10. Portrait lighting is great when it works (Its still in beta)

What not good:
1. Its expensive! 256GB is plenty of storage but its even more expensive than the base 64GB phone which is already expensive.
2. The meticulously polished steel frame is very prone to fine scratches since I am using the phone without a case for now. Good thing is that it can be polished to near new look with a rubbing compound.
3. No fast charger in the box. At this price it should come with Airpods in the box!
Old 18th March 2018, 18:22   #11038
BHPian

Folks,

Anyone using a dual SIM adapter for your iPhone?

https://www.magic-sim.com/products/d...al-sim-adapter

http://www.simore.com/en/iphone-x-du...-x-twin-x.html

I travel frequently and it's a pain to keep switching from India number to overseas numbers. Any other solution you have in mind other than carrying two phones?

TIA.
Old 18th March 2018, 22:23   #11039
Senior - BHPian

Any other solution? Switch to android! Apple's primitive controlling nature has never come up with any solution to a simple dual sim problem, something even a non-smart phone could do for over a decade now. The dual sim workarounds for iphone are never as efficient or simple as android simple because of the closed nature (and mind) of Apple IOS.
Old 19th March 2018, 10:22   #11040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Any other solution? Switch to android! Apple's primitive controlling nature has never come up with any solution to a simple dual sim problem, something even a non-smart phone could do for over a decade now. The dual sim workarounds for iphone are never as efficient or simple as android simple because of the closed nature (and mind) of Apple IOS.
I wish it was that simple, my friend. First of all, I am such an overthinking type of person. Before this iPhone I had Android phones and it was great except for all the niggles. Now I have iOS and it's quite easy to use and stable too. But my iPhone 6 is on it's last legs - it just can't cope up with my demanding punishment.

I am going to try out both the S9 and the X today. Maybe once I get my hands on it, I'll feel a lot better. I am worried about Samsung's laziness in bringing updates to the Android base OS (I hear the folks on S8 are still running an older version).

Quick question - does the top notch on the X bother you at all?

Ugh.. someone please stop me from going mad over this decision.

Last edited by Mad Max : 19th March 2018 at 10:23. Reason: Adding more content

Most Viewed